#1 Posted by sabracadabra (526 posts) - - Show Bio

Just curius as to what the King fans on comicvine though.

Do you prefer King's supernatural stories like Salem's Lot and The Shining?

or do you prefer King when he writes about normal people in unusual situations like Shawshank Redemption or Apt Pupil?

or do you like them the same?

#2 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him either way. But in order here is how I like him:

1. High-Fantasy (Dark Tower)

2. Horror

3. Life stories

#3 Edited by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio

... I feel like a jerk coming into a Stephen King thread opening with "I can't stand the pretentious Stephen King." Well too late to retract that... so here we are.

What I will say is that I didn't dislike "The Long Walk." That was an interesting story with characters I was rather invested in. I just couldn't bring myself to actually like it. It was the overall story that I liked, not the presentation, which is the problem I have with all Stephen King stories (and George Lucas... hm... perhaps that was a little low)

#4 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan:

I freaking love King, but I hate his politics. So there goes to show not even a fave gets away with everything. :P

But to answer the thread, I love Cell, The Stand (uncut), Cycle of the Werewolf, Rose Madder, Under the Dome (although parts of it did get very annoying with the Republican stereotyping in place), Creepshow (he wrote the script).

I pretty much read all of the King bookss in my local library, that's how much I love his works. The only other writer I ever managed to do that to was RL Stine in the 3rd grade (I wasn't allowed to even touch a Goosebumps book until then.)

#5 Posted by WillPayton (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

... I feel like a jerk coming into a Stephen King thread opening with "I can't stand the pretentious Stephen King." Well too late to retract that... so here we are.

What I will say is that I didn't dislike "The Long Walk." That was an interesting story with characters I was rather invested in. I just couldn't bring myself to actually like it. It was the overall story that I liked, not the presentation, which is the problem I have with all Stephen King stories (and George Lucas... hm... perhaps that was a little low)

That is actually the only Stephen King book I've ever read... and it was before I even knew he wrote it. I dont go out of my way to avoid him or anything, I'm just more into sci-fi or comics for my reading.

But, anyway, I liked The Long Walk.

#6 Posted by HolySerpent (12465 posts) - - Show Bio

Supernatural stories

#7 Posted by protectyournose (908 posts) - - Show Bio

IT

Maximum Overdrive

The Shining

Fright Night

The Green Mile

#8 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

Desperation/The Regulators is my all time favourite. I have every one of his books, and I absolutely love him. No, he isn't perfect. But he is so self effacing, he always refers to his work as the Big Mac of fiction. He doesn't claim to be anybody's intellectual feast. And yet, On Writing has been praised as one of the greatest writing guides since Elements Of Style, and I find his work to be reminiscent of Steinbeck, and Twain.

#9 Posted by Ms. Omega (4404 posts) - - Show Bio

Supernatural stories.

#10 Posted by The Stegman (23221 posts) - - Show Bio
....I just watch the movies.
#11 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

The Stand is the only one I've read but it is off the wall great in every way