Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

If it means getting information from scumbag terrorist, than what's the problem? These terrorist have harmed the lives of thousands of Americans and put our whole country at risk, as well as others. For what some of these guys have done, they deserved to be tortured.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I want to play a game.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Because people would get upset.. that's practically the only reason.. lol

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Torture something that is already banned by the Constitution, and the information garnered from it has been show to be incredibly shaky most of the time, so, yeah.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And America is SOOO innocent? No one "deserves" to be tortured (physically anyway).

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Mrnoital

one problem is that we often don't have proof that the people getting tortured are terrorists, some are, but when people get sent to guantanamo bay they don't get trial, they just need to be accused and in some cases that will be enough for torture

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It is a act of cruelty.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the words of Don Cherry:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189 said:

No Caption Provided

Oh I love that comment.

itsomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By itsomething

Because first world countries sometime deserve to get a little reminder

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Some people might actually enjoy it......

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's wrong when it turns wrong

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it matter? Sure isn't going to stop a Gov't from doing it. Nor should it really when you're dealing with extremists.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189 said:

No Caption Provided

The problem with Mr. Cherry's quote is that people with substantially larger amounts of experience in crime than him like specialized FBI directors, CIA workers, etc. have testified through experience that torture isn't a very effective means of information gaining, and a good deal of the information gained tends to be faulty, so besides breaking the law of the land(If we talk about the US here), using torture is trying something that doesn't work that well hoping all works out.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be morally wrong to torture someone. That's the problem.

Thread/

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Because Murica.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you even define what's right and wrong? Morals are what make a difference. Treat the enemy how you'd want to be treated -for your own moral's sake. If a soldier doesn't care, I'm not going to blame him for it.

@rd189 said:

No Caption Provided

The problem with Mr. Cherry's quote is that people with substantially larger amounts of experience in crime than him like specialized FBI directors, CIA workers, etc. have testified through experience that torture isn't a very effective means of information gaining, and a good deal of the information gained tends to be faulty, so besides breaking the law of the land(If we talk about the US here), using torture is trying something that doesn't work that well hoping all works out.

It's not like the guy has ever been captured himself... Just talking big is all.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you even define what's right and wrong? Morals are what make a difference. Treat the enemy how you'd want to be treated -for your own moral's sake. If a soldier doesn't care, I'm not going to blame him for it.

@wolverine08 said:

@rd189 said:

No Caption Provided

It's not like the guy has ever been captured himself... Just talking big is all.

But is he wrong. If the information saves even Canadian, or British, or Norweigian, or American soldier, is it not worth it?

They managed to cap Osama with info gleaned from torture.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@rd189 said:

No Caption Provided

lol

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

one problem is that we often don't have proof that the people getting tortured are terrorists, some are, but when people get sent to guantanamo bay they don't get trial, they just need to be accused and in some cases that will be enough for torture

Agreed, people who are tortured will eventually confess to anything. Couple that with the lack of evidence needed to select your "suspect" and there you have it.

There's also the aspect that we're supposed to be the "good guys" and a part of that is not lowering yourself to the level of your enemy. Or you could take the practical side which is that by torturing your prisoner it guarantees that any of your troops who get captured will definitely get tortured as an act of revenge.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@rd189 said:

But is he wrong. If the information saves even Canadian, or British, or Norweigian, or American soldier, is it not worth it?

They managed to cap Osama with info gleaned from torture.

What if one of the soldiers get captured by the terrorists? Do you think it's alright for them to torture him as well? It is saving some of their lives, after all.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it means getting information from scumbag terrorist, than what's the problem? These terrorist have harmed the lives of thousands of Americans and put our whole country at risk, as well as others. For what some of these guys have done, they deserved to be tortured.

No Caption Provided

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it means getting information from scumbag terrorist, than what's the problem? These terrorist have harmed the lives of thousands of Americans and put our whole country at risk, as well as others. For what some of these guys have done, they deserve to be tortured.

And this is where American patriotic idiots fail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_war_crimes

It's alright; send everyone to Guantanamo, as long as Americans keep their mouths shut whenever the Taliban torture US troops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cruel and unusual punishment anyone?

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

I agree with everything you say, but I don't believe he government can be trusted with this responsibility. Can you think of many politicians you trust? No? Then why would you think it's a good idea to give them the ability to torture people?

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Define "scumbag terrorist"

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone you want it to be.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kyrees

@bogey said:

@noone301994 said:

you scumbag terrorist!!! -points fingers at the two of you.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#30 SC  Moderator

Agreed, we should torture absolutely everyone, since everyone is a dishonest scumbag of some sort. How is my claim validated? Cause I think so. How do I know this? Err I just do, this motivations, their ideologies, their justifications and reasoning, the people who mislead and manipulate them, or mislead and manipulated me, who cares about that stuff, I don't have time for details and facts, lets just watercute and electroboard the hell out of brown people not only will it make me feel better and safer, but I can justify it in a way so that its making other people feel safer and by other people I mean people my family and friends and thats definitely the most important thing. Not that torture's reliability in getting results is poor thats not that important nor is the complicated ethical issues as far as the humane treatment of others and its short term and long term consequences.

Basically its safer if we just torture everyone, statistically if people are near death and locked up no one will have the energy let alone ability to hurt other people, that won't just include terrorists but petty criminals as well. Yey!

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

I don't have time for details and facts, lets just watercute and electroboardthe hell out of brown people not only will it make me feel better and safer, .

Basically its safer if we just torture everyone, statistically if people are near death and locked up no one will have the energy let alone ability to hurt other people, that won't just include terrorists but petty criminals as well. Yey!

I love your plan, you've got my vote!

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BeaconofStrength

The only torture I approve of is torture that involves complete isolation in a pitch black Anechoic chamber.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

We didn't need torture to defeat the Nazis I fail to see why we need it to stop a bunch of religious fanatics.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By consolemaster001

Only as a last resort or if peoples lives depend on it

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did I think this was going to be about BDSM....

It should be morally wrong to torture someone. That's the problem.

Thread/

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We don't actually know if that person is a terrorist or he's just framed, which is why torture is a bad idea and it's also morally wrong.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bogey said:

@noone301994 said:

That's exactly why I think it's wrong.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are lots of things wrong with a little torture.

A LOT of things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only reason I'd say torture is bad is because, according to those who've seen it, it doesn't get true information. I think some forms of torture should be OK though.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Xaos

@petey_is_spidey:

I'm against torture for the same reason that I'm against death penalty :

You start with the idea that the guy is guilty, but what if we find that he is innocent ?

Then, if this is only for the sake of information, there is better way, if this is for revenge, then we aren't better that those who fight and we are just hypocrites.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

Some people might actually enjoy it......

"OHHH MY NIPPLES ARE SO SORE!"

South Park <3

Oh don't torture me! You'll never get me to speak!

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It only gets bad when they don't actually have anything to tell.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#46 frozen  Moderator

The problem is that the CIA torture methods achieved absolutely nothing beneficial.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@rd189 said:

No Caption Provided

Oh I love that comment.

That man is a scumbag of the highest degree

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Wolverine008

@rd189: Sorry about taking a little while to get back to this. Sure, Osama Bin Laden was eliminated through information but we have to consider if that is an outlier rather than the average. The CIA is currently struggling to show that much useful information was gained from their use of more extreme torture methods. If you want further confirmation, look at what Ali Soufan(One of the FBI's most adept interrogators) had to say about torturing an Al Qaeda suspect Abu Zubaydah and how he was producing useful information until he was bombarded by extreme tactics like waterboarding.

"When they are in pain, people will say anything to get the pain to stop. Most of the time, they will lie, make up anything to make you stop hurting them. That means the information you're getting is useless."

I'm all for saving lives, but I think we can do through more verifiable/proven successful methods and ones that are less immoral as well, along with not violating the US Consitution.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#49  Edited By SC  Moderator

What's wrong with a little terrorism?

If it means teaching other countries that their greedy, scumbag, warmongers, politicians can't just invade other countries and kill indiscriminately, than what's the problem? These first world countries like America have harmed the lives of thousands millions of other countries innocents and put dozens of whole country at risk, as well as others. For what some of these guys have done, they deserved to be terrorized.

See how easy it is to flip the script? Except with above and… certain other sentiments shared in this thread its not that simple or easy. If you think it is that simple and easy then there is a strong chance you don't really understand the issue. Its complicated, it weighs the concepts of freedom and safety against each other, it involves defining what is humane as far as individuals basic human rights and urgency versus moderation. Another thing if you live in a first world country, you don't have to worry about terrorism. Terrorism although frightening and the killing of innocents is something that is very horrible, statistically its something you not only do not need to worry about but actually worry about too much. Home accidents, drowning, obesity, car accidents, are much bigger dangers to you and your loved ones. Don't misunderstand news/media coverage as an accurate reflection of reality, news ironically much like reality TV is only suppose to show you the notable stuff, and freak stuff etc. As to the actual acts well, broad complicated subject, may be instances where it might be ethical and beneficial to more people overall, but you have to weigh that against situations its neither of those and/or the opposite and don't forget the attitudes and motivations people can have for such things can be terribly flawed and ignorant.

I forgot I already posted in this thread.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@sc said:

I don't have time for details and facts, lets just watercute and electroboardthe hell out of brown people not only will it make me feel better and safer, .

I love your plan, you've got my vote!

Mine too.

I haven't been tortured in months.

I'm down for a good cattle prodding.