• 128 results
Avatar image for chocolate_lantern
Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Soccer as it is known to Americans, is the worlds most popular sport! It is played by millions in every country around the world. The world cup in 2006 had and estimated 700+ million viewers not including people inside and outside the stadium. The two biggest leagues (English Premier League and Italian Serie A) have more fans than the NFL, MLB, NHL or any other American professional sports league. The fans are amazing (I mean they riot for the most pointless games, yet in the US you have to win a World Series to riot). Games have near 100,000 people at them, every one sings songs, drinks, celebrates, and cheers on their favorite club. Every one I know that has traveled to Europe and gone to a match has become a soccer fan because of the atmosphere at a game. Yet why do Americans still consider it a "sissy" sport? Professional Soccer players or as Americans insist on calling them "Foot fairies" have a skill and athletic ability that most people can only dream of. This years world cup takes place in South Africa from June 11th through July 11th. The United States actually has a good team this year yet no body seems to care. Is this because the MLS has been a huge failure? Or are people in America too stubborn to realize that this sport is truly a great sport! Sorry Americans but your version of Football is only watched by 1 country, REAL FOOTBALL is watched in every country in the world! Does any one know why soccer cannot be accepted in the United States?

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EdwardWindsor

iam a huge football fan being English , i also like how american footballers slag off soccer when they are basicly pussy rugby players. I played rugby and american football at school and rugby is a hell of alot tougher no pads and virtualy no breaks.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By hdorman1
@lazystudent said:
" iam a huge football fan being English , i aslo like how american footballers slag off soccer when ther are basicly pussy rugby players "
i play both rugby and american football 
am football is way  less intense and physically  stressful  
rugby is a real sport
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@hdorman1:  all people need to see to show how pyshical and tough rugby is , is to watch any team play new zealand all blacks
Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chocolate Lantern

Rugby is another sport Americans will never accept I think its because they didn't invent it!

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hdorman1
@lazystudent: oh i know 
or watch munster play
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@Chocolate Lantern:  lol well since england invented rugby, cricket, hockey and fooball the only sports i have ever been any good at iam happy lol , Munster are preety good to but new zealand on their day are nothing short of monsterous
hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hdorman1
@lazystudent said:
" @Chocolate Lantern:  lol well since england inventer rugby cricket, hockey and fooball the only sports i have ever been any good at iam happy lol , munster are preety good to but new zealand on their day are nothing short of monsterous "

epic moment 
i was there!
Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Bio Guyver

Soccer is the real sport.

capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By capall

i don't feel that north americans don't consider soccer as a real sport, ofc they do, otherwise we wouldn't have a MLS, as far as the talents are concerned we just don't have as much since majority of them are spread out thru other continents, just b/c it ain't as big as some of us wanted to be however it's still considered as an infancy stage compared to any other pro organizations and it will gradually change for the better and bigger i hope

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@hdorman1:  thast was pretty epic lol
Yaujtapool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yaujtapool

imo the best rugby players come from South Africa, tough fellers .

Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Power NeXus
@Chocolate Lantern:
You are making very major generalizations about Americans. I, for one, am as born-and-bred American as they come. I played soccer one year in middle school and all four years in high school. It's the only sport I find interesting enough to keep my attention when I see it on television. 
Rugby, likewise, is a great sport in my opinion (though, due to my extremely slim physique, I've never played it) and I really wish it were more popularized in America.
hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hdorman1
@lazystudent: rugby is class, prob one of the best sports around 
Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Power NeXus: The vast majority of people in the United States think soccer isn't a "real" sport as many of my non soccer player friends have told me. I have played soccer since i was 5 years old Played through out college and still play today.
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@Power NeXus:  your luckly mate iam a lean sprinter but in engladn you haev no choice you play rugby at some point lol , also some great american footballs playing in the premiership so i know some americans embrace football

@hdorman1:  indeed it is but aslo one of the toughest wont see me play again unless for charity
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Power NeXus
@Chocolate Lantern:
Still, soccer isn't completely obsolete in America. It's popularity has been rising extremely fast recently. 20-30 years ago, the large majority of Americans had no idea at all what soccer was. Now you would be hard-pressed to find a public school (of any level) that doesn't have their own soccer team.
hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hdorman1
@lazystudent: ive played front row and second row since i was 8 
was a lineman in american football, its so slow and tedious 
at least in rugby i can run and use the ball
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@hdorman1:  i was either wing or fullback cos i am fast and alittle tricky , if i got hit i stayed hit thou since not much mass. moved on to play football wing and hockey striker instead lol
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I think you're out of your mind. Soccer isn't hugely popular like the MLB, NFL, or NBA on the professional level. But it is extremely popular amongst children and that's where you have to build your base. That is why soccer has risen in the last few years because that's how a sport gets big. To say all Americans don't consider soccer a real sport just shows you don't know many Americans. I was never a huge soccer fan, but I wouldn't say its not a sport, its a hell of a sport and a hard one to play.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

You guys realize that when American Football did not have pads their was over 20 deaths a year in the pro league alone not minor and friendly games. We need pads the way it is played American Football still has more serious injury than any other sport

capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By capall
@Chocolate Lantern said:
" Rugby is another sport Americans will never accept I think its because they didn't invent it! "
they didn't invent basketball or hockey and they seem to be enjoying them as well as being competitive, could it be that you may be taking this a little personal that you should be?
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By geraldthesloth
@Nova`Prime` said:
" I think you're out of your mind. Soccer isn't hugely popular like the MLB, NFL, or NBA on the professional level. But it is extremely popular amongst children and that's where you have to build your base. That is why soccer has risen in the last few years because that's how a sport gets big. To say all Americans don't consider soccer a real sport just shows you don't know many Americans. I was never a huge soccer fan, but I wouldn't say its not a sport, its a hell of a sport and a hard one to play. "
Stole the words from my mouth.
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aronmorales

Beats me why soccer isn't so widely accepted.

Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nova`Prime` said:

" I think you're out of your mind. Soccer isn't hugely popular like the MLB, NFL, or NBA on the professional level. But it is extremely popular amongst children and that's where you have to build your base. That is why soccer has risen in the last few years because that's how a sport gets big. To say all Americans don't consider soccer a real sport just shows you don't know many Americans. I was never a huge soccer fan, but I wouldn't say its not a sport, its a hell of a sport and a hard one to play. "

"To say all Americans don't consider soccer a real sport just shows you don't know many Americans"
I've lived in Michigan, Indiana, Connecticut, and Illinois and have lived in the USt most of my life, 90% of the people I know are Americans. Also I never said " All Americans" or the word "All" in my blog. You must be crazy to think that more people watch the MLB, NFL, or NBA over the English Premier League or Serie A not to mention WORLD CUP or any International match. Those leagues are full of international talent and are watched by soccer fans in every country! Most people out side of the US could care less about the NBA NFL or MLB.
Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capall said:

" @Chocolate Lantern said:

" Rugby is another sport Americans will never accept I think its because they didn't invent it! "
they didn't invent basketball or hockey and they seem to be enjoying them as well as being competitive, could it be that you may be taking this a little personal that you should be? "
Actually I've found that a good portion of Americans don't care for hockey as much as football, baseball, and basketball. Not taking this personal I just cant stand a person who is so  arrogant  that they refuse to watch a sport (also knows very little about the sport) and then calls it a "sissy sport" or says its "not a real sport"
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By capall
@Chocolate Lantern:  
it's called closed mindedness, which all of us tend to be from time to time, until i actually tried and played golf i used to think the same, it boils down to perception really until you open up your horizons
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Power NeXus
@Chocolate Lantern:
Not to dicount your person experiences, but I find it genuinely surprising that you have lived in the US for most of your life, and are still of the opinion that the general population of America is unaccepting of soccer as a major sport.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Chocolate Lantern said:
" @capall said:

" @Chocolate Lantern said:

they didn't invent basketball or hockey and they seem to be enjoying them as well as being competitive, could it be that you may be taking this a little personal that you should be? "
Actually I've found that a good portion of Americans don't care for hockey as much as football, baseball, and basketball. Not taking this personal I just cant stand a person who is so  arrogant  that they refuse to watch a sport (also knows very little about the sport) and then calls it a "sissy sport" or says its "not a real sport" "
Hockey is HUGE here in the New England area
Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Son_of_Magnus: thats cause the Bruins and Flyers are in the playoffs right now. you gotta admit that New England area is a Baseball (*cough* go Yankees!) area (and lacrosse is big there too)
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Nova`Prime`
@Chocolate Lantern said:
"To say all Americans don't consider soccer a real sport just shows you don't know many Americans" I've lived in Michigan, Indiana, Connecticut, and Illinois and have lived in the USt most of my life, 90% of the people I know are Americans. Also I never said " All Americans" or the word "All" in my blog. You must be crazy to think that more people watch the MLB, NFL, or NBA over the English Premier League or Serie A not to mention WORLD CUP or any International match. Those leagues are full of international talent and are watched by soccer fans in every country! Most people out side of the US could care less about the NBA NFL or MLB. "

I didn't say that the MLB, NBA, or NFL was more popular throughout the world I was talking from the aspect they are more popular in the US then soccer. You can't really compare the four sports with their popularity in US vs Europe or wherever, soccer clubs have been around in Europe for decades, the MLS has only been around what a decade? You just don't become a league and jump to the front of popularity. To most Americans soccer is still new, and I go back to my  original post that you have to get kids to like it, when the kids like it they want to play it, then the parents get into it. Maybe in another few years or a decade the MLS will be right up there with the MLB, the NFL, and the NBA
ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By ninjadude853

i actually don't get this at all, soccer is much more interesting to watch than american football, or golf, or baseball, and yet the majority of amercians insist on viewing those so much more than soccer
at least basketball and hockey are as interesting as soccer

and for the record, i'm American

oh and out of curiosity, why did you post this on a comic book site?

capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By capall
@ninjadude853:  
this is a off topic forum so it's ok to do so here.... 
as far as you thinking NFL is not interesting as soccer it's your opinion just as much as some ppl not thinking some other sport is not interesting as another
Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Matezoide2

because they suck at it

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By doordoor123

lol. I live in the US and i love soccer (football). I know a lot of people in America that love soccer. I dont think its sissy at all. If anything Baseball is sissy. And the US team isnt that great. English football is the best in the world right now. The only reason i think it cant be accepted in the states is because a lot of our states are full of ignorant, racecar watching , hicks. Sorry for anyone that watches cars around a track over and over again and thinks its a sport.

capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By capall
@doordoor123:  
auto racing is a sport, the amount of concentration it takes is amazing knowing that one mistake may cost you your life and possibly others not just the race!
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By Supreme Marvel

These are my people.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shanana
@Nova`Prime` said:
How can a sport that's viewed around the world, not be popular than national sports. The world Cup is watched by more people than the Superbowl, The NBA finals and The world series.
Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hellos

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Supreme Marvel

The last World Cup was watched on TV by over a billion people. And the Earths population is around 6.7 Billion. That's just under a quarter of the Earth's population.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
@Chocolate Lantern:  i already told you i'd watch the world cup with you
shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shanana

GO BARCELONA!

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Sha said:
" GO BARCELONA! "
I prefer Liverpool, however Barce' are my second favourite team. And Messi is my favourite player.
Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tyler Starke

I'll accept soccer when the rest of the world accepts FootttBAWLLLLL!!!!

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Tyler Starke said:
" I'll accept soccer when the rest of the world accepts FootttBAWLLLLL!!!! "
I'll accept America accepting it when they accept it has Football not "Soccer".
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Power NeXus
@Matezoide said:

"because they suck at it "

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MKF30

Soccer may be popular outside of the USA but overall fans? Don't care what anyone says, nobody on Earth has more fans then the New York Yankees...the most known team, most successful in sports history and have the most legends most casual fans even know....now you talk Soccer legends? How many are there? lol exactly... Nothing against Soccer, I'm spanish and realize Barcelona has had a ton of success, in fact I'd put them only second to the Yankees in terms of history, legacy etc..

Hate to say it but Soccer over the past few years has actually gone down and in USA is last on the list as in 5th...America is all about America's pasttime in Baseball, Football, NBA and then NHL...then Soccer 

I used to like soccer when I was a kid but lost interest the older I got and once I started getting exposed to other sports like Baseball, Hockey, Bowling and Football...ehh I just lost interest in Soccer... 

Still, if you want to talk popularity with leagues baseball and football will ALWAYS be top, little league-leagues and football leagues will always be huge here...and I see no signs of that slowing down either. 

Sure, there's some americans that love soccer...but it's also no secret that soccer just isn't top dog in this country...like it is in others. Different places have different sports. 

I  have to say though, even though Soccer in terms of the overall world is still played, you see other sports spreading now...like Baseball for example being played all over the world now(that didn't used to be the case) you see Hockey now in Europe and various parts of the other side of the world, not just Canada and US anymore...Basketball has a european league from what I understand, American Football isn't really that huge worldwide but does have a few "arena leagues" in US and Canada... 

End conclusion? Is Soccer a real sport? Sure, why wouldn't it be? In fact it's most likely the most "strenuous" meaning you have to constantly run for a long period of time(not the most rough physically) but strenous(there's a difference here) as Soccer requires a ton of endurance, stamina etc but you don't have to be "huge or strong" to play it...just in shape and the ability to run for long periods of time. Is Soccer the most popular sport in America? Hell no...it will never be able to compete with MLB or NFL....just not going to happen here...elsewhere? Sure, but not here. Same thing in Canada, there Hockey is godly>>then everything else comes after..

Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hellos: LOL HAHAHAHA wow i think i touched on almost every point colbert makes!
Chocolate Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego said:
" @Chocolate Lantern:  i already told you i'd watch the world cup with you "
VICTORY!!!! -*Johnny Drama Voice*-
Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hellos
@Chocolate Lantern:
I'm glad someone saw that video I got bumped to page three in minutes after posting it. :P
inkbot01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By inkbot01

As the ethnic make up of Americans continues to change, in all likelihood so will America's attitude towards soccer.  

Christian Rubiano 
www.inkbot.net 
online comic site