What do other countries think of England?

• 141 results
Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was reading through Cubethulhu's "Why do so many people hate America?" thread and it occurred to me I've never really had a foreigners point of view on this place that I call home. So, post whatever comes to mind when you think of England. Even if it's unbelievably racist 8-D 

Thanks.

RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RavenDark

England  (Would not it be correct to say Great Britain? You might have offended a Scot or Northern Irishman, etc?;D), has a historically diplomatic but cold....brrrrr....so cold, policy towards other countries...If you exclude historical grievances when She was a World Colonial Superpower, I'd say that in between  relations are mostly neutral....(Hey, you fought the French, you fought the German and they do not hate you anymore...that is a plus...)

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By joshmightbe

i have no strong feelings one way or another about england
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@RavenDark said:
" England  (Would not be correct to say Great Britain? You might have a offended a Scot or Northern Irishman, etc?;D), has a historically diplomatic but cold....brrrrr....so cold, policy towards other countries...If you exclude historical grievances when She was a World Colonial Superpower, I'd say that in between  relations are mostly neutral....(Hey, you fought the French, you fought the German and they do not hate you anymore...that is a plus...) "
Or he could just be from England.
RavenDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RavenDark
@Supreme Marvel: If this is just about England then I apologize to the parties to whom it might concern.....
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

i don't know what other countries think of England but my sister lived there for 3 years and she says it's just like the US they just have different problems.

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By whacknasty

I have never been to England, but from different sources, it seems to have some really beautiful architecture, and that is something I really like to check out in places.  I've also heard that some of the world's toughest ghettos are in England, even compared to places like Chicago and New York, so I have respect for the countries tough factor... : )

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@RavenDark said:
" @Supreme Marvel: If this is just about England then I apologize to the parties to whom it might concern..... "
It's just that Scotts' would rather bee counted on their own if it was up to them.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I've heard you have no ice or air conditioning. 

I've also wanted to know if everyone really has tea at 4PM (that's tea time right?) I wish we did something like that in the US.

A funny note, I can't watch the original English Office without subtitles. I was always told I was being taught English. I stand corrected.

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart said:

" I've heard you have no ice or air conditioning."

We do, we call it "The weather". 

" I've also wanted to know if everyone really has tea at 4PM (that's tea time right?)

Nah, Tea time is just another way to say dinner. But to be honest it's not a saying I hear very often. I usually start the morning with a strong cup of tea though. 

"  A funny note, I can't watch the original English Office without subtitles. I was always told I was being taught English. I stand corrected. "

I can't watch the American office....I've tried..but I..I just can't 8-)
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@jloneblackheart said:

" I've heard you have no ice or air conditioning.   I've also wanted to know if everyone really has tea at 4PM (that's tea time right?) I wish we did something like that in the US.  A funny note, I can't watch the original English Office without subtitles. I was always told I was being taught English. I stand corrected. "

Nah, I'm in Uni' so I pretty much have me dinner when I come in or whenever I want really. I can't even watch our Office.
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123
@joshmightbe said:
" i have no strong feelings one way or another about england "
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By NightFang3

I don't care about England.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

No problems I'd like to visit but if a person from England said they hate the USA or Americans I can think of some awful stuff I would respond with that is just how I play

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Lol i love this thread as an Englishman i love seeing how we are seen as by the world, i say Englishman since althought we rule Great Britain England ,Scotland Wales and Northen Ireland are all slightly different from the other. I do haev to say i love my tea thou anytime is teatime, i dont call dinner teatime myself.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" No problems I'd like to visit but if a person from England said they hate the USA or Americans I can think of some awful stuff I would respond with that is just how I play "
What are these "awful" things?
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CosmicSpiral

A very dry place. Nice architecture and rich history. Green pastures somewhere to the north, lots of fog. Hot girls everywhere. 

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@CosmicSpiral said:
" A very dry place. Nice architecture and rich history. Green pastures somewhere to the north, lots of fog. Hot girls everywhere.  "
What countries this?
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Supreme Marvel said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" No problems I'd like to visit but if a person from England said they hate the USA or Americans I can think of some awful stuff I would respond with that is just how I play "
What are these "awful" things? "
I'm not trying to start a flame war I am just saying I have come across Europeans who think they are better than Americans and I spit hot venom back at them I am not gonna roll over and take it. I wish our foreign policy was better and people did not stereotype us. Where I live their are allot of foreigners from Europe and other countries I am friends with and I do want to go to Europe but not if they are gonna be immature and stereotype
hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hdorman1

I'm from Ireland 
i hate how English people aren't taught the history of their empire, how they invaded Ireland, India and Africa 
killing millions and essentially raping the countries of their wealth 
but thats history 
my opinion of England now is that it is as a whole full of cheerful pleasant people, thats my opinion of my cousins and their mates 
but English and Northern Irish unionists piss my off 

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" @Supreme Marvel said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
What are these "awful" things? "
I'm not trying to start a flame war I am just saying I have come across Europeans who think they are better than Americans and I spit hot venom back at them I am not gonna roll over and take it. I wish our foreign policy was better and people did not stereotype us. Where I live their are allot of foreigners from Europe and other countries I am friends with and I do want to go to Europe but not if they are gonna be immature and stereotype "
Stereotype? American stereotype the crap out of us.
All the Mary Poppins crap. I hate that film.
American tv shows depict England is rather 70s of them.
And Superman: True Brit was just f@#kin' awful!
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Supreme Marvel: I don't know why you are trying to start a flame war
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@hdorman1:  lol i am very pro giving Ireland Northern Ireland back as long as they are free to practise what ever religion they like. I think thats the main worry about the whole north south devide.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Supreme Marvel: BTW Superman True Brit was written by John Cleese and Drawn by British artists
hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hdorman1
@lazystudent: its been a long time since it was about religion 
its all politics and thugs fighting for the sake of it 
england doesnt even want n.ireland anymore 
its unionists in n.ireland 
screwing it up for everyone
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Son_of_Magnus said:

" @Supreme Marvel: I don't know why you are trying to start a flame war "

I'm not. I'm just saying.

@Son_of_Magnus said:

" @Supreme Marvel: BTW Superman True Brit was written by John Cleese and Drawn by British artists "

I know. I have the Graphic Novel.
I was just complaining that they let them print it.
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@hdorman1:  the fighting stems from 2 things the religious side and the English rule side, if we took away English rule the religious aspect  would still be there i feel. I have great respect for the irish since they have been invaded alot less than us.
Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Theodore

Never been there. No feelings for or against England.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Son_of_Magnus

I'm not a serious person, so when I say what I say I never mean no harm about it to a person. I'm a laid-back person. I understand if you don't take sarcasm well. I don't think America deal with sarcasm well either.
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@Supreme Marvel said:
" @CosmicSpiral said:
" A very dry place. Nice architecture and rich history. Green pastures somewhere to the north, lots of fog. Hot girls everywhere.  "
What countries this? "
This is my mind's idea of England. 
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@CosmicSpiral said:
" @Supreme Marvel said:
" @CosmicSpiral said:
What countries this? "
This is my mind's idea of England.  "
You from England? Because we hardly get any fog up here.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Supreme Marvel: It's alright it just gets frustrating when you are proud of your self and love your country I mean I hate our Government but I still do not like seeing people burn our flag and call us all fat and Lazy when we are not even the fattest nation in the world. I just see that every where I turn on the internet and on the news and it just irritates me be grouped in with the rednecks and what not. I happen to be very respectful of other countries cultures and take the time to learn them and not offend people of other countries when I am around them and you know I just wish I can get similar respect.
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Vortex13

I love the fact most of you say c##t all the time I wish we could do that here without getting dirty looks. Guy I know (I'm not friends with him at all) who treats women like sh#t and I said c##t in front of him once and he was all over me saying how it was horrible to say that (I was calling a guy that for the record.)  It was really ironic to me because this guy isn't a love em and leave em type, he's a f##k em and call them a w###e kind of guy and I did call him out on it.

CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@Supreme Marvel said:

" @CosmicSpiral said:

" @Supreme Marvel said:
" @CosmicSpiral said:
What countries this? "
This is my mind's idea of England.  "
You from England? Because we hardly get any fog up here. "
Nah. Never even traveled overseas. The farthest I've been away from home is Canada. 
hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hdorman1
@lazystudent: if they honestly cared about their religion(either side) they wouldnt fight at all 
a friend of mine from the north who was raised protestant is sinn fein 
wolftone, one the greatest men in irish history , was a protestant 
its politics and past grudges 
all it needs now is for education to dispel bigotry in the idiotic unionists and england to apologise about the deployment of the black and tans and the random shootings for the catholics
thats it
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EdwardWindsor
@hdorman1:  totally agreed about the fighting based on religion however it is the cause of most conflicts. I think one day an apology of sorts may happen althought with politics you never know. I respect the Irish thou and i think as a country you deserve to have what was yours back.
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Son_of_Magnus said:

" @Supreme Marvel: It's alright it just gets frustrating when you are proud of your self and love your country I mean I hate our Government but I still do not like seeing people burn our flag and call us all fat and Lazy when we are not even the fattest nation in the world. I just see that every where I turn on the internet and on the news and it just irritates me be grouped in with the rednecks and what not. I happen to be very respectful of other countries cultures and take the time to learn them and not offend people of other countries when I am around them and you know I just wish I can get similar respect. "

Is that at us?
I don't think we've ever burned your flag.
Top 10 fattest countries  
  1. Nauru
  2.  Federated States of Micronesia
  3. Cook Islands     
  4. Tonga     
  5. Niue     
  6. Samoa     
  7. Palau     
  8. Kuwait     
  9. United States
  10. Kiribati
I'm quite good with my geography and I know different parts of America, what there beliefs are etc. So you don't need to worry, I don't judge or stereotype people.
warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By warlock360

As a kid i was taught that englishmen were pansies drinking tea, as i got older i saw Rugby players.... drinking tea.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By warlock360

Oh and i never met a englishman who didn't call me "Kraut" for being German when i told it to them and being a "Yank" (Yankee) before i told it to them.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aronmorales

I don't have anything against England, I'd even like to visit sometime.
I just wanna say that it looks awfully cold there.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Aronmorales said:
" I don't have anything against England, I'd even like to visit sometime. I just wanna say that it looks awfully cold there. "
It is. We're used to it. Hopefully when global warming hits, we'd be able to survive that. ::D
Me, after Uni, I wanna move to New York City. Hopefully get an apprentice at DC Comics. Then become a screenwriter.
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Aronmorales
@Supreme Marvel said:
" @Aronmorales said:
" I don't have anything against England, I'd even like to visit sometime. I just wanna say that it looks awfully cold there. "
It is. We're used to it. Hopefully when global warming hits, we'd be able to survive that. ::D Me, after Uni, I wanna move to New York City. Hopefully get an apprentice at DC Comics. Then become a screenwriter. "
That's exactly what I think about my home...at least the part of the country where I live.
Thumbs up to your plan by the way.
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Aronmorales said:
Thanks! ::D
Where I live, it's by the water and it's freakin' cold. When I am now, it's slightly warmer. Liverpool = Cold. Crewe = Less cold.
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Aronmorales
@Supreme Marvel said:
" @Aronmorales said:
Thanks! ::D Where I live, it's by the water and it's freakin' cold. When I am now, it's slightly warmer. Liverpool = Cold. Crewe = Less cold. "
Welcome friend, and just how cold are we talking?
Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I live in England .. it's aweful and constricting ... STAY AWAY.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Aronmorales:
  10°C
Current: Mostly Cloudy
Wind: W at 8 mph
Humidity: 94%

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aronmorales
@Supreme Marvel said:
" @Aronmorales:
  10°C
Current: Mostly Cloudy
Wind: W at 8 mph
Humidity: 94%

"
Wow, that's pretty chilly.
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Supreme Marvel
@Cherry Bomb said:
" I live in England .. it's aweful and constricting ... STAY AWAY. "
It is constricting.

I love the way, on Supernatural were Dean and Sam just travel across America in the car. I'd love to do that. No here, you'd get a fine for f@#k all.
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I was always curious about how the differences in histories are taught in England and the US, specifically regarding the American Revolution and the War of 1812.

They barely even teach us about the War of 1812 in the states. I was long out of school when I learned about it. How was I never taught in school that the British burned down the White House?!? I think we both like to tell the good stories and leave out the bad ones.

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By Cherry Bomb
@Supreme Marvel said:

" @Cherry Bomb said:

" I live in England .. it's aweful and constricting ... STAY AWAY. "
It is constricting.  I love the way, on Supernatural were Dean and Sam just travel across America in the car. I'd love to do that. No here, you'd get a fine for f@#k all. "
I think the same! - You could drive to places in America and it will be entirely different, weather, scene etc .. but here, everywhere is mostly the same; dull, prejudice and gloomy.