What's more believable: God or Big Bang Theory

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

Poll What's more believable: God or Big Bang Theory (24 votes)

An All Powerful God Who has no beginning nor end 25%
Or an atom that started the Universe 67%
Both are at the same level of believeness 13%
Both are dumb 8%

At church a while back, my pastor said that it takes more faith to believe that an atom just came out of nowhere and created the universe than to believe that God exist. But is i really?

I mean what Christians, and a lot of monotheistic religions, are basically saying that their God is older than time and has no beginning, and was always here. What?? I'm sorry, but to me at least that is just as "dumb"(if those are your choice of words) as an atom appearing out of no where

• 
Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

1. The big bang theory is supported by a massive amount of evidence, and is nothing like what you described up there.

2. The big bang theory has nothing to do with the existence of God/Gods.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DBVSE7

I wonder how this thread is going to end.. (sarcasm). Knowing the mods they'll probably just make it last more than 10 pages.

The Big Bang and Genisis are not parallels.

An Atom just appearing out of no where makes less sense than a higher power creating something humans barely understand.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MakkyD

They're too different to compare. One is a philosophical concept, the other is a scientific one. You can disprove the big bang theory but you can't ever truly disprove the ideal of a diety.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I mean what Christians, and a lot of monotheistic religions, are basically saying that their God is older than time and has no beginning, and was always here. What?? I'm sorry, but to me at least that is just as "dumb"(if those are your choice of words) as an atom appearing out of no where

Neither are dumb. They're thinking beyond what's in front of you.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Amen.

Kaioblitz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kaioblitz4

The description the OP has given for the Big Bang is inaccurate.

@maccyd said:

They're too different to compare. One is a philosophical concept, the other is a scientific one. You can disprove the big bang theory but you can't ever truly disprove the ideal of a diety.

By that logic we cannot disprove an invisible, intangible, and undetectable flying cupcake floating around our universe that is the size of a house.

Kaioblitz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7 said:

I wonder how this thread is going to end.. (sarcasm). Knowing the mods they'll probably just make it last more than 10 pages.

An Atom just appearing out of no where makes less sense than a higher power creating something humans barely understand.

Of course it makes less sense, because an atom never appeared out of nowhere. OP's description of the Big Bang is incorrect.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaioblitz4: It's nice to meet someone who knows what they're talking about :).

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Chew. Cause its the only one to have on panel feats.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There needs to be another Big Bang that takes out that horrible show.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The Big Bang Theory because there's a lot of evidence to support it.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Big bang theory. It's a speculation - but one based on facts unlike God.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By micah007123

@symbioticspider-man said:

Amen.

Signed.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Even though I'm an Agnostic Deist, a Big Bang isn't mutually exclusive with the idea of a creator.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By frozen  Moderator

The Big Bang theory is a Scientific theory based on substantial evidence, and is most likely the explanation for how The Universe began. It is much more concrete than the idea of a creator. Also the OP definition of The Big Bang is inaccurate, as others have said.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread should have way more comments.

Kaioblitz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread should have way more comments.

We've had ten dozen threads about religion, evolution, and the Big Bang over the past year. People are getting tired.

@laflux said:

Even though I'm an Agnostic Deist, a Big Bang isn't mutually exclusive with the idea of a creator.

Yes. The Pope has said this too.

"When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so, he created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment. The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it. Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve."

- Pope Francis

In fact, the Big Bang was an idea first proposed by a Catholic priest, Georges Lemaître.

@dbvse7 said:

@kaioblitz4: It's nice to meet someone who knows what they're talking about :).

Not sure if sarcasm or...

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both require faith

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oblivously the atom at face value is more believable since its rooted in science, but that's why religion requires faith. You either believe it or you don't, it's not about math and science it's about if it feels right in your heart and soul.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaioblitz4:

By that logic we cannot disprove an invisible, intangible, and undetectable flying cupcake floating around our universe that is the size of a house.

The idea of a all powerful deity is heavily ingrained in culture, our ancestors believed it so many of us decide too. We can clearly trace the origin of any attempted modern religion,.

It ultimately boils down to this, if there is a god and free will exists then an atheist would be debating the matter with someone who has faith, if there isn't then there is just 2 pre-programmed lumps of flesh trying to exert dominance, if the latter is right then it makes no difference.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister: Yep.

I prefer the idea of free will by a large margin, who wants to be a preprogrammed flesh lump?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wolverine008

@lukehero said:

@dextersinister: Yep.

I prefer the idea of free will by a large margin, who wants to be a preprogrammed flesh lump?

I thought you were Muslim Luke?

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@laflux said:

This I agree with.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: I am Muslim; Allah gave man free will. Which is why there is a heaven and hell.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: I am, Allah gave man free will. Which is why there is a heaven and hell. Each person chooses their fate with the choices they make in this life.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Facts over BS.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Ok, I've posted this answe like twice and it didn't post lol. What's going on?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something is wrong with this thread; posts aren't showing up.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@wolverine08: Ok, I've posted this answe like twice and it didn't post lol. What's going on?

LOL, I saw it in my mentions brah.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@dbvse7 said:

Of course it makes less sense, because an atom never appeared out of nowhere. OP's description of the Big Bang is incorrect.

My bad for the incorrect description of an atom. I was hurrying to make the thread and really just typed the first thing that came to mind.

Kaioblitz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God is a fantasy.

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific idea inspired by observation and mathematics. It is supported by massive amounts of evidence, logic, and scrutiny from scientists all over the world.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dshipp17

The most believable is that God created the universe. In all other cases except this one, scientists say that it is preposterous to believe that something came from nothing. I see it as an all-powerful being with no beginning or end is just a hard concept to grasp, while something coming from nothing just has no logical foundation.

Using my background in chemistry, even if I were to accept that something came from nothing, in the case of the Big Bang, comparing most planets, those that we clearly observe in our solar system, matched to those found during planet hunting, matched to Earth, I find the odds just too improbable; by comparison, the Earth is vastly unique; why life just on Earth? Why not Venus or Mars? Or, why would life cease to exist on Venus and Mars, but not Earth?

Than, at the basic subatomic and atomic levels, the odds are staggeringly against the formation of life, as we know it; life requires highly complicated and ordered atomic and molecular arrangements. And than, chemistry , physics, or biology can't explain what exactly sparked life from these lifeless molecular arrangements.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@dshipp17: Did you not claim that you existed with God and Jesus before The Universe existed. If so, please explain that claim...

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kaioblitz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kaioblitz4

@dshipp17 said:

The most believable is that God created the universe. In all other cases except this one, scientists say that it is preposterous to believe that something came from nothing. I see it as an all-powerful being with no beginning or end is just a hard concept to grasp, while something coming from nothing just has no logical foundation.

Using my background in chemistry, even if I were to accept that something came from nothing, in the case of the Big Bang, comparing most planets, those that we clearly observe in our solar system, matched to those found during planet hunting, matched to Earth, I find the odds just too improbable; by comparison, the Earth is vastly unique; why life just on Earth?Why not Venus or Mars? Or, why would life cease to exist on Venus and Mars, but not Earth?

Than, at the basic subatomic and atomic levels, the odds are staggeringly against the formation of life, as we know it; life requires highly complicated and ordered atomic and molecular arrangements. And than, chemistry , physics, or biology can't explain what exactly sparked life from these lifeless molecular arrangements.

The answer to your question is far too obvious, elementary school students can probably answer that. Ever heard of the Goldilocks zone?

Also, the odds aren't as staggeringly low as you think. The building blocks for life are actually quite common as new discoveries are showing.

Life at its utmost basic form didn't start off as complex as you say it is, we began as amino acids before it gradually evolved over the course of billions of years to the point where we are today.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"An atom that started the universe" your ignorance is scary.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Threads like these aren't good anymore.

There's too many of 'em.

Kaioblitz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"An atom that started the universe" your ignorance is scary.

The funny part is that atoms weren't even existent when the universe was first created.

Kaioblitz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: @sc: @renchamp: @god_spawn: @bumpyboo: This is a dupe thread.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic-5/why-do-the-big-bang-and-religion-seem-incompatable-1623185/

This is somewhat of a different question, it's asking users which is more believable as opposed to why the two seem incompatible.

With that said, knowing the sheer amount of religion/science threads on the Vine, chances are that somewhere this thread was made too.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dshipp17

@mortein said:

1. The big bang theory is supported by a massive amount of evidence, and is nothing like what you described up there.

Please explain, what is this massive amount of evidence that that supports the Big Bang? Keyword, evidence.

@bruxae said:

I agree that the Big Bang is speculation; facts and evidence are not necessarily the same as a speculation. Many facts support God. There are several websites full of facts supporting God.

@frozen said:

@dshipp17: Did you not claim that you existed with God and Jesus before The Universe existed. If so, please explain that claim...

Yes, I did; but I'm forbidden from explaining it in great detail. Are you willing to take a look at the Book of Enoch? If so, what does the Book of Enoch say about God? In order to answer this question, you only need to read the beginning of the Book of Enoch; I'll attempt to explain some, as you present to me what the Book of Enoch says about God. I may be wrong, but I sense honesty in your question.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_stegman  Moderator

God triggered the Big Bang.

Kaioblitz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@mortein said:

Please explain, what is this massive amount of evidence that that supports the Big Bang? Keyword, evidence.

@bruxae said:

I agree that the Big Bang is speculation; facts and evidence are not necessarily the same as a speculation. Many facts support God. There are several websites full of facts supporting God.

@frozen said:

Yes, I did; but I'm forbidden from explaining it in great detail. Are you willing to take a look at the Book of Enoch? If so, what does the Book of Enoch say about God. In order to answer this question, you only need to read the beginning of the Book of Enoch. I may be wrong, but I sense honesty in your question.

Would you care to show us some facts that support the existence of God?

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mandarinestro
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@dshipp17: So.....you're forbidden from explaining how you existed with God and Jesus before The Universe existed if I do not read 'The Book of Enoch'?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Anyone here read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? Remember the bit where Mxy explains that the little imp in a bowler hat is just how he presents himself to 3D beings because they can't conceive of his true form, and manifests his real body, which Lois Lane cannot properly describe because there is no human way to explain what a 5D being looks like?

That's exactly what happens when people make self-assured statements like "God is a fantasy" or "There is no proof that God exists". Regardless of whether or not God exists, the nature of God --- specifically the nature as defined by claims about God --- is such that no human could ever collect proof that God exists even if such proof were available in the universe. You're a 3D being at the mercy of the constraints of space and time trying to visualize a being of undefined dimensions that allegedly has no limits whatsoever. It's like a blind man deciding light isn't real because he can't see it. Humans collect proof through the tools available to them; what human tool even exists to collect proof about a God? And how do you decide there's no proof without even having the tools to determine that?

For the same reason most theological conceptions of God are probably false as well; it's highly unlikely a God is an old man with a flowing white beard because humans think he is, since we're a speck of dust in an impossibly vast universe and simply not important enough for an omnipotent entity to model itself after. That particular bit of the tale is indeed a fantasy. But whether an omnipotent being that created all of reality exists or not is not a question anyone who has ever lived can really answer in one way or another. Theoretical physicists and high school dropouts are being equally stupid when they try to give "yes" or "no" answers to that question.