Which MGS game has the best gameplay?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

*Spoilers for TPP ahead.

I've seen lots of verying opinions on this since the release of TPP; while a lot of people are in love with TPP's gameplay, others are disappointed with it because of it's repetitive and uninspired nature. Now, I'm only about 1/4 of the way through TPP but I've seen people talk about how the missions are all fetch quests and in the second half of the game you have to do them again on a higher difficulty. If that's true, then I'm disappointed in this game as well.

Most of the people with whom I've spoken with about the game have concluded that MGS4 and MGS3 both had superior gameplay and mechanics to TPP. What do you guys think?

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zaied

Obviously MGS V: TPP. The previous games are almost unplayable in comparison.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS1-3 all have clunky controls. It's not that bad though.

MGS1 and MGS2 have top-down or unmanipulable cameras, but I don't think they suffer from it.

MGS3 can be frustrating because the top-down camera is inadequate for many of the environments and situations. Subsistence edition apparently has a better camera (centered on the player's avatar, revolutions possible in three dimensions, probably what most are used to).

MGS4's controls and gameplay are big improvements in several respects. Peace Walker's are similar. They also have superior camera systems.

Haven't played the others.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The recent one of course.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has less to do with refined mechanics and more to do with varied/meaningful objectives and utilizing creative tactics to accomplish them, I think.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MGSV. The freedom it gives you in stealth missions is astounding. I didn't mind the fetch quests since they were pretty fun and a lot of factors went into play in stealth missions, making each one unique.

Avatar image for ninjawarrior268
NinjaWarrior268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

Is this a trick question? MGS5 obviously. I'm glad they got rid of the arcadic hud and stealth is always fun. That's why every game except Rising has been a stealth game

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjawarrior268:

Not a trick. A lot of people have a problem with the missions. In previous metal gear games, they argue, everything you did was in service to moving the plot forward. In TPP, you only do things because someone paid you to do them and every once in a while you do something revenge inspired. I've also seen people complain that Boss doesn't have enough movement options like in MGS4.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

This has less to do with refined mechanics and more to do with varied/meaningful objectives and utilizing creative tactics to accomplish them, I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by meaningful objectives. Opportunities for creativity increase as the franchise progresses, I think.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy:

Check out post #8 and tell me your thoughts

Jimmydean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jimmydean

MGS V has the best. MGS 2 has the worst

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MSG5 is the best. MSG2 AND 1 are the most frustrating..

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@ninjawarrior268:

Not a trick. A lot of people have a problem with the missions. In previous metal gear games, they argue, everything you did was in service to moving the plot forward. In TPP, you only do things because someone paid you to do them and every once in a while you do something revenge inspired. I've also seen people complain that Boss doesn't have enough movement options like in MGS4.

The player character's motivation is always money (Peace Walker) and/or a sense of patriotic responsibility (MGS1-3), except in MGS2 Tanker Chapter and MGS4, where Snake is part of Philanthropy, an international superweapon counter-proliferation paramilitary partnership with Otacon. It is very plot-driven, with every game revolving around preventing the "Metal Gear" mechas from falling into the wrong hands.

MGS4 had many movement options, so it's no surprise if TPP has scaled back a bit. As far as I can tell, Snake can still walk, run, crouch, and crawl, so it's pretty similar to the rest of the franchise.

I haven't played Revengeance, GZ, or TTP, so I can't really compare them well.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy:

I actually played a bit of MGS4 tonight, and I have to agree with the folks complaining. Though I love TPP so far, the movement options in MGS4 are really great and it's a shame Boss doesn't have them now.

Also, from what I've heard, there's no metal gear in TPP. Also, people have complained of very little plot.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I've played the demos for both Rising and Ground Zeros.....hate the controls for both.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering I have no interest at all in the MGS story, TPP is the only MGS game I would even bother playing...so yea

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

MGS:TPP has the most deep gameplay.

Took the best from all previous instalments (glad that the elements of PW didn't get overlooked in the creation of V)

Yeah, the missions might be repetitive but its the first time you get such a variety of playing.

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS:TPP has the most deep gameplay.

Took the best from all previous instalments (glad that the elements of PW didn't get overlooked in the creation of V)

Yeah, the missions might be repetitive but its the first time you get such a variety of playing.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: True, there were a lot of options in MGS4. In general what is the variety/choice like in TPP?

Shame about the plot in TPP, but MGS plot tends to be pretty bad anyway (I say this as an MGS fan). I don't really enjoy fighting metal gears either, so I doubt either of these things will prevent me from enjoying it.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy:

It's pretty standard. You can jog, sprint, crawl fast and slow, there's a very nice dive mechanic that allows you to get away from being discovered if timed properly, there's a rock climbing mechanic but it's use is seldom, you can't pat down guards anymore, you can't lay on your back...I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. MGSV feels more grounded in reality, which is nice, but at the expense of some movement options that I really enjoyed.

I've always enjoyed the plots in the MGS games so I feel kind of sour about TPP, but I guess I'll have to keep playing and learn for myself how it unfolds.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: One thing about MGSV that seems cool is vehicles. Lot more opportunities to use those, from horses to helicopters.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy:

I haven't used them much but I can see how some folks would make use of them....check that, on one mission I used a truck. You do have to be creative in TPP, that's for sure.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: That's good to hear. If I end up buying a PS4, I'll probably be scoping it out.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy:

Go for it. MGSV is absolutely worth every freaking penny. It's beautiful to look at and, above all else, it's a monstrously fun time. There are just elements from previous games I wish were here. For example, I was really hoping for survival elements to return like in mgs3 (hunting for food, having deadly animals all around, having a stress meter) and when I saw that those elements weren't here, it was mildly disappointing.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Out of the MGS games I've played (not counting MGS5), MGS3 had the best gameplay, in my opinion.