Why Americans Think Bush Is To Blame For The Economy

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/1212/why-americans-think-bush-is-to-blame-for-the-economy.aspx?utm_campaign=inv-out-pf&utm_source=out&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=adg-ds_adv-na_mtp-na_adc-con_adf-mix_ptp-cp_geo-na#axzz2GaIKxXXR

Obama's first term as president has been marked by rising gas prices, high unemployment and little economic growth. Yet he was able to win reelection, in part, because a large percentage of Americans did not believe that the country's current economic plight was the result of his doing. They instead blamed former President George W. Bush for much of the economic turmoil that has beset the United States in the past few years.

Polling Shows ...

Several different polls have clearly shown that the American people assign a great deal of blame to Bush for the country's economic woes. A Gallup poll in the summer of 2009 showed that nearly 80% of Americans assigned at least some of the blame for the economy to Bush, while only 32% believed that Obama was the main culprit. The percentage of those blaming Bush had only dropped by 10% by August of 2010, and subsequent surveys have shown that this number has remained relatively steady since then.

Polls that are broken down by political affiliation also reveal some interesting tidbits. A 2012 Gallup survey showed that while the percentage of democrats who blamed Obama for the economy was, predictably, very low (19%), the percentage of republicans who blamed Bush was much higher. While 83% of them assigned some measure of blame to Obama, a whopping 49% also blamed Bush to some degree for the nation's economic status. Surveys also indicate that independent voters also blame Bush more than Obama by a ratio of 67 to 51%.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/1212/why-americans-think-bush-is-to-blame-for-the-economy.aspx#ixzz2Mi8ZeKf7

War

One of the main reasons why so many Americans blame Bush is due to the two-front war in Iraq and Afghanistan that Bush financed after the terrorist attacks in 2001. This increased the national debt and pumped billions of dollars into an overseas conflict where we spent vast sums of money helping to rebuild Iraq and train both Iraqi and Afghan soldiers and policemen. Many Americans felt that this money could have been much better used to upgrade our own infrastructure.

If the money that was spent in the Middle East had instead gone to shoring up our lending industry, then this debacle might have been avoided. Bush's failure to kill or capture Osama Bin Laden during his administration also made it more difficult for him to justify the need to continue to fund the longest-fought conflict in U.S. history.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/1212/why-americans-think-bush-is-to-blame-for-the-economy.aspx#ixzz2Mi8eIhp5

The Subprime Disaster

The Subprime Mortgage Meltdown of 2008 is another major source of blame for Bush. Some critics contend that his wholesale deregulation of Wall Street was a key factor in the subsequent real estate bubble and collapse, and allowed many financial firms to engage in risky trading practices that eventually led to disaster. His tax cuts for the wealthiest 5% of taxpayers are also viewed as having deprived the country of billions of dollars of tax revenues over his two terms.

Critics also feel that Bush did little to help homeowners in the wake of the subprime crisis, although he was quick to bail out the banking industry. His Hope for Homeowners program did virtually nothing to assist those who had become upside down on their mortgages, and statistics indicate that one in three are still facing this dilemma today.

Bush is also perceived as helping to reduce the wages of many workers by chipping away at Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and worker safety regulations while helping corporations to reap greater profits.

The Bottom Line

Of course, there are many sides to this issue, and a fair amount of knowledge and education is required in order to even understand much of it. But public perception ultimately determines who gets into the White House, and the perception of who is to blame for the economy played a major role in Obama's reelection.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/1212/why-americans-think-bush-is-to-blame-for-the-economy.aspx#ixzz2Mi8jmRAX

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well I am sure everyone can agree on that the guy is an idiot.

(Hopefully)

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rogan2112

I certainly didn't like Bush, but people really need to figure out WHY they hate him. Either, he was a crafty genius who orchestrated 9/11, or at least had a big hand in it...OR he was a bumbling idiot who couldn't find his but with both hands and a compass. We DID have VERY good reason to invade Afghanistan, but invading Iraq (though I PROMISE you, even if it wasn't the reason we invaded..and no the reason wasn't oil...we, and many other countries thought Iraq and a good supply of WMDs) was jacked up like a football bad from the word go.

The subprime mortgage debacle was evvvvrrrrryyyyybodies fault. The Democrats cooked it up, trying to give homes to people who couldn't possibly afford them, so they forced Fanny May, and Freddy Mack to front these mortgages through governmental pressure, which Bush COULD have vetoed. Not only did the Wiz Kid NOT veto, he supported it. So blame can be place very evenly on that one, EXCEPT that Bush IS the one that could have stopped it and didn't. There's more, but the point is pretty much made. He sucked, but he wasn't the huge, evil, scumbag, responsible for all that is EEEVvviiiiiiiIIIlllllLLLLL that people like to try to make him out to be.

Obama isn't either, but he's also a wizard at passing the buck like a SuperBowl quaterback passes off a football. Economy sucks? Bush did it? Four years later? Economy sucks? Bush STILL did it. Ben Gazi was mishandled? Hillary did it. Conversely, something goes right he takes PERSONAL responsiblity for it. Bad ass SEALS risk their lives to snipe some bad guys at sea? I did it. Bad ass SEALs and savvy intel guys risk their butts BIG TIME to zap Bin Ladin? Not only did I DO it, I'll tell you all the secrets of how the SEALS I LET do it, do it (and let's not worry about the fact that it'll ruin our chances of getting people in the region to trust us and become informants for us again because the Doctor who helped us is in a Pakistani jail for 66 years...that's a life sentence for those who don't know folks. Oh? How did the Pakistanis know? Well ObamaMan TOLD the world! Further, those cute little SEALS now have one less way to conduct dangerous, clandestine operations because not only did ObamaMan give over the details of the operation, he gave enough that they made TWO MOVIES about it!

Economy sucks... I know! Well do a stimulus plan like Bush did (all this was his fault anyway right?) Make shovel ready jobs! Well, I spent the money and gosh, we're FURTHER IN THE WHOLE...hmmm but my campaign contributers suddenly have more money...strange.

Okay, enough with that two. THEY....BOTH....SUCK....They're politicians. What do y'all expect?

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nerdork

I think everyone whom has graduated high school knows that the policies, set by one president, dont really take effect until that president is out of office.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AllStarSuperman

well you know everything wrong with the universe is bushes fault

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad

@Rogan2112 said:

I certainly didn't like Bush, but people really need to figure out WHY they hate him. Either, he was a crafty genius who orchestrated 9/11, or at least had a big hand in it...OR he was a bumbling idiot who couldn't find his but with both hands and a compass. We DID have VERY good reason to invade Afghanistan, but invading Iraq (though I PROMISE you, even if it wasn't the reason we invaded..and no the reason wasn't oil...we, and many other countries thought Iraq and a good supply of WMDs) was jacked up like a football bad from the word go.

The subprime mortgage debacle was evvvvrrrrryyyyybodies fault. The Democrats cooked it up, trying to give homes to people who couldn't possibly afford them, so they forced Fanny May, and Freddy Mack to front these mortgages through governmental pressure, which Bush COULD have vetoed. Not only did the Wiz Kid NOT veto, he supported it. So blame can be place very evenly on that one, EXCEPT that Bush IS the one that could have stopped it and didn't. There's more, but the point is pretty much made. He sucked, but he wasn't the huge, evil, scumbag, responsible for all that is EEEVvviiiiiiiIIIlllllLLLLL that people like to try to make him out to be.

Obama isn't either, but he's also a wizard at passing the buck like a SuperBowl quaterback passes off a football. Economy sucks? Bush did it? Four years later? Economy sucks? Bush STILL did it. Ben Gazi was mishandled? Hillary did it. Conversely, something goes right he takes PERSONAL responsiblity for it. Bad ass SEALS risk their lives to snipe some bad guys at sea? I did it. Bad ass SEALs and savvy intel guys risk their butts BIG TIME to zap Bin Ladin? Not only did I DO it, I'll tell you all the secrets of how the SEALS I LET do it, do it (and let's not worry about the fact that it'll ruin our chances of getting people in the region to trust us and become informants for us again because the Doctor who helped us is in a Pakistani jail for 66 years...that's a life sentence for those who don't know folks. Oh? How did the Pakistanis know? Well ObamaMan TOLD the world! Further, those cute little SEALS now have one less way to conduct dangerous, clandestine operations because not only did ObamaMan give over the details of the operation, he gave enough that they made TWO MOVIES about it!

