What? Teach kids about hell?

• 68 results
marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What? Teach kids about hell? (44 votes)

Hell Yes 52%
Hell No 48%

Well when I was little, I was taught about hell. And I mean hell hell. The kind with Satan. I was also told about the Apocalypse too. The one with the four horsemen. Aaand I watched that movies with the rapture...Left Behind I think was the name. Anyways it's safe to say that stuff scared the hell out of me. But it can't be that simple. The point of Hell is to let people know what happens if you don't repent. As a kid plenty of things scare you anyway. Why not something that is actually real(in theory)? Should we leave it up to children to decide what religion they follow before pressuring them to join one? Just wondering...Should we teach children about Hell? If so, to what extent? Why? or Why not?

• 
TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to raise your kids in a religious manner in your house, so be it. But public schools need not and most certainly should not teach the scare tactic buffoonery that is the concept of infinite punishment for finite wrongdoing.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If its part of the religion you believe in than yes anybody who disagrees can gfts

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance:

You don't go to hell for wrong doing. You go to hell for not having faith in Jesus Christ.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

If you want to raise your kids in a religious manner in your house, so be it. But public schools need not and most certainly should not teach the scare tactic buffoonery that is the concept of infinite punishment for finite wrongdoing.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I came here to say.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we were not taught about hell but we experienced it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Wolverine008

Incoming jimmies rustled.

Avatar image for ssjdarthplagueis
SSJDarthPlagueis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's part of your religion then why wouldn't you mention it?

But never like how you go to hell for the little things and be tortured for all eternity.....very extreme don't you think?

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's taught correctly (as mythology), then yes.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I plan to teach my kids how archaic and superstitious people can be.

Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lesterlawton: Why strictly mythology? Some people, like myself, believe in hell but aren't scared of it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

This. Is. Ridiculous.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@lesterlawton: Why strictly mythology? Some people, like myself, believe in hell but aren't scared of it.

Believing in the tooth-fairy doesn't make it real.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance:

You don't go to hell for wrong doing. You go to hell for not having faith in Jesus Christ.

You go to hell for doing wrong and not repenting as well. Sinners of the world and all that.

In regards to raising children with specific belief systems, I truly believe that is the prerogative of the parent. By no means do I think it should undermine traditional schooling and I definitely agree that if belief systems are to be taught in public systems than they need to be all encompassing and respectful of the multiple different belief systems that there are. They shouldn't cater to one specific set.

Children should be allowed to change their minds but I don't see anything wrong with being raised as a believer in any religion. I was given a rather strict Roman-Catholic upbringing when I was very young because my grandmother is very religious. She's the one who took me to church, catechism classes, etc. But my mom always told me I could believe what I chose to believe but that she would like me to get confirmed simply because if one day I do want to get married in a catholic church, it would be easier having already gone through it at 14 rather then try to become a full member of the church as an adult. And I think that's a pretty practical view since a majority of people where I come from are of a Christian faith and church weddings are really common.

Practicality, respect and flexibility I think are really important when it comes to stuff like this.

Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raiiyn:

Christians believe those who have accepted Jesus Christ into their heart as their lord and savior are safe from hell.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Why bother wasting time to teach kids about a fictional place when they could learn something useful?
BB

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If hell forms a part of your belief system then you are going to teach it to your children just like you would teach them anything else you value.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Fallschirmjager

No.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that we should bring children up without religion and allow them to make up their own minds about what they do or don't believe in. So sure teach them about hell like you would the rest of christianity just don't shove it down their throats. And convince them they are going to go there if they don't subscribe to a particular dogma.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I wondered the same thing as a child but it is TRUE. If you tell a small lie and don't repent then you WILL go to hell(at least according to my religion). Likewise if you rape and murder 200 babies, and are truly sorry for your sins, and ask God for forgiveness then you can go to heaven(once again according to my religion).

Orician_Seis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehhh... I think raising a child without anything to believe in is detrimental. If they don't believe in anything as a child, they are less likely to as an adult. In the end its the parents call.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Children are easily impressionable. So i would say no, don't brainwash your children into fearing the invisible man in the sky. They may be ignorant for the rest of their lives.

But seriously if I was teaching my kids about lepricons in all seriousness everyone would think I was crazy, but my children would believe me. Because they are so impressionable! So don't teach your children anything untrue and call if fact. They'll believe you even if it's as ridiculous as the little green man at the end of the rainbow or the giant invisible man in the sky.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I wondered the same thing as a child but it is TRUE. If you tell a small lie and don't repent then you WILL go to hell(at least according to my religion). Likewise if you rape and murder 200 babies, and are truly sorry for your sins, and ask God for forgiveness then you can go to heaven(once again according to my religion).

That is a truly flawed and absurd morality system.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rogueshadow  Moderator

Just kill all children. Problem solved.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This so called "Hell" was only made to keep people in check in the Middle Ages.

It is complete BS.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Billy Batson

@jayc1324 said:

@billy_batson: Because some people believe in heaven and hell

Believing in them doesn't make them real, though.

BB

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader Hey, man. I'd rather follow Christ than burn in fire for eternity. If there is even a chance that God is real, then I don't want to be on his bad side like you. Don't get me wrong, that's not my only reason for worshiping Him, but it's definitely in my top five.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader Hey, man. I'd rather follow Christ than burn in fire for eternity. If there is even a chance that God is real, then I don't want to be on his bad side like you. Don't get me wrong, that's not my only reason for worshiping Him, but it's definitely in my top five.

As I said flawed morality system. :)

I'll stick to what is real thanks.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader I'm telling you man. You can't say for sure that he is not real. My gut tells me that he just might come. And if he comes I don't want anyone to make him angry. You know what really makes God angry? When people tell him that he isn't real. Man oh man, I'd hate to see you say that in the last days. smh lmfao

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader I'm telling you man. You can't say for sure that he is not real. My gut tells me that he just might come. And if he comes I don't want anyone to make him angry. You know what really makes God angry? When people tell him that he isn't real. Man oh man, I'd hate to see you say that in the last days. smh lmfao

Okay I am just going to tell you to stop now. I am not really in the mood for this bull right now. You have probably caught me at one of the worst times right now so I am gonna just end this here. Before I say something I could regret.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Marionettegeist

@youmessinwithme: Thank you.

How do some people not notice that the way religion is taught to small children is the literal definition of brainwashing?

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader Whoa Whoa Whoa. I didn't mean any harm, bra. You better calm that stuff down. I was joking. But if you wanna say somethin', then say it. I don't have any fear lol.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader Whoa Whoa Whoa. I didn't mean any harm, bra. You better calm that stuff down. I was joking. But if you wanna say somethin', then say it. I don't have any fear lol.

I have nothing to say I am just not in the mood for the whole hellfire and brimstone speech.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I plan on having a logical child. Telling him if he's bad he'll go to a place with fire and demons doesn't seems to be the best way of going about that.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I'm not voting either way. Hell should not be taught in public school, but you can teach your kid whatever religion you want. Just don't force it on everyone else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@erik said:

@kingjohnrocks said:

Believing in the tooth-fairy doesn't make it real.

Shots fired

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By MakkyD

The prodigal son parable explains why it's actually difficult to end up in hell, if at all. People need to stop taking the bible literally, it's poetry.

The system in my country is probably best. Teach children all religions/lack of religions equally. Raising your children to believe all religion is bull is the same as the brain washing that Atheists claim Theists do.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Kingjohnrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kingjohnrocks

@youmessinwithme:

So i would say no, don't brainwash your children into fearing the invisible man in the sky.

I agree. Let's not brainwash our kids about an invisible man in the sky because such an entity doesn't exist in ANY Religion.

God, in the Christian belief, is not in the sky. He resides in the heavens, the Spirit realm, which is in another dimension. Though, God is also everywhere(omnipresence) in the Christian belief. So, to say he's just in the sky is really illogical, as in the Christian belief he's everywhere but his main dwelling is in the heavens.

So don't teach your children anything untrue and call if fact

Who are you to say belief in Religion is untrue? Moral superiority fallacy, much?

They'll believe you even if it's as ridiculous as the little green man at the end of the rainbow or the giant invisible man in the sky.

It's a faulty analogy to compare "God" with a Leprechaun, and is also a form of mockery. Please present actual arguments instead of resorting to mockery.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

I plan to teach my kids how archaic and superstitious people can be.

Pretty much this.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KingWillie

I think that we should bring children up without religion and allow them to make up their own minds about what they do or don't believe in. So sure teach them about hell like you would the rest of christianity just don't shove it down their throats. And convince them they are going to go there if they don't subscribe to a particular dogma.

And this. Instead of indoctrinating them from birth... why not let people make their own decision, when they actually have the capacity to even understand it...?

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

@youmessinwithme: Thank you.

How do some people not notice that the way religion is taught to small children is the literal definition of brainwashing?

I have no Idea....

one of my only friends who completely believes admits he's been brainwashed by the church and he knows it's brainwashing and can't stop.

the Only other people I know are my dad, who is so ignorant he doesn't even think other people don't believe in god.

the only other person I know says he "knows" god exists, needles to say I consider him one of the dumbest and most ignorant people i've ever met.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rogueshadow  Moderator
@maccyd said:

The prodigal son parable explains why it's actually difficult to end up in hell, if at all. People need to stop taking the bible literally, it's poetry.

The system in my country is probably best. Teach children all religions/lack of religions equally. Raising your children to believe all religion is bull is the same as the brush washing that Atheists claim Theists do.

Poetry indeed:

'With a donkey's jawbone I have killed ten thousand men!'

'With a donkey's jawbone I have made asses of them!'

~ Samson.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And the Joker thought his jokes were bad...