Which Multiverse is harder to follow, DC's or Marvel's?

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which Multiverse is harder to follow, DC's or Marvel's? (65 votes)

DC's 37%
Marvel's 34%
Both are equally as difficult to follow 20%
Hmm, undecided. 3%
Neither. There's other series more confusing, harder to follow like TMNT, Gundam, Star Trek, Sliders, DBZ etc 11%

Ok, so for fans of the Multiverse/Multi-verse/Alternate Universe stories over the years from DC and Marvel specifically but if you follow others such as the ones listed in Others category or perhaps one I missed that you don't see, feel free to elaborate.

But I must say IMO out of every show or series that has a multiverse, I think it's close between DC and Marvel's. I noticed prior to New 52 it was assumed DC has a unlimited amount of alternate universes til they established that there are 52, then came out with the New 52 as we all know. Marvel I think it's unlimited? I think the way they number it is annoying, with Earth 296, Earth 616, Earth 2149, Earth 5021, Earth 9997, Earth 615.9. At least with DC while it's also confusing at times I admit, they go but numerical order for the most part ie Earth 1, Earth 2, Earth 40, Earth 50. Marvel seems more random I've noticed.

Then there's TMNT which hinted in the TMNT:Turtles Forever film that there is an unlimited or non-stated amount of Earth's in their multiverse. Star Trek, same thing we just know there's a multiverse, Sliders etc

But discuss, which series DC or Marvel have the more confusing, hard to follow multiverse you think?

• 
legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Equally confusing.

Avatar image for deactived-1352151
deactived-1352151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So who's is more confusing then? ^

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

I don't get what's so confusing about the concept of the multiverse. It's only when you bring in things like the Monitors that it gets anywhere near confusing.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_tree
PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Marvel. DC's n52 reboot was an excellent decision imo. Made things surprisingly easier to follow for new readers. In fact, getting surprised by a friend considered n00b was how I started to keep up with them. Marvel has a large amount of mess over the decades that needs sorting. Now!and point one work pretty fine, but not as much clear imo.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back before the New52 it was DC. All of those different Earths were kinda hard to keep track of I guess.

Marvel is fairly easy.

In a scientific standpoint though, neither are difficult. But when it comes to keeping track of the different versions of characters, DC takes the cake.

Or it did, back before Anti-Monitor wrecked every universe.

Jmarshmallow

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Both are easy to follow.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

DC. Easily.

Beata

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC keeps rebooting, having more than one Earth One in their history becomes annoying to explain.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By HumanRocket
primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By primebonnick

It was DC but with the reboot it is much easier now. Still honestly they are both equally confusing at the best of times.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Neither. Besides it's called the multiverse for a reason.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe complexity comes down to how invested you are in a particular comic universe.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't really find either confusing

galactus1967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must admit,I have always hated the DC universe,even as a small child 40 years ago whatever.I could tell DC was for kids and marvel for more sophisticated people.To me DC is complete garbage after Super Man probably the first and greatest hero of all time and Batman,after that they can all swim away on Auqaman`s sea horse.I have an issue of Metal Men from 1961 and it sucks,the writing and art sucks,and is worth about 12.00$ in mint condition.Sorry to be so hard on D.C,But to do things like the Wonder twins(powers activate,form of a frozen jack ass)I even forget what the other girl could do as her powers sucked so bad.And lets not forget ,I think their names were Wendy and Marvin.And they had no powers at all,but I think they had a dog who could make his tail grow.No wonder I became a Marvel fan.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@galactus1967:

I'm going to assume that you are talking in past tense because DC comics has changed a lot since Super Friends.

galactus1967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I have to say I am talking past tense,but as a DC fan you get the gist I think.It turned me off to a lot of their good stuff.And Marvel wasn`t helping with their marvel zombie,and no prize campaign.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me Marvel is so much harder to follow, while DC seems so much simpler.

Appzashok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Appzashok

Well, marvels is a little more hard to follow.

DBZ really??!

galactus1967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well whatever your opinion is,you almost have to admit.Marvel`s cosmic hierarchy blows away D.C,myxzel-rick.Give me a break,4th grade character.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fallingcliffs

@appzashok: Well, a few people over the past 10 years have claimed DBZ's multiverse is tough to follow but I also found out it was apparently fan written so not sure so much now.

