What is so great about Kick-ass?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By waezi2

I have read Kick-ass, and frankly, I dont see whats so great about it. It dosnt realy provoke me(it felt like it was trying to hard), its not that funny, and everyone in the book is kind of a stereotype. And the thing with Daddy, I saw it comming. Its like one of those movies you see in the tele, with explosions and specialefects, and when its done, you dont realy feal anything. And I have this ting with Millar book, I dont hate them, but they are not that good. Sure, Superman Red Son was interesting, but thats it. The idea about real superheroes has been in the air for a long time, and "real" superheroes existed YEARS before Kick-ass. And what about Watchmen? Witch lead me back to my question: What is so great about Kick-ass?

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Inverno

Because people like dark, grim gory stuff and that is 95% of Mark Millar's stuff. Really Kick-Ass concept isn't that original or mind-blowing. I think Wanted has a great concept in other hand, but the message is so heavy-handed that ruined the book for me. I like the movies based in his comics, I think they are far superior in comparison.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

(This is coming from somebody who likes dark, grim stories)

To be perfectly honest, it felt like a juvenile Watchmen to me. As I said, I think it used the blood and cursing the draw in immature kids. It just wasn't my thing.

Now Wanted I enjoyed. It was just a better written story with a more interesting plot.

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By jeanlucpicard

I hear pizza, know why? cause I'm hungry.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By King_Saturn
absolutely nothing
HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By HolySerpent

I only like the movie

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@HolySerpent said:

I only like the movie
Unrealgamer58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Unrealgamer58

It's wack, People just like to hop on to anything popular.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AweSam

@The Man of Yesteryear said:

@HolySerpent said:

I only like the movie
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Meh. I didn't like it.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HBKTimHBK

@AweSam said:

@The Man of Yesteryear said:

@HolySerpent said:

I only like the movie
Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Blood1991

Hit Girl. Thats is the only reason Kick Ass was cool

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

It's not DC or Marvel, thus not mainstream, so people flock to it to be "different" and "hype" when really, it's not that great...even the movie was meh.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Man, everyone's gotta hate on everything on this site. Except if Nolan directs it.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Saren

Nothing, really.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@The Stegman said:

It's not DC or Marvel, thus not mainstream, so people flock to it to be "different" and "hype" when really, it's not that great...even the movie was meh.

It was published by Marvel. Kind of.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

I liked the movie.The comic book wasn't that great but I enjoyed it too.

Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_

@CaioTrubat said:

Because people like dark, grim gory stuff and that is 95% of Mark Millar's stuff. Really Kick-Ass concept isn't that original or mind-blowing. I think Wanted has a great concept in other hand, but the message is so heavy-handed that ruined the book for me. I like the movies based in his comics, I think they are far superior in comparison.

Wanted was boring and the dialogue was cheesy and unbelievably lame. It reminded me of The Boys. Just a bunch of senseless killing and predictable fight scenes and plot action. I liked he Batman/Robin Golden Age reference though. That was pretty sweet how they finally killed the duo and in that way though.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Inverno

@Glitch_Spawn said:

I own the first comic of the first series. That is all. The movie was decent but it's not like I considered reading Kick-ass 2.

Considering the child-killing, gang-rapes and mass murders, its a good thing to avoid it now the violence just turned completely tasteless.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By Queso6p4

I thought it was okay/decent but what I liked most about it was the relationship between Dave and his dad. You don't get that kinda emphasis too much in comics nowadays. I also think the "realistic" take it took on what would happen to superheroes in real life was neat. I thought the movie was great fun, though.

@CaioTrubat: Yeah, I was completely turned off by Kick-Ass 2.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Inverno

@Queso6p4: Its one of the good things about that I agree too... it until the dad was killed in Kick-Ass 2. I remember Tim Drake used to have a great relationship with his father too before he also died in Identity Crisis.

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lady_liberty

What was great about it? Not really anything.

It has strong points, and weak points. Over all the weak points outnumber the strong by a lot. I felt like it was on the lower side of mediocre.

Certainly not 'great' by any stretch of the imagination.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By KainScion

i really liked the big daddy- hit girl relationship (more in the movie, say what you want but cage can play a derranged father. actually come to think of it i dont think he was acting.... look at his kids name) anyhow the comic was enjoyable too. mostly due to hit girl.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@KainScion said:

i really liked the big daddy- hit girl relationship (more in the movie, say what you want but cage can play a derranged father. actually come to think of it i dont think he was acting.... look at his kids name) anyhow the comic was enjoyable too. mostly due to hit girl.

Same. I didnt care for the overall movie, just the scenes with Hit Girl and BD. Everything else was just filler in my opinion.
Avatar image for darth_brendroid
darth_brendroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By darth_brendroid

My favourite part of the movie I think was at the end where Red Mist quotes Nicholson's Joker. Also Hit Girl was good. I haven't read the original comics.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By cyberninja

@CitizenBane said:

Nothing, really.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing, the movie really sucked

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Guardiandevil83

While I enjoy Death Match, Sword of Dracula, and Invincible, as far as meaning and wit with my blood and gore, I also Like "Dude" comedy like Road Trip, American Pie, and Army of Darkness.

I mean for the most part my mood goes into my source of Entertainment as far as Comics and Film. So I pretty much know when to expect low brow nonsense. In that way I have a better appreciation for the sh!t in front of me.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AllStarSuperman

noooo! I would have voted kick-ass. It was amazing. Better then the comic. And that's coming from the guy who just played 112.50 dollars for it. Kick-Ass the movie was brilliant. It had great music. It was very funny. Over the top action. If you watch the movie with commentary you'll realize why stuff had to be changed. The movie made kick ass more heroic. And it made red mist not a sick psychopath. Frank Demico was much better then John Genovese. The bazooka and jetpack were the big payoff scene. After all the drama you just watched. You need that "pick me up" "heck yeah!" "Go kick-ass" feeling. And if the katie/Dave relationship ended the way it did in the comics the general audience would have been turn off and grossed out.

I said the stuff above in any other thread. Its about the movie versions. When I get the comics I'll read them and say what I liked.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

slight shock value to the masses otherwise, it didn't strike me as anything great