#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember back when everyone flipped out that Heimdale was being played by a black dude? Where does this outrage go when a white person "Cough Johnny Depp cough" plays a native American? Last time I checked there were plenty of Native American actors working these days.

#2 Posted by BlackReaper (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, but they're no Johnny Depp.

#3 Edited by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

I thinks its horribly stupid casting, but the movie looks like crap anyway, so I suspect it will get its just desserts.

People actually cared about Thor, but anyone who complained about the casting of Heimdall probably at their words when they watched it, cause Elba was amazing, one of my favourites.

#4 Posted by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Johnny Depp is Native American.....

So he's claimed since like 2002, just like at some point he started speaking with an English accent. Johnny Depp is a pretty good actor, but a horrible tool.

#6 Edited by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

This is really not a shocker, especially with The Last Airbender so recent in everyone's minds, but as another poster said, Depp is involved. Everyone loves Depp, plus I'm not sure this movie is going to do well at the box office, there's not really that much publicity, I guess they're just expecting Depp to carry it in a supporting role.

#7 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember back when everyone flipped out that Heimdale was being played by a black dude? Where does this outrage go when a white person "Cough Johnny Depp cough" plays a native American? Last time I checked there were plenty of Native American actors working these days.

I was pissed at both of these castings and said as much. Johnny Depp claims to be Native American in RL was best part. Is it even whitewashing at this point? So much of Hollywood is not even American at this point. Walking Dead is full of foreign English actors and most comedians seem to be Canadian for that matter too. Bane wasn't White in the comics that was 'fixed' for the Movie. Bah. It's all a bunch of garbage anyway and reclaiming/repairing Media is the least of our problems IMO.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: No he decided to start telling people he was about 10 years ago based on the fact his great grand mother was Native American and he wasn't even sure what tribe she was from.

#9 Edited by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Then tell Halle Berry she can't play a black person anymore......

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: There is a difference between being half black and having a distant relative of indeterminate origin who you think may have been native American

#11 Edited by russellmania77 (15438 posts) - - Show Bio

i was more angry about bruce lee's character kato being played by some nobody actor in the last movie

#12 Posted by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

You really think Halle Berry is "Half Black" Ancestry.com......

#13 Edited by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

Horrible casting choice and I hope the movie falls on it's ass (it wont) because Lone Ranger deserved to be made into a good movie. The last revision of Lone Ranger is one of my favorite graphic novels. I also agree that Tonto deserved to be played by a respectable Native American. People would be pissed if Storm was played by a white woman wearing dark coverup and vice versa.

#14 Posted by SC (13120 posts) - - Show Bio

What about when Polynesian actors are cast as Hispanics? Or is it more to do with people and their perceptions? If they look the part well then they play the part well? As a facial recognition expert who is part robot I can accurately identify the ethnicity of all humans and their families as well down to a 99.876 success rate. Therefore I can inform you are all racists and sexists and probably kick dogs for not keeping all your complaining consistent when it comes to actors and actresses. All of you, even yes you. Only robots like me are exempt and I am actually only a non robotic actor who plays a robot on TV.

#15 Edited by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo said:

I thinks its horribly stupid casting, but the movie looks like crap anyway, so I suspect it will get its just desserts.

People actually cared about Thor, but anyone who complained about the casting of Heimdall probably at their words when they watched it, cause Elba was amazing, one of my favourites.

Heimdall was the best part of the movie(tied with Loki). I don't mind the casting my only question is how is he the brother of Sif? Stranger things have happened before but still its kinda weird don't ya think?

#16 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5619 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea the casting pissed me off. Rrminds me of Dragonball only Depps talented.

#17 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

the only good depp films were edward scissorhands, rango and sweeney todd other than that, he hasnt done anything worth while. i think lou diamond phillips wouldve been a great tonto as hes actually native american and has acting chops.

#18 Edited by cattlebattle (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

@umbrafeline said:

the only good depp films were edward scissorhands, rango and sweeney todd other than that, he hasnt done anything worth while. i think lou diamond phillips wouldve been a great tonto as hes actually native american and has acting chops.

Add Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to your list....or there will be death.....and no, Lou Diamond Phillips is Phillipino. One of his parents is like a quarter Cherokee.

On topic: Does anyone really give crap?? Its a movie. As long as the character is convincing in the role its all good.

#19 Posted by cattlebattle (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Then tell Halle Berry she can't play a black person anymore......

Add Zoe Saldana to this point. She is a 100% hispanic and has played black women before...no one cares though.

#20 Edited by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane is half-English in the comics, so it's possible for a white actor to pull off the role---- especially since Hardy's voice sounded like Sean Connery speaking through Darth Vader's mask. As for there being plenty of Native American actors in Hollywood, yes, sure, but none of them have anything close to the star power than Johnny Depp has. He's there to maximize profit. It just makes more sense from a commercial studio's perspective to cast him in the role, regardless of his dubious origin story, than it is to feature a relatively unknown Native American actor in one of the leading roles of your film. Halle Berry is a reasonably bankable star, and there are plenty of successful black actors who reel audiences in through their star power, so they don't face quite the same conundrum.

#21 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

@umbrafeline said:

Add Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to your list....or there will be death.....and no, Lou Diamond Phillips is Phillipino. One of his parents is like a quarter Cherokee.

On topic: Does anyone really give crap?? Its a movie. As long as the character is convincing in the role its all good.

are you threatening me? if so then bring it on :-) and people do give a crap about whos in a film. we thought high expectations in green lantern but were disappoined by the casting of ryan reynolds and the special effects

#22 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

<p>#19 Posted by cattlebattle (11071 posts) - 3 hours, 5 minutes ago - Show Bio</p><p>@judasnixon said:</p><p>@joshmightbe: Then tell Halle Berry she can't play a black person anymore......</p><p>Add Zoe Saldana to this point. She is a 100% hispanic and has played black women before...no one cares though.</p><p>Most Hispanics are black or have bkack ancestry, it's just not "American" black. Slaves were dropped at all those islands in the Carribean and all over South America too. A lot of them deny it because they aspire to the European aesthetic.

Hollywoods been whitewashing ethnic roles with the "white" lead forever.

#23 Posted by cattlebattle (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

are you threatening me? if so then bring it on :-) and people do give a crap about whos in a film. we thought high expectations in green lantern but were disappoined by the casting of ryan reynolds and the special effects

:)

I just mean that its simply a movie. Things people get mad at should be things like bills, the government, cheating girlfriends or boyfriends. Not some stupid movie you will forget they made in like 2 years. You know?There are certain fils that stand the test of the time like most Batman films but c'mon...the Lone Ranger??

I meant as long as as the character is good in the role. I don't think Ryan Reynolds was good in that role or any role for that matter. Thats my opinion though.

#24 Edited by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

@umbrafeline said:

:)

I just mean that its simply a movie. Things people get mad at should be things like bills, the government, cheating girlfriends or boyfriends. Not some stupid movie you will forget they made in like 2 years. You know?There are certain fils that stand the test of the time like most Batman films but c'mon...the Lone Ranger??

I meant as long as as the character is good in the role. I don't think Ryan Reynolds was good in that role or any role for that matter. Thats my opinion though.

what you say about reynolds is not an opinion but a fact and everything else you say makes some cents

#25 Edited by cattlebattle (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

what you say about reynolds is not an opinion but a fact and everything else you say makes some cents

Haha. Yeah, Reynolds just seems like he has been playing the character of Van Wilder in everything for about a decade and a half....and all comic fans think he is perfect for like very role.....GL, Flash, Deadpool. I just don't get it.

#26 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo said:

Heimdall was the best part of the movie(tied with Loki). I don't mind the casting my only question is how is he the brother of Sif? Stranger things have happened before but still its kinda weird don't ya think?

I doubt gods are slaves to genetics like we are, so anything is possible.