Whats Rap or Hip Hops appeal?

Braxxis7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Braxxis7

Just curious i love classic or alternitive rock but i cant get into rap or hip hop it seems to either be talking the whole time to base or using that microphone to alter your voice.  

I'm opened minded so lets see whats the appeal?
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By sexy_merc

What MCs have you listened to?

Braxxis7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Braxxis7
@Sexy Merc:
MC?
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By King_Saturn
@Braxxis7 said:
" @Sexy Merc: MC? "
he means what Rappers have you listened to...  
MC = Hip Hop Artist
Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Jotham

If you don't enjoy it, you probably can't understand its appeal. Same with any other form of entertainment.

Avatar image for a_touch_of_class__atc_
A Touch of Class (ATC)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has a large fan base because it requires the least amount of talent to pull off out of any other form of music, so a larger amount of people can get into it. In addition, I don't believe people listen to rap because it sounds good, rather they do it to project a rebellious attitude toward society.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@A Touch of Class (ATC) said:
" It has a large fan base because it requires the least amount of talent to pull off. "
Is that why the WNBA has such a massive fan base ;)
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By King_Saturn
@Gambler said:
" @A Touch of Class (ATC) said:
" It has a large fan base because it requires the least amount of talent to pull off. "
Is that why the WNBA has such a massive fan base ;) "
Cold Blooded G... lol 
Yaujtapool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yaujtapool

Ever tried listening to Mos Def ?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn
@Yaujtapool said:
" Ever tried listening to Mos Def ? "
Mos Def is a good example of more creative and true rooted Hip Hop... another good suggestion would be MF Doom... Talib Kweli... Common... 
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_

Eminem. 

Yaujtapool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yaujtapool
@King Saturn said:
" @Yaujtapool said:
" Ever tried listening to Mos Def ? "
Mos Def is a good example of more creative and true rooted Hip Hop... another good suggestion would be MF Doom... Talib Kweli... Common...  "
Yep thats real talent .
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mercy_
@A Touch of Class (ATC) said:
" It has a large fan base because it requires the least amount of talent to pull off out of any other form of music, so a larger amount of people can get into it. In addition, I don't believe people listen to rap because it sounds good, rather they do it to project a rebellious attitude toward society. "
I don't necessarily agree with that. To me, a good rapper has to be able to stay on beat (something that is happening less and less, so many of them are behind the beat), has to be quick, has to be witty and has to have good diction. It takes a fair amount of skill to be able to rap on beat (especially if it's a fast beat) and still be able to understand what they're saying. Two rappers who are a prime example of MC's who excel at this are Eminem and Ludacris. IMO, the form of music that takes the least amount of talent to pull off is all the electronica and techno crap. 
Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Captain13

This is a long answer, but I feel like I have to do rap justice.

You should listen to Eminem, K'naan, Lupe Fiasco, Mos Def, and T.I.'s albums. They're REAL rappers--not like Soulja boy, Kanye, and Lil Wayne. Listen to their lyrics. Really listen. A good rapper will talk about their hardships, give social commentary, and avoid being fake. If rappers talk about how much of a "thug" they are or how much money they have, they're a blight to the art form of Rap. A lot of good rappers will talk about the fakeness of the industry and what "being married to Rap or Hip Hop" can take away from you.

IMO, what rap can do better than most forms of music is tell a story that you can relate to or empathize with BECAUSE rap should by definition have a focus on what's in the lyrics. It's a great vehicle for expressing oneself. The lyrics alone should be like poetry. I honestly believe that in 50-80 years, historians will look at rap lyrics for social commentary, and English teachers will analyze the song lyrics like poetry.

Beyond lyrics, once you listen to rap long enough you can appreciate different songs for their production value and rhythem/beats alone. Rap--like any other form of music--can help elicit emotional responses from you for whatever reason. "Lose Yourself" by Eminem has gotten me through breakups as well as my Grandmother's passing. And the guys at my University gym take turns hooking up their IPODs to the gym speakers and blasting rap songs, so that we can all get pumped for a good workout.

If you really want to get what rap is about, you should start by listening to these albums:

Recovery
by Eminem  (This is POWERFUL stuff man. In this album, he raps about how his career bleeds into his personal life. He's not sure if his talent is a gift or a curse)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_%28Eminem_album%29

The Dusty Foot Philosopher
by K'naan (He talks about his life in Somalia and all the hardship in the world--including heartbreak. He's also very hopeful. He has a Bob Marley thing about him)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dusty_Foot_Philosopher

Troubadour
by K'naan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubadour_%28K%27naan_album%29

The Slim Shady LP
by Eminem
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Slim_Shady_LP  

Lupe Fiasco's
the Cool by Lupe Fiasco (Talks about the Rap industry. It has some philosophical/social commentary which is cool. Some of it may go over your head the first time)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupe_Fiasco%27s_The_Cool

Paper Trail
by T.I. (Written right before he went to Prison. He raps about reaching a positive turning point in his life and his willingness to become a better man)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Trail

Here are some songs you can listen to if you don't want to listen to a whole albums just yet.

Space Bound by Eminem

This shows the beginning, middle and, end of his relationship, or any relationship. It talks at first about how he fell in love. Then in the middle it talks about how how happy he is during it. And the end shows how hurt he is by her deserting him.  

You're Never Over by Eminem

This talks about how he is moving beyond his loss. He's "rising from the ashes" and recovering. He'll never forget this person, but he's stronger for the experience and he's at the top of his game now. He's elevated beyond the problems and evils around him.
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By _Sojourn_

The appeal of rap is based in it's ability to release emotions. Just like any other form of creativity. Real rappers like Cee Lo Green, and the many others that have been posted here have been put aside, which is probably why you don't listen to it, by posers who think they own the world because they can make a dance song...

killermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killermike

I was raised around it so that probaly has something to do with it.
Avatar image for augustus_freeman_vi
Augustus Freeman VI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's the emotions an artist can portray in a song or album. For every emotion I feel there is an example from hip hop that represents it. From love, anger, sadness, grief, regrets, joy, being rebellious, just not giving a f***, paranoia its all there. Then there's the craftsmanship of it as an art. To me it's poetry to a beat. You can't just rap off beat with simple abab rhyme scheme and expect for me to be satisfied. I love rappers with complex rhyme schemes and even multi-syllable rhymes, intelligent metaphors and similes. It's all their in hip  hop and I love every second of listening to it, hearing the emotions expressed, and digesting every second of it. It's an beautiful art form that when done right and given a proper chance can speak to you on several levels.

Braxxis7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Braxxis7

Great responds i might give some of these a try although i remain as skeptic as possible

i feel as though anyone could rap given a good beat behind them ive tried when i didnt know the lyrics and i gotta say i didnt do bad

and let me tell you i dont have any talent

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Braxxis7:
Not gonna lie, I find Eminem's stuff getting cheesier and cheesier (and I have trouble taking him seriously). But I'm sure you sound fantastic spitting lines...
Braxxis7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Braxxis7
@texasdeathmatch:
thanks ill be sure to send you an my album after i cut it(insert sarcasm)
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Braxxis7: Let me guess, it went something like this?: