What Games Hold a Special Place in Your Heart?

• 75 results
goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We've all had that special game, that one that reached in and touched our hearts. So come friends, come and share. What is your favorite game of all time, and why? I'll start.

My favorite game would have to be Sleeping Dogs. When I first started the game, I was thinking "So basically GTA in China". But then I got into it, I started getting more into the story. The game has a way of really connecting you with it, of making you feel so much for the main character. It's no slouch in gameplay either, but if you ever plan on playing it, it's story is the reason you'll keep playing. It like most other games has DLC. And once again, the game's best DLC would be the story packs. Now that i've shared, it's your turn. What is your favorite game?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

• FFX
  • FFX-2
  • Dragon Age: Origins
goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon Yellow- It was the first video game I've ever owned and played back when I was only five. It holds a very special place in my heart. Unfortunately I lost the game and my gameboy when I moved.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil May Cry

Batman Arkham Knight and love the ending too.

drangball Xenoverse

Gta 5

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma: I could see how you'd grown attached.

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panther21: Those games are a bit new, but who am I to judge.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8 JediXMan  Moderator

Favorite or nostalgic? Those are different things.

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Hey man, whatever game you all around think is your personal favorite.

Avatar image for naamah_obyzouth
Naamah_Obyzouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Skyrim and Yakuza 4.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KingWillie

Mass Effect 1 and 2. And Telltale's Walking Dead season one holds the weighty achievement of being the only game ever to make me cry like a baby.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tough choice, but I think it's probably Skyrim

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Mass Effect trilogy.

schillenger420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The various Rock Bands because I work in the entertainment industry as a stagehand. After working some show and getting cut at 2am my co-workers and I would go back to my place and drink beer, smoke weed, and Rock Band it up until dawn. those were the days.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness

Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Gears of War 2 & 3 most recently. Feels were felt :(

RIP Dom and Maria

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Static Shock

Here goes....

The Witcher 2: The Assassin of Kings - I was heavy into Elder Scrolls and Fallout before I knew about the Witcher 2. So, I was kinda bias. I had already played through both Skyrim and Fallout 3, so I needed something to hold me over because I wasn't in the mood to buy DLC for those games. At that time, I was playing Kingdoms of Amalur, which I thought was pretty good. So, I looked up gameplay for Witcher 2, and I was somewhat intrigued. When I finally picked up the game, and began playing it on the hardest difficulty (Dark Mode), I no longer looked at Elder Scrolls and Fallout the same. In fact, it made me scrutinize both titles significantly. I even decided not to finish Amalur, because it paled in comparison to Witcher 2 (and the former was released nearly a year before the latter). Witcher 2 was just about everything I wanted in an action RPG. It was mature-themed, and the narrative was so much better than a lot of other RPGs of its time. The most interesting feature was that your choices in the game effected the story, setting, characters and atmosphere. This dictated the paths taken in the game and the type of ending you'd end up with. The combat system was phenomenal, and due to the game's difficulty, strategy was involved. This game was my bread and butter, as I had played through it three times. The game got more and more enjoyable each playthrough. It may not have had an open world or the numerous gameplay options like Skyrim, but it did a lot of other things better than Skyrim did. Sometimes having less is better than having more, in my opinion. I daresay that this is my favorite action RPG, hands down.

Halo 3 - The one Halo game that I spent countless hours on while in college. I managed to get caught up with Halo and Halo 2 before playing this. Halo 2 is what got me into the franchise, and I completely sucked at that game for some reason. I did have moments were I would play pretty well, though. Apart from that, Halo 2 never had me hype for the franchise. But, when Halo 3 came out, it elevated my interest. I was better at this game than I was at Halo 2. There were multiple game modes to hold me over for almost three years until my third Xbox 360 gave out on me due to RROD. But, I was mainly a Slayer guy, as well as a Big Team Battle guy, too. I quickly adjusted to the new weapons in the game and I managed to get the hang of using the Battle Rifle effectively. With the numerous hours put into the games, I was failing and/or barely passing my classes, so I sorta kinda regret the amount of time I put into Halo 3. I talked a lot of trash in this game, too. I'm talking vitriol.It was serious.

