#1 Edited by sagejonathan (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be my last book report in high school and I'd like to read something particularly great. I read all kinds of books really. My last 3 book reports, I chose to read Frankenstein, Deception Point, and As You Like It. I buy all my books so it would be a bonus if there was a leatherbound or cool hardcover edition of the book. Recommend away.

P.S. Keep the books about 500 pages or less. I have other things to do too :)

#2 Posted by Joygirl (20146 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Flowers for Algernon. Also, random plug because I write novellas: http://www.amazon.com/author/ravyn

#3 Posted by russellmania77 (15746 posts) - - Show Bio
@joygirl said:

I loved Flowers for Algernon. Also, random plug because I write novellas: http://www.amazon.com/author/ravyn

this

#4 Posted by sagejonathan (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

I actually read this in the 8th grade. It was a beautiful story.

#5 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4253 posts) - - Show Bio

Blow your teachers mind and do a report on Bend Sinister by Nabakov.

#6 Posted by JairamGanpat (957 posts) - - Show Bio

Drown by Junot Diaz

DAT SHIT CRAY

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (25009 posts) - - Show Bio

Ogre, Ogre-Its basically 307 pages of thinly veiled dirty jokes disguised as a kids novel

#8 Posted by KingOfAsh (3627 posts) - - Show Bio

Ringworld. Crazy science fiction (and nothing like Halo).

#9 Posted by JediXMan (31228 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you like fantasy / mythological-like stories? Check out American Gods or Neverwhere, both written by Neil Gaiman.

#10 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (19517 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan: Why not read the remaining dan browns? they're equally awesome!

#11 Posted by NightwingX (124 posts) - - Show Bio

u could read Ghostory. The story begin with a boy with vampire-enchanted eyes peeking at a girls panties for one second and he describes them for two whole pages. :P

#12 Posted by Loki9876 (3053 posts) - - Show Bio

lord of the flies

#13 Edited by Billy Batson (58266 posts) - - Show Bio

Perdido Street Station.

BB

#14 Posted by JediXMan (31228 posts) - - Show Bio

Or, if you want a classic that your teacher might appreciate, read the Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo.

#15 Edited by wildvine (10334 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by sagejonathan (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan: Why not read the remaining dan browns? they're equally awesome!

I've read them all! I loved every book with Robert Langdon in it, but the other two bored me a lot to be honest. I think I'm just tired of his style, but I am excited for his new novel Inferno.

@jedixman said:

Do you like fantasy / mythological-like stories? Check out American Gods or Neverwhere, both written by Neil Gaiman.

I've heard of those books but no one has actually recommended it to me. I think I'll go pick up American Gods. Plus, Barnes and Noble has a leatherbound edition including Anansi Boys as well :)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-american-gods-anansi-boys-neil-gaiman/1106658782?ean=9781435132139

#17 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

Hunchback of Notre-Dame

or

All Quiet on the Western Front

#18 Posted by czechoslovakia (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

#19 Posted by INFINITE_DOOM (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Alice in wonderland, a fun read and you could bring up the inconsistency of the english language in your report.

#20 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

anything featuring stephanie plum is good all her books were written by janet evanovich

#21 Posted by JediXMan (31228 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

I've heard of those books but no one has actually recommended it to me. I think I'll go pick up American Gods. Plus, Barnes and Noble has a leatherbound edition including Anansi Boys as well :)

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/barnes-noble-leatherbound-classics-american-gods-anansi-boys-neil-gaiman/1106658782?ean=9781435132139

O_O That is awesome! I want that!

I wish it included Monarch of the Glen, too, though. That's a short story (about 50 pages) and serves as a true sequel to American Gods (Anansi Boys is... kind of a sequel, but only in the sense that it shows one of the gods briefly. It doesn't reference any of the events from American Gods and it's lighter in tone).

Also, I recommend the Hunchback of Notre Dame, as well. That's my personal favorite book.

#22 Posted by Deranged Midget (17833 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to recommend Jackdaws by Ken Follet. Little over 400 pages and it's one of the best novels I've ever read!

Moderator Online
#23 Edited by sagejonathan (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsh92 said:

Hunchback of Notre-Dame

or

I've been meaning to read this too, but it keeps slipping my mind.

#24 Edited by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if you have the same taste as I do, but when I was in high school, I enjoyed The Great Gatsby, The Catcher in the Rye, and The Outsider.

#25 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

Johannes Cabal, The Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard. It's about a necromancer getting his soul back from the devil using a cursed carnival with the help of his brother whose a vampire. If you like your protagonists dickish, snarky and morally reprehensible with some heart then this is for you. Also it's 290 pages.

#26 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

Infinite Jest, if you have time. Its really, really long, but its fantastic and will really play around with your head.

Or you could try out The Marbury Lens. Its the first fantasy book I've read in a long time that felt original, not like something I'd seen before.

#27 Edited by ectoborge (208 posts) - - Show Bio

Seven Wonders is basically a comic without pictures. I also liked Tarzan.

#28 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1138 posts) - - Show Bio

WATERSHIP DOWN

Your teacher will think you made that story up about talking rabbits killing each other

#29 Posted by JSH92 (417 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsh92 said:

Hunchback of Notre-Dame

or

I've been meaning to read this too, but it keeps slipping my mind.

It's definitely worth it. Not a difficult read at all and very good.

#30 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (15114 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hound of Baskervilles.

#31 Posted by consolemaster001 (6035 posts) - - Show Bio

Angela's ashes

Fatherland

#32 Posted by sinestro_GL (3282 posts) - - Show Bio

'To Kill A Mockingbird'