• 66 results
#1 Posted by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Edited by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

Is is possible for a highly skilled fighter to engage anywhere from 3-10 people in a real world altercation?

#3 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. In real life they would all just tackle the guy.

#4 Edited by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

@VercingetorixTheGreat: So theirs no way around the tackle, even if the guys incredibly fast?

#5 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't fight ten guys when your attention's on one, no matter how skilled you are.

#6 Edited by Nefarious (20301 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Bruce Lee did it. 

#7 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio

You have a gun.

#8 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@HBKTimHBK: thats what I was thinking

#9 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@jumpstart55 said:

@VercingetorixTheGreat: So theirs no way around the tackle, even if the guys incredibly fast?

well yes and no. If they are all around you, your screwed unless you have superhuman strength. If they are coming at you, I guess you could run like hell

#10 Posted by jwalser3 (5006 posts) - - Show Bio

One gets you on the floor, they stomp you in the face.

#11 Posted by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

@VercingetorixTheGreat said:

@jumpstart55 said:

well yes and no. If they are all around you, your screwed unless you have superhuman strength. If they are coming at you, I guess you could run like hell

lol i guess that works, but hate to just believe that a bunch of unskilled pucks can take someone like Bruce Lee down.I guess thats just real world physics.

#12 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nefarious said:

Yes, Bruce Lee did it.

What, in a movie?

#13 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

@jumpstart55: its true. Its just to much bone and flesh to overcome. Bruce could probably break a few bones before going down though. It really depends on the punks. Are they attacking 1 at a time or just all running at him trying to bring him down?

#14 Posted by Nefarious (20301 posts) - - Show Bio
@royale_with_cheese: Oh yeah, that happened in a movie. Nevermind.
#15 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

you grab one and throw him towards the area most crowded, this will provide you with enough time to take out the ones nearest to you; and then repeat till you win or get to a strategic location

ofcourse this is easier said than done, i couldn't do it but im sure a professional could do it

#16 Posted by Erik (32786 posts) - - Show Bio

No one is going to want to engage you if you are secreting anything. So I guess secretion is the secret.

#17 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4799 posts) - - Show Bio

RUN. yes cowards play or whatever

Only way to win is to punch and run or punch and dodge

I dont care what you call it.

its simply moving and barely hitting

seen it a few times.

Only time the one doode won was when it was against 5 or less

One time it was One doode Vs 10 NO Lie but it was totally Unfair

23yr old Body Builder Vs Ten skinny 17yr olds

besides that

The one doode literally RAN AWAY or got stomped out.

JustSayingThough

(+)

#18 Posted by TheBatman586 (6316 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is possible if you do it properly. For example, if your opponents are separated enough, you can take on one or two of them at a time, and then move on to another opponent, repeating this process until they're all KO'd.  Also, I don't think 10 people are actually capable of attacking one person all at once, since there wouldn't be enough space for them all to fit in such close proximity.

#19 Edited by Jayfournines (4024 posts) - - Show Bio

no way you fight off 10 attackers, it is possible for you to win a fight against three, not probable, but possible and it depends very much on how ruthless...but...being completely honest, y'all mental wanking if you think it's actually possible. And before the barrage of comic vine posters who are incredible mma artists or martial artists coment...no, no one beats thugs in a street fight, they will bite, kick, gouge, rip and pull everything while you are trying to perform an 'increidbly fast' kick.

And I know Bruce is legendary...but come on, he's just a dude, baseball bat upside the head and he's done.

#20 Posted by ChaosBlazer (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the real trick is to divide and conquer. Don't think one person could do it unarmed, if the group makes a circle around you, no matter where you turn, your back is to one of them, eventually they would all get ahold of you and then beat you up.

#21 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik said:

No one is going to want to engage you if you are secreting anything. So I guess secretion is the secret.

#22 Posted by ChaosBlazer (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jayfournines said:

no way you fight off 10 attackers, it is possible for you to win a fight against three, not probable, but possible and it depends very much on how ruthless...but...being completely honest, y'all mental wanking if you think it's actually possible. And before the barrage of comic vine posters who are incredible mma artists or martial artists coment...no, no one beats thugs in a street fight, they will bite, kick, gouge, rip and pull everything while you are trying to perform an 'increidbly fast' kick.

And I know Bruce is legendary...but come on, he's just a dude, baseball bat upside the head and he's done.

This is pretty much true, just doesn't happen like that.

This could be possible if the gang was a bunch of 13 year-olds, and the one guy was a physically fit, large guy, but even then, he would probably lose the majority. In real life numerical disadvantages make up for far more than in games, movies, etc.

#23 Posted by eatmore_payless (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

Impossible even if you're as skilled as hell ten guys would murder you

#24 Posted by Shawnbaby (10768 posts) - - Show Bio

Best way to engage multiple opponents at the same time is to fight them in a narrow place where they can't surround you and can only approach you a couple at a time.  

#25 Posted by Saren (25674 posts) - - Show Bio

Firearms.

#26 Edited by Mad8Baller (494 posts) - - Show Bio

If you get tackled by like 10 guys, the only way you gonna win is if you have enough strength to lift up all 10 guys together.
In general each one is going to weigh 100 lbs at least, so you would need to lift at least 1000 lbs.
World Record for weight lifted is only about 500 lbs.  Meaning you get tackled, you gonna lose.
Unless these guys aren't working all together and coming at you 1 or 2 at a time like in the movies and video games.

Edit: As for a real thing to do if you are getting mugged by multiple people, generally take out the strongest guy and the leader in the group as quickly as possible.
Often it helps if the leader is the strongest guy as well.  And then hope the other guys don't all go and gang on you.  Because there is no way you gonna win all out against 5+ left over guys unless you have a weapon or a gun.

#27 Posted by Malonius (886 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright, I can't find the video but the Israeli Defense Force teaches their soldiers how to fight multiple attackers in street and riot situations. This is using their awesome martial arts style called Krav Maga. Basically, what you do is RRRRRRUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN!!!!!! What? You think you're in a movie? If someone gets to close and you can't escape you attack them as viciously and as quickly as you can by kicking them in the balls or jabbing their eyes out and then you return to your original plan, RRRRUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

#28 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

Against more then one person sop is to pick a corner and 'strafe' toward it. Basically you make that person a point that the rest must pivot around.

Malonius mentioned Krav Maga, and that's pretty much it. You keep moving toward a corner so they have to cannot all engage you (assuming you all have the same footspeed.). Try to keep the ones that can engage you at bay with strikes to the throat, testicles, and knees.

You have two primary goals here.

One is to get to a place where you can escape.

The second is to get a weapon, and communication.

Ideally you would circle, create distance (escape), acquire a weapon and tool to communicate.

Create distance. Acquire weapon. Communicate.

#29 Posted by Mad8Baller (494 posts) - - Show Bio
@Malonius said:
I think Krav maga might be a bad example though... It's about neutralizing a threat such as kicking a person in the shin or specific points in the thigh to knock the opp to the ground and then retreating to a better position making it perfect for military use where you generally always have a giant automatic rifle by your side to finish the job. 
I think a better one would be those monk skills that like where you tear out an opponent's heart or something?  That might be a better technique for fighting multiple opps lol.
#30 Posted by BigCimmerian (8305 posts) - - Show Bio

I was capable of holding my own when several thugs tried to rob me, but I had to run after the fight

#31 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mad8Baller: If you can tear out peoples hearts with your hand, I don't think you have to worry about ten people.

@BigCimmerian: Well, that's the subject of the thread, what did you do to manage that? What sort of advantages did you have?

#32 Posted by BigCimmerian (8305 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lady_Liberty said:

@Mad8Baller: If you can tear out peoples hearts with your hand, I don't think you have to worry about ten people.

@BigCimmerian: Well, that's the subject of the thread, what did you do to manage that? What sort of advantages did you have?

I had advantage of surprise, I attacked them first, but that advantage was only for several seconds, there was 4 or 5 of them and they all rushed at me, in comicvine language I was bloodlusted xD, no really if you fall on the ground it is over, they will just run over you, so I tried to stand my ground and when I had a chance I ran. I had size advantage of being 6'2 and 190 lbs

#33 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

keep moving is your best option, but the best you can hope for is escaping unscathed

#34 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@BigCimmerian: Well good work ;-)

So size, surprise, and violence of action. Good stuff, and thanks for the description!

#35 Edited by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

@jumpstart55 said:

Is is possible for a highly skilled fighter to engage anywhere from 3-10 people in a real world altercation?

the Keysi fighting Method and Krav Maga are both martial arts that deal with fighting multiple opponents but they are nowhere near as fancy as what you'd see in comics, video games.... Their basically combinations of very quick blows deisnged to take the opponent down in the shortest amount of time possible. So while its not easy at all it is possible if you've worked hard enough. The Keysi Method boasts it can be used to take down up to 20 opponents but that sounds like BS to me but against 5-6 possibly.

#36 Posted by ShootingNova (17038 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep moving, use a lot of tripping techniques, and focus your energy on tanking their hits. Once you trip enough to get away, escape.

#37 Posted by xan84 (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep moving and never let them suround you or move with your back to any of them. keep trowing 1 in front of others so they have a hard time to get to you and always move to the 1 on the edge so you don't end up in the middle of the pack. Then use some psychology on them, like when you grab 1 you ripp his eyes out. They are going to be scared as hell to get close to you. Its going to be hard but a MS master could do it if he is fighting some random punks. Defenetly. Also and of course no weapons for anybody.

#38 Posted by Jayfournines (4024 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChaosBlazer said:

@Jayfournines said:

This is pretty much true, just doesn't happen like that.

This could be possible if the gang was a bunch of 13 year-olds, and the one guy was a physically fit, large guy, but even then, he would probably lose the majority. In real life numerical disadvantages make up for far more than in games, movies, etc.

yeah but even if it as Brock Lesnar against 10 teenagers....if one of those kids manages to hit your balls ever so slightly....ya goin down lol

#39 Posted by TheCannon (18685 posts) - - Show Bio

Telepathic abilities.

#40 Posted by DTFB (191 posts) - - Show Bio

if your fighting a bunch of idiots who has very little fighting experience i could see it happening. but even a group of them could still take one down. backing in a corner wouldn help that much at all if any .

#41 Posted by rpgr (331 posts) - - Show Bio

You run. Everyone is different and and will advance at a different speed, by running you take out the fastest guy while the others are still catching up. A skilled guy like Bruce Lee would run to a point where he cannot be surrounded (basic swordsman/martial art tactic).

It's called tactics people, this is tactics 101. One super skilled opponent can kill 100 in the right circumstances. The basic tactic was to hold a narrow ridge with a single skilled spearman that had a height and reach advantage. What does it matter if 100 grunts come at you when only 1 can attack at a time?

#42 Posted by rolldestroyer (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

the secret to engage multiple opponents is courage

#43 Edited by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

@VercingetorixTheGreat said:

@jumpstart55: its true. Its just to much bone and flesh to overcome. Bruce could probably break a few bones before going down though. It really depends on the punks. Are they attacking 1 at a time or just all running at him trying to bring him down?

Both, i guess.

#44 Posted by Trinity00 (2508 posts) - - Show Bio

You have to be very very fast, and your enemies have to be really poorly trained and dumb witted.

#45 Edited by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Take out the weaker ones first , hit & run and don't play fair even if your mother's life depended on it

Krav Maga actually have lessons for that

#46 Posted by EternalDecider (293 posts) - - Show Bio

Intimidation. Take out the strong ones first while intimidating the weaker ones. If you're up against 100 Super-Courageous Headstrong Confident and Highly Skilled men, YOURE DEAD.

#47 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Guns

#48 Posted by boschePG (2324 posts) - - Show Bio

Did you see Ip Man 1. Thats a classic visual of how to do it. If you want to read it, batman586 was on the right track. You have to control spacing around you.Let say they are coming to you from the door, you have to collapse the first contact breach guy and stuff the entry way thus stacking your opponents and making them more easy for you to take on. If its in a wide open area, you always have to set your counter on the perimeter so you dont get surrounded. Most people focus on one attacker and thats it but with multiples you have to use their numbers against them. Like lining up one attacker in front of another so the guy in the rear cant attack. Its always in controlling space

#49 Posted by DedmanWalkin (2598 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why Batman wears a suit of lightweight armor.

#50 Posted by LONGTIME (926 posts) - - Show Bio