• 67 results
#1 Posted by Phylos (3049 posts) - - Show Bio

i hear & see the term being thrown around a lot (not on the vine), and i was just wondering, whats bad about it? or even good?

sorry if this has been covered already.

-phylos

#2 Posted by HeManWomanHater (72 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by TheNooseIsLoose (1921 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by KainScion (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

wow. i must be old. i thought hipster meant a hypocritical mobster/comunist combo guy. like jimmy hoffa, with the unions and all.

#5 Posted by _Sojourn_ (19598 posts) - - Show Bio

@HeManWomanHater said:

This guy

Not exactly

@Phylos: A hipster is sort of a new wave hippie... Someone who is able to live outside of the mainstream and in it as well...Because hipsters are widely seen as dirty and grungy, they've become known negatively when perceived

#6 Posted by Billy Batson (59004 posts) - - Show Bio

aztek the lost
BB

#7 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19740 posts) - - Show Bio

People who've been labeled Hipsters

\

David Bowie

M.I.A.

Hipster is a loose term. It has a few meanings. The few I know of are...

• It's used as an attempt to categorize "weird", "unconventional" people who aren't apart of groupthink
  • A person who goes out of there way to embrace everything but the mainstream culture/society (A tool)
#8 Posted by Mr. Dead Pool (3026 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who still wears a fedora, which means I fall into the category

#9 Posted by The Stegman (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

she describes a hipster perfectly in this song
#10 Posted by joshmightbe (25858 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone under 70 with a handle bar mustache

#11 Posted by ssejllenrad (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

A happy emo.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (25858 posts) - - Show Bio

A person who claims to love irony while at the same time not really understanding the concept

#13 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29814 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheNooseIsLoose said:

LMFAO

#14 Posted by rogue_mar1e (20180 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't like the mainstream stuffs.

#15 Posted by cattlebattle (14074 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I can see from the comments on this thread......

Nobody really knows

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (25858 posts) - - Show Bio

they all conform to what the rest of the group thinks is cool while claiming to be anti conformity

#17 Posted by ragdollpurps (16840 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr. Mercury said:

• It's used as an attempt to categorize "weird", "unconventional" people who aren't apart of groupthink
  • A person who goes out of there way to embrace everything but the mainstream culture/society (A tool)

Except they unwittingly partake in groupthink through their mass aversion to all things mainstream. Hipsters are people who flock to the counterculture out of a feeling of superiority over those who follow the status quo. They indulge themselves in things that would be seemingly 'uncool' because of their need to be 'unique', which in turn makes those 'uncool' things 'cool' and 'trendy', so they say things like "Oh I knew about them before they became popular." or will put people down for liking something that's currently popular. I do that to my friends jokingly, but they're serious about it.

I'd also say that calling David Bowie and M.I.A hipsters is a misnomer. They're eccentric artists and are truly unique, so hipsters are fans of them, but they themselves are not hipsters.

#18 Posted by cyberninja (10496 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if I gave them any thought I would probably hate them too.

#19 Posted by danhimself (21225 posts) - - Show Bio

Urban Dictionary defines it as this

#20 Posted by Owie (4545 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a long, super-detailed article about the definition of hipsters. I think it's great and right on the money.

It has many great definitions, including wannabe "rebel consumer." I.e., somebody who defines his rebellion through the coolness of the stuff he buys, thus attempting to define transgression through ownership and taste rather than actual action.

Plus, this website, which has a decidedly non-kid friendly name, is dedicated to defining hipsters through visual evidence: http://www.latfh.com/

#21 Posted by OmegaTheDestroyer (1060 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by MoodyKingMoron (192 posts) - - Show Bio

There are varying definitions and subcatagories of hipsters. Most of the time, it's anybody who tends to dress like the crude drawing above. Sadly, I'm sligthly able to get away with wearing my Secret Wars t-shirt by pretending to be a hipster. I don't look pretty enough to completely get off scott free though. A lot of the hipsters where I live are the fake nerd variety. They're all the cool kids from high school who decided to be alternative to be cool again, that means dressing like Napoleon Dynamite for some reason. The fake nerds I can never understand and I generally think that most people who wear nerdy shirts with TMNT, GI Joe, any retro cartoon logos on them are wannabe hipsters. Funny how hipsters fail to realize how nerds actually dress.

#23 Posted by CATPANEXE (9505 posts) - - Show Bio

Like most catchphrases, too many actual definitions and most of them eventually contradicting themselves to actually say.

I original thought it meant something to the effect of a person who outwardly embraces things they believe will make them

perceived by the peers as " hip " or " cool ", but none of those things hold any real meaning to them nor actually define them

as a person or character.

#24 Posted by Sempurna (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Hipsters are the reason all forms of entertainment suck.

#25 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1726 posts) - - Show Bio
This guy.
#26 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6711 posts) - - Show Bio

NOTE TO MODERATORS: I didn't make the video, I just posted it. So don;t flag me.

#27 Posted by Mr. Mercury (19740 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE said:

Like most catchphrases, too many actual definitions and most of them eventually contradicting themselves to actually say.

