#1 Edited by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone should know by now that angel wings would NOT enable a human to fly because we are too heavy. What about insect wings? Those bugs look pretty hefty to me. What kind of wing would work best? The classic fairy wing or a butterfly wing? Maybe something else? This is for you smart science types...

#2 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman cape.

#3 Posted by SlimJ87D (9319 posts) - - Show Bio

Well to answer your question as easiest as possible you would have to see the mass of a bug and the size of their wings. Easiest would be scaling. If a fly was the same length as the height of our bodies, most likely their wings would be able to support us at that size.

Goolge says that we're about 200 times the length of the fly, so a fly's wing times 200 its size.

my estimation does not take into account mass.

#4 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think insect wings would be any better than angel style wings. If anything they would be worse because they are so fragile. For humans to fly we'd either need to weight significantly less, have gigantic wings to compensate for our heavy weight, figure out anti gravity, or use magic.

#5 Posted by Active_Adaptation (254 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matchstick said:

I don't think insect wings would be any better than angel style wings. If anything they would be worse because they are so fragile. For humans to fly we'd either need to weight significantly less, have gigantic wings to compensate for our heavy weight, figure out anti gravity, or use magic.

I vote for this option.

#6 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

They'd be so large as to be basically useless for any form of precision landing save a plane strip. We'd have better luck with jetpacks, Iron Man suits, and high altitude hover vehicles before trying insect wings.

#7 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32637 posts) - - Show Bio

Azhdarchids where 20ft tall with a wing span of 40 to 50ft and they where able to fly, so I say wings like them.

#8 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry I Have To Disagree Because Of The Following:

Answer

A professor Torkel Weis-Fogh of Zoology at Cambridge University in the 1970, showed us how small insects fly. A small insects wings work by causing air to flow over it in such a way that when the air leaves the rearedge of the wingsit moves downwards The resulant eddy produces an upward thrust on the wing. This does not happen quickly, it takes timeto make a good eddy, and the wing has to move a distance a few times its length to get things started. The maximum travel of a wing is roughly its length and very little lift is generated for most of the stroke. Small birds and insects, when they go to take off, they need a lot of lift. They bring there wings together above their back so that they clap, exhausting air from between their wings, when the wings seprate, air is quuckly drawn in to fill the void. Then the wings are flung apartand the lift is immediately caused, because the air is all ready moving in the correct way. This is how a bumble bee, or a wasp, hummingbird, turkey, fly and why you can hear them, these are just examples, you may hear other birds or insects flying yourself.

And for the bumble bee...

There is an old saying: 'The bumble bee is too heavy to fly, but no-one told the bee'. This was strengthened when early aeronautical engineers calculated the lift from a bumble bee's wings and said it was less than the bee's weight. They had made the mistake of treating the wing as a simple aerofoil.

It was quite a few years before the real truth was found. As the bee flies, the downstrokes of the wing create vortices above the wing. These creates several times more lift than a simple aerofoil, more than enough for the bee to fly.

#9 Posted by MonsterStomp (15782 posts) - - Show Bio

Wingsuit wings. Nailed it.

#10 Posted by Referee (6512 posts) - - Show Bio

It gives you wings

#11 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Bee wings because those flying buggers defy science every time they take off flying. Or screw bugs and evolve arm wings like Sauron. Or a bat. Because pterosaurs are dinky looking with those wings of theirs (although Quetzalcoatlus rocks 1000000X more than Hatzegopteryx.)

#12 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Referee said:

It gives you wings

Ha ha

#13 Posted by ARMIV2 (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

Really big cool looking ones.

#14 Posted by lorbo (1541 posts) - - Show Bio

Check this out: Very interesting

#15 Posted by charlieboy (7153 posts) - - Show Bio

Ask Janet Van Dyne.

#16 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Big ones.