Economy sucks... I know! Well do a stimulus plan like Bush did (all this was his fault anyway right?) Make shovel ready jobs! Well, I spent the money and gosh, we're FURTHER IN THE WHOLE...hmmm but my campaign contributers suddenly have more money...strange.

Okay, enough with that two. THEY....BOTH....SUCK....They're politicians. What do y'all expect?

Good post!

atonemented

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By atonemented

Google it instead of asking comic book fans. But I'll start you off with one good reason: he got the job (and everything else in his life...) thanks to nepotism.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't blame Bush for the economy. I blame greed. I also don't think Obama won the second term by blaming Bush and absolving himself of blame. I think he was just BETTER than Romney. The better man always wins accept in Bush's case because he steals elections.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By Joygirl

@ssejllenrad said:

@Rogan2112 said:

Good post!

Seconded. This is what happens when you actually think, people -- you maek gewd poatz.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@Vance Astro said:

I don't blame Bush for the economy. I blame greed. I also don't think Obama won the second term by blaming Bush and absolving himself of blame. I think he was just BETTER than Romney. The better man always wins accept in Bush's case because he steals elections.

Granted, being better than Romney isn't exactly a difficult achievement.

I really felt like the last election was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. I don't think the economy would have improved with Romney in office, and it won't improve with Obama back in office either.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Imagine_Man15 said:

I really felt like the last election was a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. I don't think the economy would have improved with Romney in office, and it won't improve with Obama back in office either.

The only reason I even vote at this point is because i know someone fought, protested, and lobbied for me to have that right so I think it would be disrespectful to them to not take it seriously. I think Obama was just the lesser of two evils. Either way we'd still be in bad shape.
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AtPhantom

You really can't blame Obama for the economy. Obama's methods for dealing with the economy were precisely what the economists, the actual dudes who do that for a living and know how all that stuff works, wanted to do. Obama's problem was that he couldn't implement most or any of his measures due to political infighting. What little measures Obama actually implemented stopped America from staging a full scale re-enactment of the 1930's and the Great Depression.

Avatar image for punishcapitalism
PunishCapitalism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PunishCapitalism

@Vance Astro said:

How do you think Romney would handle the sequester if he were President right now?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@PunishCapitalism said:

@Vance Astro said:

How do you think Romney would handle the sequester if he were President right now?

However he was TOLD to.
Avatar image for punishcapitalism
PunishCapitalism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PunishCapitalism

@Vance Astro said:

@PunishCapitalism said:

@Vance Astro said:

However he was TOLD to.

Told to by whom? If he is being told to by someone or another entity then why say that you think that Obama was better?

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Vance Astro said:

@Imagine_Man15 said:

The only reason I even vote at this point is because i know someone fought, protested, and lobbied for me to have that right so I think it would be disrespectful to them to not take it seriously. I think Obama was just the lesser of two evils. Either way we'd still be in bad shape.

I think you could also say that someone fought, protested, and lobbied just so you could have the option to vote or not, so either way you vote or not you are still exercising that right. I'm not sure that someone would want you to vote if you didn't believe in any candidate.

deepdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deepdown

@AtPhantom: Look at the 1920 depression for lessons in how to handle economic downturns, not the 1929 Depression.

As for the housing crisis here, greed is the problem. Greed by people buying homes they knew they could not afford. Greed in the belief that real estate cannot be a bad investment. Greed by decades of politicians looking for reelection. Greed allowed the politicians to pressure banks to give loans to people who could not afford homes. It was greed that elected these politicians based on "promises" of what I can get you.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:

I think you could also say that someone fought, protested, and lobbied just so you could have the option to vote or not, so either way you vote or not you are still exercising that right. I'm not sure that someone would want you to vote if you didn't believe in any candidate.