Street Fighter 4 - When this game was announced, I was extremely pumped for it. It was yet another game that prevented me from passing my classes. LOL. Understand that this was the first Street Fighter game I had played since Third Strike. There was a ten-year gap between that game and SF4. My hype for this made me open up a few threads here in the off-topic forum. When the game was released, a lot of us here on the Vine shared gamertags and played against each other. I put a lot of practice into this game, and eventually became really good. My win percentage online was 76%, and my mains were Sagat, Fei Long, and Ryu. I even competed on the tournament level in the Street Fighter IV National Tournament, sponsored by Gamestop. I was the best in Valdosta, GA at the time, and eventually made it to Round 3 but I didn't make it past the preliminaries. I continued to play the game and all of its expansions, but I wasn't able to play it consistently like I used to. So, my skill diminished greatly.

Pokemon Silver - Good Lord. I won this game from a cereal box sweepstakes. When it came in the mail, I was hysterical. I had played the other Pokemon games before it, so I was well-acquainted with this one. This was the only game I played after the school, and it was on my younger cousin's Game Boy Color, since I didn't have one of my own. It renewed my interest in Pokemon after the Johto League became relevant. In fact, it made me appreciate the Johto League even more. I was extremely excited to have three of my favorite Pokemon - Heracross (all-time favorite), Hitmonchan, and Scyther/Scizor - all on the same team. Even after beating the game, I kept playing it, trying to catch more and more Pokemon to increase my Pokedex. I ended up losing this game years later. Fell out of my pocket somehow while walking home from a friend's house.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - I played this game years after it came out. Motivated by Castlevania: Dracula X, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Super Castlevania IV, I downloaded SotN from Xbox Live, and in spite of all of the newer games coming out at the time, this game managed to keep my attention for a while. Someone told me that it could be the greatest action platformer ever made. While that's debatable, I can see why someone would think that. The environment was similar to Metroid (the whole Metroidvania thing), but then it had RPG elements in the game, too. The bestiary was vast, and the game was pretty challenging, as well. Alucard had these magical attacks that were inputted like commands in a fighting game, and I had a blast playing with Richter Belmont, mainly because of his Item Crash special abilities, which made the game a lot more enjoyable.

Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master - The quintessential ninja game. I went into this game thinking that it would play exactly like the Revenge of Shinobi (an honorable mention). But, it exceeded my expectations. It played better than its predecessor. Gameplay was faster and more responsive. There were a multitude of new moves, and the game's soundtrack was phenomenal. When I first played this game, I was a member of the Boys and Girls Club. I had just completed the eighth grade at the time, and many of the younger kids wanted me to play the game for them. The audience in the room increased the further I got into the game. But, I was so amazed by it that I completely forgot that there were other people in the room. This is greater than all of the Ninja Gaiden games, and the only ninja game that I've played through numerous times.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - When I first played this game in the seventh grade, I had no idea what it was. Then, I remembered the classic Legend of Zelda game that I played on the Nintendo and quickly made the connection. Although I played the first Zelda game, I didn't get very far. I was also in the first grade, so a game like that didn't keep my attention for very long and I immediately forgot that it existed. It took me forever to finish the first dungeon in OoT, and when I did, reality no longer matter to me. It was the first time that I had ever been introduced to a fantasy world with an interesting and immersive story. Back then, this game was so vast, so open... So many things to do. The combat system was ahead of its time, and IIRC, such a gameplay mechanic like Z-Targeting paved the way for similar gameplay mechanics in other games, specifically action RPG titles. Like the other games above, I played through this multiple times, acquiring new items and learning new things about the game. It was the first Zelda that I had ever beaten, and the only one that held my attention the longest. It was my gateway to other Zelda games, like Link's Awakening (completed this one, too), A Link to the Past (didn't keep my attention, however), the Phantom Hourglass (didn't finish this one), the Minish Cap (completed this), and Twilight Princess (I still plan to complete this one).

Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Metal Gear Solid 3, Final Fantasy VIII, Dragon Quest VIII, Seiken Densetsu 3, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Kingdom Hearts and NBA Street Vol. 2 are also among this list. I've played a lot of great games over the years, but I have an emotional attachment to the games listed in this post.

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crash team racing

It came out in 1999 and mario cart STILL can't compare. The game mechanics and controls are so damn perfect, its like playing a freaking dream.

swiftbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WoW

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Lego Star Wars The Complete saga

Mario kart Wii

Pokemon Black

Pokemon Blue

Assassins Creed 2

Halo 3

Call of Duty: Black Ops

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed II is the first game I ever truly loved.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bully/Canis Canem Edit.

