#1 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11559 posts) - - Show Bio

Back when I was younger and watched Spongebob Squarepants(I don't anymore ...for obvious reasons)the entire time when I watch those episode I always Squidward was a jerk for how he treated Spongebob and Patrick.

Now,after re watching a few episode featuring Squidward relationship with SB and Pat I realized something,it Wasn't Squiddy's fault.After watching those episodes I realized that Pat and SB were the most OBNOXIOUS neighbors of all time. The two of them would have drove any one to Jerkiness.

So my Question is do you think Squidward's meanness toward Spongebob and Patrick was justified?

also Do you think you could have lived by those two ?

#2 Posted by Samimista (20833 posts) - - Show Bio

I never thought of Squidward as a jerk to be honest. In fact, he's one of my favorites. Though I call my brother Squidward mostly because I annoy him (in a friendly way) as if I were SpongeBob. =D

#3 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I never considered Squidward a jerk -- I mean, anyone who appreciates interpretive dance and can play a mean clarinet is chill, man.

But yeah -- living next to SpongeBob and Patrick would have drive me insane. :)

#4 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25590 posts) - - Show Bio

I never thought Squid was a jerk (I mean who would not be angry living next to morons who love to nag you lol) I like Squidward he always was one of my favorite characters. On a side note when Squidward did leave Spongebob and Patrick to say in Tentacle Acres(where the recidents of said place was just like him) he decided the place was boring and returned back to his old place lol I guess he like Spongbob and Pat after all :D

#5 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not a jerk, he's just a pretentious victim of Spongebob's antics.

#6 Posted by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah.

#7 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13427 posts) - - Show Bio

yes. he is a jerk. but spongebob and Patrick are both still pains in the ass.

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13427 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15006 posts) - - Show Bio

I always sympathized with Squidward, I am too surrounded by idiots. :)

#10 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by pooty (11416 posts) - - Show Bio

Squidward is not a jerk. but when he lived around people just like him, he got bored and started acting like SB and Patrick

#12 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

nope just a poor "cultured" SOB who has the unfortunate luck of being neighbors with a psychotic sponge, and brain damaged starfish

#13 Edited by longbowhunter (7329 posts) - - Show Bio

I am Squidward.

#14 Edited by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

squidward isnt a jerk, rather he was the victim of an obnoxious, enfemminate [no offense to the enfems] invertebrate frycook and a mentally-challenged starfish with an eating disorder. spongebob and Patrick were the joiks

#15 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

Squidward never seemed that bad of a guy to me

I remember Can You Spare a Dime? was one of my favorite episodes, because we finally see Squidward annoying Spongebob

#17 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6111 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the time period. If you count the current episodes (about 2006-present), squidward is the victim and spongebob is the jerk. For the older episodes that's not always the case, its about half and half or a little more squidward's fault. Spongebob was somewhat mature during the older episodes but the spongebob of today is borderline retarded.

It's squidward's fault when he gets annoyed at anything spongebob and patrick do like when they're playing the in the imagination box. Spongebob and patrick are happily playing inside their box not bothering anybody but squidward feels jealous and tries to ruin their fun. Squidward also takes advantage of spongebob's innocence a lot like when tells him to pointless tasks at the krusty krab. A perfect example is when squidward becomes manager and leaves spongebob alone for the entire day leaving him to do all the work while squidward has a spa day. Spongebob didn't notice why squidward was leaving but happily took over his role because spongebob's a nice guy. I probably could go on an on

It's spongebob's fault when he unintentionally hurts squidward or accidently annoys him. When squidward goes into a full body cast, Spongebob tries to take care of him but makes things worse for squidward. Spongebob wasn't trying to be annoying but he was annoying and hurting squidward. On opposite day spongebob tries to be the opposite of himself which is squidward thinking he should go into squidward;s house. This is the worst timing because the lady trying to sell squidwards house ends up getting freaked out ruining his chance of leaving. Spongebob was being annoying trying to be squidward and ruined his chances of moving which hurt squidward(partially squidward's fault for telling spongebob it was opposite day).

#18 Edited by TheJester (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Squiddy was always my favourite.

#19 Posted by xlab3000 (3327 posts) - - Show Bio

Squidward is not a jerk. Spongebob and Patrick annoys the heck out of him most of the time.

#20 Posted by The Stegman (25094 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not a jerk, he's the "normal" character. The one who the audience can relate to, he adds sanity to the rest of the cast's madness.

#21 Edited by joshmightbe (24961 posts) - - Show Bio

If he is a jerk SB and Patrick made him one, also if those two were real people they would be ruled incompetent and probably not be allowed to live by themselves.

#22 Edited by XImpossibruX (5180 posts) - - Show Bio

In the old episodes they annoy Squidward as a by-product of their wacky adventures.

In the new episodes Nickelodeon ran out of ideas, so they just make Spongebob annoy Squidward for no reason.

#23 Posted by spidermanandsuperman (283 posts) - - Show Bio

The funny thing is spongebobs trying to be nice to him when he annoys squidward

#24 Posted by spidermanandsuperman (283 posts) - - Show Bio

The funny thing is spongebobs trying to be nice to him when he annoys squidward

#25 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13427 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the time period. If you count the current episodes (about 2006-present), squidward is the victim and spongebob is the jerk. For the older episodes that's not always the case, its about half and half or a little more squidward's fault. Spongebob was somewhat mature during the older episodes but the spongebob of today is borderline retarded.

