What do you think Jesus was like?(Non religous question)

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pfcoolio14

This is more of a question to the non religous section

My question is if he did exist, what do you think he was like to amass that many followers?

Can you rationalize his miracles and why did spectators choose to exaggerate them?

You can answer and add more things in your explanation

And if you are religous, try to look at it from an atheists perspective for the thread

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@pfcoolio14: denying the existence of Jesus is denying history.

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TifaLockhart

@pfcoolio14: I'm just saying why would anyone have a hard time believing that there existed a man named Jesus? It doesn't make sense. Questioning whether or not he's the son of God I can understand.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet had the dankest kush. Like, "yo, Yeshua! Lets spark up!" And he was like, "Man, I got this herb that'll make you pass out for three days, son!"

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pfcoolio14

@the_last_son_of_czarnia:

Alright I'll delete that from the OP. Although some historians question. Now can you be the first to answer the question?

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pfcoolio14:

what do you think he was like to amass that many followers?

Humble. The religious leaders at that time were arrogant and looked down on the "regular" people. Jesus was humble and people could relate to him. also they were strict with the law no matter what. jesus emphasized the spirit of the law not the words.

Can you rationalize his miracles

nope. either they are complete lies or happened just as it says

why did spectators choose to exaggerate them

Prophets of old were said to do miracles like making the sun stay still and splitting the Sea. That identified them as sent by God. Jesus had to have a Legend similar to that.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yokergeist

This is why I believe Jesus/God is real: The Bible is way too complex to have been made up. If it is made up then the man who wrote it must have been a genius because some parts of the talk about real people or things that happened like Xerxes from 300.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pfcoolio14: sorry for being off topic, but some people deny the Holocaust.

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty:

My aunt's dad said that there was probably a brewery nearby when he turned the water into wine.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Please let's not turn this into a Jesus existing debate.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TifaLockhart

@jnr6lil: I'm not. I'm saying its stupid to deny that the man named Jesus existed. I already stated that its up for debate whether or not he was the son of God.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

very nice

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil: I'm not. I'm saying its stupid to deny that the man named Jesus existed. I already stated that its up for debate whether or not he was the son of God.

There was no man named Jesus. The letter J wasn't invented yet. His name was Yeshua. Or do you mean something else that I am missing?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dondave

This is why I believe Jesus/God is real: The Bible is way too complex to have been made up. If it is made up then the man who wrote it must have been a genius because some parts of the talk about real people or things that happened like Xerxes from 300.

The bible wasn't written by one person

The__Jester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The__Jester

I'm just saying, if I had the powers Jesus has I would abuse it so much. Just make a whole brewery of wine with a snap of your fingers, then sell that and be rich. But I wondered if he controlled walking on water, how would that work out when it rained?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: sarcasm is really hard to detect online.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pooty
Shavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet had the dankest kush. Like, "yo, Yeshua! Lets spark up!" And he was like, "Man, I got this herb that'll make you pass out for three days, son!"

my dealer looks like jesus and he is always wearing a robe i wonder...

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lykopis

My question is if he did exist, what do you think he was like to amass that many followers?

He must have been a good orator - very welcoming - very down to earth - not afraid to speak during a time of fear which would instill awe in others. Free food and drink to those who show up can be a big help as well. Him existing at all is still debatable but I would think he did, considering all the stories surrounding him. Add to that his mother and other people of whom there are tombs, etc. who spoke of his existence.

Can you rationalize his miracles and why did spectators choose to exaggerate them?

There were no miracles - there is no evidence they did and stories always get exaggerated. If you want to believe in something as true -- even magic tricks, let's say, people will believe and will always exaggerate to quantify those claims. A six inch fish becomes a full foot -- then three feet and next thing you know, it's a huge whale. There are people who swear Criss Angel and David Blane are wizards and have other worldly powers.

People can be very impressionable and even more so in large crowds. The ingredients in a social setting are there to create the myth of a man who was a child of a god. Ancient texts spoke of the coming of a god's son and so, along came some one who claimed to be one. Just like how there will be a "second coming" to the Christians and also, those who are still waiting (Judaism). There are many instances in the world where people convince others (and themselves) they are "special" and then horrible situations like Waco, Texas and Jonestown happens.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Veshark

@lykopis said:

He must have been a good orator - very welcoming - very down to earth - not afraid to speak during a time of fear which would instill awe in others. Free food and drink to those who show up can be a big help as well. Him existing at all is still debatable but I would think he did, considering all the stories surrounding him.

Yeah, by accounts of the Bible alone, this is how Jesus comes across to me. Inspiring and friendly, but at the same time chilled and composed too. I would've liked to meet Him.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CheeseSticks

He was schizophrenic

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MyNameWasDeleted

Wine doesn't come from a brewery you knuckle draggers. My stars and garters, some heathens are just so uncouth.

LimpoyzLoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LimpoyzLoan

He was a good teacher no doubt.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By King_Saturn

Jesus was a Radical Teacher who taught some really cool things in a time where Strict Religious Law was heavy in the Region he lived in... the problem is the Whole "He was God / Messiah / Son of God" concept was not flying well with most of his Contemporaries at the time and eventually he was Killed. I think most of what we read from these Religious Texts are Embellishments of what actually happened but I think there more than like was a Jesus who lived something to nature of the stories that was written about him. Now as far as all that Supernatural stuff and him being God or the Son of God... eh, I don't know about all that.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the supernatural stuff, it's a "you had to be there to see it" thing.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

I bet he was real chill but prone to bouts of frightening intensity..

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By reignmaker

There's a new Jesus book coming out soon. It's called "Zealot" or something like that. Saw a couple early book previews on it.

The author speculates that Jesus was more of a revolutionist type that was actually attempting to instigate a type of class warfare with his teachings. The author also states that it's most likely Jesus would have made himself king if he would have succeeded. Paul is apparently the one that came up with Christianity.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Charismatic.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 SC  Moderator

One doesn't have to do much or be spectacularly great to amass followers, how people perceive others, and ideas and what resonates with them, as an individual or collective can play a role, in which case the right person at the right time can become the figurehead for a large number of people without having done much substantial aside from being at the right place at the right time. That and group conformity is sort of funny. If you take one ordinary person and have three or four people on a crowded sidewalk start taking their photo with a camera as they walk or have a camera on them as well, normal ordinary people will and have started to take photos and ask for autographs of that person with a small crowd gather around them. This is today, with cynical, jaded people who have news stations and books about psychology. Think about people 2000 years ago. That being said as a side note to address the other half of the question, as far as Jesus character, well some fairly wise quotes have been attributed to him, if accurate he would seem to be a proponent of the golden rule, thats noble, especially in the frame of the time he lived, but that in particular like some of his other best teachings predate him and are also much more refined today. Still the markings of a nice person though and wise for his time.

Witnesses and spectators don't have to exaggerate spectacles or events to be very inaccurate or misleading or mislead. In the past, peoples understanding of senses and perceptions, were that they were a lot more robust and reliable to what we know they are now. Oh and when I say what we know they are now, I mean people who spend their whole lives studying and researching human perceptions, senses, psychology, physical abilities, brains, all that cool stuff and realizing that we aren't perfect record keepers of events and we tend to overestimate and underestimate but rarely estimate accurately even in the best of times and best of conditions. All we do is do well enough to survive. Add in group psychology and conformity and reassurance and propaganda and bias and faith and the need for closure and informational social influence, we have a huge pot to draw from as far as what people understand versus what people believe. Thats just about natural events, the addition of miracles or events that shouldn't or can't happen except by the will of a supernatural god creator and we have an additional na na na na na you can't prove me wrong. The only problem there is that Barry the Red Headed White Orca with Reality Altering Powers and the Power of 10 Trillion Supergods lives in the Largest Star in the White Zone, a place beyond even the Supernatural. Barry loves to perform miracles on Earth and he sends me telepathic messages and you can't prove he doesn't. I can't even prove Barry isn't real and I'm the guy who made him up, so miracles are problematic as far as being rationalized if you grant them any credibility to begin with, but its also okay to take the default position and question whether miracles are actually real.

Cool thread!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 the_stegman  Moderator

Like Gandhi, only good at carpentry too.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Regardless of whether or not He was the Son of God, or a schizophrenic, He was a very kind man who tried to make the world a better place.

He did not deserve what was done to him.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AweSam

@lykopis: Pretty much what I was going to say.

I don't think Jesus existed, but he was most likely based off of a Jesus-like figure. A philosopher who taught a way of life which his disciples used to entice more followers and was eventually used to govern his followers.

Obviously his "miracles" were exaggerated. Whether it was the witnesses who exaggerated them, or the founders of Christianity, in order to make him appear more godly.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ssejllenrad

Of course Jesus exists! I know him personally. His name is pronounced "hey-soos" though. Son of the barber near my childhood home. Good fella. A bit of a perv but what the hell, so am I. He does no miracles that I know of. But he's very good in Taekwondo.

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pfcoolio14: denying the existence of Jesus is denying history.

History has proof for everything that's apart of it. There is no proof of Jesus' existence. Denying the existence of Jesus is just denying the Abrahamic religions.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Under the same logic, most Mythologies should be regarded as truth.

Like Gandhi, only good at carpentry too.

Winner, Winner, chicken dinner! :D

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: Not this again