Who is the greatest empire to who haved ever lived?

• 101 results
The Black Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The Black Wolf

Me and my American History teacher were debating about this. Were pick the two of the best known empires ever. And they were the Roman empire and the British empire. And debated about who was the better. I said the roman. But what about you?

Iron Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Iron Doom

Roman for sure

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Well there are so many different aspects to consider in this situation. Land conquered, technology, government, academia, sheer military power, how long they remained in power, and architecture are just a few of the many diverese subjects one must consider before making a decision.

Also it is very difficult to compare vastly different cultures and nations from immensely different time periods. To compare the current American Empire to The ancient Chinese Empire, or The Mongul Empire, to the British Empire is just inneffective.

Now I guess if I was to answer your question I would answer it as which empire had the greatest impact on the rest of the world around them. Now I think that although both of those Empires were great , neither really would have come about or been the same without the influence of Alexander The Empire of Alexander the Great laid the building blocks that they later would use. Alexander laid the foundation for all of these later empires and he spead greek culture to diverse locales all over the world. The Roman's especially owe a great deal to Alexander's Empire.

Now if they were to face off head to head then well Rome would win, but that really isnt fair when you are taking into account Empires from such different locales and eras.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By King_Saturn
The Muppet Empire

LMFAO
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Genghis Khan

spartan177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spartan177

Mayan Empire in my opinion. I don't just judge in wars, conquests, and military. I judge other virtues.

lionheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lionheart
Vance Astro said:
"Genghis Khan"

thats the best empire ever. no doubt. it was 4 times the size of the roman empire and twice the size of alexanders empire
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Erik
Spartan 176 said:
"Mayan Empire in my opinion. I don't just judge in wars, conquests, and military. I judge other virtues."

And you call yourself a Spartan. Turns away in disgust.
lionheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lionheart
erik said:
"Spartan 176 said:
"Mayan Empire in my opinion. I don't just judge in wars, conquests, and military. I judge other virtues."

And you call yourself a Spartan. Turns away in disgust."

lol
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Genghis Khan conquered more area but he didnt prove nearly as much of an influence as others. The reason he was a ble to conquer so much land at the time was that they invented stirrups which enabled them to battle while on horseback, dominating the relatively weak tribes he conquered.

SeSAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeSAW

egyptian or roman, either of these

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

The Egyptian Army was not very strong compared to Alexander's or Rome's or China's for that matter

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By King_Saturn
Vance Astro said:
"Genghis Khan"
And its True
Matches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Matches
Spartan 176 said:
yeah mayan or sumarian.
Perfect Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Perfect Cell
Lunacyde said:
"Genghis Khan conquered more area but he didnt prove nearly as much of an influence as others. The reason he was a ble to conquer so much land at the time was that they invented stirrups which enabled them to battle while on horseback, dominating the relatively weak tribes he conquered."

Genghis Khan had the largest and most intimidating Empire ever known on Earth. The reason as you say the Mongol Empire did not prove to be of influence towards other cultures is due to his ploy to capture the fear of others by making them believe that he is the Avatar of their Gods. Genghis khan could of wiped out entire nations at the same time wiped out all of their faith, but he admired the "Holy Men" of all the nations he had captured and spared them to keep their faith and preach the word that the Avatar of God is coming to cleanse the world. Genghis Khan was very cunning and great manipultor as well as a great war strategist and tactician. He used faith as an advantage to help him conquer.

The only problem to this tactic was that people feared Genghis Khan rather than respected him (other than Mongols themselves). As Genghis Khan progressed, the  recent nations that he concqued stayed strong until he died due to natural old age.  Now that the true Khan had parished, all of his children began to fight for his replacement. Kublei Khan was the Grandson and the last successful Khan. He attacked Japan to expand the Mongol Nation, but to no prevail. Japan beat them. And while Kublei was getting old, the other family was still fighting and separating.

And lastly... due to religion... Because of Genghis' ploy of keeping all the religions in tact while he conquers... The Mongol Nation split into religious groups. One of the last Mongolian Tribes was in the far mid-east only to be lead by the Great Attila the Hun.

