Which DCnU titles should I get???

Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Comicfan47

I am thinking of picking up some of these titles but I dont know how good they will be. So I decided to just make a forum post on your opinions to see how you think they will turn out. I am going to try to shorten my list soon because I still have Marvel comics to pick up as well, so name your top 5 from this list I should buy
- Blue Beetle 
- Red Hood 
- Flash 
- Swamp Thing 
- Batgirl 
- Green Lantern 
- Red Lanterns 
- Superman

PurpleArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PurpleArrow

All but Batgirl and Superman...but that's my opinion. Should i get Jonah Hex?

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Whisper_

Batgirl was really really good, IMO.  

Swamp Thing 
Batgirl 
Red Hood 
Superman 
Green Lantern 

What else did you have on your list for DCnU?

Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Comicfan47
@_Whisper_: That was my entire list, I was going to get Teen Titans but ill wait for the Trade....
Avatar image for mintberrycrunch
MintBerryCrunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MintBerryCrunch

Action Comics and Batgirl were the best this week so says Mint Berry CRUNCH.

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Whisper_
@Comicfan47: If at all able, I'd suggest picking up Animal Man as well. 
Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Comicfan47
@_Whisper_: I heard Animal Man was good, I didnt like the art to much in it though, but thats just because ive been reading alot of comics lately with Jim Lee as the artist.....
Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Whisper_
@Comicfan47: Jim Lee art = pure sex. He's one of my absolute favorites. I'm not normally a fan of the style in Animal Man, but it's really stark and fits the book and characters well, IMO. 
Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Comicfan47
@_Whisper_: Wasnt he a Vertigo character who was brought into the DCnU? My history on Animal Man is kinda stale, havnt looked him up in a long time.
Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Whisper_
@Comicfan47: That's correct. And the first issue definitely had that Vertigo hint of darkness to it. 
Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Comicfan47
@_Whisper_: I never read much of Vertigo, mainly stuck to DC and Marvel with a bit of IDW
Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Rixec

Get: 
-Blue Beetle 
- Red Hood 
- Flash
- Green Lantern 
- Superman

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cosmo111687

In this order: 

1. Swamp Thing
  2. Green Lantern
  3. Batgirl
  4. Flash
  5. Red Hood & The Outlaws
If you stick to those, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Comicfan47
@cosmo111687:  
Those were the main titles I was thinking of mainly getting..
cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cosmo111687

I have to second getting Animal Man, especially if you're interested in getting Swamp Thing. Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire, the writers on both of those books, are best friends and have plans on tying their stories, and their respective mythologies, together in the future. And I also have to agree with _Whisper_ about the art; it definitely fits the style and mood of the book and it's refreshing to see artwork that isn't a Jim Lee imitation (as excellent as Jim Lee may be).

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cosmo111687
@Comicfan47 said:

@cosmo111687:  Those were the main titles I was thinking of mainly getting..

Cool! I'm not a big Green Lantern fan, but I took a look at the previews for Green Lantern and it looks like it's going to be amazing. Not my thing, but I'm sure it'll be a 5-star book. Batgirl and Swamp Thing are getting amazing reviews. I don't know much about Flash or Red Hood & The Outlaws, but I can assure that the artwork will blow you away. So, yeah, all in all those are probably the best picks out of the ones you're considering. 

@PurpleArrow said:
All but Batgirl and Superman...but that's my opinion. Should i get Jonah Hex?
YES. Not only will it be worth your money, since each issue will be about one and a half as long as a typical monthly, but I hear, almost universally, that the artwork and writing is top-notch.
Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Comicfan47
@cosmo111687: I would but im on a pretty tight budget on comics at the moment. Green Lantern from the old universe was awesome, I loved it. Towards the end though it was kinda crap a little but, but thats just because of the whole Hal Jordan situation. Everyone is saying Batgirl is awesome and to pick it up, that it is out standing. Ive never read anything of her though. So I might pick it up if I keep hearing more good reviews. I read the preview it looked good. I picked up Green Arrow and that was just outstanding. Also do you know if Batwoman will be good?
chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By chalkshark

Of the books listed, I'm only picking up Batgirl, Green Lantern & Red Lanterns. It's kind of hard to recommend the books to you, as many of them have yet to be released. I picked up Batgirl out of curiosity. I'll be buying the Lantern books solely for the art. I'm surprised Justice League isn't among your possible titles, as you strongly hinted at an admiration for Jim Lee's artwork. You can add my voice to the ones recommending Animal Man to you. I didn't take to the art at all, but it's a very good story. For the record, Animal Man started off in the DC Universe proper. He was introduced, in 1965, in a title called Strange Adventures. After two appearances, he languished in obscurity before being revived by Grant Morrison in the post-Crisis Dc Universe. While Animal Man is generally remembered as being a Vertigo title, it did not become so until it's 57th issue, during Jamie Delano's run as writer of the series. As soon as Delano took over the writing chores, with issue #51, Animal Man did start carrying a "Mature Readers" label. During Morrison's run on the title, Animal Man was also appearing in Justice League Europe, being one of it's founding members. Animal Man came to it's conclusion in 1995. After that, the character made sporadic guest appearances in various DC titles, like Aquaman & Justice League, before gaining some prominence in DC's 52 mini series.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cosmo111687
@Comicfan47: I love the idea of Sinestro as the lead in Green Lantern and I think that concept will breath new life into the franchise.  I haven't read Batgirl yet, but I hear that it's very good as well. (Diamond screwed up their order at my LCS, and so I have to wait until tomorrow.) However, if you're not certain about her just yet, then I'd wait on it. There's no rush to pick up Batgirl because I have no doubt it'll be a success and when you have more money, you can always go back to it. For the time being, since you only have 5 choices, I'd choose thing you know you'd like and that have stories and creative teams that tie back into one-another.  

If you loved Green Arrow, then maybe you should try for Captain Atom (instead of Swamp Thing), since they're both J. T. Krul (who happens to be one of my favourite writers), and it'll also tie back into Flash eventually. So those would be three very cohesive issues that you'll probably enjoy. And then if you're interested in giving Green Lantern a chance, I'd get both Green Lantern and Red Lanterns since they'll have stories that'll tie back into one another. 

As for Batwoman - I LOVE Batwoman and J. H. William III's artwork is worth the price alone, in my opinion. I'd recommend that book to anyone and I have no doubt that by the end of September, it'll be one of the top 20, if not top 10, best reviewed books from the relaunch.
Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Comicfan47
@chalkshark: So how much does Animal Man tie into Swamp Thing. Also will the Art in Swamp Thing be the same?
cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cosmo111687
@Comicfan47: Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire have both stated that there won't be a tie in the first story-arc, but they definitely have plans in the future and we don't know much more than it'll tie back to the concept of them as the protectors of Plants and Animals. And the art styles are pretty different. Swamp Thing is a lot more realistic.
Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Comicfan47
@cosmo111687: Captain Atom does look interesting I will say. I agree J.T. Krul is one of my favorite writers too! People always thrash on his last Green Arrow run, I personally liked it a lot!. Green and Red Lanterns will no doubt be amazing and I think I will enjoy those 2 books a lot. If I had to choose the 2 books I think I would pick Green Lantern due to I am a bigger fan of his and after his Blackest Night he was awesome. Im hoping that the Flash is good since he has his old memories still which will make the book even more exciting and fun to read. There are so many  books I want to get but dont have enough money for. 
cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cosmo111687
@Comicfan47: Cool! You feel like you're pretty decided then? :) Any more questions? 

And yeah, right!? I'm limiting myself to 10, but there are least 5 others that are a hair away from making that list. If only I had the money!
chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By chalkshark
@Comicfan47: I was unaware of any plans to connect Animal Man to Swamp Thing, until I started reading the comments in this thread. Makes a certain amount of sense, I suppose. Both were DC characters that were absorbed into the Vertigo imprint. Animal Man's "Red" was clearly inspired by Swamp Thing's "Green".  The art in Swamp Thing I expect is quite different from Animal Man's. Like I said, I didn't warm to the artist doing Animal Man. Swamp Thing actually features an artist I like a great deal. I'm not picking up Swamp Thing, though, as I strongly disagree with the changes they've made to the character, & would rather not read about them.
DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By DoomDoomDoom
@chalkshark said:
@Comicfan47: I was unaware of any plans to connect Animal Man to Swamp Thing, until I started reading the comments in this thread. Makes a certain amount of sense, I suppose. Both were DC characters that were absorbed into the Vertigo imprint. Animal Man's "Red" was clearly inspired by Swamp Thing's "Green".  The art in Swamp Thing I expect is quite different from Animal Man's. Like I said, I didn't warm to the artist doing Animal Man. Swamp Thing actually features an artist I like a great deal. I'm not picking up Swamp Thing, though, as I strongly disagree with the changes they've made to the character, & would rather not read about them.
I just finished both Animal Man and Swamp Thing and while reading the last bit of Animal Man I could see some connection between the green and red. I was impressed with both titles and I especially liked the art Animal Man.
WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By WW-Fan

Wonder Woman is said to be the best solo book :) that will be out in september

Comicfan47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers