Who is the worst father: Goku or Vegeta?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-604f8f087c7dd
deactivated-604f8f087c7dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who is the worst father: Goku or Vegeta? (151 votes)

Goku 66%
Vegeta 33%

Goku calls five year old Gohan a coward during his fight with Vegeta.
Goku offers up Gohan to Cell, having absolutely no understanding of his son's personality aside from the fact that Gohan gets angry when he's mad.
Goku elects to stay dead, leaving Goten with Chi-Chi.
Goku throws his fight with Majin Buu so "the kids can have fun."
Goku tells Chi-Chi that camping is more important than an education.
Gohan hugs Goku (in his Mystic form, before he goes to fight Super Buu) and Goku leaves him hanging.
Goku rarely acts likes a father, aside from him rescuing his kids from death.

Positives: Goku is generally proud of, and supportive of his sons.
His good-bye during the Cell Games.

Vegeta shows no intrest in Future Trunks, infant Trunks, or Bulma, until Futre Trunks is killed by Cell.
Vegeta is envious of his eight-year son's ability to transform, and then "accidentally" punches him in the face.
Vegeta kills thousands of innocent people while a father.

Positives: Vegeta's rage at Trunks' death.
Vegeta is there for Trunks to see him into adulthood.
Vegeta takes Trunks to the part after punching him in the face.
His farewell before his attempted sacrifice, where he cries and hugs his son.

• 
andr4132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By andr4132

This post should be in Off-Topic.

Btw, they're both worst father.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Goku is a better father than Vegeta.

Avatar image for precrisisbardock
PreCrisisBardock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku.

and Vegeta punched on reflex.

zill0678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dry your tears were going to the park

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ximpossibrux

Goku calls five year old Gohan a coward during his fight with Vegeta.

-The entire world was at stake, they were all going to doe. Also, he said "What are you a coward", meaning to stop acting like one. Everyone died, don't let their deaths be in vain for you being scared.

Goku offers up Gohan to Cell, having absolutely no understanding of his son's personality aside from the fact that Gohan gets angry when he's mad.

-What? The entire reason he had Gohan fight Cell was to unlock the power within him and fight. Also, Goku knows that Gohan will fight to protect, but doesn't enjoy it.

Goku elects to stay dead, leaving Goten with Chi-Chi.

-To save the world and keep it safe.

Goku throws his fight with Majin Buu so "the kids can have fun."

-No, he stalled the fight and wanted Gotenks to beat Buu. The reason for this is he wanted the future generation to take the torch, since Goku isn't going to be around for over a day. Pretty smart decision.

Goku tells Chi-Chi that camping is more important than an education.

-Anime and laced for pure comedy. Goku never grew up with an education, how would he know it's important. Also survival skills >> book smarts in DBZ.

Gohan hugs Goku (in his Mystic form, before he goes to fight Super Buu) and Goku leaves him hanging.

Why you gotta nitpick animation?
Why you gotta nitpick animation?

Goku rarely acts likes a father, aside from him rescuing his kids from death.

-Uh last time I checked. Sacrificing your life so that your son isn't turned into a space pirate, saving his life on a regular basis, spend time raising him since he was a baby, going on trips (anime filler stuff), and personally training him to reach his full potential.

The only reason Goku is treated as a "bad father" is because TFS keeps hammering that joke until it got really old. It's more Goku bashing than anything else.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a battle.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku is nicer so he wins by default.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They both suck.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, throughout DBZ abridged every single Goku/Gohan joke is just "Lol Goku is bad dad XD" This is where people get it from.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssjbatdan: Idk man. If you have a cold and mean father you're likely not going to look back at your childhood and think, "Wow, my dad was a stand-up guy."

zill0678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssjbatdan: Well the only reason I voted vegeta is what vegeta thinks after saying there going to the park. Upon knowing goku has a second son and is super saiyan only wants trunks to win to give him more pride for himself

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ximpossibrux said:

Honestly, throughout DBZ abridged every single Goku/Gohan joke is just "Lol Goku is bad dad XD" This is where people get it from.

He does do some really stupid things, though. He's so oblivious.

Still the new TFS Trunks Special was just Goku-bashing, for no reason. Pretty weird.

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nickzambuto

The "Goku is a bad father" joke gets old when people take it too seriously. No, Goku is not a bad father, he's actually kinda terrific since he regularly risks and sacrifices everything from his pride to his very life for Gohan.

ximpossibrux got it, I'd just like to add that his words against Gohan to fight Vegeta can be attributed more towards "tough love" than being a bad father. Since every bone in his body was broken at the time, Goku couldn't protect Gohan physically, but he was a good enough father to know how to motivate Gohan to protect himself. Most fathers would take that moment to start crying and say their goodbyes.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Darling_Luna

Both

zill0678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssjbatdan: except that he promised trunks an hour at the park

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nickzambuto

@ssjbatdan said:

@nickzambuto said:

I'd just like to add that his words against Gohan to fight Vegeta can be attributed more towards "tough love" than being a bad father. Since every bone in his body was broken at the time, Goku couldn't protect Gohan physically, but he was a good enough father to know how to motivate Gohan to protect himself. Most fathers would take that moment to start crying and say their goodbyes.

I agree, but I thought it should be mentioned since he did kind of flip out on a five year old, and put the fate of Earth in his hands. That's a lot of responsibility for a kid who doesn't truly want it.

Would he have been a better father to not put the fate of the Earth in Gohan's hands and just let Vegeta blow it up?

When you're in situations like that you have to make tough decisions. That's what being a father is about.

zill0678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssjbatdan: because it's tainted by exploitive motives for him self it's not purly for his sons enjoyment or even wanting to spend time with him it's all part of " I have to beat kakarot at something

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

@ssjbatdan said:

@nickzambuto said:

I'd just like to add that his words against Gohan to fight Vegeta can be attributed more towards "tough love" than being a bad father. Since every bone in his body was broken at the time, Goku couldn't protect Gohan physically, but he was a good enough father to know how to motivate Gohan to protect himself. Most fathers would take that moment to start crying and say their goodbyes.

I agree, but I thought it should be mentioned since he did kind of flip out on a five year old, and put the fate of Earth in his hands. That's a lot of responsibility for a kid who doesn't truly want it.

Would he have been a better father to not put the fate of the Earth in Gohan's hands and just let Vegeta blow it up?

Kind of, yeah, because when he put the fate of the Earth in Gohan's hands, Gohan saving Earth doesn't really make Goku a better father, especially when Piccolo trained him. It shows respect on Gohan's part, but also shows Goku as putting to much responsibility in his son, who is not at all like him, something he doesn't understand until the Cell Saga. Goku only thinks Gohan is different from him because Chi Chi doesn't let him train.

I don't understand. It's true that Goku misjudged Gohan's character during the Cell Games, but that has no barring on asking him to fight Vegeta. Goku didn't do that because he assumed Gohan would enjoy himself, he did it to save everybody's lives. Right afterwards he asked Krillin to take the Spirit Bomb and join in as well, does that make him a bad best friend? There were no options at the time, but with every bone in his body broken, Goku was able to coordinate a plan using every advantage available to him in order to defeat Vegeta. He proved that he can protect his family, AKA good father. And I don't think people should damn Goku just because he misjudged Gohan at the Cell Games either, that's as if misjudging your son and trying to figure him out isn't a basic part of fatherhood. Goku also displayed intimate knowledge of Gohan at the same time since he knew how much power he had dormant, he knew that Gohan could do it. And please don't be one of those people who brings up Piccolo as a better father figure, I'm sure Gohan was having a ton of fun getting thrown into mountains.

Putting responsibility on your child isn't a bad thing at all, it's a mark of good parenting. Gohan grew up to be a humble, responsible, fully functioning member of society, completely over all of his previous self-doubts and other problems, BECAUSE Goku put responsibility on him. Again, parents are supposed to do that.

oblivion360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

krillin = best father

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Goku's an uncaring monster who's only love is violence

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering..

Also, Vegeta killed about a hundred people, not thousands, if I remember correctly.

zill0678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssjbatdan: for his own gain, pure and simple he desired to win against goku, promised trunks a trip to the park if he complied and I belive he only came through on that cus he felt slightly bad for busting trunks face. CPS on the way

TheMagicStik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vegeta cares about Trunks so much more than Goku does or did about Gohan.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By reaverlation

The worst father is Bibidi

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By mickey-mouse

They should both be arrested for child abuse & neglect. Move this over to off topic though.

RandomSid82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of fictional characters are accused of being bad parents. Some actually are, and some are actually pretty good parents but are misunderstood. I see people accusing John Winchester from Supernatural of being a bad father all the time too.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bean man, the bean.

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssjbatdan: You said while he was a father. I thought you meant when he went Majin and killed those people in the crowd at the stadium.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Everyone knows Piccolo is Gohans real father, Vegita is at least around so Goku is worse

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, Piccolo was more of a father to Gohan than Goku was. Vegeta was a tough father,but at least he was there for his kids.