• 108 results
#1 Posted by YoungJustice (6919 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I am not talking about every single kid in the world. Just a large majority. I feel like a lot of kids today are ungrateful as f*ck. One day my cousin and just happened to both be sleeping over my grandmothers house. My grandma let us keep the TV on when she had to work the next day. She told us to watch the movie on the channel and to stay on the channel. When the movie was over me and my cousin both were still awake. It was like 11:00 at night. He asked if I could to the channel. I said no since our grandmother said not to change the channel. He went on a hissy fit and woke my grandma up just because he didn't want to stay on the channel. How ungrateful is that. When I was 9 I would be happy that I was even allowed to watch TV unsupervised. Does anyone remember when you got up Saturday morning to watch whatever came on. Now kids just say ( I have heard a kid say this) " Can't we just watch it on on demand". Like seriously. Does anyone know why kids are so spoiled and ungrateful now.

#2 Posted by The Stegman (25964 posts) - - Show Bio

lack of respect due to lack of punishment.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio

mmmm.... too much convenience. 

#4 Posted by zombietag (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

cool story bro

#5 Posted by YoungJustice (6919 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombietag: I know it is. -_-

#6 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

oh boy, not another "My generation sucks thread."

#7 Posted by YoungJustice (6919 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: Yup. Until it stops sucking theses are still going to pop up.

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91403 posts) - - Show Bio

Parenting sucks.

#9 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

Parents should whip that belt out more often.

#10 Posted by Deadcool (6752 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

...Thank god you are not a father...

#11 Posted by Joygirl (19951 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like where this is going. Hey everyone, look what I can do! >.> *juggles babies*

#12 Posted by PurpleCandy (791 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry I didn't read your post, simply because I lost faith in humanity along time ago. I don't expect much from these primitive earthlings anymore.

#13 Posted by The Stegman (25964 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool: Punishment does not equal physical beating, I see kids in stores all the time whining cause they can't get a toy they want and the parents just buy it for them, they keep thinking they can get whatever they want by doing whatever they want cause they can, parents need to act like parents and say no, and if the kid keeps at it, take away other privileges. 
#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool: I think lack of discipline would have been a better way to put it. When I was a kid I knew that when I did bad things there would be consequences unfortunately now days many seem to believe that any effort to discipline kids is the same as abusing children. While I am against beating kids I do believe that they should know when they do something wrong there will be consequences. Not only does it lead to better behaved kids, it better prepares them to deal with the real world cause when these kids whose parents spoil rotten and act like their children can do no wrong get out in the real world they're gonna get crushed cause they'll go out believing the world owes them something just for being alive and won't know how to deal with it when they find out the world doesn't see it that way.

#15 Posted by Deadcool (6752 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: My dad never punished me, neither my mom, they just talked to me more often...

#16 Posted by The Stegman (25964 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool: Well, that can work for some..not for others, for example, I was pretty good as a kid, however when I did act up, my mom would disciplne me based on the thing I acted out about, for instance, I once wanted to get a certain movie and made a fuss (this was me at ten) and mom tried to tell me to stop it, I didn't listen, so she literally took away my tv for five days...I got the message and didn't do it again.
#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadcool said:

@The Stegman: My dad never punished me, neither my mom, they just talked to me more often...

Doesn't work with every kid. My mom and Dad, HAD TO punish me or else I would have kept doing whatever I wanted. Talking didn't do anything for me. Being accepted by my peers was more important.
#18 Posted by PikminMania (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

So true. Don't blame the kids, its mainly the bad parenting.

#19 Posted by White Mage (18748 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

Now I am not talking about every single kid in the world. Just a large majority. I feel like a lot of kids today are ungrateful as f*ck. One day my cousin and just happened to both be sleeping over my grandmothers house. My grandma let us keep the TV on when she had to work the next day. She told us to watch the movie on the channel and to stay on the channel. When the movie was over me and my cousin both were still awake. It was like 11:00 at night. He asked if I could to the channel. I said no since our grandmother said not to change the channel. He went on a hissy fit and woke my grandma up just because he didn't want to stay on the channel. How ungrateful is that. When I was 9 I would be happy that I was even allowed to watch TV unsupervised. Does anyone remember when you got up Saturday morning to watch whatever came on. Now kids just say ( I have heard a kid say this) " Can't we just watch it on on demand". Like seriously. Does anyone know why kids are so spoiled and ungrateful now.

