Wear It With Pride!

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Ms. Invisible

In 2008, Australia did a bit of reforming in its laws, granting rights to same-sex couples which different-sex (I think that means heterosexual) de-factos have had for a while now. The reforms cover areas such as financial, workplace, parenting etc. So an organisation called the National LGBT Health Alliance thought they should create a promotional campaign for it because these reforms were under the radar (I did not know about it until today) and called this campaign "Wear It With Pride".

Here's a bit of background info on it:

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/peop...0203-nc27.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...tion=australia

And here is the main website for the "Wear It With Pride" campaign: http://wearitwithpride.com.au/

I am disappointed that there is still no same-sex marriage (damn that Kevin Rudd), but still, this is a huge step forward. I'm so happy to hear about this today; as I'm typing this up, it feels as if my heart's going to jump out of my chest. I can't remember the last time I was this happy about something in my life.

Regarding the site, if you look to the left, you'll see a link that says "T-Shirts". They haven't produced any shirts just yet, but you can pre-order one so you'll get an email when the shirt is available for purchase. So order a few and tell your friends about it.

As a flaming homosexual myself, it's a good day to be gay today. :D :D :D

Just remember to Wear It With Pride.    

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By dane

now all we need to do is beat Michael Atkinson to death with a blunt object and we'll be all set for decent laws.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

T-Shirts awesome, been  supporting this from day one!!

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have no problem with gay people, or with same sex marriages. However I struggle to agree with letting gay couples adopt. It seems to me that it's forcing a stigma on the children involved. The strange thing is I recognize that it's an action that needs to be taken sooner or later if we are to truly say we live in an equal society. And it's certainly better for a child to have a loving home than no home.  I also get that the best way for prejudices to die out is for people to be raised with it. (For example, I couldn't care less the colour of some ones skin, where as it would of been an issue in my grandparents day) But I would be extremely hesitant to open a child up to the taunts and jibes that having same sex parents would inevitably lead to, even if it is for the best in the long term.  Does anyone agree with me, or am I just a dinosaur that needs to get with the times?  

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

My cousin is gay so I have always been fighting for gay rights because I love my cousin even if her is a jerk 0^$

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Precise

Good thing I live in a place where this is already widely accepted =)
I actually attended my uncles wedding =)

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Do I have to give a name?:  With gay couples adopting at least we know the parents are checked out and the child is going to a good happy home, other than the under-age drug addicted or simply idiotic people who breed without check. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

" @Do I have to give a name?:  With gay couples adopting at least we know the parents are checked out and the child is going to a good happy home, other than the under-age drug addicted or simply idiotic people who breed without check.  "

I 100% agree with that. My reservations with gay adoption certainly aren't based on the idea that it's immoral. Or the adoptive couple are in some way unfit parents. It's entirely based, unfortunately, on the way certain elements of society will treat the child. 

As I said I recognize the only way to change people's point of view is for it to become commonplace. But where as you or I can argue for a cause because we believe in it, an adopted child is, to an extent, having the cause forced on them.
Jessamy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jessamy
@Do I have to give a name?: 

As a lesbian who wants kids of my own one day I can definitely see your concerns. I know if adopted a child in the place I currently live in (A small town in Texas.) and people knew I was a lesbian that life would be rather hard on the child. While I plan to move long before I have kids to a more accepting place where I don't have to worry about people wanting to beat me to a pulp for just kissing my girlfriend on my own front lawn I also think there are sadly far worse things happening to children today.

I think most children would prefer to have loving gay parents who may not be accepted by some of society then a straight couple that would neglect or abuse them. Yes school will be difficult for them and yes there will be times life might be harder on them, but overall they'll know they're loved and at least from the people I know whose parents are gay actually be proud and more then happy to stand up for their parents. I do think it's smart to move to a place you can be freely out and safe before you have children, but as someone before me said how will we ever change peoples points of view if we continue to hide and let  them believe we're child molesters or perverts.

