What is a Bait Thread? How to avoid making one?

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Some say that I am a a habitual offender, can you tell me how to avoid making one?

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@overlordarhas: Who said you were and what thread were they referring to? If you post a link to the thread then I may be able to answer.

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By OverLordArhas

@overlordarhas: Who said you were and what thread were they referring to? If you post a link to the thread then I may be able to answer.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic-5/why-do-you-think-man-clings-to-the-idea-of-god-1493595/

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@overlordarhas said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic-5/why-do-you-think-man-clings-to-the-idea-of-god-1493595/

Ah I see. Yeah. As you probably well know religious related topics are sensitive issues for some people. They don't like talking about religion and tend to try and force that expectation on others. Post that question on the religion thread and people like myself who actually like to and are capable of talking about such subjects will. Because I do think you posed a genuinely interesting question.

I can see that your thread was not intended as a bait thread (basically a bait thread is set up to get a rise or a particular reaction out of people to use the thread as bait to get an angry response if you will. Since you actually posed an actual question that again is worth talking about.

But people called a bait likely due to the fact they felt angry/upset and offended and felt that it was trying to bait people.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Maybe instead of making the OP sound like your saying "Why do you lie to yourself about god?" and post it as "Why do you believe in God?" it would sound better and not like a slap in the face right away.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@hero92 said:

Maybe instead of making the OP sound like your saying "Why do you lie to yourself about god?" and post it as "Why do you believe in God?" it would sound better and not like a slap in the face right away.

That's what I was thinking. It's all about phrasing. A lot of people here, whether religious or not, are more than happy to discuss their beliefs. But they will understandably take offense if you come at it from an "I'm right, you're wrong" point of view.

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Trolling and making pointless yet witty threads you know will cause controversy (I.e. Goku vs. Superman).

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You avoid one by not being a jerk. Not saying that you are or were, but just as a general thing.