• 76 results
#1 Posted by sync1 (2970 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm interested in what types of martial arts Viners take (or took). ;D

I take Muay Thai and Boxing. I want to take Kick boxing and freestyle wrestling tho :(

#2 Posted by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm taking Tae Kwon Do right now (the only martial arts I took in my lifetime).

Though I really want to learn some Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Brazillian Brazilian Jiu-jitsu as well as other martial arts, though I don't know where to take them. =C

#3 Posted by sync1 (2970 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun: Nicee. you'd probably be good at Muay thai since you know how to kick. ;p

#4 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

im a taek won do black belt

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to start taking Shotokan Karate soon.

#6 Posted by sagejonathan (1956 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that I'm going to college and make a complicated series of commutes I can only really go during the weekends to train which has been a huge personal sacrifice. Anyways here's my experience.

Brown Belt in Sil Jun Do (A tactical self defense martial art)

Blue Belt w/3 stripes in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Started Boxing over the weekends recently

#7 Edited by sagejonathan (1956 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun: From what I've heard Krav Maga is for murderers. They don't teach you how to defend yourself by controlling the enemy; they teach you to BREAK them. I knew a guy that came to study Sil Jun Do in my gym and he used to do Krav Maga. He was tough, but he said that it was ridiculous and that it never taught him how to control an enemy properly. If you got sentenced to court for defending himself with almost any martial art you could make a case that you were defending yourself. If you go to court having used Krav Maga, you're probably going to jail for nearly killing the guy with unnecessary force.

#8 Edited by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

@sync1 said:

@zijuun: Nicee. you'd probably be good at Muay thai since you know how to kick. ;p

Yeah. ;D I'm actually quite good at Taw Kwon Do.

@zijuun: From what I've heard Krav Maga is for murderers. They don't teach you how to defend yourself by controlling the enemy; they teach you to BREAK them. I knew a guy that came to study Sil Jun Do in my gym and he used to do Krav Maga. He was tough, but he said that it was ridiculous and that it never taught him how to control an enemy properly. If you got sentenced to court for defending himself with almost any martial art you could make a case that you were defending yourself. If you go to court having used Krav Maga, you're probably going to jail for nearly killing the guy with unnecessary force.

Lol, same it seems with Brazillian Jiu-jitsu too from the looks of it, but that's what I like about Krav Maga, it's very effective.

#9 Posted by MonsterStomp (18091 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Karate when I was young and undisciplined and didn't have the will to bother with it. Go to yellow belt and quit.

I'm interested in getting back into martial arts. Kick Boxing, Krav Maga (I'm enlisting so I'll pretty much learn this), Boxing, Judo, Aikido. Anything really, I just want to be relatively skilled. My future depends on it :)

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Karate when I was young and undisciplined and didn't have the will to bother with it. Go to yellow belt and quit.

I'm interested in getting back into martial arts. Kick Boxing, Krav Maga (I'm enlisting so I'll pretty much learn this), Boxing, Judo, Aikido. Anything really, I just want to be relatively skilled. My future depends on it :)

You're joining the Army?

#11 Posted by MonsterStomp (18091 posts) - - Show Bio

Krav Maga is military level. Teaches you to end fights before they escalate. On the battlefield, you don't want to spar someone for a drawn out period of time, the longer the fight lasts, the more your chances of winning slip away. With Krav Maga you basically don't hold back anything, this includes noes breaks, groin shots, anything really. It mixes martial arts.

#12 Posted by MonsterStomp (18091 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by russellmania77 (15436 posts) - - Show Bio

Mexican judo

#14 Posted by BigCimmerian (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

I have Karate blue belt and Tae Kwon Do blue belt, but I also have some knowledge in boxing, wrestling and Kyokushinkai Karate.

#15 Posted by sync1 (2970 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun: Lol BJJ? It teaches you how to grapple, not so much break a person.

#16 Edited by superstay (9840 posts) - - Show Bio

@sync1:

I've been studying Tae Kwon Do since I was six.

I also studied at a martial arts school that taught Kick Boxing and Muay Thai

d^_^b

#17 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Yeah man, still on the waiting list.

What is your MOS you're looking at? I've never learned US Army combatives, but all US Special Operations Forces will go through some level of SOCP (Special Operations Combatives Program), which is what I went through when I became JTAC. It essentially teaches direct, painful, blunt force trauma to vulnerable locations of the body to stun/stagger an enemy so you can get to your tools and end the fight. No one fist fights in combat, your tools end battles, not your fists. Examples are heel stomps to toes, helmet-headbutts to the nose, knees to the groin, and the follow up is if you get your primary free, you shoot him. If he still has a grip on your primary, or for what ever reason it isn't working such as a jam, your draw your sidearm and shoot him. If you have no sidearm (not all conventional forces carry them, but they are standard issue for most Spec Ops) you draw your knife and stab him (they do teach you quite a bit of knife/blade combat). You pretty much get the idea. It isn't fancy, and isn't designed around bar fighting, but you aren't fighting in a bar. You're at war, big difference. SOCP is derived from Krav Maga, which our guys learned by cross-training with the Israelis.

As per the topic at hand, I have a 3rd Dan Tae Kwon Do, 6 years of Muay Thai, a Blue Belt in BJJ, Yellow in Krav Maga, my military SOCP training, and spotty training in Judo, Kenpo, Boxing, and Escrima.

#18 Edited by i_like_swords (14527 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel so unseasoned compared to you guys. I did boxing for a year, quit, and am planning on getting back into it. After boxing, who knows, but it's one of my favourite sports.

#19 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

I reached blue belt as a kid in a kung fu school with a name so long and unpronounceable that I forgot it since then.

#20 Edited by TifaLockhart (14051 posts) - - Show Bio

Green belt in tae kwon do, then I hurt my back.

#21 Edited by Strider92 (16498 posts) - - Show Bio

Karate when I was really young and I started taking Krav Maga then had to move house -.- and there isn't a club nearby... so nothing now.

#22 Posted by Dabee (2393 posts) - - Show Bio

Joke Jujitsu

#23 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Shotokan Karate when I was at grades school... Peaked at brown belt. School closed though.

Doce Pares Eskrima and Kali JKD way back in high school til now... Lakan 1. Won't be promoted until I go back to the Philippines. :(

Taekwondo back in college... Stopped at Red belt. Not my cup of tea.

Kyokushinkaikan Karate from late college, practicing til now. 2nd Dan. Osu!

Boxing right after TKD til now. Very casual practitioner. Got so many wins. And by wins I mean my opponents do the winning while I lie around... knocked out... Sucks to be a slugger. Nyehehe! Doing kickboxing on the same gym. Doing better in that than boxing.

Did Krav for quite a while before the center got shut down cause instructors went back to Israel.

Very casual Wing Chun. Being taught by a neighbour who's not even a master. You could say I suck at it.

Judo, two sessions only... Cause they're free... And in those two sessions I got choked... thrice... Nyehehe!

1 session of Kenpo (Again cause it's free)... Didn't learn much... Shocker right?

#24 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun said:

Though I really want to learn some Krav Maga, Muay Thai, Brazillian Brazilian Jiu-jitsu as well as other martial arts, though I don't know where to take them. =C

I know! Jerusalem, Bangkok and Rio... Nyehehehehe! Peace. :D

#25 Posted by TheThe (1738 posts) - - Show Bio

From 13 to 18 years old i've done Qwan ki do, but i didnt really enjoy it. I'm planning to take Ai ki do one day, its philosophy fits more my personality.

#26 Edited by JeanRalphio (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

Dancing Bear style

#27 Posted by MonsterStomp (18091 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp said:

@wolverine08: Yeah man, still on the waiting list.

What is your MOS you're looking at? I've never learned US Army combatives, but all US Special Operations Forces will go through some level of SOCP (Special Operations Combatives Program), which is what I went through when I became JTAC. It essentially teaches direct, painful, blunt force trauma to vulnerable locations of the body to stun/stagger an enemy so you can get to your tools and end the fight. No one fist fights in combat, your tools end battles, not your fists. Examples are heel stomps to toes, helmet-headbutts to the nose, knees to the groin, and the follow up is if you get your primary free, you shoot him. If he still has a grip on your primary, or for what ever reason it isn't working such as a jam, your draw your sidearm and shoot him. If you have no sidearm (not all conventional forces carry them, but they are standard issue for most Spec Ops) you draw your knife and stab him (they do teach you quite a bit of knife/blade combat). You pretty much get the idea. It isn't fancy, and isn't designed around bar fighting, but you aren't fighting in a bar. You're at war, big difference. SOCP is derived from Krav Maga, which our guys learned by cross-training with the Israelis.

As per the topic at hand, I have a 3rd Dan Tae Kwon Do, 6 years of Muay Thai, a Blue Belt in BJJ, Yellow in Krav Maga, my military SOCP training, and spotty training in Judo, Kenpo, Boxing, and Escrima.

Thanks for the info dude. I'm just applying for MP (Military Police) but I have Infantry as my follow up preference.

#28 Posted by jesse1018 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the info dude. I'm just applying for MP (Military Police) but I have Infantry as my follow up preference.

(Here's my two cents) I joined the Army and as Infantryman with 0 fight/sparring experience. At my first duty station I had a little guy ball me up (I'm 6'1" and 205 lbs) and figured I needed to learn BJJ. The Army Combatives program has 4 levels. I've now been certified level 3. I've learned a bit on how to use my rifle in a fight, basic punches/kicks and combinations, and a solid handful of BJJ moves. It was after this point I realized how little much of the techniques would transfer over to a real fight.

I have learned, over time, that I will not be fighting Anderson Silva any time soon. I don't need 10 years of MMA experience to defeat the average person, nor do I have the time to devote myself to it. Instead of learning 121 different martial arts, learn a handful of highly effective techniques and get really good at executing them. It takes less time and will make you better than most. And most fight with the Universal Fight Plan.

The last place you want to be, in a real fight, is on the ground. If you wanna shoot for a single leg take-down and bang your knee on the concrete you don't get the opportunity to shake it off between rounds. Plus, his friend will probably jump in and kick you in the face if you are on the ground. Choose effective take-downs that don't overly expose you to danger if you fail, and stomp the dude in the face rather than follow him to the ground.

I just realized I could go on for pages if I let my fingers fly, but I'll leave it at this: GO INFANTRY, MPs SUCK BALLS.

#29 Posted by Juiceboks (9069 posts) - - Show Bio

Shotokan Karate for about a year when I was 11. Forgot quite a bit of it now unfortunately :/

Studied Muay Thai kickboxing most recently and I'm fairly decent at it. Could be much better but I don't find the time to spar with anybody and I don't ever get into fights. I actually got into it after watching some old Street Fighter movies(anime) several years ago and discovered that Sagat was my favorite character.

I would like to learn Hapkido, WIng Chun and Shaolin King Fu. Within the next 8 years I plan on going to the countries where these martial arts styles originated from to study. Perhaps learn from some of the legends even? A man can dream :)

#30 Edited by Kthanid (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I'm going to have to agree. I'm AF flightline avionics and I know a lot of cops. I also happened to know quite a few Army MPs from overseas and deployments. DO NOT do it unless you are like zealous about it. It is a terribly boring job guarding a gate for 14 hours a day in full gear checking ID cards. At least thats what I did during security forces augmentee duty. Heh on the flightline we tend to mess with the cops on patrol. They'll park at one end, fall asleep in their cars and we sneak up and put chocks behind and in front of their tires. Always a great laugh

#31 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6184 posts) - - Show Bio

Starting Kung Fu next month.

#32 Posted by consolemaster001 (5604 posts) - - Show Bio

Aikido

#33 Posted by sagejonathan (1956 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan said:

Krav Maga is military level. Teaches you to end fights before they escalate. On the battlefield, you don't want to spar someone for a drawn out period of time, the longer the fight lasts, the more your chances of winning slip away. With Krav Maga you basically don't hold back anything, this includes noes breaks, groin shots, anything really. It mixes martial arts.

For military purposes I completely agree that it's great, but for the average guy on the street, i think it uses an unnecessary amount of force. Of course, if its life or death you have to do whatever it takes, but if the enemy can be neutralized without destroying them, then that would be much better.

#34 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20257 posts) - - Show Bio

Got to Green Belt in Tae Kwon Do, but then I quit because I was too lazy.

#35 Posted by Immortal777 (7588 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a black belt in Karate I'm thinking of trying something else.

#36 Edited by ColonelRunAway (370 posts) - - Show Bio

I did Karate up to a brown belt back in grade school. One time, Jason David Frank from Power Rangers even came by the school to give us a lesson. Unfortunately I haven't retained much of it.

Also, my dad is a part-time Aikido instructor, so I've done lessons with him every now and again.

#37 Posted by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun said:

I know! Jerusalem, Bangkok and Rio... Nyehehehehe! Peace. :D

XD~

#38 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18071 posts) - - Show Bio

Circuit Su and Metallikato.

#39 Posted by sagejonathan (1956 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun: No, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu isn't as madly aggressive. From watching people grapple I can see what you mean, but that's because against someone good you need to be very aggressive. Against someone on the street, a BJJ guy should have TOTAL control over the opponent. I'm confident that if I take a fight to the ground against any guy on the street (besides those that have good grappling experience) I can do whatever I want. You'd be surprised how gentle BJJ can be if you know what your doing.

#40 Posted by Perethorn (3401 posts) - - Show Bio

I know wrestling and some boxing.

#41 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to take karate. I currently wrestle.

-$NG

#42 Posted by cameron83 (7345 posts) - - Show Bio

Batfu

#43 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@kthanid said:
@monsterstomp said:

Yeah I'm going to have to agree. I'm AF flightline avionics and I know a lot of cops. I also happened to know quite a few Army MPs from overseas and deployments. DO NOT do it unless you are like zealous about it. It is a terribly boring job guarding a gate for 14 hours a day in full gear checking ID cards. At least thats what I did during security forces augmentee duty. Heh on the flightline we tend to mess with the cops on patrol. They'll park at one end, fall asleep in their cars and we sneak up and put chocks behind and in front of their tires. Always a great laugh

This is incredibly funny. I always like busting the chops of AF SPs when I get the chance because they act/think like they are some elite-level infantry combat force. My personal preference between MP and infantry would be infantry, UNLESS you are only planning on one contract and want the MP experience. From what I have heard talking to ex-AF SPs, Army MPs actually do get law enforcement certifications that other branches do not. But as Kthanid said, it is incredibly boring. It is your choice, your life, do what makes you happy though.

#44 Posted by Kthanid (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@kthanid said:
@monsterstomp said:

This is incredibly funny. I always like busting the chops of AF SPs when I get the chance because they act/think like they are some elite-level infantry combat force. My personal preference between MP and infantry would be infantry, UNLESS you are only planning on one contract and want the MP experience. From what I have heard talking to ex-AF SPs, Army MPs actually do get law enforcement certifications that other branches do not. But as Kthanid said, it is incredibly boring. It is your choice, your life, do what makes you happy though.

Most those AF SF guys you meet that brag like that are because they're special forces wash outs. Pararescue has around a 92% attrition rate through training and just because this SF guy took part in a few weeks of it before breaking his leg and getting booted, he thinks he's world class bada**. I'd also like to mention that it's incredibly bureaucratic. Because you said "Good morning Sir" instead of "Have a wonderful day Sir" you best believe some Colonel is going to call your commander to tell you how terrible his people at the gate are. If you genuinely love being a cop like more than anything else EVER or if you plan on using the experience to jumpstart a career in civilian enforcement then yes you can get a lot of certifications, qualifications, and training to do just that. I just know so many good personnel who have gotten out because its so soul crushing. Also look into which jobs are critically manned and you could get a huge (like tens of thousands of dollars) sign on bonus. I know for us contracting gets well over 10k. Unless you plan on staying in enforcement I highly suggest you change while you can because after you're in, it's incredibly difficult to retrain into another job.

Oh and for the topic, I did 4 years of freestyle wrestling and 2 of BJJ. Fun stuff wish I was still a part of it

#45 Posted by _Braveheart_ (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been practicing boxing since I was nine years and still practice it today. It's the only fighting style I've ever taken.

#46 Edited by GraniteSoldier (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@kthanid:

Yeah, I know quite a few who washed out back in TACP school and they ended up as cops. Some tried out again, some just stayed and behaved like they made it through. It's why I always called them SPs (Security Police which they used to be called) and not SF, they think the moniker makes them Special Forces (even though Air Force uses the term Special Tactics go figure). Had one SrA at a gate go on for 10 minutes wondering how I made it through TACP school, and then JTAC, because I don't have the "look" of someone who could. I don't even know what the hell that means, didn't know there was a "look". I told him "look" at my ID and let me through.

Off topic: How do you like the flightline? I've a few maintainer friends and it seem they either love it or hate it. The common gripe seems to be dealing with pilots, heard they are pretty much primadonnas. I've dealt with a few, but they never seemed that bad.

#47 Edited by Kthanid (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier:

It's great. I mean it's pretty terrible most the time and there is a lot of dumb morale killing stuff that goes on but the actual work of fixing the aircraft is challenging and rewarding. Plus deployments are fun once you get over the whole possibility of death by mortars thing

#48 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@kthanid:

Haha, death by mortars, IEDs, or bullets. Death is death and a reality every military member lives with, but that's why we get big bucks right?!?! (Internet sarcasm). What frame do you work on?

#49 Posted by Kthanid (77 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier:

Compass call. It's a jamming and electronic warfare c-130 variant. Well deployed tax free money is nice and I go usually 4 on 8 off but yeah nobody got rich being enlisted

#50 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@kthanid:

Yeah, deployments are nice for the money. Especially if you end up like some of the guys I work with and get put as a forward deployable response force at The Deed. They spent six months at that resort, lucky bastards.

My only experience with the 130s are calling them in for night strikes. God bless those magnificent machines and you guys that keep them running, they are like the Wrath of God when they cut loose.