What I Would Do: Comic Book Events

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By moviegeek17

I have been a frequent comic book reader for two years now, and in that span i've read through 4 huge events and several mini events. And from all that reading and money spent i've come to a conclusion. Huge events like fear itself and flashpoint work work best when there aren't huge events year by year. Back when i was a kid watching the superhero cartoons of the 90's i always had wanted to see every hero team up for a single threat and i think part of that reason besides me being a kid was that it didn't happen to often at the time. Nowadays its just a given to have every hero in your universe team up in a huge comic event and honestly that kind of loses some of the coolness that it had for me when i was a kid. Don't get me wrong i've been enjoying both flashpoint and fear itself, it's just that comic book events shouldn't be every year that way when they do happen they become a huge deal again.

So here's what i would do if i was running marvel or dc (taking sales out of account), i'd make the books be entirely about their title and not tie in to the huge event of the year, that way someone's run doesn't get interrupted by whats going on with the event. Kinda like the way comics were in the 80's. I would however throw in a widowmaker styled event once or twice a year which keeps to the confines of its book without tying in and only has a small cast of characters. And whenever i do decide to put a huge event out there it might only be once or twice in a decade so when it does happen its something to take seriously. For example part of the reason why i think infinity gauntlet is such a great marvel event (besides the fact its a great story) is that it wasn't often that so many heroes were gathered together to fight a single enemy, so you knew it was a big deal when everyone gathered together to fight thanos.

I know this might seem like i hate events but i really don't i've enjoyed the ones i have read but at the same time i don't need one every year, i am more then content with reading all the single character books i have from the respective companies and have the crazy threats coming into the team books. So what do you guys think of my plan? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By turoksonofstone

You make a lot of great points, monthly self contained stories or short 2 issue arcs are the way to go, this is why Modern Comics fail. I remember the 80's Marvel's and you could pick up any title and feel like you could follow it going forward, no need to pick up 52 ancillary books. Oh and Yes! The Original crossovers were special, Secret Wars I and II, COIE, Infinity Gauntlet, all classics. 

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By moviegeek17
@turoksonofstone
Thanks man, the sad thing is i enjoy modern comics but at the same time i'm reading through walt simmonson's thor run right now and its so great and the best part is i know i could have started at any of those issues and i would still get the same story i would have if i was with it from the start. I guess modern comics have lost that simplicity and just plain fun that is jsut so abundant in that comic. or maybe im going a bit too far im not sure yet lol
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By turoksonofstone
@moviegeek17:  
The Companies themselves have changed at a fundamental level, and have lost touch with their target audience as well as their actual audience, I fear it will just get worse. 
moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By moviegeek17
@turoksonofstone
I'm not entirely sure if its that bad yet. i think they're just a little too focused on getting new readers and are swinging for the fences too much when some things could be simple character arc stories and runs. There are some writers that i think still have those fantastic story runs that i love about comics like fraction, brubaker and snyder but some characters for me are overblown the most obvious ones being wolverine and psidey who i truly do love on their character level but don't have any business being in as many books as theyre in. i don't mind them being on avengers but i do mind them being on multiple teams. its called pick one and stick with it.
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By turoksonofstone

I hear you, we'll have to wait and see..

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By moviegeek17
@turoksonofstone
yep i suppose we shall