• 80 results
Posted by Saint_Wildcard (11436 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Which actor does Lex Luthor deserve and we Worlds Finest need? (52 votes)

Bryan Cranston 69%
Mark Strong 12%
Someone else (name him below) 17%

Now that we got Batfleck, even though the plot for the sequel is unknown everyone wants to know who is Luthor. Now these two choices not only make sense but both would do him justice.

Cranston (my heart)- Although old I think he would be the best choice, after all the back lash with all this whining about Ben being cast as Batman, Worlds Finest needs an actor to bring in intress again and calm the fans. I think someone who went from boring teacher to bad ass king pin would make a great Luthor, plus if Mel Gibson can get in shape at 57, so can Cranston (besides its not like Lex is going to be doing alot of fighting).

Mark Strong (my brain)- I think Mark is the smarter safer choice (with enfisase on the safe part). He's played multiple villains and is handsome (no homo) and young enough to do some action, problem is he's not a very interesting choice, I dont think alot of people would be surprised cus of his tendency to do bad guys. Im sure he'd do a good job maybe even as good as Cranston (but lets not get crazy). If they cast him it wouldnt bother me but I just dont think it can help the movie, but it wont hurt it.

Im curious if there is anyone else you think should do it, I just put these two cus they are the ones the people want. As for how Worlds Finest might be with Ben and Bryan added to the cast, check out this trailer from the future

#1 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18448 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm actually hope they'll use Mark Strong again as Sinestro, even if they decide to reboot the GL (which I think they will) or otherwise ignore the movie. He was fantastic in that role. And really any villian role as you put it. The dude is just awesome.

Anyway...I want Michael C Hall as LL. And I know a lot of people will rage about the fact that he's not bald (and probably would look silly shaving his head) but honestly I don't really care if Lex is bald or not. Its not essential to the character that he be bald and whether he has hair or not, is irrelevant.

Another choice would be Idris Elba. Great actor and I think he has the certain kind of on-screen presence needed to play LL. Again people might not like it because its not sticking to the classics character, but again I will say, looks (race in this case) is irrelevant. As long as the motivations are present that make up the core of the character, how he looks is irrelevant - IMO.

#2 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (11436 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#3 Posted by JetiiMitra (8718 posts) - - Show Bio

Kevin Spacey.

#4 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

And I know a lot of people will rage about the fact that he's not bald (and probably would look silly shaving his head) but honestly I don't really care if Lex is bald or not. Its not essential to the character that he be bald and whether he has hair or not, is irrelevant.

LOL no offense, but this is kinda stupid. Really no offense, but since when is a character's trademark appearance IRRELEVANT?

Is it okay for a fat guy wearing spandex to play Batman? It's NOT ESSENTIAL TO THE CHARACTER is it??

#5 Posted by Pyrogram (40983 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1237 posts) - - Show Bio

I need Bryan Cranston as Lexi. He's absolutely perfect for the role.

#7 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Posted by Mezmero (959 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Clancy Brown should just shave his head and go for it.

#9 Edited by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh...that fan trailer in the OP is so amazing.

Oh, and Cranston. I hope Strong can still be Sinestro

#10 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (11436 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare: @theocitylegend:

Some people say he should be Gordon, which do you think is a more important role, especially considering I think Lex might get at least 3 appearances if not 4 (Worlds Finest, MoS3 and 2 JL movies)

#11 Posted by dbatdog (548 posts) - - Show Bio

@theocitylegend said:

deja vu...i read this one when Ryan Reynolds was cast as Green Lantern

#12 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@hero92 said:

@peppeyhare: @theocitylegend:

Some people say he should be Gordon, which do you think is a more important role, especially considering I think Lex might get at least 3 appearances if not 4 (Worlds Finest, MoS3 and 2 JL movies)

I'd much rather have him for Luthor

#13 Posted by noj (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash: Wow holy shit. That scene just cemented the idea of Cranston as Lex Luthor in my head. That is a PERFECT Lex Luthor moment and something I could actually imagine Luthor saying. Ive heard how great Cranston is in Breaking Bad but having seen only the first season I imagined him more as a Jim Gordan. That was just plain amazing though.

@fallschirmjager Michael C Hall was also my first choice but it looks like its in good hands with Cranston.

#14 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: yeah that scene is amazing. I actually never gotten around to watch Breaking Bad but I saw this scene online. I can't wait to see him as Luthor

#15 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18448 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Not having hair on Lex =/= having a 500 pound Batman.

Don't be an idiot. Batman is a crime fighter and HAS to be in physical shape to fight. Lex having hair or not has 0 impact on the character.

Try again.

#16 Posted by RDClip (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Never seen Breaking Bad and I've only seen Bryan Cranson in pretty comedic roles. Has he ever played a genius villian before?

I like Mark Strong as Lex, he certainly looks the part, has played many great villians in his career and I think he can play Nietzchean, geniu,s supervillian business mogul quite well.

#17 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1834 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Strong is also a good choice but Cranston has got this under control.

#18 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (11436 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip: Please tell me you're trolling/joking. I dont know if he's had other roles but if he has Im 100% sure that none can compare. The dude won 3 emmies for that role. He went from bland to a genius who thinks of ways to use his brain to make meth, poison, explosives and using acid to get rid of bodies. He is always playing a chess match in his head against someone, his DEA brother in law was about to turn him in but he frames him for what he's done so he cant rat him out. I know its a spoiler but theres a reason why the internet wants him as Lexy.

#19 Edited by RDClip (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

@hero92: Like I said, I never watched Breaking Bad. My experience with Bryan Cranson has been seeing him in sitcoms. If someone can point me to a film where he played a Lex-like character, it would be helpful.

#20 Posted by Bombardier_Beetle (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Hasn't Cranston already been confirmed?

#21 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (11436 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by judasnixon (6683 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

@hero92: Like I said, I never watched Breaking Bad. My experience with Bryan Cranson has been seeing him in sitcoms. If someone can point me to a film where he played a Lex-like character, it would be helpful.

Breaking Bad....... Walter White is sooooooooo F-ing evil. At first he seems like an OK guy, but some where in the series you are like oh my god he is a mass murdering psycho......

#23 Edited by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Lex having hair or not has 0 impact on the character.

Try again.

...except Lex being bald is f***ing PART OF LEX'S CHARACTER. Visual portrayal is HELLA essential to a character (just as much as body type and personality), which you completely FAIL to understand.

I suppose you wouldn't mind if this guy plays Batman then.

or this guy.

Does it impact his character? Hm? DOES IT??

#24 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18448 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Your examples are laughable at best, keep trying. You're bringing up things like a 500 pound batman or a guy with a foot long beard. (For the record, if they cast a Black actor to be Batman, its perfectly fine if that's what you're getting at)

What I'm talking about is a minor physical change that has ZERO impact on his character. Lex isn't motivated because he has no hair. He would be the same exact dude if he had hair all of a sudden.

If Batman lost hair hair does it matter? No. If Wonder Women cut her hair to short instead of long, does it change who she is? Nope. Does it matter if a characters eyes are a different color? Nope.

Henry Cavil is only 6'1. Superman is suppose to be 6'4 or 6'5. Does that matter? Wolverine is suppose to be 5'3. Hugh Jackman is 6'2. Does it change the fact that Jackman is awesome as Wolverine? Nope. Lois had red hair instead of brunette in MoS, did her hair color have anything to do with her character? Nothing.

I could keep going if you want.

Being bald or not does not matter. I would rather have someone who can characterize Lex well and has hair, then someone who can't and is bald. Anyone who would prefer the latter is stupid. (Not saying Cranston or Strong can't, just using it as an example)

#25 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

For the record, if they cast a Black actor to be Batman, its perfectly fine

Okay, I'm done. You just said it'd be fine if they cast a Black actor to be Batman. You obviously only care about one dimension of a character, rather than the entire character as a whole. You're clueless >.<

I've made my point so bye.

#26 Posted by Samimista (20833 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. Really hope Bryan Cranston will play him.

#27 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11477 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncle Si.

Is just me or this casting Thread are getting out of hand.

Also i just hope they decide not to use Bryan Cranston, i mean it would be pretty much him being his Bracking Bad character all over again, i mean he need to stop being type casted.

#28 Posted by russellmania77 (15680 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Evans or Ryan Reynolds since we keep using ex sup actors

#29 Posted by SoA (4946 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't see cranston doing a good job as lex(suck it breaking bad fans !!!)

personally i liked michael rosenbaum and would like him to resume the role. but a part of me feels like their needs to be new blood so idk lol

#30 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (11436 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000:

Micheal Cera is typecast, Jack Black is typecast. Bryan Cranston few las major tv roles were the dentist from Seinfeld and the dad on Malcom in the Middle. The last villains he's ever played was a few voices on Power Rangers, he is far from being a type cast star. And I dont see how him playing Lex as Walter is a bad thing, its totally wrong to assume it but not bad. He will play him as a charming business man, who under all that is a manipulating super genius with a hatred/envy or Superman.

#31 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoever it is....he better have Metallo or Parasite backing him up.

#32 Posted by judasnixon (6683 posts) - - Show Bio

Breaking Bad is the how to make a super villain show..... It's almost to easy to cast him as Lex...... But I still want him as Lex.....

#33 Posted by JetiiMitra (8718 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see Cranstan working well.

#35 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@rdclip said:

Just go watch Breaking Bad. It sounds like you kind of solved your own problem.

@fallschirmjager said:

For the record, if they cast a Black actor to be Batman, its perfectly fine

Okay, I'm done. You just said it'd be fine if they cast a Black actor to be Batman. You obviously only care about one dimension of a character, rather than the entire character as a whole. You're clueless >.<

I've made my point so bye.

Fallschirmjager is right. Those two pictures are way overboard. Casting someone of a different color skin for a movie doesn't matter. Batman isn't Batman because he's black, he's Batman because he's Batman. Just like in Daredevil, Michael Clarke Duncan was a perfect Kingpin, despite Kingpin being white and he black. Kingpin's character isn't about race, so it didn't matter. Caring about changing a character's race for film adaptation really just does amount to racism, whether or not they want to admit it.

#36 Edited by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: HAHAHAHAHA

• HA.................HA...................HAHAHA
  • HAHA............HA..............HA................HA
  • HA....HA........HA............HA....................HA
  • HA........HA....HA............HA....................HA
  • HA............HAHA..............HA................HA
  • HA.................HA...................HAHAHA

If Batman isn't black, don't cast a black person. IT'S NOT RACISM, IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE, IT'S SIMPLE AS HELL.

Sincerely,

#37 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Batman also has blue eyes. Christian Bale does not. That did not affect how well Christian Bale portrayed the character because Batman's character isn't defined by his eye color. The same is true for race, Batman isn't defined by skin color. A 500 pound Batman, however, is completely different. Batman's character has a lot to do with the fact that he is very muscular, and not 500 pounds. That would affect the character. Race would not.

You might not mean to be racist, but it is. Unless you want to say only blue-eyed black-haired square-jawed men should be allowed to play Batman, you are making race an issue above those three. While all four are equally irrelevant to the character, you only choose to care about race. That, by definition, is racist. Sorry, you lose.

#38 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: You are so funny. You think minor differences in eye-color and a jawline is equivalent to a majorly different skin color? Batman's jaw-shape can vary in the comics, depending on the artist. Does his skin color ever vary? NO. NO IT DOESN'T.

I lose? What game are we playing?

#39 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokergeist: Explaining anything to racists is always somewhat hard, but impossible when they won't even admit they're racist.

#40 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: HAHAHA people like you have no idea what racism means. A racist person believes that white skin is superior to black skin. I'm not racist for simply wanting a white character (Batman) to be white in a movie. I'm not racist for wanting a black character (cyborg) to be black in a movie. I believe both races to be equal, but I'd prefer the races to match their respective characters.

You have no f ing clue what you're talking about. Don't judge someone when you yourself don't understand what you're judging them for.

#41 Edited by Deranged Midget (17723 posts) - - Show Bio

I could go for either in the role but I feel that Cranston would rock Gordon better. I feel like we need a younger Luthor.

#42 Posted by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want Michael Rosenbaum back as Lex, I dont care if mentally handicapped gets confused its really not that confusing.

#43 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh...that fan trailer in the OP is so amazing.

Oh, and Cranston. I hope Strong can still be Sinestro

This. Cranston can pull it off.

#44 Edited by Black_Claw (3010 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Cranston could make a good Lex, though I always thought Clancy Brown should play him since he has roughly a decades worth of experience playing the character and he is pretty good as a live action actor.

#45 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

hopefully this thread stays on track.

Anyway, I prefer Mark Strong. Cranston is just way to old to be the charming, persuasive, handsome , and devious billionaire with the guts to fight superman in combat. I can't see Cranston being that guy.

#46 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (11436 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines: Lex fights Superman in his battle suit, not in hand to hand combat. And Lex doesnt like to get his hands dirty he would use pawns and pieces to do his dirty work while with all tracks covered he enjoys the view.

#47 Posted by Saren (25903 posts) - - Show Bio

Cranston is the only valid choice.

#48 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

Michael Jay White is the only valid choice.

agreed

#49 Posted by Saren (25903 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

Cranston is the only valid choice.

agreed, I wish he would play Hulk but i guess i'll have to live with Ruffalo

confused

Okay....

#50 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio