• 77 results
#51 Posted by sync1 (3062 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why people take Karate lol

#52 Posted by Pyrogram (42534 posts) - - Show Bio
@sync1 said:

I don't understand why people take Karate lol

Because used correctly it can be very potent. Used incorrectly and you're gonna get smacked up.

-

OT - I do Wing Chun.

#53 Edited by ImmortalOne (3615 posts) - - Show Bio

I took Karate when I was 5. But being 5, I never advanced past white belt before leaving for a reason I don't recall.

#54 Posted by sync1 (3062 posts) - - Show Bio
#55 Posted by Pyrogram (42534 posts) - - Show Bio

@sync1: That's your opinion. It's wrong, but that's your opinion.

#56 Edited by hyiena (2247 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is teaching you is much more important then what stye of Martial arts you are learning. In my town there is a 300 lb fat guy who is only trained in Tae kwon do teaching MMA it's horrible he doesn't know anything about mma.

#57 Posted by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

did some tae kwon do at the university. about it.

#58 Posted by sync1 (3062 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@sync1: That's your opinion. It's wrong, but that's your opinion.

What advantages does Karate have over other styles?

#59 Posted by Pyrogram (42534 posts) - - Show Bio

@sync1: You asking that question shows you don't understand what you're talking about. You asked one question, and now changed the entire criteria.

#60 Edited by sync1 (3062 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@sync1: You asking that question shows you don't understand what you're talking about. You asked one question, and now changed the entire criteria.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Karate doesn't have the fastest or strongest kicks and their punches are weak. I think this style is pretty overrated lol.

(by other styles, i obviously didn't mean to compare it to Judo, BJJ, etc. I meant stand-up martial arts.)

EDIT: I probably just pissed off a bunch of people, didn't i?

#61 Posted by Hazlenaut (2096 posts) - - Show Bio

I have taken a few lessons of boxing and kenpo karate.

#62 Edited by Pyrogram (42534 posts) - - Show Bio

@sync1:

Karate doesn't have the fastest or strongest kicks and their punches are weak. I think this style is pretty overrated

Wrong. It is down to the individual. If a Karate Expert punch you in the head.

You'd get knocked out.

#64 Edited by BloodyNights (183 posts) - - Show Bio

@sync1

I wouldn't say Karate's punches are weak, infact the original art was designed for fighting people with armor, and uses quite a bit of hip power. However it's an outdated martial art, and fairly useless in practicality. The same can be said for TKD it's also an outdated style, but they are also some of the most popular due to ease of use and being fairly beginner friendly.

I study Jeet Kune Do. Which basically includes Boxing, Kempo, Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, Kick Boxing, Kali (Escrima Stick & Knife fighting) and Muay Thai. Though most of what I've learned is strictly self defense, in our school we are taught to bite, hair pull, eye gouge, and aim for the groin, all are potential targets. However I have sparred with people from other schools. I think one of my favorites was against a black belt in Karate, who won numerous point sparring competitions, and it was incredibly easy to not only out box him, but to take him down and end the fight with ease... You really need a mix of styles, to be truly effective at Martial arts, that's why I want to continue my training, and work on anything I may be lacking on.

Martial Arts has really helped me get back on my feet and moving again after stuck in a wheel chair for four years. So I gotta say I love it.

#65 Posted by laflux (20345 posts) - - Show Bio

savate and Muay thai

#66 Posted by Deathstroke02 (3284 posts) - - Show Bio

Karate... But I was like 9 or something...

#67 Posted by TheTrueClarkKent (14327 posts) - - Show Bio

I took Hapkido which is the art of using the opponents strennght against them, I didnt like it as a kid but now that Im a macho man, I would like to get into it (bully beatdown got me into it). Either Jeet Kun Doe or MMA.

#68 Posted by sync1 (3062 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@sync1:

Karate doesn't have the fastest or strongest kicks and their punches are weak. I think this style is pretty overrated

Wrong. It is down to the individual. If a Karate Expert punch you in the head.

You'd get knocked out.

Their punching form is "weak" compared to a boxing form. Some punch combos are swift, which makes it worse. My point is that they do not have a punching edge or kicking edge.

#69 Edited by Pyrogram (42534 posts) - - Show Bio

@sync1: You don't even know what you're trying to argue lmfao. You firstly said "It's got no advantages" and then said "Compared to other martial arts"....make your mind up. And for your information, a Karate Practitioner has an obvious edge against a boxer in kicking if you compare that....lol

#70 Posted by logy5000 (6828 posts) - - Show Bio

Just under black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do.

#71 Edited by sync1 (3062 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@sync1: You don't even know what you're trying to argue lmfao. You firstly said "It's got no advantages" and then said "Compared to other martial arts"....make your mind up. And for your information, a Karate Practitioner has an obvious edge against a boxer in kicking if you compare that....lol

"No advantages" is the same as "Compared to other martial arts." I don't understand what you're trying to imply. lol.

Anyway, Boxers only throw hands that's why. Of course they have the edge. But in terms of fighting styles that involve kicks, i would say Karate is somewhere at the bottom.

(Btw a Boxer would own a Karate fighter)

#72 Posted by Pyrogram (42534 posts) - - Show Bio
@sync1 said:

@pyrogram said:

(Btw a Boxer would own a Karate fighter)

Oh Oh would you happen to know that as a fact? lmfao Okay, thanks for telling me. That makes logical sense, let's forget the individuals fighting, let's forget the experience, let's forget who they are taught by, lets forget the reason/motives for fighting, let's forget the height/reach factors and just compare styles and make a verdict on that.

No.

You cannot compare Martial Art to "Sport Combat" without taking in multiple factors.

#73 Edited by kgb725 (8434 posts) - - Show Bio

I've taken Tae Kwon Doe

#74 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (8306 posts) - - Show Bio

I did Kick Boxing for a bit once, that's about it.

#75 Edited by youmessinwithme (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

Never took any actual classes my family can't really afford them but i hope too in the future, I train with one of my friends who fights amature MMA in BJJ, wrestling, Boxing and a little muay thai as he actually has personal coaches in all of the above, He's also shown me a few techniques from TKD but they are all pretty high level so I can't execute them properly.

#76 Edited by Strongarm (5881 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets see:

• TKD, 4th grade until fifth got a yellow striped belt then quit
  • Wing Chun , didn't find a good one so I got mcdojo'd and quit but later found a great friend (who teaches TMA)
  • Aikido, did for a while didn't really like it
  • No Gi, did a while back then for a month now returning
  • Wrestling, did a while back then for a couple of months now returning
  • Boxing, did for a year or more on and off
  • Muay Thai, started last two months and loving it
#77 Posted by kuonphobos (5181 posts) - - Show Bio

Kenpo which sort of morphed into Kickboxing.