• 123 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by God_Spawn (38111 posts) - - Show Bio

We have a pick a lightsaber thread so why not one to pick a saber style? (Unless this has been done before but I couldn't find a match.)

I'd probably pick Soresu myself with some Shien thrown in.

#2 Edited by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

probably soresu or makashi, those are my favorites :)

#3 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

Can you post and explain all style choices available? I am not that deep a star wars fan although I think the mythology is great.

#4 Posted by JediXMan (30960 posts) - - Show Bio

Makashi suits me the most. Second choice is Juyo,
 
@TheSwordsman said:

Can you post and explain all style choices available? I am not that deep a star wars fan although I think the mythology is great.

Let me know if you'd like some elaboration.
 
Form I: Shii-Cho - Very simple and rather direct offensive/defensive style. Overall balanced, but very basic. All Jedi are taught this.
Form II: Makashi - Mostly used single-handed grip. Focuses primarily on swiftness in lightsaber combat.
Form III: Soresu - Focuses on defense, especially regarding blaster fire.
Form IV: Ataru - Acrobatic, aggressive offensive form. Focuses on speed and physical agility.
Form V: Shien - Focuses on redirecting attacks in a smooth motion, primarily regarding blaster fire.
Form VI: Niman - Calm mindset with emphasis on offensive strikes.
Form VII: Juyo / Vaapad - Juyo focuses on strength and power; similar to Ataru, but doesn't utilize acrobatics and agility as much. Vaapad combines the Force with the style, channeling the dark side through the user and redirecting it. Note: Juyo and Vaapad aren't the same thing, but are often both considered "form VII."
Moderator Online
#5 Posted by mikethekiller (8457 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd probably go with Soresu or Shein.

#6 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

Makashi suits me the most. Second choice is Juyo,

@TheSwordsman said:

Can you post and explain all style choices available? I am not that deep a star wars fan although I think the mythology is great.

Let me know if you'd like some elaboration.

Form I: Shii-Cho - Very simple and rather direct offensive/defensive style. Overall balanced, but very basic. All Jedi are taught this.
Form II: Makashi - Mostly used single-handed grip. Focuses primarily on swiftness in lightsaber combat.
Form III: Soresu - Focuses on defense, especially regarding blaster fire.
Form IV: Ataru - Acrobatic, aggressive offensive form. Focuses on speed and physical agility.
Form V: Shien - Focuses on redirecting attacks in a smooth motion, primarily regarding blaster fire.
Form VI: Niman - Calm mindset with emphasis on offensive strikes.
Form VII: Juyo / Vaapad - Juyo focuses on strength and power; similar to Ataru, but doesn't utilize acrobatics and agility as much. Vaapad combines the Force with the style, channeling the dark side through the user and redirecting it. Note: Juyo and Vaapad aren't the same thing, but are often both considered "form VII."

That was elaborate and succinct enough to make an informed decision. Ty.

I would likely choose The Ataru form/style.

#7 Posted by coolguyr99 (3019 posts) - - Show Bio

Soresu.

#8 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

I use Makashi most in KOTOR.

But in real life I'd probably use Ataru.

#9 Posted by GodOfMischief (641 posts) - - Show Bio

Probaly the style Anakin Skywalker uses, which I believe is the fifth form. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#10 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (25565 posts) - - Show Bio

From V: Shien/Djem So

#11 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

Ataru

#12 Posted by SmashBrawler (5957 posts) - - Show Bio

Shien/Djem So

#13 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Ataru

#14 Posted by 47Taskmaster47 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

Ataru, and a little bit of the super andvanced method of Shii-choo. (Although everyone learns the basic form of Shii-choo, those who learn all of it can easily become the best swordsman, example Kit Fisto.)

#15 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Niman would suit me best. :]

#16 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18411 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe something mixed similar to Vaders fighting style,a little different.So a combination of forms.

Vaapad/Juyo

#17 Posted by JediXMan (30960 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobiwankenobi said:

I use Makashi most in KOTOR.

But in real life I'd probably use Ataru.

In real life, I fence. Makashi suits my style.

Moderator Online
#18 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

I use Makashi most in KOTOR.

But in real life I'd probably use Ataru.

In real life, I fence. Makashi suits my style.

Why are you so cool?

My brother used to fence a little in college. I would too if the opportunity arose, but I'm in high school still, and it doesn't offer anything. I can't find anything anywhere else.

#19 Posted by JediXMan (30960 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobiwankenobi said:

@JediXMan said:

@jobiwankenobi said:

I use Makashi most in KOTOR.

But in real life I'd probably use Ataru.

In real life, I fence. Makashi suits my style.

Why are you so cool?

My brother used to fence a little in college. I would too if the opportunity arose, but I'm in high school still, and it doesn't offer anything. I can't find anything anywhere else.

*shrug* Who knows why?

Go to USFencing.org, click on Fencing 101 in the tabs list, then click "find a club." You might find a place near you to learn; age doesn't mean anything.

Moderator Online
#20 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: Thanks man.

#21 Posted by JediXMan (30960 posts) - - Show Bio

@jobiwankenobi said:

@JediXMan: Thanks man.

No problem.

Some places let you barrow equipment in the beginning. After you get more into it, you can buy your own stuff and register with the USFA.

Moderator Online
#22 Posted by PowerHerc (85102 posts) - - Show Bio

Mine would be green.

#23 Posted by SoA (4942 posts) - - Show Bio

Form IV: Ataru

#24 Posted by Deranged Midget (17723 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Soresu.

Moderator
#25 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

Ataru or Soresu

#26 Posted by RazzaTazz (9679 posts) - - Show Bio

The one that Yoda uses, I think it is style 4

Moderator
#27 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

Uhm.... Niman, a well balanced style, with the possibility to fight with two lightsabers.

#28 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

Vaapad. I think Mace uses that style, and he's damn good with it, too.

#29 Posted by ShootingNova (18297 posts) - - Show Bio

I would probably use Makashi or Soresu.

#30 Edited by Lvenger (20757 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the styles. I'd probably be best suited to soresu or shien

#32 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3926 posts) - - Show Bio

Form VII: Juyo / Vaapad

#33 Posted by Chosen One (2123 posts) - - Show Bio

Soresu

#34 Posted by YoungJustice (6877 posts) - - Show Bio

Ataru

#35 Posted by JediXMan (30960 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

The one that Yoda uses, I think it is style 4

Ataru, yes.

@Static Shock said:

Vaapad. I think Mace uses that style, and he's damn good with it, too.

Not only is it Mace's style, but he created it.

@Lvenger said:

Thanks for all the styles. I'd probably be best suited to soresu or shien

No problem.

Moderator Online
#36 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

Um, Jai'Kai (I think thats it. Its an alternative to Niman-Two-Handed Form)

#37 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11267 posts) - - Show Bio

Form IV: Ataru is my style!

#38 Posted by SirMethos (1344 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely a mix of Soresu for defense and Vaapad for offense, with bits and pieces of the other styles thrown in.

Anyone using 1 pure style, has clear weaknesses that can easily(ish) be exploited by anyone familiar with that style.

#39 Posted by nikh98 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

ataru

#40 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

Not only is it Mace's style, but he created it.

That's even better. :)

#41 Posted by JediXMan (30960 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@JediXMan said:

Not only is it Mace's style, but he created it.

That's even better. :)

Well, co-created it... say, 75%... but now I'm just nitpicking.

Moderator Online
#42 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Makashi or Vaapad... Being unique and all, they're automatic bragging rights...

#43 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

Well, co-created it... say, 75%... but now I'm just nitpicking.

So, who is also responsible for such a unique style, besides Mace?

#44 Edited by JediXMan (30960 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@JediXMan said:

Well, co-created it... say, 75%... but now I'm just nitpicking.

So, who is also responsible for such a unique style, besides Mace?

Master Sora Bulq assisted in the creation of Vaapad. But, unlike Mace, he could not control it, and the darkness consumed him. He joined Count Dooku.

Moderator Online
#45 Edited by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

SHATTERPOINT

#46 Posted by ShootingNova (18297 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmoothJammin said:

SHATTERPOINT

Which is not a form.......

#47 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Djem-So.  
That style was made for me.

#48 Posted by ShootingNova (18297 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

Form I: Shii-Cho - Very simple and rather direct offensive/defensive style. Overall balanced, but very basic. All Jedi are taught this.
Form II: Makashi - Mostly used single-handed grip. Focuses primarily on swiftness in lightsaber combat.
Form III: Soresu - Focuses on defense, especially regarding blaster fire.
Form IV: Ataru - Acrobatic, aggressive offensive form. Focuses on speed and physical agility.
Form V: Shien - Focuses on redirecting attacks in a smooth motion, primarily regarding blaster fire.
Form VI: Niman - Calm mindset with emphasis on offensive strikes.
Form VII: Juyo / Vaapad - Juyo focuses on strength and power; similar to Ataru, but doesn't utilize acrobatics and agility as much. Vaapad combines the Force with the style, channeling the dark side through the user and redirecting it. Note: Juyo and Vaapad aren't the same thing, but are often both considered "form VII."

Yeah. Well, all Jedi are taught the basics of Form I, not all are masters automatically LOL.

Niman doesn't exactly emphasize on offensive attacks.........

And you forgot Djem So. Which is basically Form V, but is focused on heavy strength and offense.

Vaapad isn't exactly channeling "the Dark Side". LOL, I know, I'm just nitpicking.

#49 Posted by Strider92 (16737 posts) - - Show Bio

Ataru or Niman i'm an offense type guy!

#50 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7909 posts) - - Show Bio

Soresu with a dash of Ataru. Funny, a few years ago I would have said the reverse.