• 50 results
#1 Edited by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking for the best heroes of mythology from places other than the Greco-Roman world, I don't mean gods that sometimes did heroic things but actual human heroes, if they have powers that's cool but not mandatory. They can come from any culture other than Greek or Roman.

#2 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Arthur Eld.
  • King Arthur.
  • Robin Hood
  • Beowulf
  • William Wallace.
#3 Edited by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: William Wallace was actually a real guy, he was almost nothing like the version in Braveheart aside from being a Scottish soldier, but he was a real guy. The rest of your list was good tho.

#4 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Oh, you meant people who were created? Cause there's a lot of misinformation about Wallace as you said so I didn't know if he counted.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: Basically no one that can be solidly confirmed to have actually existed, I'll count Robin Hood and King Arthur because despite many claims that either they actually existed or they were based on real people none of these claims have any rock solid proof. As far as I know Beowulf is still considered pure myth and I'll have to look up the other Arthur you mentioned unless you meant Arthur's father, ( I know of him a Uther Pendragon but I have heard him referred to as that as well)

#6 Edited by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Arthur Eld is the from the Dark Tower series, completely fictional. He's essentially a slight copy of King Arthur but in another world.

#7 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

Skadi, Norse goddess of winter/bow hunting/skiing. Yes she is a goddess but there are some pretty awesome legends with her in them.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13: I know of Skadi, Also she was technically a Giantess who became a goddess so she's kind of a grey area here

#9 Edited by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: Arthur Eld isn't a mythological figure then. Mythological figures typically mean from old stories in the ancient world and Arthur Eld is a modern character if he's from the Dark Tower book series since that is a relatively modern fictional character so I don't think he applies to the parameters of the question.

#10 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13: I'll take your word for it, I don't know the criteria. :]

#11 Edited by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: I'm mainly going for stuff from old myths and folk tales, I've never read Dark Tower so I don't know if they based characters off other stuff so the dude is pretty much sliding by on my ignorance but I'm hoping people will stick to myth and legend and not try to sneak in Avengers or JLA members.

#12 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Gilgames 1/3 god, 2/3 human (I think)

#13 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Nah, like Vortex said, it's better to leave Arthur Eld off your list.

#14 Edited by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@loki9876: Demi-gods are fine as long as they're Earth born heroes with at least some human in them.

#15 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13: I know of Skadi, Also she was technically a Giantess who became a goddess so she's kind of a grey area here

Yeah I was aware of that as well so I felt she was kind of available as a choice. Like you said, grey area lol.

Let's go for a Chinese hero now,

Fu Xi, look him up he's pretty cool.

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13: Sort of a Chinese Adam, right? I'm vaguely familiar with him but I don't know the specifics.

#17 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

@vortex13: Sort of a Chinese Adam, right? I'm vaguely familiar with him but I don't know the specifics.

Yeah kind of. There are some variations that say he created the world yet he is not ever said to be a god. He also was said to be the first emperor of china (but he wasn't real). He was born with a snakes body as well.

#18 Posted by The Stegman (23204 posts) - - Show Bio

Beowulf, King Arthur and Sir Gawain

#19 Posted by fables87 (950 posts) - - Show Bio

Robin Hood, Beowulf, Sir Gawain, Cú Chulainn, Roland

#20 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Edited by fables87 (950 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Celtic myths. He connects with the the goddess Morrigan. Look him up.

#22 Edited by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

Beowulf, Gilgamesh, King Arthur, and Coyote(When he's a hero and not just screwing with everyone).

#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@mysterioususername: Thor is a god so he doesn't really count for this thread, Coyote while a great mythological character isn't even partially human but is Earth Born so he's another one of those grey area characters for this thread.

#24 Posted by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Eh, all the myths I read with Coyote in them didn't really make it clear just what the heck he was.

Then again I haven't really read that many.

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@mysterioususername: I think he was intended as an actual Coyote in many of the myths just with supernatural abilities and higher intelligence tho I can't say that with any certainty

#26 Posted by Skyfire (708 posts) - - Show Bio

Cu Chulainn, Beowulf, The Finna, King Arthur.

#27 Edited by IfDCRuledTheWorld (645 posts) - - Show Bio

British heroes: King Arthur, Robin Hood

American heroes: Paul Bunyan, John Henry

#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@ifdcruledtheworld: Paul Bunyan is one of my favorite American folk tales, its one of the few that seems like a genuinely mythic story

#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#30 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if this qualifies (plus it might be too obscure for you) but there is an Inuit myth centred around a person named Ka-ha-si. He was just a boy but managed to save his village from hunger, a large giant and ultimately, mountains that were encroaching onto their village. (He pushed them all back to where they belonged and created a river to prevent the mountains from moving across it).

He was called by his grandfather to his destiny which is I guess a variation of Atlas. They say whenever there is an earthquake, it's him shifting the weight of the earth from one shoulder to the other.

#31 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

The Far East/South Asia imo.

Garuda

Indra

Lei-Kung

Shangdi

Marici

to name but a few.

#32 Posted by consolemaster001 (4983 posts) - - Show Bio

Keloğlan lol

#33 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16131 posts) - - Show Bio

@chaos_prime:

Well Karna has a way better story than either Indra or Garuda..

#34 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

@chaos_prime:

Better & alot longer ;) please tell me youve read the Mahabharata from start to finish :)

#35 Edited by i_like_swords (13293 posts) - - Show Bio

Arkantos and Kastor

From the Age of Mythology series, which was based loosely on Greek, Egyptian and Norse myth, alongside their interpretation on Atlantean mythology, which is what Arkantos and his son Kastor were based on.

AoM is a pretty old game, but it's still one of the best ever to be made.

#36 Edited by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: He started out human and he isn't Greek or Roman so he counts.

#37 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@consolemaster001: Not sure if that counts, myth implies there was some point when people believed it was real, I'm not well versed in this character but his wikipedia page just refers to him as a fictional character. if he does have some actual mythological roots tho he qualifies.

#38 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to mention Sigurd Fafnesbane and Ragnar Lodbrok. Could probably find some more Norse but those are the two I could come up with without some sort of research

#40 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Edited by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Insert any character from the Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night here

Gilgamesh (BEST BECAUSE HE IS THE FIRST HERO)

King Arthur (or in Fate/Zero case Arturia)

Diarmuid Ua Duibhne (Irish)

Lancelot

Rostam

Romulus

#42 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@chaos_prime: I'm looking for who people consider the best, I know of quite a few mythological heroes already.

#43 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

@chaos_prime: I'm looking for who people consider the best, I know of quite a few mythological heroes already.

Sorry misread ur OP.

#44 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8211 posts) - - Show Bio

King Arthur has always been a particular favorite of mine.

#45 Posted by Pwok21 (2249 posts) - - Show Bio

Cu Chulainn, Siegfried, Gilgamesh and Monkey.

#46 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16131 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Edited by superstay (9649 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

@xanni15 said:
  • Arthur Eld.
  • King Arthur.
  • Robin Hood
  • Beowulf
  • William Wallace.

This...And I might add

• Sun Wukong
  • Mulan (Yes, Disney's Mulan...Thought, I think she might have been real.)
  • David
  • Samson
  • The Twins of Navajo Myth
  • Han Xin

I'm get back to you with more

d^_^b

#48 Posted by WarBlade539 (4501 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1 said:

@chaos_prime:

Better & alot longer ;) please tell me youve read the Mahabharata from start to finish :)

I have. At school. :P

#49 Posted by PowerHerc (81712 posts) - - Show Bio

Cuchulainn & Beowulf.

#50 Edited by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

Perun saves mankind from Veles every year. (Slavic myth)