Who is Symbol of America? Superman or Captain America?

• 74 results
Avatar image for deactivated-59e0e7cc44079
deactivated-59e0e7cc44079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People told me that Superman is Symbol of America and Others told me that Captain America is Symbol of America? That's really weird!

Who is Symbol of America? Superman or Captain America?

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they're idiots. Why would a comic character be a symbol of America?

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman. He was first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I think Superman, Despite Capn having America in his name, Superman is America.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Captain America.

AdmiralLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both I think. I like the captain more though.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Squalleon

I think Captain America.

Superman has other elements that overshadowed the All-American. But both stand for the dream, not the country.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap for America. Superman for the world.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Noone301994
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

The guy with America in his name

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rogueshadow  Moderator

Captain America.

Superman is a symbol for the progress of humanity as a collective. The 'truth, justice and the American way' vision of Superman has been dead for years now, the general populace is only now being made aware of this, which is why there was a knee-jerk reaction to MoS in my opinion.

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a real interesting question with no easy answer. Both character's began as a reflection of American values and beliefs. At this point it's pretty cliche but they stand for freedom, justice, and basically doing the right thing against all odds and adversity. Thing's have become much more grey for the American people in term's of what constitutes justice, how far we should go in the name of security, or even really what the 'right thing' is. As such, both character's have gone through periods which reflect exactly those issues. I'd contend that Superman is much more 'America-like' in his iterations. Captain America is basically, all good, all the time. He knows what's right, what he wants to do, and alway's comes down on the side of classic American values... which, to be honest isn't really all that American. Superman on the other hand has been drawn to be complex as all get out. Sometimes he has qualms about what he's going to do... doesn't even want to hurt a fly. Other times... he's got no problem being brutal as all get out in the name of public safety and security. That's much more a reflection of American society as a whole. Frankly... we collectively are all over the place with our morals and values. Some are pacifist, some say 'freedom' at all costs... despite security concerns. Other's gladly endorse fascist, racist, bigots in the name of safety. Most are somewhere in-between. Kinda like the various iterations of Superman. Cap. America on the other hand has never had such crisis's of conscious. Therefor... i'd say he's less a representation of America so much as the American ideal. Superman on the other hand has (in various guises) gone through periods of being benevolent, helpful, trustworthy, to being the guy who's trying to take over the world for it's own good. That sound's pretty American to me.

kfhrfdu_89_76k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Captain America beats up and kills people with the goddamn flags colors on him.

America.

Of course he`s against all the atrocities his country causes. But why doesn`t he go to the source? To the multibillionaires who control the senate. Tell `em he`s protecting the activists who try to make his country and the whole world in to a better place?

Why doesn`t Superman, the god, do that?

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Rouflex

Superman=Canadian

Captain America=United Statien

Question:What about Wonder Woman?

Come at me bro

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is an animal being a symbol any better? No.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20 Lunacyde  Moderator

Both are considered American icons.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Captain America is probably the definitive American icon, Superman moved past that whole patriotic thing a while ago.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Cap represents America perfectly - stuck in the 40s and only good because of drugs.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This isn't an either or question. It can be both.

RyuBG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capt America = America

Superman = "aliens"

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I legit laughed.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

cap for america

supes for hope

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

It makes more sense than a fictional character.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey said:
@monsterstomp said:

Its an animal. It doesn't speak. Doesn't have any real ideals. Doesn't think. And it honestly has no real symbols/their symbols are made up by whoever sees it first.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

@mrnoital said:

Cap'Merica, Superman is Canadian

That scan. 10/10

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few things.

Is the United States of America perfect? Of course not. Did we basically rescue the world twice in the last hundred or so years? Well...frankly yes. The second time, did we subjugate and drive the countries we fought under our boot? Hey..no..we helped them recover, and rebuild their booming economies. Us rascally Americans! Yeaaah, we're fat, lazy, and stupid. Yet we still manage to dominate in the Olympics, land scouting technology on Mars. Again, we've made some REALLY big mistakes, but JEEZ people, you act like we're some big, evil, entity that's trying to take over the world...wait, no, that horrible President Ronald Reagan beat THEM by finishing them off with a vastly superior economy, and avoiding that whole icky nuclear war thing....(semi kidding, that's a MASSIVE over simplification, and we had help, yet it's still not UN-true). Seriously, we've slipped a little into the "needs improvement" block, but people act like we're this horrific crap sandwich..kind of getting old.