@aros001: Exactly, this dude must be living in the past or just a Marvel fanboy seriously because we all know DC is million times more serious and darker than kiddy Marvel stories lol

@Galactus1961, With all due respect you're so wrong and off base I don't even know where to start, first of all no. As the other dude said maybe in the 40's, but then Marvel was also campy too at first. DC is made clearly for the older, mature audience so you got that backwards. I can think of literally Marvel's darkest characters on one hand, where as DC has A TON more than Marvel. 50 years ago both companies were cheesy, aimed more at casual or younger crowds. But past 30 years, clearly DC has been aimed at more mature, sophisticated readers that can handle darker elements. Marvel however has the "let's go after the kiddy poos/younger crowd and get the masses that way"

The stories now days especially and past 20 years DC has been made for more mature readers or readers that are past the kiddy crap that Marvel caters to.Even in the movies, I mean you have world invasions and have Hulk literally use Loki(a supposedly threatening and powerful God) in seconds flat, then hours later the Avengers finally defeat his little army and still he's just getting up from the Hulk beatdown? Great writing lol. pfftt and yes while the Wonder Twins are campy, Marvel has their own with umm Squirrel Girl? really? A teenage chick that controls rodents defeating "cosmic powered threats" is about as bad writing as anything ever written in comics. Not to mention other cheesy Marvel villains or characters over the years, and don't get me started on how many times Marvel has bit DC off with generic versions of already existing DC characters. Deadpool, Quicksilver, Sentry, Icon, Thanos list goes on lol...real original Marvel...please.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm gonna say marvel, before I started reading comics, I got my comic knowledge from the internet

reading up on dc can be complicated, reading up on just the x-men is nearly impossible

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are complex for the newer reader no doubt.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury said:

Both are easy to follow.

Not really, especially not to new fans

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

I don't get what's so confusing about the concept of the multiverse. It's only when you bring in things like the Monitors that it gets anywhere near confusing.

Look at it from the perspective of a new reader.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I'm talking about the concept in general. There's nothing confusing about the idea of multiple universes.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree: I'd have to disagree, in fiction it can be pretty confusing, especially if the concept is over used or way too detailed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@jake_fury said:

Both are easy to follow.

Not really, especially not to new fans

eh, if you can count you shouldn't have any problems.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury: Yes, counting and keeping track of multiple universes are right up the same alley.

Seido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seido

DC

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Transformers1024

DC. Especially after today's announcement.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Once invested, it's easy enough to follow both.

From a neutral standpoint, Marvel is just the "every decision creates a branching universe" theory, while DC's tend to be more rigid with set organisation, rules and hierarchy.

While any sci-fi fan could easily grasp the concept of Marvel's multiverse, DC requires a bit more investment with the monitors, speed force and the universal tiers (Apokolips, Heaven > Earth 1, Earth 33 etc) among other things.

DC also tends to involve their multiverse in more stuff. Post Crisis was heavily connected to Pre-Crisis, with the Legion of Superheroes, Powergirl, Superboy Prime and such. The New 52 convergence event appears to be doing something similar with the New 52. In Marvel the universes aren't really connected, they more so just "crossover" from time to time.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC but I voted Marvel. (mistake)

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fallingcliffs

@maccyd Unless you're Owlman in Crisis on Two Earths, I forget if he said such in the comics but in the movie he said "for every decision we make, some where else we've made the opposite" or something like that. Wouldn't that count as a branch off an opposite decision? Or do you mean something else entirely?

I enjoy multi-verse stories though in both all confusion aside, I love different versions of say Superman like Captain Carrot lol or say in Spiderman's case, Spider-Pig lol.

@transformers1024 said:

DC. Especially after today's announcement.

What announcement happened today? lol Been busy, catching up

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Neither are hard to follow.

There's one earth which we follow, then there is a few other earths where things happened differently.

Easy peezy. That's it. I don't understand what's so hard about it.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I personally think the marvel multiverse can be a little odd.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I've understood what the multiverse was since I was 11 and saw The One. DC's multiverse is why I'm a DC fan