Who's the best point guard in the NBA right now?

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By jrock85

Over the last few years, we've seen an abundance of great  point guard play in the NBA. Younger players like Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, and Chris Paul have all come into their own while veterans like Steve Nash and Jason Kidd still continue to play at a high level. As for who's the best? I'm stuck between Rondo and Rose. I'd like to hear everyone else opinion on this.

Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Darkseid Elite

I think Deron Williams is the best point guard in the league, excluding the games he's missed. Gets a crap load of assist while still scoring high.

Don't get me wrong, but Rose still needs to work on his game a little more. Rose is currently my favorite player in the league. He needs to work on his FG% and how many shots he's taking a game. He has really improved on his shooting this season too. Give him some more time in the coming seasons and he'll be the best PG.

As for Rondo, he's a beast, all I can say. Has a crazy aresenal of moves and can leave anyone in his dust. He's done a great job of fitting in on the Celtics and gets everyone involved. Think he needs to work on his shooting game though and he'll be one of the best in the future.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By sexy_merc

DE is right on who the best PG is.

D-Will has been plagued with injuries down the stretch this season, so Rose is the best PG this season. Not overall tho.

CP3 hasn't been the same since the injury. A healthy '08 CP3 is easily the best PG in the game and a Top 3 player.

Just this season:

1) Rose

2) D-Will

3) Nash

4) CP3

5) Russ

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jrock85
@Darkseid Elite:

I can't believe I forgot about Deron Williams. At his best you can make a strong argument for him being the best. Derrick Rose is easily the MVP this season and he's upped his level of play every year since he's been in the league. Honestly, I think the only thing any of these guys have on Rondo is shooting. He surpasses them in all other categories.

@Sexy Merc:

Yeah, the injury has really plagued CP.
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sexy_merc
@jrock85:

He doesn't pass Russ in rebounding, Nash in court vision or ball IQ (same with CP3). It's easy for Rondo to have such high court vision when no one takes you seriously offensively, while Nash is the greatest offensive PG in the NBA and one of the greatest offensively; all-time. He doesn't pass Russ or CP3 in drawing fouls, or Russ and Rose in athleticism, or even Nash in assists. I could go on but I think you get the point. He's a great defensive PG tho.

As for Rose, he'd probably be 3rd for me as far as MVP goes (maybe 2nd). Dwight is the clear-cut MVP for me, but the media voted on Rose since 3 months ago (he's had a fantastic season tho).

SHAFEMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SHAFEMAN

Rajon Rondo. Rose,  westbrook.  ( Dwight for MVP but it will be rose)
jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jrock85
@Sexy Merc:

I meant in terms of statistics. I don't know how many rebounds Russ is averaging right now but I know Rondo can rebound with the best of them. Nash is more experienced so I agree with you that he does have a higher ball IQ. In the assist category he and Nash are alternating between 1 and 2. Rondo pales in comparison with the '08 CP, but like you said, Chris really hasn't been the same since the injury. He and Rondo are alternating between 1 and 2 in the steals category. For most of the season Rondo has been #1 in both steals and assists. As far as athleticism, I think he's right up there with Russ and Rose. All three of them have great leaping ability and can blow by anybody.

Dwight is defo a legitimate MVP candidate, but Rose has got his team in the #1 spot in the east so that pretty much seals the deal.
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sexy_merc
@jrock85:

Rondo is one of the best PG rebounders (Russ has a higher rpg, not by a whole lot). 

Nash and Rondo are close in the assist race because Nash has old-ass Grant Hill, washed up VC, Top 3 worst rebounder Lopez etc. Rondo has the greatest 3-pt shooter of all-time, has one of the greatest PFs of all-time, and one of the greatest Celtics to play the game as well as a consistent SF (still Top 5).

You really think Rondo is on the same level with Russ and Rose in terms of athleticism? He's more athletic than Nash, CP3, and D-Will, but he's far from those 2.

Obviously without Rose, the Bulls' system would collapse since he's their main offensive guy, but most of the team's success this year belongs to COY Thibs. The Bulls also have one of the deepest benches in the leagues, with the starting SG spot being the only real low-point on their team. Rose has become a great defensive PG, but their whole team plays great team defense and individual defense too (Joakim and Luol).

Without Dwight, the Magic would just be a jump-shooting team like the Mavs (just without a solid team and bench like the Mavs, Kidd, or another strong MVP candidate; Dirk). Bulls are ranked 1st in defense because of Thibs and the team. Magic are 3rd because of Dwight. Take him out and they'd be allowing 115 a game. No one else on that team is even close to being half the defender Dwight is.

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By SuperTide

Deron Williams.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jrock85
@Sexy Merc:
You made a lot of great points. I agree that Rondo has better players around him than Nash does but you can't underscore the fact the Rondo does a great job of putting those guys in great scoring position. The main reason I think that Ray Allen, KG, and PP have been able to play at such a high level in the latter part of their careers is because Rondo is so good at putting them in  position where they can get off high percentage shots.

I think Russ, Rondo, and Rose are all top notch when it comes to athleticism. out of the three of them, I would give a slight edge to Russ because he can get up higher off one leg than Rose and Rondo who are primarily two-legged dunkers.

I agree with you on everything you said about the Bulls and Magic. The Magic have been running the same screwed up offense for the last three or four years. They like to play outside/in instead of inside/out. This has got to be so frustrating for Dwight because he clearly has been working on his post-up game and all those guys want to do is jack up 3s all game.
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sexy_merc
@jrock85:

I agree, Rondo is a good facilitator even with great players around him.

I wanna see D12 and CP3 on the same team next season when they're both FAs but with the new CBA coming out, it seems unlikely. 

I was hoping Dwight would come to OKC in 2012 a year back but that's not gonna happen anymore. Would be too stacked and we're already contenders.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jrock85
@Sexy Merc:

What do you think about Kendrick Perkins? I think he was a nice addition to OKC.
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sexy_merc
@jrock85:

He has been terrific defensively and vocally. We've gotten tougher and Ibaka-Perk is deadly.

I was just really happy that we got rid of Jeff Green (he was a starting PF and Ibaka was benched..Brooks is an idiot sometimes). He's terrible and would get us 6 rebounds in 35 minutes while Ibaka, post-ASG has been averaging 11-9 and 3 blocks a game (has increased since we got Perk) and Green isn't even half the defender than Ibaka is.

I thought we were getting Marc in the off-season and then there was news that Nene was eying OKC. Then next thing you know, Top 3 GM Presti pulls of Perk and Nazr (2 championship experienced bigs) that brought a lot to the team. Presti is an ex-Spurs HO member and was the guy who told the Spurs to draft Parker back in 2001. The Spurs HO are amazing and always find that diamond in the dirt (look at Manu; 57th pick and arguably the biggest draft steal the NBA has ever seen). The Celtics had no chance and I booked them being terrible when they got Green (and Nenad is a pretty bad defender as well).

Thunder Pre/Post Trade/Post Perk (13 Games):

ORTG: PRE-TRADE: 110.75 POST-TRADE: 110.97 POST-PERK: 111.15

DRTG: PRE-TRADE: 107.96 POST-TRADE: 104.78 POST-PERK: 101.97

eFG% (Shooting Efficiency) PRE-TRADE: 49.59% POST-TRADE: 50.29% POST-PERK: 50.00%

Opponent eFG% PRE-TRADE: 50.10% POST-TRADE: 47.92% POST-PERK: 46.1%

TOV% (Turnovers): PRE-TRADE: 12.48% POST-TRADE: 12.41% POST-PERK: 12.39%

Opponent TOV%: PRE-TRADE: 12.44% POST-TRADE: 12.28% POST PERK: 12.58%

OREB% (Offensive Rebounding): PRE-TRADE: 26.87% POST-TRADE: 27.84% POST-PERK: 28.57%

DREB% (Defensive Rebounding): PRE-TRADE: 73.74% POST-TRADE: 73.74% POST-PERK: 73.41%

FT/FGA (Foul Shooting): PRE-TRADE: .312 POST-TRADE: .265 POST-PERK: .273

Opponenet FT/FGA: PRE-TRADE: .223 POST-TRADE: .223 POST-PERK: .234

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jrock85
@Sexy Merc:

Perkins can defend any big man one on one and as a Celtic fan, I was heartbroken when they traded him away. The guy never asks for plays to be drawn up for him - he just goes out there and plays his guts out.
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sexy_merc
@jrock85:

I'm really sorry to hear that you root for the team that got Jeff Green. Believe me it's been a rough 3 1/2 years for me. 

Yeah, Perk is a great player to have from a coaching standpoint (Rivers and Scottie both commented on it). He's pretty much a teddy bear off-court according to KD, but on-court he's one of the toughest players.

How do you feel about the playoffs this year for your Celts? You have a team on the West?

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jrock85
@Sexy Merc:
If the Celts get the #2 seed, I like their chances. Chicago is the biggest threat I see for them right now because those guys are ballin'. Out west my team is any team that's not the Lakers! lol
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sexy_merc
@jrock85:

Lakers, Celts, and Heat are all tied right now (all could use a better record than the other 2) and the tie-breaks could be crucial.

BOS-MIA game on Sunday which is gonna be huge. I find it funny tho, that the Celtics playoff chances rely on a 39-year-old Shaq. 

Lol, good answer from a Boston fan with the West pick.

I've been a Bulls, Spurs, and Blazers fan before OKC formed (my number 1 team). I've been following KD since he was in high school, haven't missed a game. Also like the Lakers and some of my favorite all-time players were Lakers, but I'm not the fan of the franchise as a whole like the other 4. Also loved Nash-Suns.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Mercy_

At least one of our teams is doing well : / 

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sexy_merc
@The Dark Huntress:

Who's your team?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mercy_
@Sexy Merc: I'm not a huge basketball fan, I prefer football, hockey and baseball over basketball. The Celts are my team. 
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sexy_merc
@The Dark Huntress:

Oh yeah, you're from NE.

In other news, The Red Sox beat the Yankees.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mercy_
@Sexy Merc: I KNOW! I was so freaking ecstatic because frankly, the Sox have sucked this year. I didn't expect a win at all. 
jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jrock85
@Sexy Merc:
The only thing Shaq is really good for now is just to give the Celtics more depth at the center position. I doubt anyone really expects him to be a major contributor. What the heck is going on with the Lakers? They lost again tonight! A couple of weeks ago people were talking about them being unbeatable and now they look like they can't even beat a college team! In all seriousness, the Spurs are probably my favorite WC team and I'm also feeling the Nuggets post-Carmelo and OKC has really started to grow on me since last season.

@The Dark Huntress:

What team is that?
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sexy_merc
@jrock85:

The Lakers' offense has been bad their past few games (haven't even hit 100 for a team averaging 111 a game). 

I doubt they're intentionally trying to tank because they'd lose HCA to Miami and Boston (I think one of those 2 will make it out of the East) and they're facing NO in the 1st round so far (which is the easiest 4-8 seed team to beat). Portland has a shot of upsetting any of the top 4 imo.

I'd think LA would much rather face Dallas than OKC in the second round as well so I dunno. They usually have these kind of 'going hot' streaks and then 'burning out' games. They've had it at least 5 times this season where they tease their fans, lol.

Their last 3 are OKC (home), SAS (home), and SAC (away) so I'm predicting a 3 game win-streak to end their season.

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wise Son
When he's played there has been no one better then Deron Williams. He's just the overall package. No contest. If Rondo had Steve Nash's shooting touch then he'd be my number #1 but that's not going to happen.
YoungGunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By YoungGunna

A 100% Chris Paul is definitely the best PG the league

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By ripcurl

I think Rondo and Nash are the most talented passers and ball-handlers, they both commit a lot of turnovers though. Chris Paul and Kidd are probably the most efficient.
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By TheGoldenOne

This season? Rose.

Avatar image for marvelrules2011
marvelrules2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points