That's true.
GoldenStar66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GoldenStar66

I blame greed, as well.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FatihBATMAN

@GoldenStar66 said:

I blame greed, as well.

agreed

Avatar image for huntress_of_the_dark
Huntress_of_the_Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say greed, but before jumping into the bandwagon, I would like to know who exactly am I blaming for greed.

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rogan2112

@ssejllenrad: Thank you. ;)

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rogan2112

@Joygirl: errrrrr Y'all are starting to embarass me a little here, but thank you kindly ;)

Avatar image for onedoesnotsimplywalkintomordor
OneDoesNotSimplyWalkIntoMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Huntress_of_the_Dark said:

I would say greed, but before jumping into the bandwagon, I would like to know who exactly am I blaming for greed.

And One does not simply blame the FEDs?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ssejllenrad

FMA's 2nd Greed was (somewhat) Chinese.... So in a sense.... BLAME CHINA!!!!!

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rogan2112

@Edamame said:

@Rogan2112 said:

The subprime mortgage debacle was evvvvrrrrryyyyybodies fault. The Democrats cooked it up, trying to give homes to people who couldn't possibly afford them, so they forced Fanny May, and Freddy Mack to front these mortgages through governmental pressure, which Bush COULD have vetoed.

This is true. The issue is that houses have become way too expensive. In the near past, houses were much more affordable, and people in the 60s are just amazed by the inflation these days. So, is it only due to the Supply and Demand theory or is it because banks have become too greedy? After all, if high-income individuals can afford to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a home, then why not continue raising the prices? However, that isn't fair to those who are middle-income or low-income. Furthermore, there wasn't this credit score/credit rating situation in the past either. Things have become much more complicated.

Increased spending and lowering of taxes will help spur the economy.

Well, I'm nothing close to even an arm-chair economist, so I picked the brain of a friend who knows a lot about this sort of thing. In the late fifties and through the sixties the economy was still in a large surplus from the money that was made from WW2 (strange huh?). There was plenty of demand, but there were more available jobs, but there was also a smaller population. Around the early late mid seventies and through the eighties the working age population pretty much exploded (from the post WW2 baby boomers coming of working age and finishing college from the sixties). The population went up significantly, the number of jobs began to slightly decline due to the increase of technology (robots doing some jobs believe it or not), and most of the good paying jobs, that could pay for a house were either going to college graduates becoming lawyers, doctors, bankers, etc, or skilled laborers like plumbers, building contractors, air conditioner rapair people, etc. The demand for housing was increasing but the number of ability to PAY for them was decreasing. We'd moved from a "gold standard", or representative, currency back in the late 1800s or early1900s I don't remember exacly but I think it was the former, and to a credit based economy so that's been around a LONG time. The thing is "fair" really has nothing to do with all this. What there is, are product, consumer, and producer. Around the begining of the century, after the hit the economy took right after the 9/11 attacks, then bi-partisan mismanagement of the economy, (the later Bush years) the Democratic majority in Congress, decided things SHOULD be more fair, and they cooked up a way to try to make things more fair so people with less income could get a house, whether they could afford them or not. They gave incentives and more or less forced Fanny May and Freddie Mack to give home lones to people with little or no credit, and little evidence that they would be able to make their payments. Bush, for whatever stupid reason signed off on it, and the crash was on its way. Low and behold all these tens of thousands of home loans came due, and these folks who couldn't pay for the loans and make their payments were allowed to KEEP the homes even though they weren't making the payments, because of the mandate Congress forced the two biggest home lenders into making. Problem is, this doesn't happen in a vacuum. The loans are real money, bank x shells out the actual money to the mortgage company to buy the house on the promise of payments being made. No payments made the bank loses money, so Fanny and Freddy have to pay what the loan holders aren't paying, basically running their companies into the ground til eventually THEY can't make these payments. Before TOO long, these companies run dry, blame the government (for a good reason) and all the homeowners(loan holders) lose their homes and everyone is screaming BUSH DID IT (which, while only partially true) isn't unreasonable.

Since it took me THAT long to write, saying it's complicated is a major understatement, and lol yeah, I left out a lot. However, one thing I've also been told is that increased spending and lowering taxes, might SOUND good, won't get us anywhere. If you lower taxes...where is the money for the increased spending going to come from? The best plan I'VE heard of is what's called a flat tax, or a national sales tax. One tax rate for all goods and services sold across the board for the entire nation. Let's say ten percent. If Joe wants a $1.00 can of beans, the tax is $.10, if Reginal wants to buy a $200,000.00 yacht the tax, the tax is $2,000..00. That way, everyone IS paying their fair share no matter how much they make or what they buy. Joe and Reginald STILL pay a ten cent tax on a can of beans ;)

makes an excellent point about the greed as well.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DH69

cause its easier to blame someone or something else other than yourself, its human nature.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AtPhantom

@deepdown said:

@AtPhantom: Look at the 1920 depression for lessons in how to handle economic downturns, not the 1929 Depression.

As for the housing crisis here, greed is the problem. Greed by people buying homes they knew they could not afford. Greed in the belief that real estate cannot be a bad investment. Greed by decades of politicians looking for reelection. Greed allowed the politicians to pressure banks to give loans to people who could not afford homes. It was greed that elected these politicians based on "promises" of what I can get you.

You have it completely backwards. Greed is what made BANKS give out as many loans as possible to people who were not capable of paying them back. The banks thought the market would be stable forever and that the risks were much lower than they actually were, so they handed out loans by the boatload to get as much interest as possible. The only thing you can blame the politicians is that they bowed under the pressure from the banks to relax regulations and allow the banks to do what they did.

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rogan2112

@Edamame said:

@Rogan2112: That was an excellent and accurate post. I appreciate this. Let me refer to a few points here because I agree with everything else:

@Rogan2112 said:

In the late fifties and through the sixties the economy was still in a large surplus from the money that was made from WW2 (strange huh?).

Indeed. Now, is there a way to get back to that lovely economic boom right now or in the near future? Wasn't it mass industrialization, the Lend-Lease program and the Marshall Plan that helped America get into such a powerful economic position? Were there any other factors?

The main problem is that we are no longer an industrial based economy, we're a service based economy, we're not actually MANUFACTURING much of anything, so the Marshall Plan would help little these day, and is the other factor you spoke of. Unless a nation's economy actually produces something the world wants to buy, it's on a very slippery slope. If another country suddenly can beat us at IT repair, programming, and the like, we're about half cooked

@Rogan2112 said:

There was plenty of demand, but there were more available jobs, but there was also a smaller population. Around the early late mid seventies and through the eighties the working age population pretty much exploded (from the post WW2 baby boomers coming of working age and finishing college from the sixties). The population went up significantly, the number of jobs began to slightly decline due to the increase of technology (robots doing some jobs believe it or not), and most of the good paying jobs, that could pay for a house were either going to college graduates becoming lawyers, doctors, bankers, etc, or skilled laborers like plumbers, building contractors, air conditioner rapair people, etc.

Quite so. There were many jobs available and there were fewer workers (in comparison to today). That is perfect. There was also no Outsourcing, Globalization, Technological Advancements making certain jobs obsolete, etc. Speaking of which, automation and robots will continue to replace low-skilled, human workers. So, what is going to happen? Does everyone have to get a degree or a certificate? I am not saying that there is anything wrong with that, but such a trend will make those degrees become more and more worthless. The greater the supply of academic/trade degrees, the lower the value. I also seem to recall someone telling me that one could live off of those low wages back then because they were properly adjusted to inflation and there was less inflation. Many people could leave their parent's houses at age 18 and not have to go to College or anything like that. That is simply what I have been told.

Well, what was the educational attainment statistics in the seventies and eighties? I ask because there is a 35% college graduate rate in the United States right now. However, there is a 70% college attendance rate as well. So, that shows that there are flaws in the system. Also, the student loan debt is almost at one trillion dollars. That is also disturbing.

Several things you've pointed out are sadly true. A Bachelor's Degree these days is basically the equivilant of a High School diploma from 15 to 20 years go. Weird and unfortunate, but that's the way we're heading, because again, we've become a service based economy and without trained people to conduct those services, we don't have a work force.

@Rogan2112 said:

ut I think it was the former, and to a credit based economy so that's been around a LONG time. The thing is "fair" really has nothing to do with all this. What there is, are product, consumer, and producer.

Did people really have that many credit cards back then?

No, not really. Well, certainly not as many as today. What's evolved, as pointed out is greed, Greed AND Envy. Problem is, as Americans a lot of people have gotten it into their heads that they are ENTITLED to things they haven't actually earned. It's more important to them to have big screen TVs, nice cars, and so on, because they think the DESERVE them, withoud actually having had to work for them, or at least without having made enough money to afford them. Largely, in my opinion, because they see celebrities and stuff like MTV's "Cribs" and the like and they develope class envy. So they put themselves in a financial whole to try an live up to a lifestyle that they can't possibly meet. In order to do THAT, they use credit, which will eventually swim up and bite them in the ass...or, they simply won't pay the bills, making the credit companies take the loss, adding to the economic down turn. (More on this later)

@Rogan2112 said:

, (the later Bush years) the Democratic majority in Congress, decided things SHOULD be more fair, and they cooked up a way to try to make things more fair so people with less income could get a house, whether they could afford them or not. They gave incentives and more or less forced Fanny May and Freddie Mack to give home lones to people with little or no credit, and little evidence that they would be able to make their payments. Bush, for whatever stupid reason signed off on it, and the crash was on its way. Low and behold all these tens of thousands of home loans came due, and these folks who couldn't pay for the loans and make their payments were allowed to KEEP the homes even though they weren't making the payments, because of the mandate Congress forced the two biggest home lenders into making. Problem is, this doesn't happen in a vacuum. The loans are real money, bank x shells out the actual money to the mortgage company to buy the house on the promise of payments being made. No payments made the bank loses money, so Fanny and Freddy have to pay what the loan holders aren't paying, basically running their companies into the ground til eventually THEY can't make these payments. Before TOO long, these companies run dry, blame the government (for a good reason) and all the homeowners(loan holders) lose their homes and everyone is screaming BUSH DID IT (which, while only partially true) isn't unreasonable.

Yes, those are the FHA loans. Those are not that good because those low-income people have to pay mortgage insurance in addition to the mortgages and interest. If only they could pay large enough down payments to avoid that problem. Of course, one must wonder if those houses are of quality or have major maintenance issues. That could be very costly.

Honestly, I don't have any idea about the quality of the homes so I'm not going to BS and try to give an opinion it it, I will attempt to find out though.

@Rogan2112 said:

Since it took me THAT long to write, saying it's complicated is a major understatement, and lol yeah, I left out a lot. However, one thing I've also been told is that increased spending and lowering taxes, might SOUND good, won't get us anywhere. If you lower taxes...where is the money for the increased spending going to come from? The best plan I'VE heard of is what's called a flat tax, or a national sales tax. One tax rate for all goods and services sold across the board for the entire nation. Let's say ten percent. If Joe wants a $1.00 can of beans, the tax is $.10, if Reginal wants to buy a $200,000.00 yacht the tax, the tax is $2,000..00. That way, everyone IS paying their fair share no matter how much they make or what they buy. Joe and Reginald STILL pay a ten cent tax on a can of beans ;)

Well, taxes for companies and corporations should be reduced because that would create more employment. However, I hear that corporations find loopholes and find ways to avoid paying taxes. So, greed is still the issue. Now, what is going to happen to all of those houses and other properties that get damaged or destroyed by natural disasters? How is that going to affect the housing market?

Also, with the increased spending, I meant to say that rich Americans (or simply Americans who have more spending power) should help the economy by spending more and investing more money into society.

(Here's where I meant "more later") I've heard stuff about this, but really didn't KNOW, but my buddy filled me in on the parts I was iffy about.

There have been several economic theories tried bot both Conservatives and Liberals. Conservatives pretty much believe that you give huge tax breaks to the rich, which will enable them to make cheaper products and service and create more jobs, hire more people and stimulate the economy. This has been shown to SORT of work, but again greed gets into it and high to mid ranking corperate officials will do things like embezzle money or use the extra money quasi-legally to line their own pocket books further. The Liberals believe in the bottom up theory, that if you tax the righ more, that puts more money into the hands of the government (yeah lets trust the GOVERNMENT to help us and spend our money correctly for us, right? Ever heard of a $300.00 toilet seat for government buildings?)...anyway, the idea is they help the less fortunate, food stamps, job developement, educational assistance etc. Sounds great right? Problems are: Greed takes hold again. Government officials do some of the same things the Corperate officials do and line their pockets. The corperations who are getting the crap taxed out of them say "screw this" and move their business to a country who isn't gouging them and "outsource" since even when they aren't being gouged their taxes (even with all their loop holes) pay for 40-60 percent of the nations tax burden anyway. A better solution, find a COMMON ground, find an even tax rate (ooohhhh like that flat tax mentioned before) devide the spoils from it equally at the top AND bottom so that things work their way toward the MIDDLE, where most of the American work force is, which (in all likelyhood...I say this because there's no crystal ball and no PROOF it will work, just a strong likelyhood). So, you have disadvantaged people taken care of to a decent degree (though not as much as the Liberals would prefer), you have Big Buisiness coddled to a reasonable degree (though not to the degree they, or the Conservatives would prefer), everyone MIGHT have to make due with a LITTLE less for awhile, but with more jobs being created by Big Buisiness, more educated lower class, and the already educated middle class, you have people to fill the jobs. They will then have enough money to BUY things, keep the Big Buisinesses running, taxes being paid, and when the Congress votes themselves YET ANOTHER pay raise, they might actually have earned a tiny bit of it this time.

Nice conversation, by the way! I love your post! It's an important topic.

Thank you. As always, my rants are my own opinions and views and are in no way meant to indicate support or agreement by ComicVine :)

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AtPhantom

@Rogan2112 said:

What's evolved, aspointed out is greed, Greed AND Envy.

I'm flattered, but I'm pretty sure I didn't say any of that. I don't really agree with that sentiment either.

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Rogan2112

@AtPhantom: Actually, was just talking about the greed part ;). True, you never said the rest of it ;)

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AtPhantom

@Rogan2112: I meant I never said anything about greed.

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rogan2112

@AtPhantom: ack...I scewed up and misquoted. That was replying to YOU in a post. My bad dude.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I don't think Bush was the main reason the economy went bad, it certainly went bad on his watch. With Obama, when something breaks down, you just can't magically repair it. Republicans of course want to blame Obama for not restoring the economy and Democrats are saying that if not for Obama, the economy could have been even worst.

Personally I think they are both right. It's been 4 years & the economy should be better. On the other hand we fell pretty hard and it's tough to just come back from it.

As far as Obama getting reelected, it's quite simple, Romney was an idiot.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By consolemaster001

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Well I am sure everyone can agree on that the guy is an idiot.

(Hopefully)

Yes X100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Edamame said:

@Rogan2112 said:

1. The main problem is that we are no longer an industrial based economy, we're a service based economy, we're not actually MANUFACTURING much of anything, so the Marshall Plan would help little these day, and is the other factor you spoke of. Unless a nation's economy actually produces something the world wants to buy, it's on a very slippery slope. If another country suddenly can beat us at IT repair, programming, and the like, we're about half cooked

2. Honestly, I don't have any idea about the quality of the homes so I'm not going to BS and try to give an opinion it it, I will attempt to find out though.

3. There have been several economic theories tried bot both Conservatives and Liberals. Conservatives pretty much believe that you give huge tax breaks to the rich, which will enable them to make cheaper products and service and create more jobs, hire more people and stimulate the economy. This has been shown to SORT of work, but again greed gets into it and high to mid ranking corperate officials will do things like embezzle money or use the extra money quasi-legally to line their own pocket books further. The Liberals believe in the bottom up theory, that if you tax the righ more, that puts more money into the hands of the government (yeah lets trust the GOVERNMENT to help us and spend our money correctly for us, right? Ever heard of a $300.00 toilet seat for government buildings?)...anyway, the idea is they help the less fortunate, food stamps, job developement, educational assistance etc. Sounds great right? Problems are: Greed takes hold again. Government officials do some of the same things the Corperate officials do and line their pockets. The corperations who are getting the crap taxed out of them say "screw this" and move their business to a country who isn't gouging them and "outsource" since even when they aren't being gouged their taxes (even with all their loop holes) pay for 40-60 percent of the nations tax burden anyway. A better solution, find a COMMON ground, find an even tax rate (ooohhhh like that flat tax mentioned before) devide the spoils from it equally at the top AND bottom so that things work their way toward the MIDDLE, where most of the American work force is, which (in all likelyhood...I say this because there's no crystal ball and no PROOF it will work, just a strong likelyhood). So, you have disadvantaged people taken care of to a decent degree (though not as much as the Liberals would prefer), you have Big Buisiness coddled to a reasonable degree (though not to the degree they, or the Conservatives would prefer), everyone MIGHT have to make due with a LITTLE less for awhile, but with more jobs being created by Big Buisiness, more educated lower class, and the already educated middle class, you have people to fill the jobs. They will then have enough money to BUY things, keep the Big Buisinesses running, taxes being paid, and when the Congress votes themselves YET ANOTHER pay raise, they might actually have earned a tiny bit of it this time.

1. Indeed. Therein lies the issue. Outsourcing. Almost everything is "Made In China" these days. That is why I do my part by purchasing things that are "Made In USA". The question is how can we get our industrial/manufacturing power back? America was the number 1 industrial power in the 20th century up until the late 70s or 80s. I'd love to do more research on what most of our exports currently are. I assumed that it would involve music and film, but it could be something else.

2. Yeah. Well, all of the "affordable" homes that I have seen seem to have major maintenance issues. *shrugs*

3. Very true. I concur. The government should never be trusted, and we have to find ways to get rid of all of this greed. That might be impossible, but hey.

Yes, about a good 70% of things in the average persons household is made in China!

Even X-Box 360's are made in China

PlayStation 3's are made in China

Nintendo Wii's //Wii U's are made in China

Something people don't really think about often.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By isaac_clarke

@Edamame said:

1. Indeed. Therein lies the issue. Outsourcing. Almost everything is "Made In China" these days. That is why I do my part by purchasing things that are "Made In USA". The question is how can we get our industrial/manufacturing power back? America was the number 1 industrial power in the 20th century up until the late 70s or 80s. I'd love to do more research on what most of our exports currently are. I assumed that it would involve music and film, but it could be something else.

If that was the case we wouldn't have much of an economy. We're still exporting manufactured goods (Automobiles, manufacturing machinery, etc) and natural resources. China isn't so much breaking the bank by selling cheap @#$! here.

Avatar image for deactivated-607949e25bdb6
deactivated-607949e25bdb6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I blame Reagan personally.

deepdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deepdown

While greed was a part of the problem, I do not blame the banks as much as I do other factors; individuals and politicians. Banks were using mortgage practices developed over decades. Politicians, in order to gain votes, pressured banks to make bad loans. Banks, or any loan making organization, should be discriminatory in their practice. Discrimination is what decides who is likely to pay back the loan. Bad risks should either not get loans, or get smaller, higher interest loans, because they are less likely to make payments.

Banks should have fought the initial pressure and threats publicly and loudly.

If I ever am able to own a business I will be damned if I ever let the government tell me how to run it, and defiantly not through pressure and threats. I would rather burn the place down. I would publicly fight any of this behavior.

GR2Blackout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 63

#47  Edited By GR2Blackout

Wish I was American...

Wait, I am...

deepdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deepdown

@Edamame: @Edamame said:

Banks and people who don't protest against high prices and financial abuse.

How about the politicians who forced banks under threats to change lending practices? How about the individuals who knowingly bought homes they could not afford? Janet Reno to name one.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AtPhantom

@deepdown said:

Politicians, in order to gain votes, pressured banks to make bad loans.

Do you have any evidence that that actually happened? Because it runs completely opposite everything I've ever heard of the meltdown.