..............................I would've been mad too.......He may need a moderate slap upside the head for the tantrum though.....that ain't cute......that's why I never did them.

#20 Posted by Rumble Man (11073 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

high five bro

#21 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4763 posts) - - Show Bio

I learned how to behave watching the Cosby Show, but to watch TV I had to make it past the dog fights, dirty needles and gang shootouts in the living room.

#22 Posted by White Mage (18748 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

I learned how to behave watching the Cosby Show, but to watch TV I had to make it past the dog fights, dirty needles and gang shootouts in the living room.

:O

#23 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

I blame the cyber space!

#24 Posted by Swagger462 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” - Socrates

The fact is the opinion you have is not a recent one caused by lax discipline or modern society. It seems that every generation has been thought of as spoiled and rude by the one that preceded them. My theory on why this is is because even though technology and culture does change over time I feel that if you all look back on your childhood, and I mean really look back without using the lens of rationality and justification you'll find that odds are you were a little c*nt too. I know I was.

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it funny when kids talk about their parents sucking for not buying them a video game or for grounding them, while I still flinch at the sight of hot wheel tracks thanks to my dad ( I DO NOT recommend his style of discipline to anyone).

#26 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I find it funny when kids talk about their parents sucking for not buying them a video game or for grounding them, while I still flinch at the sight of hot wheel tracks thanks to my dad ( I DO NOT recommend his style of discipline to anyone).

But did it work is the question?

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: It was a very effective way of telling me to get the hell out of sight when dad brought home a case of beer. But actual discipline was something I learned from my Grandpa

#28 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: And look at you now a fully functioning member of society.... you are a fully functioning member of society right? Keep in mind it doesn't have to be this society.. it can be any as long as you are a functioning member of said society.

#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: Yes but it wasn't because of my dad, it was because my Grandpa knew of something more effective than an ass whipping, Work, when we lived with him and we did something wrong it meant all our free time for the next week would be dedicated to working our asses off none of that soft grounding and time out BS kids get today, he was of the theory if you broke a window then you were going to learn how to fix a window.

#30 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@Swagger462: My uncle once told me you're not truly an adult until you realize how much of a prick you were as a kid

#31 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Sounds like a smart man.

But to be back on topic, kids are way more rotten today then when I was a kid and I was a terror, but I at least would possible feel bad or embarrassed if I did something wrong. These kids don't have that, they don't know shame, so they run rough shot over their parents, teachers, or anyone they can that is in an authoritative role over them. Then you have those who enable them, those "You can't spank your child," "Oh my god your grounding your child you are a horrible parent," types that every time I see them I want to strangle them.

#32 Posted by YoungJustice (6919 posts) - - Show Bio

@NovaPrime Exactly. I hate those types.

#33 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: All good parents know a kid needs discipline, some kids a talking to works, some need something harsher (not abuse but an actual punishment) but what doesn't work is coddling, it leads to not just spoiled kids but also worthless adults whose only real shot at success is reality TV

#34 Posted by Swagger462 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Nova`Prime`: All good parents know a kid needs discipline, some kids a talking to works, some need something harsher (not abuse but an actual punishment) but what doesn't work is coddling, it leads to not just spoiled kids but also worthless adults whose only real shot at success is reality TV

This, I once read that hitting never works. This article was basically saying that if you hurt the child you're teaching them not to get caught, not to not do it. It also said the best way to teach a child is to non physically punish them and explain to them why what they did was wrong. I know every 10 years some new dipsh*t with all the answers comes along and tells everyone why they're terrible parents but this makes sense to me.

#35 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18676 posts) - - Show Bio

parents these day let there kids do whatever they want, so the kids get use to it, they don't get enough discipline and lack the respect so they think the should get a new car when they are 13 , there were many times in my life where i complained and argued with my parents but now i'm just glad they knew how to tell me to shut the hell up , otherwise i'd probably be ungrateful too

#36 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@Swagger462: Talking it out literally never worked with me because I was a little asshole and basically considered a talking session getting away with it. When my mom would sit me down to explain why something I did was wrong I'd nod like I agreed with her then when she was gone i went right back to doing it, now when my dad told me not to do something I did it cause I was afraid I'd get hit. Neither of those ways worked. My Grandpas method was effective because while it still kept me from doing what I wanted to do it wasn't anything I was terrified but it still got it in my head that I was sweating or freezing my ass off depending on the season because I did something wrong.

