• 141 results
#1 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Curious, what language does comicvine feel is the most difficult to learn and speak?

Chinese?

English?

Spanish?

Japanese?

Italian?

French?

Russian?

German?

What? Obviously there's many, many more

I've asked many people over the years and I seem to get English, Russian and Chinese (one of these three always is chosen)

What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by mistresssobeautiful (787 posts) - - Show Bio

Chinese- Every word is a different symbol and it's not phonetic so it gives you no clues as to how it is pronounced. The tone system also is a pain because Mandarin has four tones.

#3 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Chinese- Every word is a different symbol and it's not phonetic so it gives you no clues as to how it is pronounced. The tone system also is a pain because Mandarin has four tones.

Hello there, welcome to Cv :) nice post.

#4 Edited by mistresssobeautiful (787 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: I'm not new lol. This is just my new account. But thanks (:

#5 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on what you grew up learning and what you initially speak, but, yeah, from what I understand, Chinese and Arabic are the most difficult to learn.

#6 Posted by Xwraith (15132 posts) - - Show Bio

Welsh and Irish seem really intimidating.

And I actually am part-Irish (on my mother's side).

#7 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19854 posts) - - Show Bio

the international language of love

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32604 posts) - - Show Bio

depends on what you mean by Chinese

#9 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: I'm not new lol. This is just my new account. But thanks (:

Oh lol sorry haha. Your welcome.Thanks for posting in my topic mistress :)

#10 Posted by mistresssobeautiful (787 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Xaa (313 posts) - - Show Bio

Russian to me.

#12 Posted by Immortal777 (6824 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is English on the list? I think it's one of the easiest for people to learn.

#13 Posted by mikethekiller (8301 posts) - - Show Bio

i heard japanese is hard to learn

#14 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortal777: That is your opinion, doesn't make it fact though. I know many people who learned English and said it's one of the hardest for them to learn(one guy native language is spanish, another is French) friends I know from online both told me English was very difficult for them to learn but American TV helped them a little.

#15 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

I don´t know about asian languages, but as a dutch person I say english and german are the easiest european languages (can't say about dutch as it is native language) and french definitely the hardest (I also do not know about russian)

#16 Posted by Immortal777 (6824 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: I don't recall saying it was a fact only that I felt it was easier.

#17 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortal777: Well I mean the part where you asked "Why is English here" It's a language lol. I don't know where you live though to be fair, I'm in America, NY and there are tons of people here who try to speak English who have lots of trouble with it. My former job I had lots of Indians, Russians and Chinese come in where I worked and trying to make out their English was definitely a challenge at times.

@attatje said:

I don´t know about asian languages, but as a dutch person I say english and german are the easiest european languages (can't say about dutch as it is native language) and french definitely the hardest (I also do not know about russian)

Yeah, I think if I had to choose I'd learn Japanese(which is still hard for me lol) over Chinese, Chinese just seems way too tough for me personally.

#18 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9397 posts) - - Show Bio

My french teach, native speaker, repeatedly said English was one of the hardest languages for her to learn.

#19 Edited by SilverPool (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

Mandarin Chinese or Russian probably. I've heard that both are really difficult.

The only foreign language I can say from personal experience would be French which isn't overly difficult, but challenging.

#20 Edited by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Chinese by far if you speak English

#21 Edited by Outside_85 (8071 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on where you are born.

#22 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on where you are born.

Good answer. Depends on the person too, some are faster learners then others.

@buttersdaman000 said:

My french teach, native speaker, repeatedly said English was one of the hardest languages for her to learn.

It's funny you say that because my old Italian teacher(who taught Spanish) also spoke English and swore English was the hardest language to learn for him.

#23 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9397 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus:

I think it has to do with the culture of our language. We integrate a lot of slang into everyday speech that could really confuse a foreign speaker. I mean, everybody, even the 'whitest' soccer mom, knows that 'crib' can mean two different things. To a foreigner though, 'at the crib', is probably really confusing. Also, our verb/adjective placement is weird to foreigners, as well as the conjugations that go along with them.

#24 Posted by Nefarious (18574 posts) - - Show Bio

Russian.

#25 Posted by russellmania77 (14538 posts) - - Show Bio

anglish

#26 Posted by Ostyo (6647 posts) - - Show Bio

English, nobody can seem to speak it correctly.

Probably Russian or Japanese next.

#27 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: That's true too, I think it's something people ignore or forget about English. American English, England standard English have TONS Of dialects, slang etc so it's definitely not just Chinese or something lol. So i totally agree. Yeah, that's true too. If you take a southerner with a north American two entirely different ways of speaking English. Some will say "Y'all" and those who say "All of you" depending where you're raised, from and then there's many slang terms as you've stated. The term "mad" often coming from slang and ghetto areas of meaning "so or very much so" may confuse the hell out of someone new to the language or someone from a different area all together...since "mad" technically means "angry, crazy or mentally unbalanced" To a foreigner this would be confusing as hell. lol

#28 Edited by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6917 posts) - - Show Bio

English, Chinese, and Arabic. I would also put any Mayan or Toltec derivative up there as well.

Also, people who say Mandarin is difficult would cry having to learn other dialects of Chinese that are more difficult. For example, Cantonese has six tones (upwards to nine) compared to the Mandarin's four. Also, Cantonese is written in traditional Chinese, compared to Mandarin's simplified Chinese.

#29 Posted by nerdork (4035 posts) - - Show Bio

The language of love....

#30 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

How about what language do Jews speak? Yiddish? That doesn't sound easy lol

#32 Posted by Enemybird (3138 posts) - - Show Bio

Engrish lol

#33 Posted by Rouflex (14748 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no idea but i've heard French is kinda hard to learn.

#34 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

How about the language of music?

#36 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9397 posts) - - Show Bio

@rouflex:

So, I guess everyone has the same learning curve?

#37 Edited by Rouflex (14748 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000:

Not everyone has the same learning process but i used to think that you shouldnt have say this on here since i was thinking that we were talking about facts and not personnal experiences but than i read

Curious, what language does comicvine feel is the most difficult to learn and speak?

So my apologizes

#38 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Engrish lol

LOL

How about the language of music?

music? hmm I guess that's a language in a way right?

#39 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@rouflex: @buttersdaman000 You guys are welcome to post your views and/or if you feel the world in general which is harder. :) Always open to interesting views

#40 Edited by Rouflex (14748 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus said:

@rouflex: @buttersdaman000 You guys are welcome to post your views and/or if you feel the world in general which is harder. :) Always open to interesting views

In general (Fact talking) english shouldnt be on here.

#41 Edited by buttersdaman000 (9397 posts) - - Show Bio

@rouflex said:

@buttersdaman000:

Not everyone has the same learning process but i used to think that you shouldnt have say this on here since i was thinking that we were talking about facts and not personnal experiences but than i read

So my apologizes

Its all good lol

#42 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@rouflex: im not sure I follow. Are you saying you believe english is easy to learn in your opinion? Right?

#43 Posted by Fallschirmjager (14982 posts) - - Show Bio

surprised no one has said a fictional language yet :P

#44 Posted by Rouflex (14748 posts) - - Show Bio

@rouflex: im not sure I follow. Are you saying you believe english is easy to learn in your opinion? Right?

Might not be the easiest one but one of them. I know i have English grammar problems but that doesnt change anything i just said. In life there's opinions and than there's facts.

Have a nice pre-noel(Christmass) day.

#45 Edited by Chibi_cute (4440 posts) - - Show Bio

Elven language.

#46 Posted by lesterlawton (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is English on the list? I think it's one of the easiest for people to learn.

You wouldn't know it after being online for 5 minutes.

#47 Posted by Deadite (20458 posts) - - Show Bio

With the right language it can trigger something in you, and there's no turning back.

#48 Posted by attatje (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

What about klingon

#49 Posted by kyrees (4457 posts) - - Show Bio

korean, due to the part you can offend a korean by using a non honorific way to speak to him

#50 Posted by SanoHibiki (1412 posts) - - Show Bio

Opinions here would be various; sometimes your own native language seems easiest to learn, while for people from other countries it would be very difficult. Anyway, I choosing Chinese – with years I learned how to speak English on acceptable level, but Chinese… God, that was lost cause.