• 53 results
#1 Edited by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Note: This has nothing to do with the Creepy Thread. This is about things that unnerve you, and not just look scary. Yes, it might be creepy, but this is from personal opinion, both mine and you guys.

Okay, so this semester I am taking Science Fiction literature. Specifically technology (robots, androids, time machines etc.) I f*cking love the class, but we've been talking about levels of Unheimlich (" the uncanny" according to Sigmund Freud). And it genuinely unnerves me with all our talk of "uncanny valley" and Industrial Revolution paranoia over technology.

Classic example being porcelain dolls that make Chucky look cute.

Now I will admit there are things out there that freak me out, even though I've desensitized myself to a lot of the things that gave me the shakes when I was a kid. The biggest one was an exposed living brain in full HD in a National Geographic magazine I was curious to read in the 5th grade.

I can't find what I saw, but I remember it being a brain bloody with the brain case peeled back. It's not something you encourage children to see at a young age back then.

Other things that unnerve me, I see in video game promos. At first it doesn't bug me, but then when I reflect on it, it scares me.

For example, this:

#2 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiders.

Don't come at me, spider-man.

#3 Posted by CptPanda29 (211 posts) - - Show Bio

Body modifications. Not for me at all.

#4 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17884 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiders and snakes.

#5 Posted by The Stegman (23962 posts) - - Show Bio

Bees, wasps, hornets, or any other flying, stinging insect.

#6 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic:

@mrdecepticonleader:

You guys are more normal then I am. I think snakes are cute and try to avoid killing spiders (I actually leave Daddy Long Legs alone if they're in my room.)

Basilisks though and Aragog....now those are creepy.

#7 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4235 posts) - - Show Bio

Horses..I'm pretty sure I have trypophobia as well. That's about it though.

#8 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a very irrational fear of clowns and swimming in large bodies of water.

#9 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17884 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

@The_Lunact_And_Manic:

@mrdecepticonleader:

You guys are more normal then I am. I think snakes are cute and try to avoid killing spiders (I actually leave Daddy Long Legs alone if they're in my room.)

Basilisks though and Aragog....now those are creepy.

Aren't they basically just giant versions of snakes and spiders. I don't kill spiders and Daddy Long Legs don't freak me out.

#10 Posted by longbowhunter (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

Owls! They're beautiful, but I am deathly scared of them. I had goosebumps the whole time I was looking for a picture to use here.

#11 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope: I don't kill spiders..

I get the hell out of the room as fast I can..

Some time ago I stayed 1hr in the streets because a giant spider was in my house..yeah..that's phobia..I know T_T

#12 Posted by Xwraith (17319 posts) - - Show Bio

The idea that the entire universe could come to an end.

#13 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

Ben

#14 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader:

I guess it's because they where designed to look like mutated actual animals that's unnerving (just imagine me curled into a ball in the theater hearing Fawks the Phoenix skewer the eyes of the mega-sized snake.)

Although I do love the design of the Basilisk. I just would've liked it more similar to the original myth (a giant almost bird like snake creature).

#15 Posted by cattlebattle (12697 posts) - - Show Bio
@joeagentofhand1 said:

Ben

Haha, I remember two years ago on Halloween  I read the Ben story and took my N64 and Majoras Mask  out of my room that night. The kid who made up that story and manipulated the game was a visionary.
#16 Posted by ToO_RaW (1116 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Spiders and snakes.

Exact same.

I used to go around the neighborhood and collect spiders with my bare hands as a kid. When I was about 12 I picked up a monstrous one and as I was holding it by the abdomen we looked into each others eyes and then the little ****** bit me. Hurt like a mother and ever since then I've had nightmares about giant spiders that won't let me pass or ones that chase me. LOL.

#17 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17884 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xwraith said:

The idea that the entire universe could come to an end.

The universe is an incredibly large place.What do you mean to an end?

@mrdecepticonleader:

I guess it's because they where designed to look like mutated actual animals that's unnerving (just imagine me curled into a ball in the theater hearing Fawks the Phoenix skewer the eyes of the mega-sized snake.)

Although I do love the design of the Basilisk. I just would've liked it more similar to the original myth (a giant almost bird like snake creature).

Not a harry potter fan.I agree though.

#18 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

Some time ago I stayed 1hr in the streets because a giant spider was in my house..yeah..that's phobia..I know T_T

You think that's nuts? I've several time been close to running off of ledges to get away from bees.

#19 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17884 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Lunact_And_Manic said:

You think that's nuts? I've several time been close to running off of ledges to get away from bees.

Its the wasps you have to watch out for.

Bzzzzz

#20 Edited by Samimista (20686 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to be a bit freaked out by snakes but Metal Gear actually helped get myself over it. I love snakes now actually. I think they're very beautiful and tend to be misunderstood by humans.

#21 Posted by Xwraith (17319 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been hypothesized that everything could drift far enough apart and become so cold that there would be nowhere that could support life.

#22 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Bushwhacker_ (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiders...

#24 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

My sister has a severe allergy to bee pollen.  I decided as a little boy that it was far better for me to take it and get the stinger, killing the bee, than to risk her life.

My phobia involves scalpels, hypodermics and, worst of all, scissors.  I hide them, dull them, break them, etc.  The medical fetish is definitely not for me.  I see a white uniform (which, ironically, I now wear) coming at me, and I want to run.  Makes it awkward meeting with my contemporaries.

Tortuous, in a way.

#25 Posted by akbogert (3217 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: Owls can be creepy. That creepiness can be hilarious. As evidenced here (note: contains nsfw language in .gif description)

As OP mentioned Child's Play, I'll go with that. Merely seeing a commercial for the movie as a child traumatized me for years. Something about the idea of an evil toy just really gets to me, particularly when it's completely indestructible. Marionettes fall under a similar category. I'm not bothered by them when they're being used, but whenever I see one by itself I just get this sense it's about to turn and look at me. Not cool.

...I love spiders as long as they don't surprise me. I wish there were more snakes in my life as well.

#26 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17884 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xwraith said:

It's been hypothesized that everything could drift far enough apart and become so cold that there would be nowhere that could support life.

Interesting theory

#27 Posted by longbowhunter (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: That looks like one of my nightmares.

#28 Posted by Pyrogram (36553 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiders ..*shiver*

#29 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bushwhacker_ said:

Spiders...

Me and you both man...

I'd rather fight Jason Voorhees than have a living spider anywhere on my body.

#30 Posted by ToO_RaW (1116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xwraith said:

Freaky.

#31 Posted by akbogert (3217 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: Understandable.

#32 Posted by Edamame (28084 posts) - - Show Bio

Stink bugs.

#33 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5521 posts) - - Show Bio

Worms and maggots

#34 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (21877 posts) - - Show Bio

Creatures from the deep.

#35 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3761 posts) - - Show Bio

Adult Swim

#36 Posted by kuonphobos (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

small things like evil children and animated dolls which can move really fast and stay just out of sight

and clowns

#37 Posted by judasnixon (6493 posts) - - Show Bio

Heights and Mayonnaise, I can't even watch people eat mayo without gagging, and I live in the south they put F-ing mayonnaise on everything.

#38 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7420 posts) - - Show Bio

Last week I thought I lost $20 took me 3hr of searching to remember I loaned it out.

#39 Posted by JediXMan (30342 posts) - - Show Bio

Hypodermic needles.

#40 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

F*** cat faces.

#41 Posted by Bushwhacker_ (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Health clinic

#42 Posted by spartan92 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

Insects of any kind.

#43 Posted by Alchemax_7 (347 posts) - - Show Bio

Michael Bay

#44 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter:

#45 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Comicvine.

I'm a death defying adrenaline junkie, I swear.

#46 Edited by scorpion2501 (5509 posts) - - Show Bio

Fish creep me out.They look like demons and aliens.

Scary shit dude

#47 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18022 posts) - - Show Bio

My reflection. yes i'm that awesome.

aaaaaaaaaaand occasionally science

#48 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@StMichalofWilson:

New Toonami is worse. All they play that's decent in Inuyasha...and everybody knows it's all filler! D:>

#49 Posted by Mannequin (252 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm absolutely terrified of bugs, and arachnids. I can't even look at a picture of one of the two without having somewhat of an anxiety attack.

#50 Posted by BumpyBoo (8588 posts) - - Show Bio

Billy Bear meat (or skinned teddy bear faces, as my dad used to call them O_O)

People behind me

Woodlice

Moderator Online