I'm happy to say Australia isn't the only place moving in the right direction. (Though I must say. RIGHT ON AUSTRALIA! I always knew you had the coolest people and of course the most beautiful women. :P) I heard just yesterday that Don't Ask Don't Tell  is being repealed here in America. I always thought that was rather stupid I mean if someone's brave enough to go out there and fight why does it matter if they're gay or straight? Lesbians and gay men should be able to write back to their families the same way straight soldiers can without worrying about being discharged for "Homosexual conduct."
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By pixelized
@Do I have to give a name? said:
" @.Mistress Redhead. said:

" @Do I have to give a name?:  With gay couples adopting at least we know the parents are checked out and the child is going to a good happy home, other than the under-age drug addicted or simply idiotic people who breed without check.  "

I 100% agree with that. My reservations with gay adoption certainly aren't based on the idea that it's immoral. Or the adoptive couple are in some way unfit parents. It's entirely based, unfortunately, on the way certain elements of society will treat the child.   As I said I recognize the only way to change people's point of view is for it to become commonplace. But where as you or I can argue for a cause because we believe in it, an adopted child is, to an extent, having the cause forced on them. "
wouldn't be any different from parents adopting children outside their race, I.E. Brad and Angelina, and Madonna.
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to stop working with kids who were abused in their youth because of their horrible upbringing, also think of the generations we are looking at when i was growing up i got beaten up because i dressed in all black and had coloured hair, plus i (gasp) read comics.. where as these days its cool... 

kids are fine as long as they are well looked after and loved.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

congrats. im really happy with alot of the law reforms im seeing lately in Australia to be honest.
keep it up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jessamy said:

" @Do I have to give a name?:   As a lesbian who wants kids of my own one day I can definitely see your concerns. I know if adopted a child in the place I currently live in (A small town in Texas.) and people knew I was a lesbian that life would be rather hard on the child. While I plan to move long before I have kids to a more accepting place where I don't have to worry about people wanting to beat me to a pulp for just kissing my girlfriend on my own front lawn I also think there are sadly far worse things happening to children today.  I think most children would prefer to have loving gay parents who may not be accepted by some of society then a straight couple that would neglect or abuse them. Yes school will be difficult for them and yes there will be times life might be harder on them, but overall they'll know they're loved and at least from the people I know whose parents are gay actually be proud and more then happy to stand up for their parents. I do think it's smart to move to a place you can be freely out and safe before you have children, but as someone before me said how will we ever change peoples points of view if we continue to hide and let  them believe we're child molesters or perverts.    I'm happy to say Australia isn't the only place moving in the right direction. (Though I must say. RIGHT ON AUSTRALIA! I always knew you had the coolest people and of course the most beautiful women. :P) I heard just yesterday that Don't Ask Don't Tell  is being repealed here in America. I always thought that was rather stupid I mean if someone's brave enough to go out there and fight why does it matter if they're gay or straight? Lesbians and gay men should be able to write back to their families the same way straight soldiers can without worrying about being discharged for "Homosexual conduct." "

I agree with pretty much everything you said, esspecially the parts in bold. But you yourself say that you would rather be in a more tolerant area before you would adopt. And that was really the only point I was making. I understand that in order for it to be truly accepted it must become the norm, I just think it sucks that people are going to have to deal with all the prejudiced BS for that to happen. 

Please don't think I'm in any way homophobic, I've had gay friends all my life. And it's partly seeing the crap that they had to put up with (especially during school years) that makes me question things.

@pixelized said:

" wouldn't be any different from parents adopting children outside their race, I.E. Brad and Angelina, and Madonna. "

I can see what you're saying. But I'm quite lucky in that whre I live is extremely multi-cultured. So racism is a bit of a non-factor where I am. Though if anything this just proves what everyone's been saying about things being accepted when they become commonplace.

