who made it that you need a ged or high school diploma to work?

crabtree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By crabtree

who made it that you need a ged or high school diploma to work?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

It's a meaningless self serving system. Same with (ESPECIALLY with) college. They basically say you need college to get a good job, and you can't get a good job without college, which honestly, I think to be unfair and pointless, unless you're studying to be something that requires such a high level of education, such as a doctor, lawyer, forensics etc, you shouldn't have to be forced to have it as a credential. 

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

I have neither and make a lot more than minimum wage.

Avatar image for cozy_da_djed_eye
Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Apprenticeships set you up for a career, though.

Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

MD for Mickey Ds? I'll be damned.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

I have a High school diploma and I'm having trouble finding work. I've been passed over for several jobs for people with college degrees even in jobs that barely require thought let alone advanced education

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

College tuition is unfairly high, I didn't qualify for any financial aid despite the fact that their was no way my family could afford to pay my tuition so I couldn't go.

utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By utotheg38

@joshmightbe said:

College tuition is unfairly high, I didn't qualify for any financial aid despite the fact that their was no way my family could afford to pay my tuition so I couldn't go.

Know that feeling

*depressed fist bumps*

Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Lol

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By joshmightbe

I feel if something is going to be a nationwide necessity for work then it should be made available to everyone. I'm not saying make it free just make it so everyone can afford it or have the right wingers shut up about everyone having an equal chance of success

Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cozy_Da_Djed_Eye

That's cool I can respect that thought. I still think apprenticeships > Diplomas and GEDs, though.

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:

thank god our colleges are for free
thats bad man every person should have an equal chance to go to college most people cant pay 20000-30000 per yer, let alone expenses
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Tech Schools nowadays are about better than an University.

Currently getting my AC Repair/Installation license..

Nordok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nordok  Moderator

Because the thought that the mechanic fixing my car might not have ever read Hedda Gabler is just downright terrifying.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Kal'smahboi

It just makes sense. From an employers point of view, if you are given the choice of two similar people (one with and one without a HS diploma) who would you choose?

crabtree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crabtree

I would choose which one i liked better. Or have them compete for it.

Stevens61310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Stevens61310

Speaking as some one who was part of the hiring process at a distribution center it isn't a set law or rule. There are literally 100's of thousands of jobs out there that do not require a HS degree or GED. BUT it is part of the screening process.

Let me give some insight on the way my company hired. Some years back we had an opening and we advertised it in the local paper. For one opening we received over 450 applications.

Here is a list of things that we looked at to thin the pile of applications:

1. With that many applications the applications without a HS degree or GED simply weren't going to make it. Because there will be probably be 300 that have HS degrees, GEDs, and even college.

2. If even one part is not filled out it doesn't make the cut.

3. If you didn't sign your application (you'd be surprised how many don't sign their application) it didn't make it.

4. If you put minimum wage as desired salary it didn't make it.

5. If at any time you made a mistake and ran a line thru the mistake and wrote the correct answer above it it didn;t make it.

6. If we knew you took the application home to fill it out it didn't make it.

That's just a few of the screening tips we did.

We are a paper work and acheivement based country when it comes to employment. The more you can show the better your chances are of getting a job. I myself have aHS degree, military classes, college classes, completed a certificate in logistics, received an A+ certification, and passed an H&R Block tax prepartion class. And I still have struggled on occassion to get employment. You need to always be learning and moving forward.

When I was younger (about 22 I think) I applied for a job and was turned down. When i called and asked why I was told because they hired some one with a history degree. The job itself was in logistics. So I pointed out tht the degree really didn't apply to the position. And the reply was--True enough but a college degree if it's not in a technical field just shows tht you are teachable and trainable.

With as many as there are out there looking for jobs you only hurt yourself if you decide to quit HS and not get a degree.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joshmightbe

@Stevens61310: That last example only applies to people who can actually afford the unreasonably high tuition or those who'll be instantly buried in debt the second they graduate due to student loans. College now days seems like a system made to keep broke people broke

Stevens61310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Stevens61310

I am not sure what your point is. All I am saying is the more you have the more likely you are to get a job. I stated no opinion on the price of education.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

Wow, this thread makes me worried about my future. My Parents both went to college and are barely skating by. We don't have enough money so the only way to get into college for me is through a scholarship.

How likely would it be for a kid in High School who gets all As and Bs (with the exception of one C per quarter) and does an after school activity 2/3 of a school year to get a scholarship?

Seems unlikely to me...I have no idea if it is, though.

FinnVarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FinnVarra

People look for GED/Diploma for the simple reason that hiring people and training them in costs the company money. If they have to get rid of someone that just isn't working, that costs the company even more money. If someone can't manage to make it through basic schooling that doesn't speak very well on their ability to A)learn new skills B) hold to a commitment. Not to mention it's a super easy way to weed a big chunk out of an application pile.

That being said, just lie about it. Most people won't even check on it. Some will, but a lot won't,

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@lykopis: Pfft I didn't get no higher learnings

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@lykopis: nods and eats a bowl of nails...without milk

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@joshmightbe:  

I feel if something is going to be a nationwide necessity for work then it should be made available to everyone. I'm not saying make it free just make it so everyone can afford it or have the right wingers shut up about everyone having an equal chance of success

Amen
Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Unless you're getting a degree in engineering, medicine, or something similar I really don't think you should bother going to college. An art history or sociology degree isn't going to get you anywhere besides perhaps grad school and you'll be buried in student loans. Don't think you have to go to college, there are a lot of other alternatives (trade school, etc.).

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OmegaDynasty
@utotheg38 said:

@joshmightbe said:

Know that feeling

*depressed fist bumps*

Not sure if you could afford Junior College, then just transfer over to a 4 year university and already be half way done.  
Know a lot of people who are doing that now with the economy as it is.
utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By utotheg38

@OmegaDynasty said:

@utotheg38 said:

@joshmightbe said:

Know that feeling

*depressed fist bumps*

Not sure if you could afford Junior College, then just transfer over to a 4 year university and already be half way done. Know a lot of people who are doing that now with the economy as it is.

I just signed up for community college XD

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By Erik

@joshmightbe said:

Just assume crushing debt through loans. It is the American way!

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Erik

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

I am sorry but I found this post hilarious.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cattlebattle
@Erik said:

@joshmightbe said:

Just assume crushing debt through loans. It is the American way!

true.....people attend school in their late teens into their twenties and have to pay loans off well into their thirties.......its basically a more unnoticeable form of slavery......
OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OmegaDynasty
@utotheg38 said:

@OmegaDynasty said:

@utotheg38 said:

@joshmightbe said:

Know that feeling

*depressed fist bumps*

Not sure if you could afford Junior College, then just transfer over to a 4 year university and already be half way done. Know a lot of people who are doing that now with the economy as it is.

I just signed up for community college XD

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By Aiden Cross

Well, it is an easy way for employers to see a persons level of thinking/intelligence. They assume that when a person has a higher education they will be able to pick up the job faster and easier, and able to grow in the company. Although in this time of economic crisis i've noticed you need both experience and education to get a job. And people who get out of university will have a hell of a job in finding work, simply because they have the theoretical knowledge, but not the practical side. And traineeships aren't widely available right now. At least not where I live.

RoyalDivinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RoyalDivinity

Unless you're a genius in a certain aspect(s), take the conventional road.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@Erik said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Okay. I get my license and right off the bat make around 30-40$ an hour, starting off.. Or I could go for plumbing, electrical, computer networking, etc. Get my license, get paid around 30-40$ an hour. Trades are sky high. At least where I am living. It's a fact.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Erik

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Erik said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Okay. I get my license and right off the bat make around 30-40$ an hour, starting off.. Or I could go for plumbing, electrical, computer networking, etc. Get my license, get paid around 30-40$ an hour. Trades are sky high. At least where I am living. It's a fact.

I do not care. I am an astronaut/theoretical physicist/mercenary/veterinarian making $10,000 in the time it took me to type it out. Your intended profession is not what made me laugh.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@Erik said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Erik said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

I do not care. I am an astronaut/theoretical physicist/mercenary/veterinarian making $10,000 in the time it took me to type it out. Your intended profession is not what made me laugh.

I'm not trying to justify my intended profession. What I am telling you is that if you go for certain careers (mainly trades) then a Technical School is just as good as a University.