#1 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you do if you want to help someone who's addicted to video games, (or anything for that matter), doesn't have any kind of a real life, and doesn't want to admit that they've got a problem? Obviously it's "their choice", that doesn't make it the right choice. Freeloading and ATTEMPTING to spend your entire life on playing doesn't help anyone, it hurts other people and makes you a lazy, worthless human being. If you don't at least work and try to make something of yourself and help others (even if only in a job way, such as helping your work-place run smoother), you might as well not exist at all.

What do I do to try and help people like this? I have a few examples in my life. One of them has made the argument that going to a friend's house to play Resident Evil constitutes "getting out of the house" or some baloney like that, even though it's just more video games.

#2 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Hold their hard drives hostage and make them chase you round a park a few times ;)

#3 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a friend whose brother is like that. Dropped out of college and does nothing but play video games all day, with the volume turned up so loud that you can hear it outside of the house. He's basically bumming off her mom and he rarely holds part time jobs. When he does, it's spent on more games and never into helping out with the bills. He doesn't help out around the house either and when she asks him to, he gets pissed. I say people like this need to be kicked out of their parents' house, slapped and forced to wake up to the real world. Realize that they need to assume some responsibility and sh-t.

#4 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

rehab?

#5 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you know why and how people get addicted?

#6 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he does.lol

#7 Posted by AssertingValor (5391 posts) - - Show Bio

Gamers will be gamers

#8 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4706 posts) - - Show Bio

Buy them PS Vitas. Now they can play Gravity Rush in the comfort of busy intersections.

#9 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5524 posts) - - Show Bio

Stop supporting their habit. They can't play any games if you move and leave them with no electricity.

#10 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4706 posts) - - Show Bio

@Guardiandevil83: They'll just adopt kids to play video games with them. Legally, the power company cannot turn off the power if you have children in the household.

Edit: I might be thinking of the water company.

#11 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5524 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@Guardiandevil83: They'll just adopt kids to play video games with them. Legally, the power company cannot turn off the power if you have children in the household.

Edit: I might be thinking of the water company.

Wish my water company thought the same a while back lol

#12 Posted by Deadite (23582 posts) - - Show Bio

Never let them own one in the first place. The other classmates would invite or talks about video game, however. It would made it harder to deny them from playing.

The younger they are when you enforce this, the easier it will be alter the behavior. They'll move on to other things, if they really are kids.

#13 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't enable them.

Make them earn their own money and pay their own way. For many that will make it so they cannot spend all their time on their addiction.

#14 Posted by King Saturn (224033 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Don't enable them.

Make them earn their own money and pay their own way. For many that will make it so they cannot spend all their time on their addiction.

interesting concept... the problem is the employment rate ( at least in the US currently ) is not very good... so even if they want to earn money to play their games... they may not be able to do so very easily...