• 58 results
_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By _Gaff_

We all secretly wish we were a Martial Arts master. Which one would you like to be trained in?

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CaptainUzi

I've been trained in and mastered Wing Chun's chum kiu form. I've gotten the basics of Tiger style from the southern shaolin 5 animal styles. I suppose I'd either finish learning Tiger and it's substyle leopard or maybe change to Krav Maga for some grappling since Wing Chun is mostly striking and clinching.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was a kid I did tie qwan do.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Baritsu or MAC

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By _Gaff_

@captainuzi: Do you knowany thing about Hapkido? That the one i want to learn.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_gaff_ said:

@captainuzi: Do you knowany thing about Hapkido? That the one i want to learn.

I know hapkido is the art of cane fighting, and I've also been told that you'll need a cane before you master it lol.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogueshadow  Moderator

I trained in Judo & Karate for a few years, I'd like to go back & master them. Aside from that, Baritsu, Bagua & Ninjitsu.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I trained in Judo & Karate for a few years, I'd like to go back & master them. Aside from that, Baritsu, Bagua & Ninjitsu.

Not supposed to mention that one Sihan.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Would like to start ninjutsu and kung fu.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep in mind, there are a few styles you're not supposed to mention. They're intended to be used as trump cards, last resorts, and unofficial part of your style.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CaptainUzi

@_gaff_:

Considering what I went through for orientation, this was when Jackie was first beginning in Hapkido. I'll bet you my life that he still hasn't mastered it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Drunken Boxing

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perethorn:

Oooh, the 7 drunken gods is very tough, but very good. Are you familiar with it at all?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Any of the ones where I get to use a sword.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Muay Boran

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith:

Look into kendo then. Or maybe even fencing. Or if you wanna be REALLY good, you can master one then master the other.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainuzi: I actually did do fencing once:

Yes, this is me.
Yes, this is me.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@_gaff_: It was for the scoring system.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Sur vos gardes puis, mon ami. J'ai beaucoup de pratique dans le kendo. :D

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CaptainUzi

My Kendo vs your fencing, or any fencing really, would be an interesting match,

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Master? Like master master? Ninjutsu I guess.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Master? Like master master? Ninjutsu I guess.

Seriously, it's like breaking the first rule of fight club. Ninjas are anon, they don't like to be identified.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#26  Edited By Joygirl

@captainuzi: Yeah well I wouldn't tell anyone once I WAS a ninja. I'd just, y'know, be a ninja.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krav Maga + combat chi= human tank

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm doing muay thai right now.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Guardiandevil83

Wing Chun. Muay Thai, Shotokan

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krav Maga

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kung Fu as a whole if anyone could truly master it they'd be the best MA/fighter in history.

Mr_Winchester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MMA.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whatever style michael jai white knows.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fisticuffs!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_stegman  Moderator

Baguazhang

TheThe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ai ki do! It suits me the most, even though i used to practice Kwan ki do.

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muay thai, Brazilian or american jiu-jitsu and TKD, i don't know if you'd consider boxing a martial art or something you could master either, but i'd definitely like to get better at boxing and kick boxing. Judo and college wrestling are impoirtant too but not what i'd be looking to learn first.

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whichever one that is used to make you use your environment as a weapon.

DoomGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DoomGuy

JKD

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in Silat Gayong or Muay Thai... both are really freaking interesting. Wing Chun is cool and all, but i've never really seen any kicking 'game' involved, do correct me if i'm wrong.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Deadite

Dim Mak, the touch of death. Don't know if it's real or if it's practical enough in real combat, but if it's real, I would like to learn how to use it.

The Touch of Death (or Death-Point Striking) refers to any martial arts technique reputed to kill using seemingly less than lethal force targeted at specific areas of the body.

(Link from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_of_DeathClaims of Practicability:

There have been a number of martial artists claiming to practice the technique in reality, beginning in the 1960s, when the term was advertised alongside the English translation "The Death Touch" by American eccentric Count Dante.

In 1985, an article in Black Belt magazine speculated that the death of Bruce Lee, in 1973, might have been caused by "a delayed reaction to a Dim-Mak strike he received several weeks prior to his collapse". Other authors, as well, have said the death of Bruce Lee may have been due to a "Quivering Palm technique"[3] (alongside an article about Cai li fo instructor Wong Doc-Fai) to the effect that "dim mak does actually exist and is still taught to a few select kung fu practitioners."[4] A 1986 book on qi identifies dim mak as "one of the secret specialities" of wing chun.[5]

In ca. 1990, Taika Seiyu Oyata founded the style of Ryū-te which involves "pressure point fighting" (Kyūshojutsu). In the 1990s, karate instructor George Dillman developed a style that involves kyūshojutsu, a term that he identifies with Dim-Mak. Dillman eventually went as far as claiming to have developed qi-based attacks that work without physical contact ("no-touch knockout" techniques), a claim that did not stand up to third-party investigation and was consequently denounced as fraudulent.[6]

Also, during the late 1980s, Erle Montaigue (1949-2011[7]) published a number of books and instruction videos on Dim Mak with Paladin Press. Montaigue claims to be "the first Westerner to be granted the degree of 'Master' in taijiquan", awarded by Master Wang Xin-Wu in 1985. According to Montaigue's own account, Dim-Mak is an aspect of traditional old Yang style Taji Quan which he claims he began learning in 1978 from a master called Chiang Yiu-chun. Montaigue stated this man was an illegal immigrant, making his existence difficult to verify. Erle subsequently learned the remaining "qi disruptive" forms of Wudang Shan from Liang Shih-kan in 1995.[8] Paladin Press has other titles on the topic of Dim Mak, including Kelly (2001) and Walker and Bauer (2002), both with a foreword by Montaigue.

Tai Chi

Krav Maga

And learn how to throw Shuriken.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I'm interested in Silat Gayong or Muay Thai... both are really freaking interesting. Wing Chun is cool and all, but i've never really seen any kicking 'game' involved, do correct me if i'm wrong.

Kicking in real life is pointless anyways.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I've actually achieved master rank in Tae Kwon Do, but I would really loved to master Krav Maga. The efficient brutality of it is beautiful.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wing Chun, Escrima or just plain old Kung Fu perhaps.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already a black belt in kyokushin and around 2nd Dan (lakan) in Kali. So yeah, being a master in those arts would be great. And no, being a black belt doesn't give you the right to call yourself 'master'.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShootingNova

I do have some martial arts skill but Ninjutsu sounds like fun, though it'd be quite taxing on my time, and on me....

I think I could do skills 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 10, 11, 14, 16, 17 and 18 (mainly because I can do some of these thanks to prior martial art training). I'm not exactly sure how to accomplish skill 1 because well, it can be a bit broad, but it's plausible that I could succeed. I'm also not fully sure what some of the other skills are.

I also did a bit of fencing (I know its more of a sport than a martial art) but the rules seem a little restrictive, I mean, its refreshing but maybe its a bit different from the less limited martial arts I'm used to.

Kendo seems interesting but it seems a little bit like fencing. And I also don't like shouting whenever I attack.

CaptainUzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CaptainUzi
@deadite said:

Dim Mak, the touch of death. Don't know if it's real or if it's practical enough in real combat, but if it's real, I would like to learn how to use it.

The Touch of Death (or Death-Point Striking) refers to any martial arts technique reputed to kill using seemingly less than lethal force targeted at specific areas of the body.

(Link from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_of_DeathClaims of Practicability:

There have been a number of martial artists claiming to practice the technique in reality, beginning in the 1960s, when the term was advertised alongside the English translation "The Death Touch" by American eccentric Count Dante.

In 1985, an article in Black Belt magazine speculated that the death of Bruce Lee, in 1973, might have been caused by "a delayed reaction to a Dim-Mak strike he received several weeks prior to his collapse". Other authors, as well, have said the death of Bruce Lee may have been due to a "Quivering Palm technique"[3] (alongside an article about Cai li fo instructor Wong Doc-Fai) to the effect that "dim mak does actually exist and is still taught to a few select kung fu practitioners."[4] A 1986 book on qi identifies dim mak as "one of the secret specialities" of wing chun.[5]

In ca. 1990, Taika Seiyu Oyata founded the style of Ryū-te which involves "pressure point fighting" (Kyūshojutsu). In the 1990s, karate instructor George Dillman developed a style that involves kyūshojutsu, a term that he identifies with Dim-Mak. Dillman eventually went as far as claiming to have developed qi-based attacks that work without physical contact ("no-touch knockout" techniques), a claim that did not stand up to third-party investigation and was consequently denounced as fraudulent.[6]

Also, during the late 1980s, Erle Montaigue (1949-2011[7]) published a number of books and instruction videos on Dim Mak with Paladin Press. Montaigue claims to be "the first Westerner to be granted the degree of 'Master' in taijiquan", awarded by Master Wang Xin-Wu in 1985. According to Montaigue's own account, Dim-Mak is an aspect of traditional old Yang style Taji Quan which he claims he began learning in 1978 from a master called Chiang Yiu-chun. Montaigue stated this man was an illegal immigrant, making his existence difficult to verify. Erle subsequently learned the remaining "qi disruptive" forms of Wudang Shan from Liang Shih-kan in 1995.[8] Paladin Press has other titles on the topic of Dim Mak, including Kelly (2001) and Walker and Bauer (2002), both with a foreword by Montaigue.

Tai Chi

Krav Maga

Now you've earned yourself a fist bump!
From what I've been told and read about myself, the dim mak does exist. But I've never seen it. I know that no one could really differentiate it from a regular punch. I've never been taught the technique because my sifu did not know it. Or at least he claimed not to, and just didn't teach me it.

Shurikan are actually easy to throw.

Start with the knives, about 9" long and from about 10-12 feet away, do a quick flick of your of wrist with the blade loosely sitting between your thumb and index. And make sure your do a quick flick. You should make it stick right in.

The shurikan is essentially the same thing, just held by the knuckle as opposed to the finger tips.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Deadite

@captainuzi said:
@deadite said:

Tai Chi

Krav Maga

Now you've earned yourself a fist bump!

From what I've been told and read about myself, the dim mak does exist. But I've never seen it. I know that no one could really differentiate it from a regular punch. I've never been taught the technique because my sifu did not know it. Or at least he claimed not to, and just didn't teach me it.

Shurikan are actually easy to throw.

Start with the knives, about 9" long and from about 10-12 feet away, do a quick flick of your of wrist with the blade loosely sitting between your thumb and index. And make sure your do a quick flick. You should make it stick right in.

The shurikan is essentially the same thing, just held by the knuckle as opposed to the finger tips.

I forgot to add Wing Chun to my list. If the moves are the same as the ones that's used in IP Man then I'm interested.

Wow, didn't know you actually practice martial art, and you know how to throw Shurikan, that's amazing :)

Fist-bump accepted!!

I heard from somewhere that it's best to keep it as a secret if you have actually learned something like Dim Mak. It's like giving another tool for the opposing attorney to use to bring doubts to the jury, when you're a suspect or whatever.