#1 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

So, lately, I've been interested in getting into the webcomic business, and since my current comp is crap ATM, I decided that I want to get a new comp for the launch of the site. Lately, I've been reading on what comp to get when the time that I have enough money comes, and many say that for artists, Mac is better. I've always been a Windows guy though, and I'm not yet convinced. Why are Macs good for artists, specifically?

#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20264 posts) - - Show Bio

I use Windows and use Adobe Flash and I'm perfectly fine with it.

#3 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah. Well, the one thing I'm absolutely sure about is that I'm not getting Windows 8!

#4 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

I use Windows and use Adobe Flash and I'm perfectly fine with it.

Yup I've had goodluck with it in the past too.

#5 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

Ah. Well, the one thing I'm absolutely sure about is that I'm not getting Windows 8!

Why not? Haven't heard much about it but I don't find it bad. In fact I find Apple products highly overrated and sometimes overpriced. They function almost the same as other products, maybe slightly better, and boost the price up a hundred or so. Plus, it's really monopoly. Everything is "if you don't have an Apple product you can't transfer this" and iTunes steals from artists.

#6 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@Funrush said:

Why not? Haven't heard much about it but I don't find it bad. In fact I find Apple products highly overrated and sometimes overpriced. They function almost the same as other products, maybe slightly better, and boost the price up a hundred or so. Plus, it's really monopoly. Everything is "if you don't have an Apple product you can't transfer this" and iTunes steals from artists.

Well, no, I meant that if I do get Windows, I'm sticking with Windows 7, as the UI for 8 is terrible. It's designed for touch phones and tablets, but the problem is that most probably won't use it for that, they want to use it as a desktop (or laptop).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4boTbv9_nU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIq_wl-KBjk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyc1RVCXvAk&feature=related

The above videos are of people (young and old) trying out Windows 8 for the first time, and either being really confused or having no idea at all how to do what they're trying to do.

#7 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush: I see. It really looks more like a mobile version. It's alright I guess. I might stick to Windows 7 myself.

#8 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

You could have someone build you a badass computer for half the cost of a mac duder. You wouldn't regret it either!

#9 Posted by Vance Astro (91238 posts) - - Show Bio
@Funrush said:

So, lately, I've been interested in getting into the webcomic business, and since my current comp is crap ATM, I decided that I want to get a new comp for the launch of the site. Lately, I've been reading on what comp to get when the time that I have enough money comes, and many say that for artists, Mac is better. I've always been a Windows guy though, and I'm not yet convinced. Why are Macs good for artists, specifically?

Programs that are used for art like The Adobe Suite,Poser,Autodesk Maya and 3ds etc. just run better on Mac.
#10 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

You could have someone build you a badass computer for half the cost of a mac duder. You wouldn't regret it either!

I actually have been considering that lately. It really would crush the whole problem with the fact that most PC manufacturers have terrible customer service. The thing is though, I may know my way around an OS pretty well, but I have no idea how computer hardware works, so I would have to have someone else build it for me. Have any of you guys hired people to make custom PC's, and if so, how much did it cost? And where did you get it from?

#11 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Better Yet, He could learn how to build his own computer and maintain it for free.

#12 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Better Yet, He could learn how to build his own computer and maintain it for free.

If he has the know how I'd highly advise doing that!@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

I actually have been considering that lately. It really would crush the whole problem with the fact that most PC manufacturers have terrible customer service. The thing is though, I may know my way around an OS pretty well, but I have no idea how computer hardware works, so I would have to have someone else build it for me. Have any of you guys hired people to make custom PC's, and if so, how much did it cost? And where did you get it from?

I have yes. I have a rather badass ASUS now but all through high school I used machine that my cousin built for me and it was one of the best computers I've ever used. I don't really know what you're looking for in a computer but I've never heard of anyone charging nearly as much as a high end Mac costs. The only real upside I ever had with a Mac is they almost never get viruses.

#13 Posted by lagoon_boy (10954 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they're expensive.

#14 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

I have yes. I have a rather badass ASUS now but all through high school I used machine that my cousin built for me and it was one of the best computers I've ever used. I don't really know what you're looking for in a computer but I've never heard of anyone charging nearly as much as a high end Mac costs. The only real upside I ever had with a Mac is they almost never get viruses.

Well, would a high end custom PC cost under $1000? That's the budget I'm looking at.

#15 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Well, would a high end custom PC cost under $1000? That's the budget I'm looking at.

Depends, What will you be doing on It. Will you be using software that allows you to draw on the computer with special electronic pencils, etc.

#16 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Macs are the industry standard in the design industry (visual communication, graphic design, animation, etc). They tend to be more powerful than other computers, and like Vance said, they run a lot of the design software better than other computers.

#17 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18079 posts) - - Show Bio

Dont know guess you will have to ask him.

#18 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Depends, What will you be doing on It. Will you be using software that allows you to draw on the computer with special electronic pencils, etc.

Probably not immediately, but eventually (once I get the cash together for one), yes. I would also like it to be generally fast in terms of speed, and play games decently.

Maybe something with specs close to this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+XPS+Desktop+-+12GB+Memory+-+2TB+Hard+Drive/5773263.p?id=1218694832826&skuId=5773263

#19 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

They are roughly equal nowadays because they use the same hardware. PC is slightly ahead due to upgradability.

#20 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Probably not immediately, but eventually (once I get the cash together for one), yes. I would also like it to be generally fast in terms of speed, and play games decently.

Maybe something with specs close to this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+XPS+Desktop+-+12GB+Memory+-+2TB+Hard+Drive/5773263.p?id=1218694832826&skuId=5773263

nice

#21 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

nice

Man that will be a BADASS computer if you can hook it up. Mine is 8GB memory+ 1TB and it's a monster by my terms. (I grew up with windows 98 soooo...it's easy to impress me!)

#22 Edited by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

nice

Raised with windows 95, I know your pain.

D:

#23 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

nice

Man that will be a BADASS computer if you can hook it up. Mine is 8GB memory+ 1TB and it's a monster by my terms. (I grew up with windows 98 soooo...it's easy to impress me!)

Well, how much cheaper would that be if I wanted to build it myself? Thinking back, one of my friends's brother built his own PC so I might hire him, do you know how much I should pay him to put it together? Like I said, I know almost nothing about how PC's are built, and watching some tutorials probably won't help me.

#24 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@utotheg38 said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

nice

Well, how much cheaper would that be if I wanted to build it myself? Thinking back, one of my friends's brother built his own PC so I might hire him.

He may charge you an arm and a leg though.

#25 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends if you know your stuff. Do you know how a board works? Good grasp of the OS you want? If not it's really best to have someone do it for you. Not trying to be snotty really. But with the hardware it will always be cheaper to have someone build you a a good machine (provided they aren't trying to rip you off)

#26 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

It depends if you know your stuff. Do you know how a board works? Good grasp of the OS you want? If not it's really best to have someone do it for you. Not trying to be snotty really. But with the hardware it will always be cheaper to have someone build you a a good machine (provided they aren't trying to rip you off)

I don't know how a board works. I am pretty sure on Win 7 Ultimate. I was thinking of ordering the good majority of the parts (At least the Hard Drive, RAM, DVD/Blu Ray drive, and processor), and paying the guy to assemble them.

#27 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Idon't know how a board works. I am pretty sure on Win 7 Ultimate. I was thinking of ordering the good majority of the parts (exceptions being motherboards, or shells), and paying the guy to assemble them.

Its best to find a top of the line motherboard (Plenty of PCIe slots, usb 3.0, And of course how much can the motherboards be expanded)

#28 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

@Funrush said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Idon't know how a board works. I am pretty sure on Win 7 Ultimate. I was thinking of ordering the good majority of the parts (exceptions being motherboards, or shells), and paying the guy to assemble them.

Its best to find a top of the line motherboard (Plenty of PCIe slots, usb 3.0, And of course how much can the motherboards be expanded)

Yeah, I know zero about things like motherboards, I'll probably have the guy order one there.