#37 Posted by joewell (6590 posts) - - Show Bio

@Swagger462 said:

@joshmightbe said:

This, I once read that hitting never works. This article was basically saying that if you hurt the child you're teaching them not to get caught, not to not do it. It also said the best way to teach a child is to non physically punish them and explain to them why what they did was wrong. I know every 10 years some new dipsh*t with all the answers comes along and tells everyone why they're terrible parents but this makes sense to me.

i really dosnt help alot, depending on who u are, my cousin laughed in my moms face when she whiped him. Alot of the time these days if hit your kid they'll revolt against you

#38 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18676 posts) - - Show Bio

@Swagger462 said:

“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.” - Socrates

The fact is the opinion you have is not a recent one caused by lax discipline or modern society. It seems that every generation has been thought of as spoiled and rude by the one that preceded them. My theory on why this is is because even though technology and culture does change over time I feel that if you all look back on your childhood, and I mean really look back without using the lens of rationality and justification you'll find that odds are you were a little c*nt too. I know I was.

agreed, but right now, i'm grateful to my parents for punting me in my place , a spoiled kid is one thing but raising a spoiled person is another

#39 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@joewell: I didn't say hit I said punish. There are plenty of ways to punish a kid without hitting them for instance once when I was a kid me and a few of my cousins accidentally burned down my Grandpas shed because we were playing with fire. Instead of a beating that year we learned how to rebuild a shed and re shingle the roof of his house. And anyone whose ever had to re shingle a roof in the middle of August knows if you aren't getting paid and you don't have power tools that is a punishment.

#40 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1667 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: What type of punishment? It's proven and highly accepted that corporal punishment, for example, is the worst pedagogical method in the human history. Corporal punishment is strongly associated with lack of confidence, tendency to avoid effort/responsibilities, disruption of a harmonic/balanced development. The majority of philosophers is against it, modern pedagogy is against it, developmental psychology is against it. So, if you refer to it, don't bring up the "line", our parents used it, so it was good, cause our parents used to do this due to their ignorance over this delicate issue. If you mean something else by saying punishment, please elaborate, if you care.

#41 Posted by joshmightbe (24688 posts) - - Show Bio

@Phaedrusgr: Hard work is the most effective punishment, it teaches discipline, responsibility and sometimes valuable skills that you may need as an adult.

#42 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13613 posts) - - Show Bio

"these days". Yup because it's not like every generation has said this about another since the freakin dawn of time.

#43 Posted by othus12 (211 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man said:

@The Stegman said:

high five bro

this

#44 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13613 posts) - - Show Bio

@Joshmightbe: and the award for smartest person on this thread goes to you.

#45 Posted by The Stegman (25964 posts) - - Show Bio
@Phaedrusgr: I didn't mean corporeal punishment, I meant take away privilages that the child might have if they act up, no tv for a week, no computer, you're grounded, i won't buy you anything in the immediate future, stuff like that.
#46 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

Two words: Bad parenting. It affects other people's kids too. The media has a little bit of an effect as well but not as much.

#47 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5656 posts) - - Show Bio

No discipline, too many parents trying to be their kids friends instead of their parents / authority figures and the new age parenting BS that leads to feelings of entitlement and extremely self centered behavior.

Prime example is the story about a 15 yr old in Ohio that played CoD 4 DAYS STRAIGHT!! The kids too stupid to eat and drink, the parents are too stupid to realize letting a 15 yr old play video games 4 days straight isn't healthy and they didn't take him to the ER until he passed out twice. WTF ?!?! They all need to be sterilized and not allowed to reproduce.

#48 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

"these days". Yup because it's not like every generation has said this about another since the freakin dawn of time.

this

#49 Posted by SaintOfKillers (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@Swagger462 said:

Basically this, people in this thread are ridiculous. If the human race still exists in a thousand years people will still be complaining about this exact same thing

#50 Posted by ChaosBlazer (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

I promise you all, I am not racist in any way. I am not trying to pin a race card or anything like that. I just thought this was really funny and belongs in this thread.

I think this applies to spoiled kids vs disciplined kids.

Honestly I don't think beating helps too much. My parents would whip me with a belt on the back and bum when I did something bad, and they would yell at me too. You know what happened? I just got tougher. eventually I wouldnt cry or anything. But I acted well because i would kinda get ashamed of myself, so my parents didnt need to beat me.