ANYWAY, I like the IDEA of both Superman and Captain America being Symbols for the US, however they're really symbols of comic book companies. Further, the character's stances and political beliefs at any given time are governed by the writers and editorial staff of their given companies. I like to THINK that they're both symbols of America. CA especially, but when it gets down to looking at them a little closer, they come apart, well...like comic book paper. I still hang my Captain America T-shirts in the same closet with my other patriotic T shirts anyway :)

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex said:

Superman=Canadian

Come at me bro

I've asked this before. What does United Statien mean? I've only ever heard it on CV. I can't find it on any search engine. I'm not going to get mad if it's an insult to the United States, everyone has a right to their opinion. It's just annoying me that I don't know what this means or where it comes from? Is it French (or another language?) for States? Am I THAT out of touch? Please give an old fellow a big of info please :) Have a nice day :)

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex said:

Superman=Canadian

Come at me bro

I've asked this before. What does United Statien mean? I've only ever heard it on CV. I can't find it on any search engine. I'm not going to get mad if it's an insult to the United States, everyone has a right to their opinion. It's just annoying me that I don't know what this means or where it comes from? Is it French (or another language?) for States? Am I THAT out of touch? Please give an old fellow a big of info please :) Have a nice day :)

Some french says Americain, but then again some say États-Uniens (Which is not the same as United Statiens since the 'iens is on the United). It is the only logic way to say it. Do you have any other way to say it that wouldnt include name appropriation? You know exactly what it means, you are just that troll from my thread that want to start flames or something. Keep your feets away from mines.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex said:
@heroup2112 said:
@rouflex said:

Superman=Canadian

Come at me bro

Some french says Americain, but then again some say États-Uniens (Which is not the same as United Statiens since the 'iens is on the United). It is the only logic way to say it. Do you have any other way to say it that wouldnt include name appropriation? You know exactly what it means, you are just that troll from my thread that want to start flames or something. Keep your feets away from mines.

? I don't troll anyone, for anything. You answered my question, which is all I wanted to know. It's no longer bugging the back of my brain, and I appreciate it. Have a nice day.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rouflex

@heroup2112 said:
@rouflex said:
@heroup2112 said:
@rouflex said:

Superman=Canadian

Come at me bro

? I don't troll anyone, for anything. You answered my question, which is all I wanted to know. It's no longer bugging the back of my brain, and I appreciate it. Have a nice day.

I already answered your answer in the past IIRC, so... Have a nice day.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

TheArchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Most of the things you listed wasn't done only by the USA. There is something called ''allies''. You might want to check that out.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Most of the things you listed wasn't done only by the USA. There is something called ''allies''. You might want to check that out.

There is also something called "leadership".

ILikeBigTits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap represents America perfectly - stuck in the 40s and only good because of drugs.

Almost.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Try again.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I meant was. In the World War 1, the Western Triple Entente (Britain, France,and Russia..until they pulled out during their internal revolution) was mired down and (especially after the loss of Russia) was LOSING the War of Attrition against the Triple Alliance (Germany, Italy, and Austria-Hungary ...and to some degree the Turks of the fading Ottoman Empire). America entered the War in early 1918 sending in fresh troops (about 10,000 a day), by that summer, the Triple Entente (the Good Guys) did nothing BUT win by powerfully outnumbering and outfighting the Triple Alliance in November of that year. Read again, the Entente was losing.

WW2. The Axis (Germany, Italy, and Japan) were kicking the poop out of pretty much everyone. Though BRAVELY and BRILLIANTLY fought (no that was NOT sarcasm) the six month Battle of Britain was a completely defensive, and indecisive holding action. I WILL also admit that Montgomery's actions in N Africa was the ONE decisive victory in the war up until the US entered, and done brilliantly, especially against the equally brilliant "Desert Fox" Erwin Rommel . However things were NOT looking good for the Allies...even a little. The Germans and Italians controlled the whole of Europe the WHOLE of it, to include Iceland and Algeria ....wait..I forgot....they didn't take Spain and I forget why). Once the US joined, Britain was safe, Patton helped Montgomery clean up the last of the Germans and Italians out of N Africa. More men, equipment, and (most importantly) logistical support (amateurs discuss force of arms...professionals discuss logistics). This enabled the Allies to invade France, and begin their move toward the Rhine. THEN, Hitler REALLY screwed up, decided he needed a stronger supply of oil and went and invaded Russia, this doubled the speed of his doom as well. Though I'd bet most Germans preferred the West side of the Wall to the East..just a guess.

No, the US couldn't have done it all by ourselves. We actually tried to stay out of it (which was always a short sighted mistake..isolationism just doesn't work). However, the Allies couldn't have done it withOUT us...at all. So yes, it's fair to say we saved the Entente's and the Allie's butts. It's also fair to say (in response to a lot of the anti-French garbage some of my fellow Americans like to spout) that we owe the French for us having a country to begin with..on the other hand...we've payed that Bill, twice over. Still, Ithink it sucks that they get bashed so hard by "us". Just because I'm happy to be an American, doesn't mean I ignore our failings, or absolve myself of them..good with the bad and all.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Cap Wins.

Pre-new52 garbage Supes could have had this..

America:

No Caption Provided

phantomjolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listens to the team murica theme song and fist pumping in the air like i just don't care.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hahahahaha

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:
@petey_is_spidey said:
@monsterstomp said:

Its an animal. It doesn't speak. Doesn't have any real ideals. Doesn't think. And it honestly has no real symbols/their symbols are made up by whoever sees it first.

Still makes more sense than a fictional character.