• 79 results
#1 Edited by Vaeternus (8328 posts) - - Show Bio

So, curious I noticed a thread asking the opposite but I'm more curious as to what video game franchises NEED or are worthy of their own comic book series?

Sure we've seen some like MK, SF, RE, Super Mario etc few others get temporary comic series sadly not-canon.

But would you like to see perhaps some older franchises like these get a CANON comic book series again? If so from which point in the video game timeline? Post which gaming series, which characters and timeline in the series you guys think would make a great comic book series or spin off a game or perhaps one that coincides with the game?

My personal favorites that should get a canon on going series are the following:

Mortal Kombat(For obvious reasons, great universe to explore and to shut up the haters of people thinking MK characters are "mere humans" they need a canvas to really show off their powers and what they're capable of. Not to mention the many realms, characters of MK never explored in the games but mentioned could be digged into more deeply.

Street Fighter(Same reasons for MK really)

Super Mario(Perhaps dig into Bowser, how he was created, where did he come from? I'd like to see a Mythology of him honestly and why he's obsessed with Mario.

Psi-Ops:The MindGate Conspiracy(this game needs a sequel badly and hasn't happened at least make a comic continuing the saga)

Skyrim series-I'm not into the genre but it does look like a cool series

Bioshock-I just love the alternate universe gig, really cool.

Smash Brothers-I'd like them to explain deeper what caused the universes to mingle since they never really explained it in the games.

That's all I have for now, so many have to think.

Discuss.

#2 Edited by IrishX (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a gamer myself but I've always been a fan of Metroid. There's a couple comics out there but not a real series. Always good to have another title with a lady as the main character too.

#3 Posted by Orlok_Tharidizun_the_Destroyer (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@irishx: This.

And please, undo the damage Sakamoto made with that...

...thing...

#4 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Posted by Vaeternus (8328 posts) - - Show Bio

...thing...

Metroid, good choice. I remember playing the first two games and loved the music. I can see her having a cool comic series.

I'm not a Zelda fan per-se but I think that could make an interesting comic series.

#6 Edited by CrimsonCake (2666 posts) - - Show Bio

Mirror's Edge.

It had a limited series which took place before the game.

However, I would like an ongoing title which continues Faith's story. I believe they planned for it to be a trilogy expanding into three games but that's not happening since it's getting a prequel for the Xbox One.

#7 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@orlok_tharidizun_the_destroyer said:

...thing...

Metroid, good choice. I remember playing the first two games and loved the music. I can see her having a cool comic series.

I'm not a Zelda fan per-se but I think that could make an interesting comic series.

Samus Aran has a very Batman like Backstory.

Orphaned at the age of three by Ridley and his space pirates who torched her homeworld to get at the crystals her friends and family were mining for.

Raised by the Chozo, a dying race of ancient super advanced aliens who had befriended her parents, and was imbued with great power, training, and their warrior legacy.

Oh and then the Chozo all either die or leave the known universe because Ridley and his space pirates want to move into Zebes at the behest of Mother Brain, one of the other of the Chozo's final legacies.

And now she is the vengeance, the night, and the huntress whom the space pirates speak of in feared tones.

She has enough pathos to make for a dozen characters.

#8 Posted by tparks (2351 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Starcraft
  3. Darksiders - There was a short comic, but it was only one or two issues
  4. Batman: Arkham Origings....Oh wait
#9 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

But who would be the creative team for a nintendo comic?

I think Valiant has the rights to do Nintendo but I'm not sure.

#10 Posted by Vaeternus (8328 posts) - - Show Bio

Mirror's Edge.

However, I would like an ongoing title which continues Faith's story. I believe they planned for it to be a trilogy expanding into three games but that's not happening since it's getting a prequel for the Xbox One.

I never played mirror's edge, heard it was a great game though.

@vaeternus said:

...thing...

Orphaned at the age of three by Ridley and his space pirates who torched her homeworld to get at the crystals her friends and family were mining for.

Raised by the Chozo, a dying race of ancient super advanced aliens who had befriended her parents, and was imbued with great power, training, and their warrior legacy.

Oh and then the Chozo all either die or leave the known universe because Ridley and his space pirates want to move into Zebes at the behest of Mother Brain, one of the other of the Chozo's final legacies.

And now she is the vengeance, the night, and the huntress whom the space pirates speak of in feared tones.

You're a chick right? You seem to be a big fan of Samus lol. Wasn't there also that evil Samus character too?

#11 Edited by XImpossibruX (5029 posts) - - Show Bio

Nintendo is Japanese, meaning they produce manga.

They have Legend of Zelda manga and Pokemon.

#12 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

God Of War

#13 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@crimsoncake said:

Mirror's Edge.

@guardian_of_gravity said:

@vaeternus said:

...thing...

You're a chick right? You seem to be a big fan of Samus lol. Wasn't there also that evil Samus character too?

Samus has had two evil clones. And yes I am in possession of a vagina and functional tits.

The first is SA-X, formed out of a self replicating organism known as the X-parasite that can infect any creature, then replicate them, and duplicate itself endlessly, it can even go through solid armor and shielding and gained all your powers, memories, and intelligence, which made for a very frightening foe.

The second is Dark Samus. Dark Samus was formed when Samus Aran, whose suit was inlaid with Phazon after absorbing it from the Omega Pirate's corpse, fought and defeated the Metroid Prime, a phazon based organism who in it's dying moments, latched onto Samus and ripped the phazon out of her suit to build itself a new body. It's motivated by a desire to regain it's power by absorbing more of the radioactive substance, and out of sheer hatred for Samus Aran due to the pain she inflicted on it when she destroyed it's body to save Tallon IV from it's corruption.

Dark Samus had a lot of Pathos and character despite never saying a single intelligible word in it's appearances.

#14 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

Nintendo is Japanese, meaning they produce manga.

They have Legend of Zelda manga and Pokemon.

They did have a Metroid Manga for Samus' origins, though it was pretty corny, it does contain useful background information on the character.

A more professional take on her would be welcome.

#15 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: I loved mirrors edge it was unique at the time as well.

#16 Posted by Vaeternus (8328 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus said:

@crimsoncake said:

Mirror's Edge.

@vaeternus said:

...thing...

Samus has had two evil clones. And yes I am in possession of a vagina and functional tits.

The first is SA-X, formed out of a self replicating organism known as the X-parasite that can infect any creature, then replicate them, and duplicate itself endlessly, it can even go through solid armor and shielding and gained all your powers, memories, and intelligence, which made for a very frightening foe.

The second is Dark Samus. Dark Samus was formed when Samus Aran, whose suit was inlaid with Phazon after absorbing it from the Omega Pirate's corpse, fought and defeated the Metroid Prime, a phazon based organism who in it's dying moments, latched onto Samus and ripped the phazon out of her suit to build itself a new body. It's motivated by a desire to regain it's power by absorbing more of the radioactive substance, and out of sheer hatred for Samus Aran due to the pain she inflicted on it when she destroyed it's body to save Tallon IV from it's corruption.

Dark Samus had a lot of Pathos and character despite never saying a single intelligible word in it's appearances.

lol you're a funny little thing haha. Was just curious :P

Oh wow you know a lot about Metroid, more then anyone I've ever encountered. So Dark Samus don't talk but is smart, sounds similar to a symbiote in some ways.

#17 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: Dark Samus does make a lot of evil laughter and seems to be able to relay commands to beings it corrupts with Phazon somehow. Essentially, it's a near Eldritch Abomination trapped in a humanoid form because it's old body was destroyed and Samus had the only template around it could use. So it's angry, vengeful, and has the smarts to act on it.

The Metroid Prime essentially drove the Metroid Prime trilogy, with only hunters not featuring it in any way. And hunters was more of a spin off game, still canon, but ultimately quite self contained.

#18 Posted by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Madworld, at least for a mini-series.

#19 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

DmC, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect (with an actual good on-going this time).

#20 Edited by Vaeternus (8328 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: Dark Samus does make a lot of evil laughter and seems to be able to relay commands to beings it corrupts with Phazon somehow. Essentially, it's a near Eldritch Abomination trapped in a humanoid form because it's old body was destroyed and Samus had the only template around it could use. So it's angry, vengeful, and has the smarts to act on it.

The Metroid Prime essentially drove the Metroid Prime trilogy, with only hunters not featuring it in any way. And hunters was more of a spin off game, still canon, but ultimately quite self contained.

cool

#21 Edited by MonsterStomp (13185 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: Does Halo have an ongoing series? I know it has a few issues but still.

#22 Edited by Bucco3 (102 posts) - - Show Bio

Dead Space it has a few mini series from I believe image but not a ongoing.

#23 Posted by Bucco3 (102 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Edited by dngn4774 (2238 posts) - - Show Bio

Borderlands

Dishonored

Fable (To fix what Molyneux put it through)

#25 Posted by Bucco3 (102 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: Halo's had on-going's before. Right now, Dark Horse has the rights and they kicked it off with Initiation last week.

@bucco3 said:

@deranged_midget: dark horse has a mass effect comic now

Do they? Last one I was aware of involved Liara searching for Shepard and another one detailing the Illusive Man's back story.

#27 Edited by Bucco3 (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: I know they have one I've just never read it and I believe it was a new series the one I saw a few weeks ago was either a new story arc or new series

#28 Edited by bananaz (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Metal Gear Solid was the first thing I thought of, the second was Legend of Zelda. Both could be amazing. How about some Final Fantasy action? FF9 and FF12 had pretty great worlds I would want to see more of.

#29 Edited by GraniteSoldier (4560 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure I already made a thread like this once. Anyway, here are mine:

• Legacy of Kain (I need to see what happens with Raziel and Kain)
  • Fallout (not based on any of the games, but the world is huge and you could make 1000s of stories)
  • Elder Scrolls (see Fallout)
  • Castlevania (old Nintendo nostalgia seeing Simon Belmont's story get some new life breathed into it)

#30 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

have you read the AC mini with the russian assassin? it's pretty good.

#31 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget said:

No I haven't actually! I was curious as to where Nikolai(is that his name?) originated from.

#32 Posted by Vaeternus (8328 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget said:

I was just thinking MGS and AC would also make cool ones

#33 Posted by MonsterStomp (13185 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: That's cool. I want to see Master Chief in more issues though :/

#34 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: That's cool. I want to see Master Chief in more issues though :/

From what I've read Initiation is all about the Spartan IV's and takes place in prior to Halo 4 so it's highly unlikely we won't be seeing John anytime soon in that series.

#35 Posted by MonsterStomp (13185 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp said:

From what I've read Initiation is all about the Spartan IV's and takes place in prior to Halo 4 so it's highly unlikely we won't be seeing John anytime soon in that series.

Are you keen on reading Initiation?

#36 Posted by OverLordArgeist (5260 posts) - - Show Bio

Xenogears, I want it to be explored more.

#37 Posted by War Killer (19500 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to see an Assassin's Creed ongoing. I feel one of the problems with the game series is that it continues to focus on one person's ancestors; I think it would be nice to focus on other Assassin's who could be just as cool as characters like Altair and Ezio.

#38 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you keen on reading Initiation?

Read the first issue, it was relatively average. I don't really care for Sarah Palmer or the Spartan IV's.

#39 Posted by nickzambuto (11471 posts) - - Show Bio

Well DMC had a manga if it counts :P

#40 Posted by nickzambuto (11471 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Resident Evil is prime for a comic series.

#41 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (2740 posts) - - Show Bio

Bioshock would be pretty cool.

#42 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget said:

For real? Was it any good? I'm assuming that's for the previous series before it became rebooted by Ninja Theory. I personally was impressed by the reboot and I'd love to see a comic based on it.

#43 Posted by darkazrael999 (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774 said:

Borderlands

Dishonored

Fable (To fix what Molyneux put it through)

This.

Also
InFamous
Dead Space
Assassin's Creed
Sleeping Dogs
Crysis
Ninja Gaiden

#44 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I'd write a Metroid comic myself if there was an opening for it.

Samus deserves some good exploration of her character.

Someone with as much internalized pain as she does has so many possibilities.

#45 Posted by darkazrael999 (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@deranged_midget said:

For real? Was it any good? I'm assuming that's for the previous series before it became rebooted by Ninja Theory. I personally was impressed by the reboot and I'd love to see a comic based on it.

There were several novels and a manga series based on Devil May Cry 3. Also an anime. And I liked the gameplay of the new DmC but they completely ruined Vergil and Dante. Especially Vergil. Also there is no Mary and Trish. I loved the old Dante. He was just badass; from his gun-slingin', pizza eatin' antics to his Devil Trigger. Sigh!

#46 Posted by thespideyguy (2580 posts) - - Show Bio

Star Wars The Old Republic.

#47 Posted by Chaos Prime (10589 posts) - - Show Bio

Imo

Fallout3 great setting, characters & just full of bad guys :)

Halo - just all round epic.

Deus Ex - Again great all round storyline.

#48 Posted by nickzambuto (11471 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@deranged_midget said:

Like, for realy reals.

It's canon, takes place a year before DMC3 and shows Dante's first meeting with Vergil after the demons killed their mother (Dante thought Vergil had been dead). You can find it pretty easily online, definitely interesting for fans of the series.

#49 Posted by Xaa (282 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget said:

Assassin's Creed had a mini series? When was this?! By who?

#50 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@xaa: http://www.comicvine.com/assassins-creed-the-fall/4050-36576/