#1 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a old saying "Never meet your heroes. You might be disappointed". Everyone at some point had this person as role model that you used to admire and look up to and turns out they don't live up to the high pedestal they placed them on. What are these people that you used to idolize but turn out to be less than you expect?

#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20239 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the things that make me respect people are honesty, so no, this has never happened to me.

#3 Posted by God_Spawn (37880 posts) - - Show Bio

They murdered their family.

#4 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of things.

#5 Posted by ComicMan24 (147091 posts) - - Show Bio

No one really.

#6 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

Never really looked up to anyone.

#7 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have 'one' person i look up to. I do admire people who overcome adversity and emerge stronger. I do admire honest people. I do admire people that raises a family to the best of their ability even in troubled times, etc. So in a way you could say i have millions of rolemodels because every person has something to look up to :) so broken pedestal?.. No, because i'd see other rolemodels help that person and restore my faith in people ^_^

#8 Edited by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a terrible "All men cheat" fear because I only know one married couple that has been together for 20+ years without a single act of infidelity...........So, I guess I've been the victim of a broken "happy marriage" pedestal

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

My childhood was pretty screwed up so I learned pretty early that every one had something that sucks about them so no never had that moment where an idol fell.

#10 Edited by _Zombie_ (10442 posts) - - Show Bio

My cousin. I looked up to the guy so much as a kid, wanted to be like the big, tough cousin. Suffice to say.. that didn't turn out well.

#11 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

To think I used to admire the folks at TGWTG before... What bunch of dicks.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

The upside of growing up knowing that pretty much everyone has something about them that sucks pretty much eliminates the concept of true disappointment

#13 Posted by Deadite (23966 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a little disappointed when Anne Rice banned people from writing fan-fic related to her novels. It doesn't really affect me, but it does seem a bit extreme.

#14 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I don't think I've ever had a role model or even a person I admire falling from grace. For the most part, from a young age, I guess I quickly came to the realization that everyone's fallible. The closest I can think of is probably Marvel itself. Reading about the publisher's history with all the drama between Martin Goodman, Stan Lee, and Jack Kirby is a little depressing - considering that the comics they were putting out at the time were so innovative and fun.

#15 Edited by JediXMan (30602 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have heroes who I have never met; just people I admire for specific abilities (like writing, for example). So no, this has never happened to me.

#16 Posted by mikethekiller (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

This has never actually happened to me.

#17 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

never happened to me

#18 Posted by Bruxae (13840 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably happened a million times but its a passing thing, I have never had a true rolemodel.

#19 Posted by Samimista (20711 posts) - - Show Bio

Hasn't happened yet.