I original thought it meant something to the effect of a person who outwardly embraces things they believe will make them

perceived by the peers as " hip " or " cool ", but none of those things hold any real meaning to them nor actually define them

as a person or character.

I agree.

#28 Posted by Samimista (21696 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Project_Worm (3730 posts) - - Show Bio
@Samimista:  
My girlfriend has hipster glasses.......... I dislike.
#30 Posted by joshmightbe (25858 posts) - - Show Bio

I was called a hipster at the mall once for wearing an Incredible Hulk shirt which sucks cause over half the shirts I own have something comic related on them

#31 Posted by Samimista (21696 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I was called a hipster at the mall once for wearing an Incredible Hulk shirt which sucks cause over half the shirts I own have something comic related on them

I need to get some comic shirts. Maybe I'll look online for some for Christmas.

#32 Posted by joshmightbe (25858 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista: You can usually find them at Hot Topic but I'm not allowed in Hot Topic due to my strong belief that no one should wear a T shirt of a band that they've never heard a song from and can't even name a single member of said band

#33 Posted by Samimista (21696 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Lol I agree it's silly. I'll have to check at Hot Topic. I know for sure I want an orange shirt of Aquaman.

#34 Posted by cosmo111687 (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

Well@ragdollpurps said:

@Mr. Mercury said:

Except they unwittingly partake in groupthink through their mass aversion to all things mainstream. Hipsters are people who flock to the counterculture out of a feeling of superiority over those who follow the status quo. They indulge themselves in things that would be seemingly 'uncool' because of their need to be 'unique', which in turn makes those 'uncool' things 'cool' and 'trendy', so they say things like "Oh I knew about them before they became popular." or will put people down for liking something that's currently popular. I do that to my friends jokingly, but they're serious about it.

I'd also say that calling David Bowie and M.I.A hipsters is a misnomer. They're eccentric artists and are truly unique, so hipsters are fans of them, but they themselves are not hipsters.

What Ragdollpurps said, but also there's a distinct fashion sense that goes along with it, usually favoring skinny jeans, cardigans and jumpers, plad, thick-framed glasses, clothing with elements pop culture, etc.

However, I would like to say that it is usually a derogatory term and I would caution people to not apply it to people so frequently to others and to just be critical of condescension, pretentiousness, and cultural misappropriation in general without attaching it to any particular fashion style or (vaguely) defined groups of people. That way people can be judged more often by their actions than by the clothing they like to wear, or the music they like to listen to, or even the cigarettes they like to smoke or the television shows they like to watch.

#35 Posted by riri4life (7684 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically str8 guys tryin to be gay.

....it's "the new black" if u haven't heard. ;)

#36 Posted by Phylos (3049 posts) - - Show Bio

@riri4life:

#37 Posted by one_upper (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

@MoodyKingMoron said:

There are varying definitions and subcatagories of hipsters. Most of the time, it's anybody who tends to dress like the crude drawing above. Sadly, I'm sligthly able to get away with wearing my Secret Wars t-shirt by pretending to be a hipster. I don't look pretty enough to completely get off scott free though. A lot of the hipsters where I live are the fake nerd variety. They're all the cool kids from high school who decided to be alternative to be cool again, that means dressing like Napoleon Dynamite for some reason. The fake nerds I can never understand and I generally think that most people who wear nerdy shirts with TMNT, GI Joe, any retro cartoon logos on them are wannabe hipsters. Funny how hipsters fail to realize how nerds actually dress.

Don't you dare besmirch TMNT and G.I. Joe t-shirts!

#38 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1726 posts) - - Show Bio
Hipster Hitler
#39 Posted by mikethekiller (8571 posts) - - Show Bio

#40 Posted by jakeeboi17 (4401 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently I'm a 'hipster' because I dress nicely, wear expensive things and have a quiff...

#41 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1350 posts) - - Show Bio

@jakeeboi17:

No you're a hipster because I can clearly see your hips, hip flexors, and I imagine most of your ass in that avatar...nice six pack by the way. You workout?

#42 Posted by jakeeboi17 (4401 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheWitchingHour: I do workout! Haha

#43 Posted by moywar700 (3013 posts) - - Show Bio

"my favorite fruit is an obscure one."

#44 Posted by TDK_1997 (15764 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheNooseIsLoose said:

LMAO

#45 Posted by Bearded Justice (788 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

that movie was beyond amazing and was an even better book series

i hope im not a hipster, but i feel like some people would say i am

#46 Posted by jeanlucpicard (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e said:

They don't like the mainstream stuffs.

#47 Posted by moywar700 (3013 posts) - - Show Bio

hipsters love triangles because they fit everywhere and people don't wear it and that's the irony of the triangles

#48 Posted by comicace3 (7709 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you have to go through trials to become a hipster, I mean my sister became one..

#49 Posted by KittyParker13 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

The point of Hipster is to like things before it's cool. They typically wear the big glasses and are very annoying.

#50 Posted by comicace3 (7709 posts) - - Show Bio

The point of Hipster is to like things before it's cool. They typically wear the big glasses and are very annoying.

I thought they liked things that used to be cool. Like 90's clothes.