It's almost 10 years old:

Loading Video...

zr0c00l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

final fantasy 7 opened my eyes to rpgs and i been playing them since.. story graphics and gameplay way ahead of its time.

shenmue too now that i think about it.

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By goatzilla

@static_shock: Between this and my other thread, you are indeed brilliant, especially with your Halo 3 choice.

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BUMP.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bully/Canis Canem Edit.

It's almost 10 years old:

Loading Video...

Really good Game

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By righteous300

Kingdom Hearts

WoW

Dead Space

Witcher 3

MGS5

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Bioshock and Ori and the Blind Forest

No Caption Provided

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Modern Warfare 2.

The "No Russian" mission was an all time great.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Metroid

Tetris

Baldur's Gate

Torment

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom hearts, super smash bros, final fantasy 12, marvel ultimate alliance, and dragon ball z budokai 3

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ir1t-4t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ir1t-4t

@superdrummer: Right? My siblings don't even let me join anymore when they're playing, I got so good. It kinda makes me wish I hadn't loved it quite so much, so I could've been less good, and only schooled them most of the time. Darn my CTR love!

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Mass Effect, Pokemon and the Entire Kingdom Hearts series

Ir1t-4t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ir1t-4t

@shanana: All of it? Even 3D and its convoluted plot even by KH standards?

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ir1t-4t said:

@shanana: All of it? Even 3D and its convoluted plot even by KH standards?

3D was a bit of a reach, but yeah I still love it. I typically have to continue reading the continuity so I don't get utterly confused.

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

-Battlefront 2

-Sid Meier's Civilization V

-Mario Party... Not sure which number, but all of them most likely.

-Smash Bros.

-Ok, tbh, I have no idea what it is called, but I loved this game because of it's concept. Your character went up this giant tower, and drew a bunch of stuff that was in the tower with you? I think you drew enemies, too, but I'm not sure. I played it on PS2. The gameplay was garbage, but nowadays I sometimes wish there was a WiiU version for it or something.

-Arkham City

-Castle Crashers. I used to play this till, like, midnight with my brother and his friends.

Ir1t-4t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shanana: I didn't actually play the game, I just watched the cutscenes on Youtube and it kinda turned me off from trying it. Is it fun enough to justify sitting through the story? Because it'd have to be pretty dang fun.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ir1t-4t said:

@shanana: I didn't actually play the game, I just watched the cutscenes on Youtube and it kinda turned me off from trying it. Is it fun enough to justify sitting through the story? Because it'd have to be pretty dang fun.

LOL not really

Ir1t-4t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shanana: So what you're saying is, I should pass on 2.8, and just wait for 3?

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ir1t-4t said:

@shanana: So what you're saying is, I should pass on 2.8, and just wait for 3?

I would unless you want to play the Fragmentary Passage,

Ir1t-4t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shanana: I only vaguely have an of idea what that is. I think it's from that KHX thing, so I'd probably pass on it, too.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ir1t-4t said:

@shanana: I only vaguely have an of idea what that is. I think it's from that KHX thing, so I'd probably pass on it, too.

I think I'm going to get it just to have the whole collection

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Shadow the Hedgehog.

Ir1t-4t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ir1t-4t

@shanana: By the power of Googlestone, I've discovered I was wrong. I kinda wanna get it now, even though I liked Ven better. Seriously, I just loved that final fight, where you do the finisher, and then its like you're a ray of light, and you go tchoo tchoo tchoo straight through Vanitas and... Sorry, what was I saying? Oh yeah, Fragmentary Passage. I am now interested. Google learns something new for you everyday, huh? I'm done derailing now, I promise.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KingWillie

Oh and also Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Donkey Country 1 and 2, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Jurassic Park 2: Chaos Continues, all on SNES and also Star Wars Battlefront 2.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ir1t-4t said:

@shanana: By the power of Googlestone, I've discovered I was wrong. I kinda wanna get it now, even though I liked Ven better. Seriously, I just loved that final fight, where you do the finisher, and then its like you're a ray of light, and you go tchoo tchoo tchoo straight through Vanitas and... Sorry, what was I saying? Oh yeah, Fragmentary Passage. I am now interested. Google learns something new for you everyday, huh? I'm done derailing now, I promise.

Yeah, I'm kind of interested to see what gets tied up, or how haywire the story will go with the passage

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers