• 155 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Your thoughts?

Be back tomorrow. I mean later today. Got college in a few hours. Bye.

#2 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

a better place

Moderator
#3 Posted by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"a better place"
The world would still be fcked up....except it would be worse. 
#4 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
I dont know if the world would be better or worse... it seems religion as a whole brings some good things to the world and as you know it brings some very horrible things too... I just wish folks werent so extreme about there beliefs in terms of forceing them on other people by different means... maybe that could help
#5 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
Supreme Marvel said:
"Your thoughts?

Be back tomorrow. I mean later today. Got college in a few hours. Bye."
a lot of things that shaped the world would never have happened, life as we know it wouldn't exist and...there'd probably have been a lot less murders throughout history
Moderator
#6 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

SCIENCE DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!

#7 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio
Shaper said:
"SCIENCE DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!"
You blame science? For...?
#8 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
It think it would be really interesting to see how the world would be on a social level without religion...
#9 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio
Gloom said:
"Shaper said:
"SCIENCE DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!"
You blame science? For...?"

Huh? No, I was making a joke from South Park. Cartman goes into the future and everyone are Atheists and they all say "Science" Damn you. Instead of "God" Damn you. I'm not blaming science at all. To be honest I don't understand why you think I'd blame science.
#10 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio
Shaper said:
"To be honest I don't understand why you think I'd blame science."
Because you said "Science damn you!" and I lack South Park knowledge, that's why. :P
#11 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

religion would exist no matter what, the human being by nature is curious, wants to get answers and when he can't get them he invents things.

The humans create gods and religions because they want to know the biggest questions of the world like from where do we come or what happens after death, since science can't answer that they make their own theories claiming that it's all thanks/because of beings on a higher plane, the human needs something to believe in.

So in my opinion there can't be a world without religion, it would be like taking part of the human nature

#12 Posted by ThisIsGonnaHurt (30177 posts) - - Show Bio

A world without religion would be rather dull and boring. Like a marble somehow lost without its sheen in the gloom of a bog - without the gleam it would otherwise provide, it would be lost and grim all the time.

#13 Posted by RANDOMM (474 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I think today's suicide rates would be much higher without religion.

#14 Posted by HobGadling (706 posts) - - Show Bio

Dunno.  Would love to give it a try, though. lol

#15 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

in a world without religion, comics would be very limited if even existent

Moderator
#16 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio

Some aspects in life would be better where as some would be worse

#17 Posted by RANDOMM (474 posts) - - Show Bio

We'd all live together in harmony, there would be equality for all mankind, our birth rates would equal our death rates, no one would die young, and our environment would be completely stable.

Now that we've taken the trip to dream world...

I don't think the world would be any different, really. Something would come up to fill the niches that religions fill.

#18 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio

World without religion: the same, we'd just find something else to argue about.

Staff
#19 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be chaos. Religion is what made people moral. You may not believe in all or any specific religion, but region is what civilized mankind.

#20 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

doubt it

Moderator
#21 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"It would be chaos. Religion is what made people moral. You may not believe in all or any specific religion, but region is what civilized mankind."
Culture civilized mankind. Religion is just a small part of that.
Staff
#22 Posted by The Wondering Spider (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

Whit out religions all those people who are searching for forgiveness would probably keep doing what they are doing. Rapist, Murders, thieves all this people who try to get forgiveness wouldn't believe that they are getting it and would keep doing what they are doing until they are killed. 

I don't know about you but I prefer them in a church looking for forgiveness than in the streets looking to Rape, murder or kidnap my daughter.. Don't you? 

I rest my case....

#23 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
inferiorego said:
"Nobody said:
"It would be chaos. Religion is what made people moral. You may not believe in all or any specific religion, but region is what civilized mankind."
Culture civilized mankind. Religion is just a small part of that."
I don't really feel like debating this, just giving my two cents.
#24 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
The Wondering Spider said:
"Whit out religions all those people who are searching for forgiveness would probably keep doing what they are doing. Rapist, Murders, thieves all this people who try to get forgiveness wouldn't believe that they are getting it and would keep doing what they are doing until they are killed. 

I don't know about you but I prefer them in a church looking for forgiveness than in the streets looking to Rape, murder or kidnap my daughter.. Don't you? 

I rest my case...."
what?
are you saying people aren't out raping because they're in church praying?
Moderator
#25 Posted by Jack the Ripper (2225 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"The Wondering Spider said:
"Whit out religions all those people who are searching for forgiveness would probably keep doing what they are doing. Rapist, Murders, thieves all this people who try to get forgiveness wouldn't believe that they are getting it and would keep doing what they are doing until they are killed. 

I don't know about you but I prefer them in a church looking for forgiveness than in the streets looking to Rape, murder or kidnap my daughter.. Don't you? 

I rest my case...."
what?
are you saying people aren't out raping because they're in church praying?
"
lmfao, that's hilarious

everyone knows rapists go to church after their done...so they can cleanse themselves
#26 Posted by The Wondering Spider (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

to be more clear.


Don't think I'm saying that everyone in a church is a murderer or rapist or thief..... look at the words I choose.

those murderers, and thieves that are actually looking for forgiveness in religion, those that find relief in religion. If they wouldn't have it
 tell me what would they have? nothing, nothing to believe in nothing to fall back on. Because, trust me who ever they killed Is not waking up saying I forgive you. No woman is going to forgive a rapist even if he was imprison for years and come back to the woman begging on his knees, she wont forgive him. So now they have their conscience bugging them driving them insane looking for forgiveness that their victims ain't giving. So ether they find religion or we find them in their house whit a shotgun on hands and their brains splatter all over the ceiling.. ouch...

I'm not saying all the rapist and murderers I'm talking of the one who is actually really from the heart looking for forgiveness and can't find it.. Cause a rapist that comes to church trying to clean himself and go on and do it again......


That one I blow his brain out myself!




<----------------Does not belong to a church, I just know about it...

#27 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't want to think about this.

#28 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34406 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a question that is impossible or next to impossible to answer. Religion is almost as old as (if not as old as) humanity itself. If you'd remove it from the dawn of civilisation...it'll only appear some time later. Oh and...

Static Shock said:

"I honestly don't want to think about this."
#29 Posted by Platypus (35 posts) - - Show Bio

without religion there would be no grounds to base our morals on...one way or the other people would have to make up their own set of rules...and we all know that what one man may think is immoral another man may find complelty acceptable...how would governemnt be able to make fair laws if everyones moral compass pointed in a differnent direction?...i guess what im getting at is that without religion people would have no rules to abide by and therefore life would be in a constant state of chaos no matter who tried to govern it

#30 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

Religion was created as a means of controlling an over-populated planet. Ever see the pyramid of power. The only ones who know what's going on are those at the very top, the very top of the pyramid is the smallest part, as you get down, more and more people know less and less about what is happening.

The easiest way to control such a large and naive populus would be to keep them arguing and fighting amongst themselves, rather than giving them time to ask the questions to which the answers could bring this world down.

Each religion is built off the same template, there is an all-seeing god (Buddha, God, Allah, Satan etc.) followed by their chosen prophet/s (Jesus, Moses, Socretes, Muhammad, Damien etc.) All records and texts are kept in a chosen book or Bible, the most common is the book of Christianity, The Holy Bible. There is also Quran the holy book of Islam, Ancient Palestine of the Jewish religion, etc.

It is exactly the same for all religions because they are each drawn from the same stencil dedicated to keeping people too busy persuing a false spiritual beleif when the true God lies within yourself. Also many things read from these bibles can be interpreted to be the same, same stories with different characters, same events with different titles. There are many different theories containing explanation to the events recorded in these "Bibles" some which include Moses eating Magic Mushrooms and simply hullucinating his vision of a burning tree and God speaking to him. Also that visitors from their God's may have been mistaken for visitors from other planets.

You hold the answers to these questions. It just comes down to whether or not you can let go.

#31 Posted by goatwrench (23 posts) - - Show Bio

the same: still ingnorant, still stupid

#32 Posted by Duke Checkmate III (361 posts) - - Show Bio

The World isn't stupid..people are.

#33 Posted by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio
goatwrench said:
"the same: still ingnorant, still stupid"
no. not at all. If you truly believe that, then it is you that is stupid. While i'm an atheist, i believe that religion is a useful thing within the world. While it has it's down sides, it's benefits are much better. Religion gives people hope, it gives them a sense of something more helping them along the way. Otherwise this world will truly be a dark place. 
#34 Posted by Duke Checkmate III (361 posts) - - Show Bio
oldmagic said:
"goatwrench said:
"the same: still ingnorant, still stupid"
no. not at all. If you truly believe that, then it is you that is stupid. While i'm an atheist, i believe that religion is a useful thing within the world. While it has it's down sides, it's benefits are much better. Religion gives people hope, it gives them a sense of something more helping them along the way. Otherwise this world will truly be a dark place. "
You didn't have to call him\her stupid for their opinion.
#35 Edited by oldmagic (5295 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry. Yea, i know. I get overboard. 

#36 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio
oldmagic said:
"goatwrench said:
"the same: still ingnorant, still stupid"
no. not at all. If you truly believe that, then it is you that is stupid. While i'm an atheist, i believe that religion is a useful thing within the world. While it has it's down sides, it's benefits are much better. Religion gives people hope, it gives them a sense of something more helping them along the way. Otherwise this world will truly be a dark place. "

false hope, why not teach people to have real hope in themselves, rather than some story from 2000 B.C. (Bull Crap). having faith in a god or religion is as easy as having faith in yourself, because really it is only yourself. i blabbered few paragraphs up the top there, gee u guys are slack readers =P
#37 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
I have experienced some amazing supernatural events through having faith in God....
#38 Edited by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

Religion doesn't make people moral, living in societies makes people moral.

By themselves, human beings are Purina predator chow. We are slow and clumsy. We have no scales, no wings, no claws, no teeth to speak of. We are soft and squishy and defenseless.  And our kids...how long until our kids are able to even walk compared to other spices, let alone defend themselves?

In a group, or collective minds can come up with fire, with spears to defend against roving packs of wolves and prides of lions, with strategies to approach predators and hunting. In a group, we can protect ourselves,  protect our young, and feed ourselves far better than when we operate alone.

And there are just certain things you cannot do if you are living in a group. It's is just common sense that a group of people will not stay together if it members steal, cheat, lie, or go on killing sprees.

It is in our nature to be "moral" because it keeps order in the group.

So without religion, I do not think thing would be that different good or bad. Because people still get fanatical about causes even in religion's absence. Stalin killed millions in the name of Communism. Human zealotry is the problem, religion is just a convenient vehicle.

#39 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio
Jesus said:
"Religion was created as a means of controlling an over-populated planet. Ever see the pyramid of power. The only ones who know what's going on are those at the very top, the very top of the pyramid is the smallest part, as you get down, more and more people know less and less about what is happening.

The easiest way to control such a large and naive populus would be to keep them arguing and fighting amongst themselves, rather than giving them time to ask the questions to which the answers could bring this world down.

Each religion is built off the same template, there is an all-seeing god (Buddha, God, Allah, Satan etc.) followed by their chosen prophet/s (Jesus, Moses, Socretes, Muhammad, Damien etc.) All records and texts are kept in a chosen book or Bible, the most common is the book of Christianity, The Holy Bible. There is also Quran the holy book of Islam, Ancient Palestine of the Jewish religion, etc.

It is exactly the same for all religions because they are each drawn from the same stencil dedicated to keeping people too busy persuing a false spiritual beleif when the true God lies within yourself. Also many things read from these bibles can be interpreted to be the same, same stories with different characters, same events with different titles. There are many different theories containing explanation to the events recorded in these "Bibles" some which include Moses eating Magic Mushrooms and simply hullucinating his vision of a burning tree and God speaking to him. Also that visitors from their God's may have been mistaken for visitors from other planets.

You hold the answers to these questions. It just comes down to whether or not you can let go."
#40 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
cpt_linger said:
"Jesus said:
"Religion was created as a means of controlling an over-populated planet. Ever see the pyramid of power. The only ones who know what's going on are those at the very top, the very top of the pyramid is the smallest part, as you get down, more and more people know less and less about what is happening.

The easiest way to control such a large and naive populus would be to keep them arguing and fighting amongst themselves, rather than giving them time to ask the questions to which the answers could bring this world down.

Each religion is built off the same template, there is an all-seeing god (Buddha, God, Allah, Satan etc.) followed by their chosen prophet/s (Jesus, Moses, Socretes, Muhammad, Damien etc.) All records and texts are kept in a chosen book or Bible, the most common is the book of Christianity, The Holy Bible. There is also Quran the holy book of Islam, Ancient Palestine of the Jewish religion, etc.

It is exactly the same for all religions because they are each drawn from the same stencil dedicated to keeping people too busy persuing a false spiritual beleif when the true God lies within yourself. Also many things read from these bibles can be interpreted to be the same, same stories with different characters, same events with different titles. There are many different theories containing explanation to the events recorded in these "Bibles" some which include Moses eating Magic Mushrooms and simply hullucinating his vision of a burning tree and God speaking to him. Also that visitors from their God's may have been mistaken for visitors from other planets.

You hold the answers to these questions. It just comes down to whether or not you can let go."
"
I dont think Jesus himself would actually say this

lol
#41 Posted by inferiorego (24714 posts) - - Show Bio
Pania said:
"Religion doesn't make people moral, living in societies makes people moral.

By themselves, human beings are Purina predator chow. We are slow and clumsy. We have no scales, no wings, no claws, no teeth to speak of. We are soft and squishy and defenseless.  And our kids...how long until our kids are able to even walk compared to other spices, let alone defend themselves?

In a group, or collective minds can come up with fire, with spears to defend against roving packs of wolves and prides of lions, with strategies to approach predators and hunting. In a group, we can protect ourselves,  protect our young, and feed ourselves far better than when we operate alone.

And there are just certain things you cannot do if you are living in a group. It's is just common sense that a group of people will not stay together if it members steal, cheat, lie, or go on killing sprees.

It is in our nature to be "moral" because it keeps order in the group.

So without religion, I do not think thing would be that different good or bad. Because people still get fanatical about causes even in religion's absence. Stalin killed millions in the name of Communism. Human zealotry is the problem, religion is just a convenient vehicle."
Very well said
Staff
#42 Posted by Vlad Tepes Dracula (2208 posts) - - Show Bio

Without religion, the world would of been a better place to be

#43 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"cpt_linger said:
"Jesus said:
"Religion was created as a means of controlling an over-populated planet. Ever see the pyramid of power. The only ones who know what's going on are those at the very top, the very top of the pyramid is the smallest part, as you get down, more and more people know less and less about what is happening.

The easiest way to control such a large and naive populus would be to keep them arguing and fighting amongst themselves, rather than giving them time to ask the questions to which the answers could bring this world down.

Each religion is built off the same template, there is an all-seeing god (Buddha, God, Allah, Satan etc.) followed by their chosen prophet/s (Jesus, Moses, Socretes, Muhammad, Damien etc.) All records and texts are kept in a chosen book or Bible, the most common is the book of Christianity, The Holy Bible. There is also Quran the holy book of Islam, Ancient Palestine of the Jewish religion, etc.

It is exactly the same for all religions because they are each drawn from the same stencil dedicated to keeping people too busy persuing a false spiritual beleif when the true God lies within yourself. Also many things read from these bibles can be interpreted to be the same, same stories with different characters, same events with different titles. There are many different theories containing explanation to the events recorded in these "Bibles" some which include Moses eating Magic Mushrooms and simply hullucinating his vision of a burning tree and God speaking to him. Also that visitors from their God's may have been mistaken for visitors from other planets.

You hold the answers to these questions. It just comes down to whether or not you can let go."
"
I dont think Jesus himself would actually say this

lol
"
isn't that the beauty of it though, what you assume jesus would or wouldn't say is only based off what you are told. Jesus could go tell everyone to get f#@!k for all we know. Jesus could have been a stoner, I don't know. I'm not gonna sit here an insult his name, because i repect people's beleifs, but when they force their beleifs upon others, it sucks.
#44 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I think, some people need Religion, because they need faith in something after death. Because people are afraid of what they don't understand. Well, most people are. I for one am not, am an Atheist, and I have faith in myself and for me that's all I need. I do not need to believe in 'God', but from our government, I know they are hiding things from us. And I would like them to tell us, and let us decided on what to do with it and not lie to us.
I think people also misinterpret religion as well as means for doing stupid things. I.E. 9/11, 7/7 etc. For me the ultimate crime is to take another person's life away, no one should ever have the power. Not even a so called 'God'. I would rather it how itself to us to show us, but since it won't, I will keep believing that it does not exist. And that Religion was made by man and without the presence of anything extraordinary. I.E. Jesus

#45 Posted by Vlad Tepes Dracula (2208 posts) - - Show Bio

Truth be told, Religion is there for what man cannot comprehend or cant fulfill in his life, is afraid of, or other things. nothing more, nothing less.

#46 Edited by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
cpt_linger said:
"King Saturn said:
"cpt_linger said:
"Jesus said:
"Religion was created as a means of controlling an over-populated planet. Ever see the pyramid of power. The only ones who know what's going on are those at the very top, the very top of the pyramid is the smallest part, as you get down, more and more people know less and less about what is happening.

The easiest way to control such a large and naive populus would be to keep them arguing and fighting amongst themselves, rather than giving them time to ask the questions to which the answers could bring this world down.

Each religion is built off the same template, there is an all-seeing god (Buddha, God, Allah, Satan etc.) followed by their chosen prophet/s (Jesus, Moses, Socretes, Muhammad, Damien etc.) All records and texts are kept in a chosen book or Bible, the most common is the book of Christianity, The Holy Bible. There is also Quran the holy book of Islam, Ancient Palestine of the Jewish religion, etc.

It is exactly the same for all religions because they are each drawn from the same stencil dedicated to keeping people too busy persuing a false spiritual beleif when the true God lies within yourself. Also many things read from these bibles can be interpreted to be the same, same stories with different characters, same events with different titles. There are many different theories containing explanation to the events recorded in these "Bibles" some which include Moses eating Magic Mushrooms and simply hullucinating his vision of a burning tree and God speaking to him. Also that visitors from their God's may have been mistaken for visitors from other planets.

You hold the answers to these questions. It just comes down to whether or not you can let go."
"
I dont think Jesus himself would actually say this

lol
"
isn't that the beauty of it though, what you assume jesus would or wouldn't say is only based off what you are told. Jesus could go tell everyone to get f#@!k for all we know. Jesus could have been a stoner, I don't know. I'm not gonna sit here an insult his name, because i repect people's beleifs, but when they force their beleifs upon others, it sucks."
I see what you are saying... and I have at times question what Jesus was really like at times in my mind... ( since the Bible doesnt really have much info on what Jesus was like when he was in his Late Teenage Years or even when he was in his Twentys )... we are forced to believe by faith that he was a squeaky clean Holy Man who did no wrong or evil...with no real background on what he did through those years in his life... that sometimes bother me
#47 Edited by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio
King Saturn said:
"cpt_linger said:
"King Saturn said:
"cpt_linger said:
"Jesus said:
"Religion was created as a means of controlling an over-populated planet. Ever see the pyramid of power. The only ones who know what's going on are those at the very top, the very top of the pyramid is the smallest part, as you get down, more and more people know less and less about what is happening.

The easiest way to control such a large and naive populus would be to keep them arguing and fighting amongst themselves, rather than giving them time to ask the questions to which the answers could bring this world down.

Each religion is built off the same template, there is an all-seeing god (Buddha, God, Allah, Satan etc.) followed by their chosen prophet/s (Jesus, Moses, Socretes, Muhammad, Damien etc.) All records and texts are kept in a chosen book or Bible, the most common is the book of Christianity, The Holy Bible. There is also Quran the holy book of Islam, Ancient Palestine of the Jewish religion, etc.

It is exactly the same for all religions because they are each drawn from the same stencil dedicated to keeping people too busy persuing a false spiritual beleif when the true God lies within yourself. Also many things read from these bibles can be interpreted to be the same, same stories with different characters, same events with different titles. There are many different theories containing explanation to the events recorded in these "Bibles" some which include Moses eating Magic Mushrooms and simply hullucinating his vision of a burning tree and God speaking to him. Also that visitors from their God's may have been mistaken for visitors from other planets.

You hold the answers to these questions. It just comes down to whether or not you can let go."
"
I dont think Jesus himself would actually say this

lol
"
isn't that the beauty of it though, what you assume jesus would or wouldn't say is only based off what you are told. Jesus could go tell everyone to get f#@!k for all we know. Jesus could have been a stoner, I don't know. I'm not gonna sit here an insult his name, because i repect people's beleifs, but when they force their beleifs upon others, it sucks."
I see what you are saying... and I have at times question what Jesus was really like at times in my mind... ( since the Bible doesnt really have much info on what Jesus was like when he was in his Late Teenage Years or even when he was in his Twentys )... we are forced to believe by faith that he was a squeaky clean Holy Man who did no wrong or evil...with no real background on what he did through those years in his life... that sometimes bother me"
Jesus' story is identical to that of  Moses, Socretes, Muhammad, Damien etc with just subtle changes to not make it TOO obvious. It's a complicated formula, but it seems to work. They all claim their god spoke to them, whereas I know a few people from mental institutions who would say the same, only thing is in our day and age we class that as crazy and mentally unstable.

How would Jesus be looked upon today?
#48 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa, the Vine has been busy...
 
Here's my two cents: The world doesn't need a religion, it needs a God, but not everyone knows God, and some people want to become God, so they make one up, but others create them (religions) to help guide their lives in a better direction and such.
 
Now I honestly think that it is from religions that we get morals, and without them, we'd be lost in a very anarchistic world.

#49 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18855 posts) - - Show Bio

There would be less wars.

#50 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@oldmagic said:
" pixelized said:
"a better place"
The world would still be fcked up....except it would be worse.  "
Gonna have to explain that one to me bud.
I can't see any genuine benefits to religion.
From terrorism to war by way of hatred and prejudice act performed by weak minded people told what to do by some voice from 2000 years in the past.
If ancient man hadn't created god the world would be a far better place today.
FACT!