Which country currently has the more powerful military?

• 136 results
Pr_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Pr_Beyonder
@Edamame said:
" @Pr_Beyonder: Imagine if the European Union develops a unified army. "

Imagine if the entire planet forms an army. 
They'd be the most powerful army on the planet.
Pr_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Pr_Beyonder
@Edamame:
What's PINGAS?
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By capall

i would think russia still has a slight edge but it won't be long untill china eventually closes the gap
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By capall
@Edamame said:
" @capall said:
" i would think russia still has a slight edge but it won't be long untill china eventually closes the gap "
Yeah. Especially since China is only second to the US in terms of military spending. By the way, how does the Canadian military compare to Australia's? Powerful? "

i had no idea china had that big of a spending on their military, we've got some high skilled and tech up here but we do truly lack the manpower and i would think australia is pretty much in the same playing field if not just under by an inch or so
capall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By capall
@Edamame:
i have no clue about the swedish military but wouldn't underestimate anyone regardless
TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TheSheepHerder
@Edamame said:
" Doesn't China get much of its military technology and weapons from Russia? I don't know. It is hard to compare. Russia, I am sure, is trying to keep its military advanced as well. Good points were mentioned here, though. "
Yup, they do. They got (In the Air Force) Su-27s and Su-30s but IMO that won't match up to a whole arsenal of Fighting Falcons, Strike Eagles and Hornets. The PLAAF needs to upgrade its Air Force if it wants to compete with the USAF and others. I don't know about their land forces though, but it is probably as formidable as the U.S.

To answer your question, the U.S is possibly the most powerful, Russia is right behind and China would be in third place.
RoosterCogburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RoosterCogburn

America

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TheSheepHerder

" @TheSheepHerder said:

" @Edamame said:
" Doesn't China get much of its military technology and weapons from Russia? I don't know. It is hard to compare. Russia, I am sure, is trying to keep its military advanced as well. Good points were mentioned here, though. "
Yup, they do. They got (In the Air Force) Su-27s and Su-30s but IMO that won't match up to a whole arsenal of Fighting Falcons, Strike Eagles and Hornets. The PLAAF needs to upgrade its Air Force if it wants to compete with the USAF and others. I don't know about their land forces though, but it is probably as formidable as the U.S. To answer your question, the U.S is possibly the most powerful, Russia is right behind and China would be in third place. "
The Chinese air force is mostly composed of MIGs, right? I never heard of "Su" planes. May I ask what they are? Does it stand for "Soviet Union"? China has a very large army.  I think that the Chinese army consists of four million soldiers in total, while the Russian army consists of twenty-one million soldiers.  Are those statistics correct? I think that it is hard to say whether or not Russian military technology is superior to Chinese military technology.  "

The 'Su' stands for Sukhoi, one of the major aircraft developers for Russia (And the Soviet Union). The Su-27 and MiG-25 and 29 were designed so the USSR can have fighters that could match up to 4th Gen. U.S ones like the aforementioned F-15, F-16 and F-18. But even if their tech can match the U.S, the training and experience of the pilots is what I'm worried about. @Edamame said: 
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By Primmaster64
@Edamame: Hey baby how are you? lol!
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Primmaster64
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Primmaster64
@Edamame: lol * hugs*
Waffle Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Waffle Fries

Russia would win in a war against China. Don't just look at sheer numbers. The US invaded Iraq, which was one of the largest militarys in the world at the time, and overpowered them within a week.

Russia controls a vast majority of the natural gas and energy that flows into Europe. That was one of the major reasons for the Georgia conflict, the UN planned on building a gas pipeline so as to avoid dealing with Russia. China starves for natural resources. You can have 50 billion tanks, but if you don't have enough oil for all of them they are useless.

Here's a fun fact, just look at bomber planes. Add all of the world's bomber planes in the world except for the US's. China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, ect. Then multiply that by ten and then maybe you will come close to the number the US has.

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz
@Edamame said:
" @Waffle Fries said:
" Russia would win in a war against China. Don't just look at sheer numbers. The US invaded Iraq, which was one of the largest militarys in the world at the time, and overpowered them within a week.   Russia controls a vast majority of the natural gas and energy that flows into Europe. That was one of the major reasons for the Georgia conflict, the UN planned on building a gas pipeline so as to avoid dealing with Russia. China starves for natural resources. You can have 50 billion tanks, but if you don't have enough oil for all of them they are useless.  Here's a fun fact, just look at bomber planes. Add all of the world's bomber planes in the world except for the US's. China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, ect. Then multiply that by ten and then maybe you will come close to the number the US has. "
Well, military technology often comes into play. I question whether or not China's military technology is superior to Russia's. I mean, China has been buying military technology, weapons and etc. from Russia, right? However, China now has the second largest economy in the world, with the second highest military spending budget, right behind the U.S. Therefore, I can't ascertain the truth here.     Numbers do count sometimes. In World War II, Germany's military technology was superior to Russia's, yet they failed to get past Stalingrad. However, the cold may have been the reason, but still. Russia had more soldiers to spare than Germany did.  "

