• 70 results
#1 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio

I know its long but please give it a chance and read it. I think everyone could benefit from this

Tonight something happened to me and I hadn't planned to post it here but I feel that God has put it on my heart to share it with you guys. I was at work tonight and they put me on the cash register for about an hour that was originally supposed to be thirty minutes. So I was mad. I stood up there with a frown on my face and was mad because of something that is a part of the job I signed up for. (isn't it remarkable sometimes the things we let influence our joy?) I stood there and was discourteous, off-putting and just downright mean. I am ashamed of my actions now because I was raised and taught better than that. but my reason for posting this is one older woman. One older woman. Another human being. This woman shuffled to my register and my first thought was “damn another one?!” she smiled at me and I stood there as cold as stone. I didn’t say a word. I checked her out, gave her the receipt and moved on to the next customer in line….all while she ws still smiling at me. In that moment I felt something. A feeling ive had before that I KNOW could only come from God. I was reminded of a story I read, whether it was a true story or not is unimportant but the story was one of a taxi driver who picked up an older woman and was upset because she took so long to come outside to get in. he later found out the woman was on her way to hospice. That story broke my heart. And in that moment tonight I felt my heart break because I was the cold emotionally unavailable taxi driver. I looked back over my shoulder at the woman put on the biggest smile I could and wished her a goodnight. She smiled and looked almost elated that another human being showed her some form of kindness. The next few customers in line looked at me as if they were proud and genuinely wished me well. I learned two things tonight that I wish to share with all of you who are willing to listen. Goodness amongst humans is contagious; make an effort everyday to show other human beings kindness whether or not they show it to you. Lets face facts here guys you never know who is on their way to hospice, or on their way to an empty home that was once full, or who is on their way to a full house that feels empty. A smile or a genuine care about how someone is doing can truly be the difference in life and in death. Helping an elderly person across the street may be cliché

But does that make it any less worth doing? Smiling at someone who looks down may seem weird but your smile could change someone’s day hell maybe even their life. And the second thing I learned is what my Grandmother used to say and what my mother still says. “you never know when your entertaining an angel so its best to treat everybody like one” we all have our shortcomings and we all have bad days. If we can just start looking at each other like humans that love each other instead of viewing the world as “dog eat dog” maybe nothing would happen….but maybe we could change the suicide rates. Maybe we could make the world a better place with our smiles? Or maybe we can just give one old woman a reason to smile…. God bless guys and gals

#3 Posted by God_Spawn (37880 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad I read this.

Cheers!

#5 Posted by The Stegman (24373 posts) - - Show Bio

Good lesson to live by, but in truth, it's never gonna happen for two reason.

1. People are A Holes

2. Customer Services employees tend to be more grumpy than regular people, why? cause they have to put up with people, and as rule number one above states, people are A Holes.

#6 Posted by Juiceboks (8999 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Mad props to you.

#8 Posted by TheDarkDaredevil (554 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18047 posts) - - Show Bio

I know when I have had bad days and am down sometimes people have smiled at me and it did make me feel a bit happier and made me smile a bit too.

So I have experienced that feeling and no god is required. Its something we all can relate to I imagine since if we feel sad, down and someone smiles at us it can lift your mood. Though I am not saying a smile will always make you feel better. But it can and I guess that is the point you are making in a way.

#10 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Fun fact I'm actually more polite online because I have more time to filter my thoughts. IRL I can be a real jerk, but hey I try and this little story inspired me to try a little more. Thanks man. :)

#11 Posted by martyyy15 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Great story. Sometimes a person smiling and being kind to you can really change your day from a bad to a good one. Very inspirational

#12 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad you guys got something out of this

#13 Edited by Bruxae (13843 posts) - - Show Bio

Stopped reading at god.

#14 Posted by nickthedevil (12414 posts) - - Show Bio

Lost me at god, bro.

#15 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by nickthedevil (12414 posts) - - Show Bio

Good story though.

*thumbs up*

#18 Posted by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

this calls for a cliche slow clap moment

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1529266/slow-clap-o.gif

#19 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Empathy's a great thing.

#20 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21850 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: thanks for the story, you earned my follow

#21 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: As long as we just accept "that's never gonna happen" we'll never make a change. What if every black person just said "freedom? That's never gonna happen." it only takes small acts of kindness to change the entire world.

#22 Posted by laflux (15896 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

Stopped reading at god.

I did carry on reading, despite the fact that I think that if there is a God, he's definitely not Benevolent, Omnipresent and all that jazz. However my main gripe with not the story, is that I don't think the attitude shown by him reflects the message he's trying to portray. But I'll leave at that......

#23 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

still don't get why it's a question though

#24 Edited by 14NC3 (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

i looked at the thread name and I was actually going to come in and just post 'HAH GAYYYYY' but then I started reading. This was an awesome story and thanks for posting...

You have also earned my follow SOG...

#25 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by laflux (15896 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

@laflux: What do you mean?

I don't want to ruin the thread, and I guess its a nice story. Forget I said anything.

#27 Posted by Pyrogram (38286 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice :)

#28 Edited by logy5000 (5771 posts) - - Show Bio

I, Jack the Ripper, show love in wonderful ways.

#29 Posted by DocStrange (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Overall I've found that most people have reasons for being not nice; not necessarily good reasons but reasons that they seem to feel are valid. I try to make every interaction a positive one. But younger people, they just don't seem to care. I smile and nod or say hi, they look away and keep on walking. Clearly, many people feel that they don't need me in their lives.

#30 Posted by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Whether people believe in a god or not doesn't matter here, don't make it about that. The basic message here is to treat other people with respect, kindness, and love. We live in a cold world that keeps getting colder. People keep looking for ways of isolating themselves from other human beings. We're all we've got people. In the vastness of space, our alone radius extends to lengths unimaginable. It is downright silly that people don't treat each other as best they can.

Nice story, @sog7dc.

#31 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Shadow Stalker (262 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for posting. Always refreshing to hear of ways that one person is making this world better for the rest of us. Keep it up!

#34 Posted by laflux (15896 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Nice :)

I'm a real kill joy. Derailing threads when I do even want too......

#35 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29500 posts) - - Show Bio

Weren't you the guy posting about how gay people are vampires?

#36 Posted by laflux (15896 posts) - - Show Bio

#37 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by lilben42 (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done. I try to be nice to everyone because you never know what's in store for them. They might become your best friend or your wife.

#39 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by Samimista (20711 posts) - - Show Bio

Now this is a very sweet story. Thank you for sharing this with us. =D

#41 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14414 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Edited by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by SOG7dc (7178 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:
@innervenom123 said:

ive actually never said anything like that...like in my entire 20 years of life I have never said anything like that. as I recall it was actually @innervenom123 who said that. so if youre gonna call me out for something I said.....maybe pick out something I actually said?

#44 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I make it a point to smile at everyone. Everyone. Walking to school -- to the store -- anywhere. I wish everyone would take the time to smile at people, acknowledge each other's existence, say good morning, good afternoon, good evening. Takes nothing but makes the world in an instant become a nice, warm place.

Sometimes the saddest or most sullen-looking people are the ones with the most incredible smiles -- like sunshine. Getting them to show it by smiling first at them is one of the most pleasurable experiences in my life.

I wish everyone would smile more.

#45 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome Story BUD ^___^

also managed to warm Lafuxes and pyros heart, thats something that has never happened before :)

#46 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks at some of the comments

You f**kers can't even drop it here can ya ? which proves

1. People are A Holes

But I know the best way to fight it

@lykopis said:

I make it a point to smile at everyone. Everyone. Walking to school -- to the store -- anywhere. I wish everyone would take the time to smile at people, acknowledge each other's existence, say good morning, good afternoon, good evening. Takes nothing but makes the world in an instant become a nice, warm place.

Sometimes the saddest or most sullen-looking people are the ones with the most incredible smiles -- like sunshine. Getting them to show it by smiling first at them is one of the most pleasurable experiences in my life.

I wish everyone would smile more.

#47 Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

not reading this

#48 Posted by JediXMan (30602 posts) - - Show Bio

The cynic in me wants to poke holes in this, but I'm just not that mean spirited.

It's a nice story. People should try to do this; I don't as often as I should, but still.

Looks at some of the comments

You f**kers can't even drop it here can ya ? which proves

I had a similar reaction, actually.

Hey, look - the cynic in me returns a little...

#49 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Being nice has nothing to do with religion. ^-^

Just do it ...or don't ...whatever ^-^

#50 Edited by JediXMan (30602 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Being nice has nothing to do with religion. ^-^

Just do it ...or don't ...whatever ^-^

Sometimes, I think people just want to cause conflict. There's really no reason to step on the TC's thread because of differing religious opinions, especially when this thread has nothing to do with religion. It's about sharing kindness... which is apparently impossible for some.