It's squidward's fault when he gets annoyed at anything spongebob and patrick do like when they're playing the in the imagination box. Spongebob and patrick are happily playing inside their box not bothering anybody but squidward feels jealous and tries to ruin their fun. Squidward also takes advantage of spongebob's innocence a lot like when tells him to pointless tasks at the krusty krab. A perfect example is when squidward becomes manager and leaves spongebob alone for the entire day leaving him to do all the work while squidward has a spa day. Spongebob didn't notice why squidward was leaving but happily took over his role because spongebob's a nice guy. I probably could go on an on

It's spongebob's fault when he unintentionally hurts squidward or accidently annoys him. When squidward goes into a full body cast, Spongebob tries to take care of him but makes things worse for squidward. Spongebob wasn't trying to be annoying but he was annoying and hurting squidward. On opposite day spongebob tries to be the opposite of himself which is squidward thinking he should go into squidward;s house. This is the worst timing because the lady trying to sell squidwards house ends up getting freaked out ruining his chance of leaving. Spongebob was being annoying trying to be squidward and ruined his chances of moving which hurt squidward(partially squidward's fault for telling spongebob it was opposite day).

this for the most part. its easier for me to forgive Spongebob and Patrick because they almost never mean to hurt anyone physically or emotionally. Squidward on the other hand can be pretty low and is just generally mean/unpleasant to anyone he meets

#26 Edited by joshmightbe (24961 posts) - - Show Bio

If you really think about it everyone on the show aside from the squirrel are horrible people

#27 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13427 posts) - - Show Bio

If you really think about it everyone on the show aside from the squirrel are horrible people

yup. ether that or just crazy. i'm beginning to hate Mr.Krabs with a passion

#28 Edited by joshmightbe (24961 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: None of them are likable at all, Sponge Bob and Patrick are dangerously stupid, Mr. Crabs is obsessively greedy and a thief, Squidward is a pompous a$$, the general citizenry of the town are self centered panicky wierdos also the show itself seems to openly advocate stupidity.

#29 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6111 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6111 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: You do realize it's a kids cartoon right? Stop taking it so seriously and enjoy its humor or don't watch it expecting a masterpiece from again, a kids cartoon.

#31 Posted by joshmightbe (24961 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21: If you're not a parent then you don't understand being forced to watch annoying crap, I don't choose to watch the show, I don't expect it to be anything but from where I sit its just a f**king dumb show, but still not as awful as that Annoying Orange abomination.

#32 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

#33 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13427 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21: If you're not a parent then you don't understand being forced to watch annoying crap, I don't choose to watch the show, I don't expect it to be anything but from where I sit its just a f**king dumb show, but still not as awful as that Annoying Orange abomination.

lol, i guess that just shows how different people can be. my mom adores the show, as do most of the adults in my family. gotta agree with you on annoying orange though. whoever thought that sh(t was a good idea is a horrible person.

#34 Posted by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

No, Patrick, mayonnaise is not an instrument.

Horseradish is not an instrument either.

#35 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like this show. I also have always wondered how he played the clarinet under water, if it's a plastic clarinet okay, but his reed would be to wet and his ligature would rust (if metal) or be ruined (if indian).

#36 Posted by _Cerberus_ (3448 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually yes he was, if SB and P were my neighbors I wouldn't mind lol.

#37 Posted by Wolfrazer (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just surprised he hasn't tried killing the two yet lol. I know, I know, kids show but still.

#38 Posted by ARMIV2 (8704 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been a few times where Squidward's gone and made himself kind of a big jerk, but as a whole I don't really see him as this loath-able character, especially in the new God-awful episodes.

#39 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6111 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Jezer (3129 posts) - - Show Bio

I still want to see that forbidden episode where Squidward kills himself.

If I had to deal with Spongebob and Patrick, I would have done that long ago.

#41 Edited by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Edited by Wolfrazer (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

@jezer said:

I still want to see that forbidden episode where Squidward kills himself.

If I had to deal with Spongebob and Patrick, I would have done that long ago.

Forbidden episode?

#43 Posted by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

Squidward is a jerk. He's not a really good person when dealing with people. But Spongebob and Patrick are annoying as hell. When he's just being his asocial, snobby self, there's nothing wrong with him. But when dealing with people, he's kind of a douche. They are, however, problematic.

#44 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13427 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just surprised he hasn't tried killing the two yet lol. I know, I know, kids show but still.

he tried to run them over with a steam roller at the end of "Opposite Day"

#45 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by Wolfrazer (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer said:

he tried to run them over with a steam roller at the end of "Opposite Day"

True, but I dunno if really was wanting to kill them but meh. Was more saying like actually kill kill them.

#47 Posted by The Stegman (25094 posts) - - Show Bio

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

@avenging_x_bolt: Perfect example of Squidward's personality.

So true.

To be fair, if I was in his shoes, working in fast food as an adult with goals that he will never fufill while living next to an annoying sponge and a dumb starfish, I'd be like that too...hell, I'm already like that.

#48 Edited by King-Stranglehold da first (3264 posts) - - Show Bio
@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

Basically this... Excellent post.

#49 Posted by HumanRocket (8680 posts) - - Show Bio

Well squiddy works at a krusty krab dealing with bad customers dealing with a cheap boss and he's stuck there for maybe the rest of his life. His dream of being a world famous musician is all but gone. His rival from college or high school squilam is more sucessful than squiddy. With all of that he has to deal with sponge and Patrick on a constant bases and that can be annoying BUT u can also look at it from the view point that squidward'a life didn't go according to plan BUT atleast he has a neighbor in sponge he wants to make him happy and tries to make him smile. Sponge is young and still immature so he can't really see what he does can be obnoxious. So long short answer depends on your point of viwe