It's been said that the Winter in Russia is what stopped the Germans and gave the Russians the advantage they needed to fight back. Just like when Napoleon invaded.
Waffle Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Waffle Fries
@Edamame said:
" @Waffle Fries said:
" Russia would win in a war against China. Don't just look at sheer numbers. The US invaded Iraq, which was one of the largest militarys in the world at the time, and overpowered them within a week.   Russia controls a vast majority of the natural gas and energy that flows into Europe. That was one of the major reasons for the Georgia conflict, the UN planned on building a gas pipeline so as to avoid dealing with Russia. China starves for natural resources. You can have 50 billion tanks, but if you don't have enough oil for all of them they are useless.  Here's a fun fact, just look at bomber planes. Add all of the world's bomber planes in the world except for the US's. China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, ect. Then multiply that by ten and then maybe you will come close to the number the US has. "
Well, military technology often comes into play. I question whether or not China's military technology is superior to Russia's. I mean, China has been buying military technology, weapons and etc. from Russia, right? However, China now has the second largest economy in the world, with the second highest military spending budget, right behind the U.S. Therefore, I can't ascertain the truth here.     Numbers do count sometimes. In World War II, Germany's military technology was superior to Russia's, yet they failed to get past Stalingrad. However, the cold may have been the reason, but still. Russia had more soldiers to spare than Germany did.  "
Technology and resources are the major factor. China starves for resources. In the next 20 years China will need a second planet earth just to have enough concrete to support it's infrastructure, let alone oil and steel.

A strong economy is important, no doubt, but a lot of times people throw in how much we borrow from China as a way to say how powerful China is. All those billions/trillions of dollars we borrow, in the end, are just imaginary numbers. In the end, what you can actually see and use is going to be more important. America is the most naturally rich country in the world. Nobody can touch the natural resources we have here. We barely touch our oil reserves. We don't need Saudi Arabia or the middle east. It's just something we tap into for our large corporations to make more money, supply and demand, ect.

China has a large militlary, but how are they going to transport them? You need the resources to do so. It's one thing to have them march down a street in a fancy formation, it's another to transport them halfway across the world and support them with the equipment they need to fight extended campaigns. Invading China would be difficult, but when it comes down to two super powers, a battle of attrition wins the day. No nation on this planet has ever won a battle of attrition against the Russian's, ever. Russia on the other hand has LOTS of natural resources. They control something like 40% of the natural resources that flow into Europe. They learned from the Cold War. No country can compete with the military output of the US. Instead of hording missiles, tanks, and planes Russia is slowly taking over energy. It's a smart move and it's the only way they can compete with us.
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Uh, isn't it obvious?

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#76  Edited By Roxanne Starr
@RoosterCogburn said:
"America"

LOL! 

Funny that we were not even given that option on this thread.
Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#78  Edited By Roxanne Starr
@Edamame: 

Actually, if it came down to it and we went to war with China, it is not inconceivable that China would win. 

The American military is so screwed up with non-military issues at the moment, that I have no idea what a lot of US servicemen are doing in the military anyway. I'd guess that about 90% of them are only there to get a high-tech education, and really don't give a damn about the future of this country.
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Roxanne Starr: Yeah, ground infantry is meant to be half retarded. The only reason why they're so popular now is because we're actually using them for infiltration and search missions. If we actually went to war, we would send our massive battle cruisers to shore and just blast whatever country is giving us trouble afar. A "real" war would end so much quicker because we wouldn't waste time sending out the Army (and other ground forces) to comb the area.
DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By DEGRAAF

(As of 2009) (Active, Reserve, Paramilitary)
China - 3,455,000 
India - 4,768,407 
Iran - 2,383,000 
North Korea - 9,495,000  
Russia - 21,476,000 
South Korea - 8,691,500 
United States - 2,455,837 
Vietnam - 5,495,000     

from these numbers it tells us two things.  
1.) Russia has a much much larger military. 
2.) Size of the military doesnt mean the the largest it the most powerful 

The US has the second smallest number shown above but we are the superior power (for now...) 
DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By DEGRAAF

this is a long article (at least 7 pages) but so far i have read the first 2 and its very interesting. It mainly compares China's military to the United states military. So far a good read.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#84  Edited By Magian

Most powerful military? Probably Russia although China is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#86  Edited By Magian
@Edamame said:
" @ComicMan24 said:
" Most powerful military? Probably Russia although China is definitely a force to be reckoned with. "
I'm having major difficulties determining which of the two has the superior military technology/weapons. The numbers (number of soldiers, etc.) are made quite clear, though. "
China definitely has greater numbers due to larger population. Technologically I will give this to Russia although I believe that China is catching up really quick.
DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DEGRAAF
Avatar image for marvelvsdcuniverse
MarvelvsDCuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually China is now militarily and economically more powerful than Russia. But United States is still the most powerful militarily and economically.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a93651393625
deactivated-5a93651393625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

North Korea! Kim is an unstoppable one man army.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame said:

Other thoughts?

US is the most powerfull ofc and im thinking its about raw military combat power. Because many things can be considered as military power such as economy domination, media and stuff like that. Now military obvs US is the most powerfull in terms of battle combat. Russia second place but Russia has stronger nuclear potential and missiles. So it really doesnt matter who has either of those countries could destroy each other and doesnt matter who invades who defends, which ever country invades its surely end of the modern era and step into new stone age. So it doesnt really matter who is more powerfull those countries are so powerfull that it doesnt really matter who is a bit superior than the other.

China is pretty close aswell

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easter island

Avatar image for deactivated-5b466be4b5981
deactivated-5b466be4b5981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easter island

That's not Canada, you're an impostor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There are many factors to be considered.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icedemonzero said:

Easter island

That's not Canada, you're an impostor.

Canada's #2. Have you seen Easter island's military? It's lit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a93651393625
deactivated-5a93651393625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers