#1 Edited by Cobalion (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Ecco the dolphin creepy music atmosphere water gets darker, sharks out of nowhere, not able to tell between enemy or NPC and the Vortex Queen screams and I was like seven when I first played and was scared to in the pool because thought she was in there.

The blue whale and orca in the first level which were harmless freaked me out.

Silent Hill, duh. It isn't voted scariest game franchise for nothing

#2 Posted by BumpyBoo (8101 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes DEFINITELY Silent Hill, hehe, I love horror games and have played a ton of them but none quite creep me out like the SH series.

#3 Posted by Cobalion (188 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: I've played quite a few horrors myself and I do enjoy them. Some games that aren't intentionally horrors can be scary to. Ecco and resident evil are good examples

#4 Edited by BumpyBoo (8101 posts) - - Show Bio

@cobalion: That's true actually, I have played a few games like that. Tenchu was one of them. Not intended to be a horror game, but I remember on the first game there was one level full of weird, crazy cult members that really set my nerves on edge. Also when I was little, old FPS games like Doom and Duke Nukem used to scare me a bit too hehe. Feels silly saying it now :P

#5 Posted by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Penumbra - had that creepy mood and Silent Hill

#6 Posted by Oscuro (895 posts) - - Show Bio

Resident Evil 3 Nemesis. Playing that sh-t in the dark at like 1 a.m. was not the best idea. All the creaks and noises that a house makes just blend in with the noises and music of the game. Add in about 15 feet of pitch black basement behind you and there is a recipe for a night of unwarranted jumps and looks

#7 Posted by TDK_1997 (14649 posts) - - Show Bio

Silent Hill.The movie and the game are both really scary and disturbing.Great creations that I adore.

#8 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Silent Hill's pretty freaky, agreed. Played a bit of Amnesia but kinda got bored haha.

Dead Space's first level when you're still new to everything was pretty tense. The entire game has got a great sense of dread overall.

#9 Posted by Cobalion (188 posts) - - Show Bio

Duke Nukkem was scary for a six year old, like I was, doom, kingdom hearts scared me a bit lol, I'm ashamed to admit to it.

The metal shark in Banjo Kazooie, scared the f**k out of me!

I'm such a scaredy cat -_-

#10 Edited by Jean199999 (547 posts) - - Show Bio

@hel said:

Penumbra - had that creepy mood and Silent Hill

Yeah I think the penumbra series are the most creepy to me

#11 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

the silent hill series are the best. buuuuuut for some reason bioshock was scary to me, especially when those teleporting magicians started popping up.

#12 Posted by JohnnyGat (1562 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was a kid I played Fatal Frame, playing it again years later it didn't have the same impact but it was still the most scared I was in a videogame. Other than that Dino Crisis.

#13 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1639 posts) - - Show Bio

Resident Evil as a little kid. Dead Space recently. The most scared I've ever been is when I played a demo of Silent Hill: The Room. My hands were literally shaking with the suspense.

#14 Posted by Joygirl (19286 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't generally play horror games so I'll say BioShock.

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the scariest game ever made. This isn't just my opinion but an actual fact.

#16 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20120 posts) - - Show Bio

Custer's Revenge is scarring.

#17 Posted by 14NC3 (1748 posts) - - Show Bio

Silent hill as a child

At times the F.E.A.R. games scared the shit outta me, especially when I was a kid. F£%K you Alma for making me sleep under the covers throughout my childhood.

The last of us had some jumpscares. Same with Bioshock.

Deadspace scares the shit outta me at times.

#18 Edited by Bruxae (13165 posts) - - Show Bio

Phantasmagoria: A Puzzle Of Flesh.

I dont really play many horror games though.

@jonny_anonymous it really isnt a fact, since there's no such thing in this case. Different things work on different people its really just a matter of opinion.

#19 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17792 posts) - - Show Bio

video games never seem to scare me.

i've had jump scares but that's about it, no lasting effect

#20 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Re4 only because of the atmosphere and some of DeadSpace

#21 Posted by HellionVulcan (3714 posts) - - Show Bio

Resident Evil Silent Hill & the two Obscure games pretty much the best horror games i have ever played .

#22 Edited by Ratatat (697 posts) - - Show Bio

Manhunt

#23 Edited by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Little Big Planet... Ask if you want the details.

#24 Posted by Dabee (2383 posts) - - Show Bio

@cobalion: I forgot all about Ecco. Are you talking about the 2d or 3d one? The 3d one was the one that freaked me out as a kid.

The scariest game for me was the game Alien 3 on the Sega Genesis. I was pretty young, so aliens vomiting on me was pretty freaky.

@tikhunt said:

Also details, please.

#25 Posted by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio

White Day.

#26 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

This.

Although I was pretty freaked out playing RE4 but that was more about not wanting to get killed in the game rather than real fear.

#27 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17792 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

This.

Although I was pretty freaked out playing RE4 but that was more about not wanting to get killed in the game rather than real fear.

i'd put "fear" in a category where you freak out over a Crack sound in your house even though you hear the sound every day. but a Video game hasn't really affected me that way, i've never been freak out that much. Jump Scares? sure, and i always get the heart racing sensation when i'm deep in a game, doesn't matter if it's a HUlk, spider-man, batman or Horror Game. It could Be a shooter game like Halo or Max payne 3. but that's not The lasting effect i was talking about :P

#28 Posted by russellmania77 (14840 posts) - - Show Bio

Silent hill back in the day

#29 Edited by WarBlade539 (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@14nc3 said:

Silent hill as a child

At times the F.E.A.R. games scared the shit outta me, especially when I was a kid. F£%K you Alma for making me sleep under the covers throughout my childhood.

The last of us had some jumpscares. Same with Bioshock.

Deadspace scares the shit outta me at times.

Yes. F.E.A.R was and still is one of the best FPSs ever made. Love that game so much. And I remember when it came out, people had to buy new GPUs to run it. And those jump scares! The coolest part is that you can miss those if you don't pay close attention.

#30 Posted by WarBlade539 (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@tikhunt said:

Details, Sir/Ma'am?

#31 Edited by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee, @darkazrael999 said:

@tikhunt said:

Details, Sir/Ma'am?

It was a cold and dark night in a small council flat in Lewisham, England when a 14 year old child decided to put on a very innocent game often referred to in hushed voices as Little Big Planet, this young boy henceforth known as McDevilspawn had three friends over one of which was the brave and handsome Sir Tikhunt. At first the game was going just swell with McDevilspawn finding some friendly competitive user created levels including Total Wipeout and Bomb the Tower both of which required the players to survive whilst avoiding obstacles, gaining the most points and finishing in the fastest time. Sir Tikhunt the handsome was having fun and was securing the most victories when disaster struck and McDevilspawn thought it would be a good idea to turn off the lights and force Sir Tikhunt and his friends to play some levels sent forth by Satan himself (anyone with any sort of innocence or sanity should not read the names of those levels for fear of soul loss you have been warned) the names of these Satan created levels were 2012 End of the World and Dead Space. .

It was a time of pure horror as the dreaded ideas from both Hel and Davey Jone's locker were unleashed upon the unsuspecting players in a fest of murder and villainy. In the panic and fear none of the three friends noticed what McDevilspawn was doing when all of a sudden a blood curdling scream was heard from right behind them, all of them jumped in confused horror as they turned to see their supposed friend wearing a fake blood covered Scream mask just as they had heard the shriek coming from both the game and McDevilspawn's phone. Three innocent young boys entered that house, three helpless young victims left it.

TL;DR McDevilspawn is a douche.

#32 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4228 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't played many horror games recently but the original Silent Hill on PSone is still the spookiest to me. Everything in that game is bent on freaking you out. From the weird camera angles to the lackluster combat controls oh and that static coming from your radio thing, yeah one of those naked pterodactyls is about to bomb in and wreck you.

#33 Posted by WarBlade539 (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

@tikhunt said:

@dabee, @darkazrael999 said:

@tikhunt said:

Details, Sir/Ma'am?

It was a cold and dark night in a small council flat in Lewisham, England when a 14 year old child decided to put on a very innocent game often referred to in hushed voices as Little Big Planet, this young boy henceforth known as McDevilspawn had three friends over one of which was the brave and handsome Sir Tikhunt. At first the game was going just swell with McDevilspawn finding some friendly competitive user created levels including Total Wipeout and Bomb the Tower both of which required the players to survive whilst avoiding obstacles, gaining the most points and finishing in the fastest time. Sir Tikhunt the handsome was having fun and was securing the most victories when disaster struck and McDevilspawn thought it would be a good idea to turn off the lights and force Sir Tikhunt and his friends to play some levels sent forth by Satan himself (anyone with any sort of innocence or sanity should not read the names of those levels for fear of soul loss you have been warned) the names of these Satan created levels were 2012 End of the World and Dead Space. .

It was a time of pure horror as the dreaded ideas from both Hel and Davey Jone's locker were unleashed upon the unsuspecting players in a fest of murder and villainy. In the panic and fear none of the three friends noticed what McDevilspawn was doing when all of a sudden a blood curdling scream was heard from right behind them, all of them jumped in confused horror as they turned to see their supposed friend wearing a fake blood covered Scream mask just as they had heard the shriek coming from both the game and McDevilspawn's phone. Three innocent young boys entered that house, three helpless young victims left it.

TL;DR McDevilspawn is a douche.

*gasps* You poor thing!

Don't worry, I will personally deal with this fiend, this...this...McDevilspawn.

#34 Posted by Cobalion (188 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: The First game. I have played them all, finished the first, second one didn't finish the level with the castle wall, the 3rd one I finished but took me a loong time lol.

Caves that got darker and getting lost running out of air dying, the music put me at ease at least lol. Still scary but I don't think it was intentionally scary either.

#35 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Silent Hill 2 for sure

#36 Edited by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: Hehe it sounds like a very simple thing now but when you're playing a game where you have to listen out for every sound a scream in your ear is startling.

#37 Posted by ARMIV2 (8411 posts) - - Show Bio

...Probably Doom 3 still. I haven't played many horror games.

#38 Edited by OverLordArhas (7670 posts) - - Show Bio

Resident Evil 1 in PS1

The dog leaping inside the corridor through the window made me drop my controller, believe me, I never drop my controller.