So the difference between the Roman and Mongol Empire was simply because the Roman's took over nations as well as demolished the nations religious faith which Genghis Khan did not. That's why alot of people will be more inspired by the Roman Empire. But as far as army power and strategy brilliance; Genghis Khan wins. The Roman army and strategy are march-like block routine battle system. They all move at once creating a more stable and wall-like attack and defensing system. However; The Mongols battle system was "everyone" has a role, and better "dirty tactic" attacks. Like spying, infiltrating, setting traps, using bombs and missles. They were also extraordinary in horseback spanning master swordsmenship and bow&arrow while on horse back. But they also like to do the "Pierce & Surround" approach that works perfect for routine blockage army walls because they would use AAA horsemen to pierce through the wall of one blackage into the center cuasing the army block to loose stature and be confuse because the whole blockage will be concentrating on trying to regroup, but then another batch of horsemen surround the block and shoot arrows while riding on horseback. The Mongols were ruthless and unstoppable, and the only reason why Japan beat the Mongols during Kublai's time was because of the Ocean's Kamikaze (Divine Winds).

So in my humble yet, very logical opinion... Genghis Khan's Empire was the Greatest. Even his army and tactics were superior to that of the Roman Empire, Greek, the Persians, and even Alexander the Great.

Perfect Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Perfect Cell

And the 3 Kingdom Dynasty were pretty strong too; but as the title states... 1 Nation... 3 Kingdoms.... The Romance of the 3 Great Chinese Kingdoms were more at war with themselves than the rest of the world, but the rest of the world kept out of it because they knew that if they were to be in quire with China, the 3 Kingdom's would unite and crush them.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Methos
SeSAW said:
"egyptian or roman, either of these"

I actually feel physically sick saying this, but i agree with SeSAW...

Don't mess with the dudes that build these without any modern technology... respect!
Don't mess with the dudes that build these without any modern technology... respect!
well, with the Egyptian empire bit anyway lol

The Egyptian Empire, between the 16th century BCE and the 11th century BCE, was Egypt’s most prosperous time and marked the zenith of its power. It expanded far south into Nubia and held wide territories in the Near East. Egyptian armies fought Hittite armies for control of modern-day Syria.

The pharaohs established a period of unprecedented prosperity by securing their borders and strengthening diplomatic ties with their neighbors. Military campaigns waged under Tuthmosis I and his grandson Tuthmosis III extended the influence of the pharaohs into Syria and Nubia, cementing loyalties and opening access to critical imports such as bronze and wood.

In technology, medicine and mathematics, ancient Egypt achieved a relatively high standard of productivity and sophistication. Traditional empiricism, as evidenced by the Edwin Smith and Ebers papyri (c. 1600 BC), is first credited to Egypt, and the roots of the scientific method can also be traced back to the ancient Egyptians. The Egyptians created their own alphabet and decimal system.

Seriously, these dudes were masters of the arts...
Ancient Egyptian physicians were renowned in the ancient Near East for their healing skills, and some, like Imhotep, remained famous long after their deaths. Medical papyri show empirical knowledge of anatomy, injuries, and practical treatments. It has been proven that there was a high degree of specialization among Egyptian physicians, with some treating only the head or the stomach, while others were eye-doctors and dentists, marking Ancient Egypt as the first Empire to actually has specialized doctors while the rest of the world was still working in general 'dark age' times.

Texts such as the Rhind Mathematical Papyrus and the Moscow Mathematical Papyrus show that the ancient Egyptians could perform the four basic mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division). Use fractions, compute the volumes of boxes and pyramids, and calculate the surface areas of rectangles, triangles, circles and even spheres and they mastered concepts of algebra and geometry during this period even though these forumlae  would not be actually 'descovered' by the 'new world' for several millenia.
Still standing after nearly three thousand years... who else can claim that?

The architecture of ancient Egypt includes some of the most famous structures in the world: the Great Pyramids of Giza and the temples at Thebes. Building projects were organized and funded by the state for religious and commemorative purposes, but also to reinforce the power of the pharaoh. The ancient Egyptians were skilled builders; using simple but effective tools and sighting instruments, architects could build large stone structures with accuracy and precision.

All Egyptian architecture was built using complecated mathmatical formulae to calculate where the building would be placed in accordance with the God's to allow for maximum cooling and access to various parts of the actual towns or cities. They were also 'planned' systematically to allow for ease of access via streets and other passages built into the actual structure or 'secret passages' added later on to allow for escape or seclusion from enemies.

M
Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hadrelius

The British Empire is a  result of the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire still influences the world and hasn't actually ended.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Vrakmul

British Empire in terms of territory.  It has almost no contenders.  Though the french empire is better.  :P

The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The Scientist

Egypt

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hadrelius
The Scientist said:
"Egypt"

I don't they can be considered an Empire.
Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tenjin

Alexander's may not have been the largest or most well known but in my opinion was extremely powerful based on the fact in that time frame the Persians had already conquerored the "unconqueorable" then he dominated them....I say Alexander FTW

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hadrelius

How about the Ottoman Empire? Or the Assyrian Empire?

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tenjin

I like the Ottoman and Assyrian, the thread says Greatest Empire and I think barbarians and monguls can judged for the combat prowess and empire expansion but really doing something that effects the rest of the world for years to come is what i consider Great.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hadrelius
Tenjin said:
"I like the Ottoman and Assyrian, the thread says Greatest Empire and I think barbarians and monguls can judged for the combat prowess and empire expansion but really doing something that effects the rest of the world for years to come is what i consider Great."

I agree. That's why without a doubt it's the Roman Empire. Without it there wouldn't have been a British Empire.
Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Tenjin
Alpha said:
"Tenjin said:
"I like the Ottoman and Assyrian, the thread says Greatest Empire and I think barbarians and monguls can judged for the combat prowess and empire expansion but really doing something that effects the rest of the world for years to come is what i consider Great."

I agree. That's why without a doubt it's the Roman Empire. Without it there wouldn't have been a British Empire."
Without Alexander who is to say there would be a Roman empire o_o the whole history of the world could be rewritten
Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hadrelius
Tenjin said:
"Alpha said:
"Tenjin said:

I agree. That's why without a doubt it's the Roman Empire. Without it there wouldn't have been a British Empire."
Without Alexander who is to say there would be a Roman empire o_o the whole history of the world could be rewritten"
Hmm! Good Point!
Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tenjin
Alpha said:
"Tenjin said:
"Alpha said:
"Tenjin said:

Without Alexander who is to say there would be a Roman empire o_o the whole history of the world could be rewritten"
Hmm! Good Point!"
High Fives I do think in second it would be the Roman Empire
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Static Shock

The Roman Empire was the most significant. But, the longest living empires were the Egyptian and the Mayan.

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tenjin

I think an honorable mention should go to Persia as well.....

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Persia got curbstomped by Alexander......Persia had 7x as many soldiers and he whooped their butts. He lost 500 men, they lost 110,000 men.

Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Tenjin
Lunacyde said:
"Persia got curbstomped by Alexander......Persia had 7x as many soldiers and he whooped their butts. He lost 500 men, they lost 110,000 men."
thats what i said earlier....take a look.
Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kurrent

I would say Rome

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By John Valentine

THE ROMAN EMPIRE.

The Black Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The Black Wolf
Methos said:
"SeSAW said:
"egyptian or roman, either of these"

I actually feel physically sick saying this, but i agree with SeSAW...

well, with the Egyptian empire bit anyway lol

The Egyptian Empire, between the 16th century BCE and the 11th century BCE, was Egypt’s most prosperous time and marked the zenith of its power. It expanded far south into Nubia and held wide territories in the Near East. Egyptian armies fought Hittite armies for control of modern-day Syria.

The pharaohs established a period of unprecedented prosperity by securing their borders and strengthening diplomatic ties with their neighbors. Military campaigns waged under Tuthmosis I and his grandson Tuthmosis III extended the influence of the pharaohs into Syria and Nubia, cementing loyalties and opening access to critical imports such as bronze and wood.

In technology, medicine and mathematics, ancient Egypt achieved a relatively high standard of productivity and sophistication. Traditional empiricism, as evidenced by the Edwin Smith and Ebers papyri (c. 1600 BC), is first credited to Egypt, and the roots of the scientific method can also be traced back to the ancient Egyptians. The Egyptians created their own alphabet and decimal system.

Ancient Egyptian physicians were renowned in the ancient Near East for their healing skills, and some, like Imhotep, remained famous long after their deaths. Medical papyri show empirical knowledge of anatomy, injuries, and practical treatments. It has been proven that there was a high degree of specialization among Egyptian physicians, with some treating only the head or the stomach, while others were eye-doctors and dentists, marking Ancient Egypt as the first Empire to actually has specialized doctors while the rest of the world was still working in general 'dark age' times.

Texts such as the Rhind Mathematical Papyrus and the Moscow Mathematical Papyrus show that the ancient Egyptians could perform the four basic mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division). Use fractions, compute the volumes of boxes and pyramids, and calculate the surface areas of rectangles, triangles, circles and even spheres and they mastered concepts of algebra and geometry during this period even though these forumlae  would not be actually 'descovered' by the 'new world' for several millenia.

The architecture of ancient Egypt includes some of the most famous structures in the world: the Great Pyramids of Giza and the temples at Thebes. Building projects were organized and funded by the state for religious and commemorative purposes, but also to reinforce the power of the pharaoh. The ancient Egyptians were skilled builders; using simple but effective tools and sighting instruments, architects could build large stone structures with accuracy and precision.

All Egyptian architecture was built using complecated mathmatical formulae to calculate where the building would be placed in accordance with the God's to allow for maximum cooling and access to various parts of the actual towns or cities. They were also 'planned' systematically to allow for ease of access via streets and other passages built into the actual structure or 'secret passages' added later on to allow for escape or seclusion from enemies.

M
"

That's true. But, the Roman buildings are stills standing today. Probably the best known architecture of the Romans is the Colosseum. My point is that the Romans still have their stuff standing today. I know the Egyptians were probably the best builders in the world, but didn't the Roman empire expand as far as to Egypt?
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Egyptian art, sculture, and architecture is as great but honestly overall thier empire was pretty weak in comparison to some of the others. Thier building was impressive, but thier military, area conquered, and inluence on the region are not in the same league as some other empires.

The Black Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The Black Wolf
Lunacyde said:
"

Egyptian art, sculture, and architecture is as great but honestly overall thier empire was pretty weak in comparison to some of the others. Thier building was impressive, but thier military, area conquered, and inluence on the region are not in the same league as some other empires.

"
That's basically my point.

Roman Empire at it's Greatest.
Roman Empire at it's Greatest.
 I believe this was 117 AD.
The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The Scientist

I'm going to go a bit far off and say NATO from a birds eye view.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator
Tenjin said:
"Lunacyde said:
"Persia got curbstomped by Alexander......Persia had 7x as many soldiers and he whooped their butts. He lost 500 men, they lost 110,000 men."
thats what i said earlier....take a look."

I know I just wanted to point out that they lost 110,000 men and he lost a mere 500...........that is brilliance....that is ridiculous!
Tenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Tenjin
Lunacyde said:
"Tenjin said:
"Lunacyde said:
thats what i said earlier....take a look."

I know I just wanted to point out that they lost 110,000 men and he lost a mere 500...........that is brilliance....that is ridiculous!"
PWNed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The Scientist
The Scientist said:
"I'mgoing to go a bit far off and say NATO from a birds eye view."

The Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The Scientist
John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By John Valentine

Imperii Romani.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Hmmm ....technically those arent Empires....their rulings are non binding for one

Ball Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ball Buster

The British empire .At one time. The sun never set upon it.

iSHADOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By iSHADOW
THE GALACTIC EMPIRE

rock on tyranny, rock on.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By King_Saturn
iSHADOW said:
"THE GALACTIC EMPIRE

"
Ha Ha Ha  !  Nice
Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hadrelius
Static Shock said:
"The Roman Empire was the most significant. But, the longest living empires were the Egyptian and the Mayan."

If you consider them empires.
Taki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Taki

The British empire

HobGadling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HobGadling

It's between Han Dynasty China and Alexander's Greece for me.