@.Mistress Redhead. said:

" I just want to stop working with kids who were abused in their youth because of their horrible upbringing, also think of the generations we are looking at when i was growing up i got beaten up because i dressed in all black and had coloured hair, plus i (gasp) read comics.. where as these days its cool...  kids are fine as long as they are well looked after and loved. "

Again I totally agree in principle. It's just that it has an uncomfortable feeling, like with your analogy. Except that the child doesn't have a choice about wearing black clothes or dying their hair. Almost like they're being used as political tools (though not by anyone’s intent) before they speak their first words. It's by the same token that I don't agree with designating a child a religion before they're old enough to understand it.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ms. Invisible
@Do I have to give a name? said:   

Again I totally agree in principle. It's just that it has an uncomfortable feeling, like with your analogy. Except that the child doesn't have a choice about wearing black clothes or dying their hair. Almost like they're being used as political tools (though not by anyone’s intent) before they speak their first words. It's by the same token that I don't agree with designating a child a religion before they're old enough to understand it.

I can see where you're coming from. It raises some moral issues. Though mind you, even though there are same-sex couples who have successfully adopted a child, even though it is not their intent, showing that same-sex couples are just as capable parents aren't even on their list of priorities, me thinks. From my POV, it only seems that the view that children are being used a political tools is only because the opposition make a big deal out of it. If the religious right never shoved their bigoted their views into the government, would a same-sex couple adopting even be a problem in the first place? I'd say no. 

If you look at it from the other side, a child does not have a say in whether they want heterosexual parents either.  

Also, indoctrinating a child with religion is completely different from a same-sex couple. Indoctrination is dangerous and can seriously hamper a child's ability to think critically. Richard Dawkins also brings up the question as to whether such indoctrination is child abuse. A same-sex couple adopting is not doing any kind of indoctrinating. If anything it's the complete opposite, and it seems to me it's a bit of a false analogy you're presenting there. Like a few people have said in this thread, a same-sex couple only wants to adopt because they want to raise a child in a loving family.
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

New Jersey is pretty lenient on gays I live next to a town were like 90% population is gay and they have really good pastry shops their and a nice boardwalk

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ms. Invisible
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"... and a nice boardwalk "  
 Where there a lots of gays! :D
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Ms. Invisible said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
 Where there a lots of gays! :D "
Ya my Girlfriend (I'm straight) lives there and shares a room with a gay man. So I am always there it is very nice on the beach expensive as heck though
Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Meteorite

I don't see why governments are against gay marriage/adoption. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with people of the same sex living together or having adopted children together! When will the governments understand that?!

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
@Ms. Invisible said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
 Where there a lots of gays! :D "
But ya at boardwalk and beach they are pretty open with their love sometimes to open lol
Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
@Ms. Invisible said:
"  In 2008, Australia did a bit of reforming in its laws, granting rights to same-sex couples which different-sex (I think that means heterosexual) de-factos have had for a while now. The reforms cover areas such as financial, workplace, parenting etc. So an organisation called the National LGBT Health Alliance thought they should create a promotional campaign for it because these reforms were under the radar (I did not know about it until today) and called this campaign "Wear It With Pride".

Here's a bit of background info on it:

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/peop...0203-nc27.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...tion=australia

And here is the main website for the "Wear It With Pride" campaign: http://wearitwithpride.com.au/I am disappointed that there is still no same-sex marriage (damn that Kevin Rudd), but still, this is a huge step forward. I'm so happy to hear about this today; as I'm typing this up, it feels as if my heart's going to jump out of my chest. I can't remember the last time I was this happy about something in my life.Regarding the site, if you look to the left, you'll see a link that says "T-Shirts". They haven't produced any shirts just yet, but you can pre-order one so you'll get an email when the shirt is available for purchase. So order a few and tell your friends about it.As a flaming homosexual myself, it's a good day to be gay today. :D :D :DJust remember to Wear It With Pride.     "
Congratulations! Equality for all!