#1 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

A thread dedicated to us nerds and students, who are actively studying for the future; either for a degree, or certificate, or just a large amount of studying for one reason or another. Include what you're studying, where you're studying it (if you want), why you're studying it, and what you enjoy about it!

I'm studying computer science, physics, and related fields for a general science degree at Olympic College in Washington State, so I can transfer to the University of Washington and hopefully get an interdisciplinary field degree in Robotics. Beyond that, I can dream for what I'd like to happen, but one step at a time ;) I'm studying it because many of the different facets of the field are fascinating to me, and I have lots of ideas in the field, so it'd be good work; hopefully someday I'll start a company... What I enjoy about it, is the incredible room for growth in the field of technology, and how almost anything tangible can be made with it, no matter how fictional it may seem 20 years before it's designed.

Alright Comic Vine... What do YOU study? :D

#2 Posted by 4thhorseman (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I'm currently taking a "break" (in reality, just got tired of the subject and needed a rest) from Psychology but I'm a semester away from my BGS. At this point, I've lost all interest in it after every class being a rehash of the same stuff like child development and Freud, Piaget, etc. I wanted to go in for clinical psychology, not developmental, yet that's what every class seems to be and they don't appear to offer any extras.

Once I get that, think I might go back and go for an accounting degree of some sort. The job I'm at, I'm basically doing accounting for the department, and figure why not?

#3 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

I currently in university for a degree in English. I'm also studying script writing and French. They're related in many ways and opens a lot of opportunities for me. I also study Psychology on the side, but that's just a hobby.

#4 Posted by zombietag (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

I study Early and Elementary Education with a minor in Creative Writing. I was attening VCU in Richmond, VA but I'm transferring to OSU this next semester

#5 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm in my internship of systems engineering! :D

#6 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

about to start college on the hunt for a History degree

#7 Posted by Illuminatus (9504 posts) - - Show Bio

Investigative Journalism.

#8 Posted by Bluefox170 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

Criminal Justice, I plan to get a bachelors degree.

I'm not completely set on what I'll do with it but my current hopes are to have it as a prerequisite to join the DEA as a special agent. They are very selective, but with my degree and my family's law enforcement backgrounds perhaps I will have a decent chance.

@4thhorseman: How has studying psychology been? I'm currently in the intro to psych course and thought it to be fairly interesting at points but boring as you mentioned at other times. We also cover Freud and development, does this grow tiresome quickly?

#9 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4235 posts) - - Show Bio

Applied philosophy.

#10 Edited by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Psychology and Neuroscience BSc....just about to enter my second year :D

Track record for comic characters who went into the field of Psychology isn't exactly inspiring. Wish me luck :p

#11 Posted by 4thhorseman (72 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bluefox170 said:

@4thhorseman: How has studying psychology been? I'm currently in the intro to psych course and thought it to be fairly interesting at points but boring as you mentioned at other times. We also cover Freud and development, does this grow tiresome quickly?

I was kind of dumb with how I went about doing it. I went to a different smaller college that had classes I enjoyed. But it was in the middle of nowhere, so getting a job was damn near impossible. I am currently going to University of Kansas, and the number of courses I've taken there in the past few years that didn't seem to focus on the development side...I can count on one hand. And while I love those classes, it hasn't made up for the number of other classes that focus on the less interesting side of psychology.

#12 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7668 posts) - - Show Bio

Studying a for a degree in Fine Art.

#13 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I have my masterin Special Ed. and am working on my batchelors in Reading

#14 Posted by Cap10nate (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

Graduated about three years back with degrees in Accounting and Financial Economics. Work for a Big 4 accounting firm now doing financial business process consulting and internal auditing.

#15 Posted by grenade728 (748 posts) - - Show Bio

Going into my first year of college and I plan on majoring in English/Creative Writing with a Minor in Film. I'm pretty excited.

#16 Posted by menaceforever (3696 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in college but I plan on studying creative writing and chemical engineering.

#17 Posted by sohanlon07 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

I graduate fives years ago with a Bachelor's Degree in Electronic and Software Engineering from Queens University in Belfast. I currently work for a large US insurance company (they have an office here) writing software. I'm also studying for a Master's Degree in Computer Science on a part time basis via the University of Staffordshire at the moment and have just my Thesis left to do.

#18 Posted by Bluefox170 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

@4thhorseman said:

@Bluefox170 said:

I was kind of dumb with how I went about doing it. I went to a different smaller college that had classes I enjoyed. But it was in the middle of nowhere, so getting a job was damn near impossible. I am currently going to University of Kansas, and the number of courses I've taken there in the past few years that didn't seem to focus on the development side...I can count on one hand. And while I love those classes, it hasn't made up for the number of other classes that focus on the less interesting side of psychology.

Ah I see, what a downer, I can certainly see where that would put one such as yourself off, going in for clinical and getting development most of the time. Which in itself gets TOO real sometimes, ha.

#19 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9187 posts) - - Show Bio

Computer Science, thinking systems administrator. 

#20 Posted by God_Spawn (37685 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like we have a few threads similar to this. As I said in one a week ago, exercise kinesiology and nutrition.

#21 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

Bachelor of No Hope No Future.

#22 Posted by mikethekiller (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

I study Muay Thai

#23 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasted in ENTIRE year majoring in Religion/Theology. I'm not a Junior, so it's not all that important but I feel like I wasted a lot of time for nothing.

#24 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Aww, why do you feel like you wasted it? :(

@mikethekiller: Niiiice, know any other martial arts?

#25 Posted by mikethekiller (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Kung Fu, Wrestling and a little Brazilian Jiu jitsu.

#26 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikethekiller: Jealous. My Mom won't pay for any more martial arts lessons, even though I'm good at it. I only know Taekwondo.

#27 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

I study movie characters, though I need to study the bible more.

#28 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

I graduated a year ago. I majored in graphic design and mass communications. I havent been able to find a job so far, So Ive been volunteering and improving my hand drawing skills. I am currently teaching myself C++ though it will probably take me a year before I know the language fluently, Programming isn't as intimidating as I thought. I plan on reorienting myself with HTML/CSS and JavaScript. I am also going to teach myself Flash and AutoCAD.