When is too much...not a good thing (may contain spoilers...)

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Edited By Final Arrow

So first of!!! Hi and welcome to my blog.

Right now that I have been pleasant to you all lets crack on...( I have to be nice...I am not a fan of this)

Movie T.V. Spots and trailers: Are these a good thing?

Of course I hear some of you scream…well not scream as you can’t over the internet but for the sake of this blog let’s just say you did and move on (good). Well I agree a good trailer maybe even two is great for teasing the crowd and getting them ready for the upcoming film. Let’s take Captain America as an example; we are after all on a comic book website so I am going to roll with it. How many of us got excited over the first trailer, I for one did when I so Dum Dum on screen and was like “Damn this may actually be good.” So then the 2 trailer comes out and OMG the cosmic cube. So by now we have almost all seen the trailers right?

No!!! Then good for you…get off this site!!

Shield
Shield

Anyway now we move on to TV spots where we see a group of people discovering Cap in an ice block, we see the comsic cube in action and I start to wonder, is an over two mins Trailer too much and that added with the TV spot has it actually taken away from the film? Did they need to show us Howard Stark, Dum Dum and the cosmic cube. Or could they have just left those nice little tid bits out so we get the shock in the cinema and think while we are watching it “Damn they actually added that in good on them” instead of us now all knowing to expect this! Does this take away from the thrill of discovering this at the movie! Will it take away knowing about all this beforehand losing the shock value?

They could have easily made the trailers still appealing without having to add those small parts. Hell have the bits with his change the training field and throwing the shield! But keep out the little bits for more of a punch at the cinema! I have seen a lot of films do this recently and I can’t help but wonder do they think this is a good idea? Captain America was always going to pull people in to the cinema, was there a need to give so much away? I personally think that this over sharing is getting a bit to much and we may end up going down the route of dare I say it...G.I JOE…Gasp shock horror!!! Where the movie sucked…It did stop deluding yourself…you know who you are! The lead up to it was covered in Ads tv spots trailer after trailer and where I hope (know) Captain America won’t suck (okay it might..but not as hard as Joe) I can’t help but feel the weight of an overbearing press campaign with to much info flooding the world. So is to much a good thing..in this case no!

What do you guys think?

Also Stay classy Comic Vine

cause your Awesome
cause your Awesome
Avatar image for curbsideprophet
CurbsideProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CurbsideProphet
I agree. But at least they didn't show us the Stan Lee cameo. That would ruin the entire movie.  Also, I like the part where the guy said "He's still skinny."
Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By hydrabob--defunct
@Final Arrow said:
No!!! Then good for you…get off this site!!
*walks away*
Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@Final Arrow: You know my theory babe, if they show you too much then it tends to be a vision of a sh*t film.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

IF THE ADS FEATURE BACON THEN I WANT THEM TO BE EVEN LONGER. 

BB

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By cyberninja

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Well there's always the option to not watch the trailers.

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Final Arrow

@fesak said:

Silence with your logic...I SAY SILENCE

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By SpidermanWins
@fesak said:
Or just one and to be satisfied not watching the millions of other clips that basically are the whole movie in pieces (X-Men First Class)
SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpidermanWins
@Final Arrow said:

cause your Awesome
cause your Awesome
yeah we are!
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Final Arrow

I just wan't to point out the idea of a trailer is to try and get the viewers to watch the film! I love watching a good trailer, but sometimes you get to much info and it gets to the stage where whats the point of seeing the movie as all the shock value has been taken away.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Aiden Cross

Heh, you should watch the Batman & Robin trailer on Youtube (yes i know, horrible movie, bat nipples, bat creditcard :P) but that trailer tells the ENTIRE movie. You simply don't need to watch it anymore.
SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpidermanWins
@cyberninja said:

Trailer: An unpowered vehicle towed by another, in particular. I think there is more truth to that then some movie producers are willing to admit.
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Final Arrow

@hydrabob: and stay out

Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Raven0207
@Final Arrow

I completely agree with this. what ever happened to the days where we saw 1 trailer for a movie and that trailer had to tease you enough to make you want to see the movie. Movie Trailers today don't hold the attention of the entire audience cause they know 2 weeks later there will be another coming out. Who out there can honestly say there has been one trailer this year (the 1st trailer) that just blew you away to the point that you were like " I have to see this". I'm not looking it up to find out but I can't remember one off the top of my head. There is always the teaser trailer, then the full trailer that jumps around everywhere and you lose what they are trying to get across, and then the next 5 trailers that tell you the rest of the movie where you are only missing maybe 5 minutes of the movie when you get there.  I remember the days I used to go to the movies and one of my favorite parts was seeing the kick butt trailers before the movie starts, but now i pretty much don't have a problem coming into a movie 15 minutes after the start time and miss all the trailers. 

I know movie companies are trying to reach a larger fan base but like Mistress Redhead said if movie companies give as much as information as they are trying "to me" sell a crappy movie. Captain America is hopefully a exception but I truly wished they would have stoped showing new scences after the first full trailer. I want my surprises, my easter eggs and everything I want to see when I see the movie. The Howling Comandoes didn't need to be shown, the cosmic cube didn't, Cap in ice, and I really wanted the surprise of seeign the Red Skull in the theater. they use all of this money to promote the movies but to me if they would spend less on extra trailers, tv spots and teasers they would draw more interest cause everyone is going to wonder what is going to happen. Who saw the trailer for Catfish and didn't want to see that movie. That movie was terrorable but still the trailer grabbed the attention of the audience and made them want to see it. Thats what a trailer needs to do. Forget all the teasers and TV spots. They tell us too much. 
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#15  Edited By Dracade102
@Aiden Cross said:
Heh, you should watch the Batman & Robin trailer on Youtube (yes i know, horrible movie, bat nipples, bat creditcard :P) but that trailer tells the ENTIRE movie. You simply don't need to watch it anymore.
Reminds me of the Batman (1966) movie trailer... They explain the ENTIRE PLOT out in it!!! 

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Magian

Well I would like to say that I am not interested in watching Captain America but I do agree that sometimes trailers do show too much. And even though I think that MR has a point about the movie probably not being good, I would like to stay positive and say that there are more awesome things in the movie that people still don't know of.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Final Arrow
Being in the trailer industry, I've learned its an arduous process when figuring out what to reveal in which trailers/teasers. Personally I think they are all very necessary...otherwise I wouldn't have a job :o
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Final Arrow

@texasdeathmatch: What I was saying is not that trailers are not necessary, I just think that often things that should be kept out are often thrown in for no need. I mean do you think that a film like captain america needed to reveal, the cosmic cube. the howling commando's. I understand Cap in Ice as well that's a key thing in his story. But I think there is enough that could have been shown with some clever editing without showing some of the more bigger things.

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Final Arrow: I know what you mean. Its really up to the studio what gets revealed in their trailers, and what they think is best for viewers. And obviously studios don't always make the best decisions :P.
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Final Arrow

@texasdeathmatch: Like making Green Lantern 2...Ohhhhhh yeah i wen't there XD

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Final Arrow: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH haha. 

But yeah, that's a perfect example.
Amazingoctus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Amazingoctus
@Billy Batson said:

IF THE ADS FEATURE BACON THEN I WANT THEM TO BE EVEN LONGER. 

BB

I shame this. BOO!!!!
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Final Arrow

@Amazingoctus: Don't deny the greatness of a Bacon Ad....

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CATPANEXE

I'm sure it was already said, but the Cube was already shown prior in Thor. The usual lead in to Marvels next film.
Marvel movie wise spoilers don't upset me personally. I wouldn't be watching trailers in the first place, much
less be online and on CV if I didn't enjoy them. Though I can somewhat relate to your dilemma. I've sometimes
been able to figure the plot of the movie before seeing it just by snips in the trailer, and it upset the chances that
I would have seen it in the theaters, and instead waited for it to arrive on DVD.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By progenitorigin

I just think that the Captain America film is going to be under a hell of a lot of pressure, so they want to give the fans a taste of it so they'll still want to see it.  I mean, let's face it, this movie is up against Iron Man, Thor, both which were awesome movies for the Marvel franchise.  You really don't want to be the people that make Captain America craptastic in comparison.  Personally, i'm looking forward to the film, it looks great, and I still think it's going to be great.