What Do You Think Of When You Think British?

• 118 results
Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Roxanne Starr

@spiderbat87 said:

@Roxanne Starr said:

@spiderbat87:

The British may have the best teeth NOW.

But the stereotype started a long time ago...that's why it's called a stereotype...It happened over time.

BTW...all stereotypes are ROOTED in the trust. (That means that when they got started, they were true.)

Well that cant be true for every stereotype

It IS true for EVERY stereotype.

A stereotype doesn't get started unless an overwhelmingly large percentage of the people in that stereotype fit that description.

doublezeroduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By doublezeroduck

I think of bad teeth, fish and chips, and Top Gear.

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By redleigh86

@Roxanne Starr said:

@spiderbat87:

But the stereotype started a long time ago...that's why it's called a stereotype...It happened over time.

BTW...all stereotypes are ROOTED in the trust. (That means that when they got started, they were true.)

No, that's not always true. Many stereotypes were formed based on misinformation, misunderstandings, an unwillingness to understand, and outright prejudice/bigotry. The definition of "stereotype" is a simplified conception based on prior assumption, but what you are saying is that all those assumptions are/were true... when they're not. Get it?

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104  Edited By Vortex13

@doublezeroduck: I love top gear lol.

Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Roxanne Starr

@redleigh86 said:

@Roxanne Starr said:

@spiderbat87:

No, that's not always true. Many stereotypes were formed based on misinformation, misunderstandings, an unwillingness to understand, and outright prejudice/bigotry. The definition of "stereotype" is a simplified conception based on prior assumption, but what you are saying is that all those assumptions are/were true... when they're not. Get it?

Stereotypes have nothing to do with assumptions. They evolve from observation...but assumptions keep stereotype alive.

It's the old "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's a duck" scenario.

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By redleigh86

@Roxanne Starr: @Roxanne Starr said:

@redleigh86 said:

@Roxanne Starr said:

@spiderbat87:

Stereotypes have nothing to do with assumptions. They evolve from observation...but assumptions keep stereotype alive.

It's the old "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's a duck" scenario.

That is still not true. An example:

There is/was a stereotype that certain aboriginal tribes practice cannibalism. This was believed to be true because they wore what looked like human teeth on a necklace. The truth was later learned that these were in fact the teeth of their ancestors, not acquired via cannibalization. The fact the stereotype evolved to the idea of cannibalization was because of an assumption.

Some stereotypes may be based on observation (which still doesn't negate the idea that assumptions were made based on that observation, leading to the stereotype), but not all. Not all stereotypes are assumptions, not all assumptions are stereotypes, but sometimes a stereotype is because of an assumption.

redleigh86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By redleigh86

@aztek_the_lost: lol, that's a much better example of how assumptions lead to stereotypes. I've been watching National Geographic it's not obvious :P

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#109  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

My Canadian cousin and his fake @$$ British accent after living there his first year.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By cattlebattle
@inferiorego said:

My Canadian cousin and his fake @$$ British accent after living there his first year.

your related to Madonna??
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#111  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I wonder if I started a thread about Scotland, England or Wales what the differences would be compared to this thread

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#112  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@cattlebattle said:

@inferiorego said:

A male, Canadian Madonna....

@spiderbat87 said:

I wonder if I started a thread about Scotland, England or Wales what the differences would be compared to this thread

Scotland=Amy Pond

England=Doctor Who

Wales=Torchwood

This is how I think about things.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#113  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@inferiorego said:

@cattlebattle said:

@inferiorego said:

A male, Canadian Madonna....

@spiderbat87 said:

I wonder if I started a thread about Scotland, England or Wales what the differences would be compared to this thread

Scotland=Amy Pond

England=Doctor Who

Wales=Torchwood

This is how I think about things.

LOL that's a good brake down. Oh Amy how do I love thee? let me count the ways...
Roxanne Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Roxanne Starr

@aztek_the_lost:

One of the biggest problems with the status quo is that too many people think subjectivity is fine and there is almost a stigma to being objective any more.

Subjectivity should only be used when dealing with individuals or individual things...not with groups.

kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#115  Edited By kiss_lamia
@lykopis:  Why thank you my darling :D now i must say all this talk about england has made me fancy a nice cup of tea loooool :P yeah whatever :D
RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By RedOwl_1

Sherlock Homes, tea, fancy talking, that's all I have for now

@chalkshark said:

Stonehenge. Big Ben. Parliament. The Tower of London. The Beatles. Trafalgar Square. Manchester. Ivanhoe. Sherlock Holmes. The Smiths. Piccadilly Circus. The Thames. Joy Division. King Arthur. Monty Python's Flying Circus. Dr. Who. The Cure. Alan Moore. Page 3 Girls. The BBC. David Bowie. Rachel Weisz. Buckingham Place. Bangers & Mash. Jack The Ripper. London. Tea. James Bond. Judge Dredd. The Tate. Liverpool. John Constantine. Winston Churchill. Football Hooligans. The Labor Party. And.......... that's about it.

WOW That's all you could think on and more

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#117  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER
No Caption Provided

I know it's a stupid stereotype, but it's honestly what I picture when I think British. If it helps I think of fat people when I think American and I am American.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#118  Edited By Mercy_

@InnerVenom123 said:

This and sexy accents

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts