• 70 results
#1 Edited by ganon15 (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

After spending my holidays last year in New York City, I got a lot of attention from people because of my accent for some reason. Is this with all Americans and why do they like British Accents so much?

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure it's just the quirk of an uncommon accent, the same would happen over here if say an American was in Glasgow.

#3 Edited by russellmania77 (15808 posts) - - Show Bio

That's presumptuous

#4 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Americans think it sounds cool/different.

#5 Posted by Ostyo (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

Couldn't tell ya, I think you brits all sound silly myself. :P

#6 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3756 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15:

For the same reason "Retro" is all the rage. "The Queen's English" is where it all began for us here in America. After all, our Founding Fathers were all British subjects.

Thus the fascination. IMO.

#7 Edited by RogueShadow (11893 posts) - - Show Bio

Because being an upper class English guy is awesome.

#8 Posted by Deadpool_is_better_than_you (59 posts) - - Show Bio

People here in the US are obsessed with my Australian accent too so I guess it's just different accents are exotic and exciting

#9 Edited by Squares (8392 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15: It's not just Americans, it's a thing with Canadians too, especially among women.

People seem to associate British accents with being refined and intellectual. I'm not entirely sure why, but if it helps it's generally an upper-class British accent that's associated with that.

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (45540 posts) - - Show Bio

Because being an upper class English guy is awesome.

YEAAAAAH!

#11 Posted by RogueShadow (11893 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by GeekyEverAfter (353 posts) - - Show Bio

British accents are sexy as hell!

#13 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12509 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@ganon15: It's not just Americans, it's a thing with Canadians too, especially among women.

People seem to associate British accents with being refined and intellectual. I'm not entirely sure why, but if it helps it's generally an upper-class British accent that's associated with that.

I am mexican guy and i like their accent more, i have less problem to understand their acccents.

I have bigger problem with american accents that the ones from the UK.

#14 Posted by ganon15 (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

I'm going with this.

#15 Posted by zedneptune (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched Brave and ended up enjoying it simply because the main character's Scottish accent was so fascinating.

#16 Posted by nerdork (4039 posts) - - Show Bio

I really couldn’t tell ya; though, I think it has more to do with accents, in general, than any single British accent. It probably has something to do with Hollywood’s portrayal of American English as the base-line­ accent in the world. So, to us, the US has no accent, or a bunch of boring ones, making the majority of us more fascinated in those from other countries.

Also, a lot of Americans are probably more fascinated in that both the US and UK speak English, but may not necessarily understand one another in a general conversation.

Whatever the reason, to me, accents are just accents; neither boring, nor fascinating.

#17 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (12509 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by The Stegman (25976 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's different and exciting and James Bond has one.

#19 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (11988 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a thing for Japanese chicks. But British accents only interest me in rock bands.

#20 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I sounded like Klaus from Vampire Diares.

#21 Posted by Outside_85 (10240 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes them sound clever. :)

#22 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13623 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by ARMIV2 (8845 posts) - - Show Bio

It is so fun and cool sounding. I'm think that about almost all accents.

#24 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Most Americans secretly want to be British. That's why. Don't deny.

#25 Posted by Pokeysteve (8658 posts) - - Show Bio

I like people with that hint of a British accent. Some of them are annoying though. I saw Adele in an interview and couldn't understand what the hell she was saying haha. I prefer Irish and Scottish accents. They're warm and friendly with a touch of silly.

#26 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7043 posts) - - Show Bio

British accents are sexy beyond belief.

There is no denying it. Benedict Cumberbatch's voice is orgasm inducing.

#27 Posted by kuonphobos (4904 posts) - - Show Bio

So when I see an attractive woman who is say on the rating scale a solid 7 and then hear her speak with a British accent, she immediately increases to a solid 8.

For dudes I couldn't care less.

#28 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

My friends allow me to explain with pictures.

This is what you expect when you hear a proper British Accent:

This is what you expect from an american accent:

#29 Posted by reaperOnyx (1177 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not the least bit fascinated by accents.

#30 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish pepole would be more specific than a "British accent"

#31 Posted by Darling_Luna (4752 posts) - - Show Bio

Trying to figure out what they are saying or picturing mr. monopoly or staring at bad teeth.

#32 Edited by ganon15 (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

pepole? well I'm from London, so I have a London accent.

#33 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34958 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

pepole? well I'm from London, so I have a London accent.

I mean when pepole say "Oh I love/hate British accents"

#34 Posted by kuonphobos (4904 posts) - - Show Bio

Good luck if you are looking for such specificity from an American.

By British I mean English and by English I mean any of the various dialects spoken in the British Isles not including Scottish or Irish.

#35 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18933 posts) - - Show Bio

I love threads where the OP makes an assumption about a subjective topic

#36 Posted by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

lol I think they are annoying. No offense.

I've never heard anyone say they liked an English accent.

#37 Posted by joshmightbe (24695 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15: I have no fascination with British accents, but I am baffled by Norwegian accents. No offence intended to any Norwegian viners here. I'm sure my accent would sound weird to you too.

#38 Posted by VoodooPenguin (1077 posts) - - Show Bio

Girls seem to find it sexy for some reason. I don't really care too much. Russian accents is where it's at.

#39 Edited by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

Oi mate, lets bloody tash on with some lasses eh, bang em birds an get mortal.

#40 Edited by Khan_Noonien_Singh (514 posts) - - Show Bio

They like pretending you're Benedict Cumberbatch. Once they realize you're not the living god, they lose interest.

#41 Posted by LyraFay (2536 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably because it all links back to history since America has a short history. The British accent is historical artifact that can link Americans (as well as others) to a time that their culture doesn't have. But on a personal note, I'm not sure if many people will find my New Zealand accent interesting.

#42 Posted by Immortal777 (7735 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

Oi mate, lets bloody tash on with some lasses eh, bang em birds an get mortal.

Google translate.

#43 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure it's just the quirk of an uncommon accent, the same would happen over here if say an American was in Glasgow.

Pretty much this.

#44 Edited by westy206 (774 posts) - - Show Bio

Well yeah when I went to New York earlier this year if I spoke to the shop assistant abit or the women behind the till they always were like "oh my you're from England, 25% off anything you buy" and I was thinking do they do that for all foreigners?

#45 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

@ganon15: "Facking el blaad" « This fascinates me.

#46 Posted by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

@westy206 said:

Well yeah when I went to New York earlier this year if I spoke to the shop assistant abit or the women behind the till they always were like "oh my you're from England, 25% off anything you buy" and I was thinking do they do that for all foreigners?

Only white ones.

#47 Posted by ganon15 (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

@westy206 said:

Only white ones.

#48 Posted by SuperSoldier_JT (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Brunette/Brown eyed ladies with English accents are yummy. :D

#49 Posted by buttersdaman000 (10480 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was in London a year or so back, all the chicks loved my 'accent'. I was born in America....but, then again, i've lived in over 3 different countries, and 5 different states......

#50 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's interesting. Makes people sound "smarter" plus I love Sarah Douglas from uk gaming :) lol she's so hot and her little english accent is so hot.