#1 Posted by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

So yeah lol I know, lots of choices but I wanted to cover every sport literally lol.

Of course all sports are tough to win in, to a point but consistently, year in, year out what do you think is the hardest?

I'm kind of stuck between baseball and hockey honestly. Mostly due to the crazy length of the seasons every year.

Part of me also is with shooting depending on what you're shooting.

Discuss

#3 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

Pimping

#4 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

Martial arts,according to a lot of people on this site,A lot of people who dedicate their lives to learning martial arts arn't that good.

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

What category does "Ninja Warrior" fall under?

#6 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

croccodile wrestler.

#7 Posted by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I think that could be debatable. I mean Ali pretty much dominated the sport in his time.

I think a team oriented sport is harder because it requires everyone to do their job, if just one or two guys do well and the rest of the team sucks...you're not winning anything. Example, Basketball one or two guys can dominate if the rest are struggling...as oppose to baseball or hockey which is more team oriented. Pretty much a team has to work together and have chemistry.

In a one on one sport I think it's easier because you and you alone are in control of your own destiny, there's nobody else to depend on or rely on. This is just my opinion and views after playing bowling matches one on one, games and playing baseball as well.

#8 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

That's what I was thinking lol.

#9 Posted by _slim_ (13050 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

Pimping

True, true. It ain't easy mane.

#10 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19874 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

@Gambit1024 said:

That's what I was thinking lol.

Other.

I'm such a party pooper lol.

#11 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone said baseball? Really? It takes hand-eye coordination and some level of strength and speed, but for most of the time in that sport you're sitting or standing and not really moving at all.

#12 Edited by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex, I take it you've never played baseball lol. Hardest thing to do in all sports, hit a baseball. It's a statistically proven fact. You have 0.2 seconds to commit and it's not easy at high levels, trust me lol. Hang eye coordination in all sports is key but baseball the ball is so small to your eyes and you have little time to make a choice to swing or not. You're not sitting most of the time, unless you're benched. If you're referring to waiting to bat, it's just a small window to relax since you have to back out there and play in 95 degree+ heat for a period of over 4 hours at times...

@Gambit1024 said:

Martial Arts

#13 Edited by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vaeternus: I have played baseball. The reason I don't find it that hard is because honestly it's not that physically demanding and your endurance doesn't have to be that high to play it. Also it isn't 95+ degree heat for each game. Rugby, soccer, American football, triathlon, competition swimming, and distance running are all harder in my opinion.

#14 Edited by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

@Vaeternus: I have played baseball. The reason I don't find it that hard is because honestly it's not that physically demanding and your endurance doesn't have to be that high to play it. Also it isn't 95+ degree heat for each game. Rugby, soccer, American football, triathlon, competition swimming, and distance running are all harder in my opinion.

Well, being as how I've played a ton myself, I've also learned that the lack of physical contact is made up for with bad weather, most other sports are indoors in AC arenas or colder weather. It's not as physically demanding being a non-contact sport(although good luck telling a catcher that). I used to catch a little, it's fun but it does have it's moments, but yeah squatting for hours on with equipment on, taking balls off your face sometimes not fun. Mostly an outfielder. Still, that being said temperature does have an affect on the game and players. Ball travels farther for one, and it's tougher on the players as you need to be hydrated not just by playing but playing in extreme heat. Arizona and Texas for example, they play night games as much as possible and it's still 100 degrees, day games you're talking 110. I don't want to even imagine playing in that heat....for hours straight.

Endurance I'll disagree with ya there a little bit because your body needs to be hydrated and alert, if you're not. You won't perform well. Football is more rough obviously, however they also play in cooler weather keep in mind. Baseball, not nearly as physical but weather wise it's more difficult and far longer to play I want to add. There's no set 15 or half hour breaks like in other sports. If your pitcher has a bad inning, you're out there a while. If you go three up, three down your break is very small. Do I believe endurance wise baseball is the hardest? No. Probably soccer overall. But win in? Yes. That's really what I'm asking here.

Soccer I believe is the most difficult in terms of strictly endurance, stamina because you're constantly moving just about. Football is just physically rough but I don't believe is the hardest to win in by any stretch. Triathlon, ehh not so much. Swimming I think is challenging but again one of those sports where it's just you vs. everyone else, there's no team orientation to it. Distance running requires endurance above all else similar to soccer.

I think you're talking about most endurance sport, which is another issue. They all require some, some more then others but I'm asking mostly which is the hardest to win in flat out. Reason why I feel baseball(hockey being my second choice) aside from being that I played tons of it at higher levels, is that the season alone also requires overall endurance and consistency. In MLB you play 162 games, easily the longest season of any sport in a single season by far...so when a team wins 4 championships in a row, that's ridiculous to me considering the length of the season and how good a chemistry the team whole has to have for success. Especially when one guy can't save the rest of the team like in some others sports.

Rugby, Football etc again while more physically demanding then say Baseball or Hockey. Isn't as difficult to win in overall as Baseball or Hockey is. If you want to ask, what's the most physically demanding sport. Obviously it's Football(american) or most likely Rugby. But most physical doesn't mean most difficult.

#15 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

Baseball is the easiest sport ever.

#16 Edited by LONGTIME (926 posts) - - Show Bio

^ Auto racing takes the most endurance. Try doing 200 to 300 laps inside a oven. You left out pro bull riding.

#17 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vaeternus: To me being a hard sport means it has to be physically demanding. I honestly don't see baseball as being that physically demanding. And you keep bringing up heat when is some games it's raining or cloudy. Not ever game is played in extremely hot conditions. And MLS soccer is played from spring to November sometimes, so it's not like thats a short season. I do not know of many indoor football, soccer, or rugby arenas honestly and their are some baseball stadiums that have retractable roofs. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

#18 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

On another note, a hard sport to win it should also be taken into the number of goals or whatever in the sport. Soccer games end in a 0 0 result a lot, which to me indicates it's a hard sport to win.

#19 Edited by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightcrawler,

Baseball is arguably one of the hardest sports to win in.

@Vortex13 said:

@Vaeternus: To me being a hard sport means it has to be physically demanding. I honestly don't see baseball as being that physically demanding. And you keep bringing up heat when is some games it's raining or cloudy. Not ever game is played in extremely hot conditions. And MLS soccer is played from spring to November sometimes, so it's not like thats a short season. I do not know of many indoor football, soccer, or rugby arenas honestly and their are some baseball stadiums that have retractable roofs. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Well I do agree with you on baseball not being "the most physically demanding" but as far as hardest to win in? I'm definitely going to say Baseball for pure length of the game, the season and the weather you have to play in yearly. Not every game is played in hot conditions but a lot are. Soccer is also pretty long too, but I also used to play soccer and have to say unless you're a guard or someone moving constantly it's not TOO bad physically. It's more draining just moving around constantly then anything else. If you're the goalie, it's not that bad.

Arena Football is pretty big in certain parts of the USA and was big in Canada(don't know if it still is as well as Europe) They had an Arena AFL I believe in USA on TV but it died...

The retractable roofs cost a lot of money so only a few MLB stadiums or parks have them like PNC, Toronto, Seattle, Miami, Houston and I think a few more if at most. Usually they play with it open unless it's really bad weather. The only indoor baseball stadium still up is Tampa. But sure, I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. I do agree with you on some of your points.

I think personally any sport with single runs, points, goals whatever is harder then others. Meaning baseball, hockey and soccer would get my picks. Football and B-ball, you can get multiple points in one shot. Not the case with the former mentioned sports. You know?

#20 Posted by menaceforever (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Table Tennis. You need good a$$ reaction speed for that.

#21 Posted by Wolfrazer (5924 posts) - - Show Bio

Other: Gladiatorial Combat 

Now I know this isn't around anymore, but I would assume it would be very hard to win. I mean you had to been in shape for those sorts of thing, learn how to use weapons and try to kill the other person who wouldn't hold back at all in trying to kill you.

#22 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm I'll have to say Hockey would be the hardest for me.

#23 Posted by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure if Gladiatorial Combat is considered a sport but sounds more like martial arts area.

#24 Posted by Wolfrazer (5924 posts) - - Show Bio

Well they were games, they were in the ancient Olympics so it could be considered a sport. But I guess, though they weren't knocking eachother out of anything they were going for kills so I put it at other.

#25 Posted by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

Well they were games, they were in the ancient Olympics so it could be considered a sport. But I guess, though they weren't knocking eachother out of anything they were going for kills so I put it at other.

Probably thousands of years ago for sure, modern day though that would no doubt be under fighting of course which probably Martial Arts or Mixed Martial Arts would no doubt cover. Crazy how people were entertained by that lol. It wasn't just fights, it was fights to the death and stuff. Crazy stuff lol.

#26 Posted by The Stegman (22710 posts) - - Show Bio

Dragon Slaying 

#27 Edited by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Baseball takes a lot of talent. Everyone knows how to jump in and play basketball or soccer. No one can come in and hit a 102mph fastball. Even europeans can play soccer.

I choose decathalon thats a whole lot of stuff you have to be good at,

#28 Posted by Jezer (3006 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7482 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

Baseball isn't as easy as you think. Throwing a variety of different pitches at high speeds or with alot of movement from a 60 ft and 6 inches distance ain't easy. Hitting a ball that's going over 90 mph or doing crazy movements (screwballs, 12-6 curveballs, eephus). OR throwing a perfect accurate pass from 3rd base to first, belly flopping on the dirt to catch a ball and then stand quickly and try to achieve an out or double play, or from way out in the outfield to home plate. Even outfielders don't have it easy. Think about pitching perfect throws while the bases are loaded, your team is one point in the lead and you have no outs. Your job could rely on how well you get out of that situation.

Baseball is tough. Not the toughest, but tough.

#30 Posted by danhimself (22210 posts) - - Show Bio

being awesome is a sport? and to think this whole time I thought that I wasn't any good at sports

#31 Posted by Gravy (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Gymnastics is by far the most difficult... it demands your ability to maneuver and orchestrate your entire body to execute the correct moves as well as the confidence to overlook the risks of making a mistake. I'm not saying Gymnastics is leagues above other sports but it sure does demand a lot from it's athletes. Flexibility, strength, timing and technique at it's finest.

#32 Posted by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

I think in terms of flexibility, Gymnastics is up there. Overall hardest? Not too sure about that.

@Duke_Nasty said:

Baseball takes a lot of talent. Everyone knows how to jump in and play basketball or soccer. No one can come in and hit a 102mph fastball. Even europeans can play soccer.

I choose decathalon thats a whole lot of stuff you have to be good at,

Good point, it is the hardest thing to do in all sports afterall. When I was a kid I was like pfft how hard is it to hit a ball..hahaha, man was I wrong. Especially when like you said it's coming at you at high 90's -over 100 MPH....there are people who can't even hit a tennis ball that fast...

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Vortex13 said:

Baseball isn't as easy as you think. Throwing a variety of different pitches at high speeds or with alot of movement from a 60 ft and 6 inches distance ain't easy. Hitting a ball that's going over 90 mph or doing crazy movements (screwballs, 12-6 curveballs, eephus). OR throwing a perfect accurate pass from 3rd base to first, belly flopping on the dirt to catch a ball and then stand quickly and try to achieve an out or double play, or from way out in the outfield to home plate. Even outfielders don't have it easy. Think about pitching perfect throws while the bases are loaded, your team is one point in the lead and you have no outs. Your job could rely on how well you get out of that situation.

Baseball is tough. Not the toughest, but tough.

Good point, how I forgot about pitching...I'd NEVER be a pitcher, ever. One I prefer to keep my arm well my whole life lol, two it's a lot of strain on the muscles, three prefer to avoid surgury lol, four I'm scared of line drives coming back at my face. You can make the case being a pitcher is arguably the hardest position in all sports for a lot of reasons. He's in control of the ball initially, you never know when a ball is coming back at you how hard or where(or broken pieces of bats now...) Did you see what happened to this guy? Crazy stuff....why I'd NEVER be a pitcher, couldn't pay me. Hitting is hard to. I definitely think baseball is top 3 most difficult no joke for various reasons.

#33 Posted by Ms. Omega (4366 posts) - - Show Bio

A game I call Infinity it never stops.

#34 Posted by Sumnerus (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Battle of the Sexes, pretty much a contact sport

#35 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

subjective

#36 Posted by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700, depends what you mean by subjective. There's various areas you can break down.

@ Ms. Omega, just sports not games. Games would be an infinite list lol.

#37 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

The game

....See? You just lost.

#38 Posted by Deadite (20109 posts) - - Show Bio

Bear fighting.

#39 Posted by Skyfire (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Hurling

#40 Posted by jhazzroucher (14718 posts) - - Show Bio

Street Lugeing. you might die before you reach the finish line. : )

#41 Posted by Vaeternus (9325 posts) - - Show Bio

Preferably real sports ;)